UK Government - House of Commons

UK Government - House of Commons Employee Reviews

United Kingdom44 reviews
brilliant staff and co workers always there to help etc and plenty of scope to better my role in the company they really enjoyed my role with tham and constantly gave me apraisals to all people in the group
Pros
brill place
Cons
long travel
Nothing much to add, the whole place is needing a total renovation urgently. I was astonished by the low standards of their kitchens and how old the whole place has been kept over the years,uncared-for.
Be prepared and proactive. Parliament is an ever-changing, fast-paced environment, you must prepare for every eventuality meticulously. You must be hard working, enthusiastic and remain calm in high pressured situations.
Working conditions are extremely poor and the pressure is immense. Management isn't great and your customers are also your employer so basically what they want they get.
A typical day would be extremely busy owing to constituent phone calls, liaising with government bodies and attempting to find the best possible resolution to each case. I learned a tremendous amount while working here and would highly recommend it to anyone.
The way you feel about the job depends very much on the MP you work for and the colleagues you share an office with (the offices are often quite small!) However, it's an interesting environment and there is always scope for networking, if you wish to create new job opportunities.
Good, clean, organised workplace with professional Environment. Staff patient and helpful towards new employees, and open to adjusting for their needs.
i had the time of my life at this place, all the co-workers were extremely friendly and welcoming when i started,
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long wait to enter the house of commons
Long hours, very stressful, not really well payed, too many minimum hours contracts. The management will stress you more than the customers. Same customers every day, after a while it is easy to get boring
-Friendly staff
-Opportunity to progress

-Work independently when needed

-Support from colleagues

-Chance to use initiative

-Interesting place to work
Working here has been a particularly great experience. You are able to learn so much and gain a vast amount of knowledge and insight. I would recommend working here to anybody.
Working at the Palace of Westminster is an experience in itself. It's a community with it's own florist, hairdresser, etc. A closed bubble. You'll see household names every day, popping to the canteen to get a coffee or a sticky bun. A very hectic environment with no two days the same.
Pros
subsidised food
Cons
Pressure
Working as a researcher gives great insight into how government works, and a good understanding of constituents' concerns and priorities on the ground.
As a student at the university, this was the first roper office job I ever had. The hardest part of the job was trying to get use to following instructions at first.
Great place to work experience and learn how the parliament works. And be a part of day to day operations of the palace and interact with visitors to promote work of the parliament.
Before my placement, I felt like I was going to not fit in with the people that work there because I did not have any form of interview before my placement. This made me quite worried for the reason that I had not met anyone that works within this organisation and I felt like there was going to be no one of my race within the working environment as it came across as quite a prestigious region of work, well from my point of view anyways. This however was not the case, I felt quite relaxed after seeing the many different type of races that work in this department. I felt very welcomed as a work experience student.
My general tasks involved answering phone calls and filing. on the last 3 days however I worked at the constituency office, doing data inputting which I really enjoyed because i enjoy IT and mathematics.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
N/a
One of the most insightful highlights of my life. An amazing culture and environment. I would do it all over again if I had the choice. Very great at supplementing your education.
Worked with local MP on a one week work experience placement. Learnt a lot about political processes and the workings of the MPs staff and of overall governance.
Unfortunately the House of Commons are struggling to control a workforce made up of disgruntled ex-police staff who have been forcibly ejected from their chosen employer.

Because of harsh HR rules and the application of them staff morale has plummeted and has given rise to an over-active staff union. Unfortunately they are unwilling to negotiate or bargain which has resulted in a very hostile environment for junior/middle managers.
Pros
Beautiful buildings
Cons
Terrible shift pattern
A great working environment where everyone is moving around a lot so if you like to be always on the move then working her is the right place for you.
An amazing place to work, with colleagues from all walks of life. A challenging yet rewarding workplace for those who enjoy working in the Public Sector.