UK Government - House of Lords Employee Reviews

great work place
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 November 2018
During my shifts, I control and manage my section providing a smooth running service in all of our Catering and Retail Services outlets including the Fine Dining Restaurant, Bars, Members Restaurant and Banqueting operation.
Great job
Parliamentary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abroad/London8 October 2018
Government Work abroad communicating with heads of state and on occasion meeting with them. Much Travel needed within the role which was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
travel to unusual places
Cons
places not always nice
Great place to work, poor salaries
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London sw1a 1aa25 June 2017
Exciting, but old fashioned. Typical day liaising with key stakeholders, peers, civil servants. You need to get your head around ancient procedures and arcane language.
Higher grade security
Junior Ceremonial Doorkeeper (Former Employee) –  Westminster25 June 2017
A prestigious position serving The Queen and her Family also the Lords and Ladies. Security of the House of Lords Chamber ensuring no member of the public try to gain access without valid authority. Security for HRS whenever she or her family visited and security for them on the State Opening of Parliament.
Pros
Fare wages excellent holidays opportunity for advancement
Cons
Once into the days work you never know when home time is it could be 4pm or 4am the next day
Prestigious!
Intern (Former Employee) –  London4 April 2017
Shadowing Lords in House of Lords was one of the biggest opportunity of my life in terms of experience and prestige of the place. So much to learn, so much to see!
Company of opportunities
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2016
a Typical day of work at the the River Restaurant busy friendly environment, serving customer breakfast, lunch and dinner.
the establishment give me some training courses health and safety, food and hygiene and more..
co-workers and management was great team work
There was no hard time because we really new how to work as team, one covering each other back
most enjoyable moment was seen our customer leaving our canteen happy with the smile
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
41 hours of plus overtime
Brilliant if you have an interest in politics
Senior Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Westminster18 December 2014
The best working environment I have been in. we never had a typical day as I worked in the Printed Paper Office where I would update our database of Parliamentary and Non parliamentary publications. I would handle request from Peers and members of staff for publications and stationery. there was a lot of research in this post as well. Me and my co-workers had a good understanding and we helped each other with request for publications.

The hardest part of my job was Budget Day because of the amount of publications that are involved with the budget and the months before Summer Recess as that would be when all the NHS Annual Accounts and Reports would come in. During that time period we would have upwards of 100 publications a day to input on our system as well as the day to day running of the office.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the interaction I had with the Peers who are very understandable people when you get to know them.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No cons
My personal review
Assistant Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG10 December 2014
An incredible place to work in.
A lively place where you don't know who is going to walk through the door next.
Bonding well with your fellow workers.
A very busy place to work in, never a dull moment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being there.
Very hard to describe, the friendship you made with everyone.
Being part of a huge team of staff.
Very prestigious workplace
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westminster10 January 2014
I would highly recommend this to all my friends and family as a great place to work. They offer excellent work life balance and everyone is so friendly.
I learnt many interesting facts about British history whilst working there and also got to learn the processes and policies for committees and bills etc.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being involved in some highly controversial Committees and seeing the end report being published for public viewing.
Pros
Subsidised lunches, lots of holiday, excellent work life balance, fantastic pension scheme