UK Government - Home Office Employee Reviews

Boring, No security, Rubbish Pay
Administrative Officer (AO) (Former Employee) –  Street19 April 2019
I was paid minimum wage and it took them over a year to find me a job. Among other terrible ways I was treated, people here are stuck up and entitled. No clear instructions and everyone is thrown in without inductions or training. No proper fire safety training either and bad management. Also no job security and made to feel you can be sacked for anything.
Pros
Nine to Five Job
Cons
Bad Management
Goo place to work
North West Regional Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool28 February 2019
Good culture, proffesional and a good range of jobs available. Good processes well documented and good IT system's.would reconmend as a place to work.
Pros
Proffesional
Cons
London cetric
You will never stop learning in this business
assisting other asylum seekers (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 January 2019
I personally learn something new everyday and enjoyed being the voice of others and helping them communicating better.
working in a different places meeting new clients and professionals from different backgrounds and cultures is awesome and I enjoyed it to the max.
Pros
Being the voice of others and helping them communicating better.
Cons
nothing
Very busy office.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Bootle14 January 2019
Fast paced job with tight deadlines, Excellent training program and strong staff support. Flexible working hours with good holidays maternity leave and sick leave.
Pros
Good working condition
Cons
Tight deadlines which could be difficult to achieve
Excellent
Cleaner and key holder (Former Employee) –  Offices Sidcup6 January 2019
Hard work in offices keeping toilets spotless, staff room and recycling rubbish sometimes locking building. and unsetting alarm.

Dealing with making sure their is enough stock in and reordering too.
Pros
Tea or Coffee
Cons
Wages not alway paid on time
The Home Office
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield4 January 2019
I worked at the Home Office but through an Agency - Brook Street.

Although I would probably not return I would still recommend working there and I have already recommended working there to many people. The work can be interesting and Management are usually professional and approachable. Most teams offer flextime which is a real plus and it is Monday to Friday working - if overtime is available the rate is very good - the best I have ever received. The dress code was casual when I worked there but this may have changed.

The only downside for me and why I would not return is they have hot desking which I hate.
Pros
Good working conditions, good hours, well paid
Cons
Hot desking
Productive and interesting place to work
Agency Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon17 November 2018
Very interesting work. Team support. Weekly meetings. Good management, alot of training and regular feedback. Staff very friendly.Promotion prospects and mentor service.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long meetings
Secure when permanent member of staff but tricky for new starters and agency.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield8 November 2018
Generally a stable place to work however, management structure is very hierarchical and convoluted. Little opportunity for advancement within the department. Required to move department to advance.

Reaction to change is poor. Little support for junior members of staff. Senior management are very self focused.
A good platform to earn a living
Administrative Officer Team leader (Former Employee) –  Croydon and Angel2 November 2018
Then the mother of all employers with whom I was very proud to start my English working civil service life even though the pay was rubbish. But then at that time there seemed to be some ray of permanency and job security which very quickly turned into fallacy. Workplace culture was a race infested environment. As a black and ethnic minority staff it was more like go get your self a cleaning job and leave our 'white collared job' alone demeaning and relegating your educational background and accomplishment. It was very frustrating and tormenting.
Pros
good platform to revel on fake insecurity
Cons
Frustrating and demeaning experience with ruthless managers..
Average
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands31 October 2018
Worked as an EO. Enjoyed the work to the extent that lunch breaks were skipped on quite a few occasions even. Always on target and stayed behind to work by going above and beyond. Some of the staff were great to work with. Others not so much.
Management was pretty poor. Salary not that great especially with the cuts made, so duties were increased as a result, but the salary stayed the same.
Noticed that most of the time, staff in senior roles (i.e. team leaders, managers) didn't work nor were they encouraging, which affected the staff morale and the overall mood. There's a lot of micro-management.
Pros
gaining experience, meeting new people (be it good or bad)
Cons
micro-management, poor salary for the amount of duties carried out, poor management
Gained valuable specialist skills and experience.
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Immigration28 October 2018
I have gained various valuable skills and experience which are transferable to other roles. Some of these skills include, strong organisation, attention to detail and excellent communication skills as I have had to communicate with different people on a daily basis both internally and externally.
great job very interesting
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 Station20 September 2018
every day was different
counting immigration cards and recording them on database
learning how airport behind the scenes work
variety of staff in office and out of office
shift work
Pros
shift working hours available early shifts made days longer
Cons
no cons enjoyed the job
Very challenging because some of the projects were very political
Test Manager & Test Lead (Former Employee) –  London, UK17 September 2018
A typical would start with reviewing overnight Test Results and plan for a Team meeting.
Then have a 30 mins Stand-up meeting with the team for planning and agreeing on the main tasks and goals for the day.Fr
Pros
Free fruits available in the morning
Cons
Some times the meetings did over-run
Good Employer
Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  London11 September 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Fujitsu... It was a good place to work..They encouraged flexible working and let you manage your own diary and locations of work.
regular employment
Administrative Assistant & Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire3 September 2018
Regular employment for 12 years full time. Good employees restaurant. Civil Service government service. Immigration Visas. Covered by the security of official secrets act.
Pros
convenient restaurant
Cons
hot desking
Superb Place to work for.
Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  Dover District, Kent29 August 2018
this place changed me as a worker as it helped me gain multiple highly levelled skills and it improved my overall working ability. I feel like i still feel the effects of it today.
Pros
Free Lunch, good people
office duties
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Sheffield6 August 2018
learnt about the importance of being accurate and keeping data secure. Enjoyed every part of the job and the people were really friendly and helpful. The managers were extremely helpful
Pros
variety of job
Cons
extreme concentration needed
Interesting experience working for a Royal Charity
Chief Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham Head Office18 July 2018
I introduced a modern internal computer system where there was none before linked directly to highly efficient print shop for monthly publications
Dealing with treasury and major government departments was interesting
Pros
Travel between separate sites in UK
Cons
Difficult business culture
Typical day at work
PMO Analyst (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London9 July 2018
My typical day at work was always busy but i had a life balanced outside work.
I learned to be patience and the management team was really professional
Busy workplace , but worthwhile Job.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool4 June 2018
I used to start at 07.00 as I was on flexi time , this meant that I could have 30 minutes for lunch and leave at 15.00 if I needed to, but most times I would work to about 16.30 and build up some flexi time to use at another time.

I learned at about work place management and also about computer use etc.
Pros
Flexi Time