UK Government - Forestry Commission

UK Government - Forestry Commission Employee Reviews

United Kingdom38 reviews
The people and the Forestry Commission make the organisation. Lovely people to work with, however the job itself is not really what I am about. Admin work is part of my daily tasks, however I do miss interacting with the public and customer service.
Working with like-minded people. Happy environment and nice surrounding environment in the middle of Alice Holt Forest. Subsidiary discounts. A little underpaid for work carried out.
Loved working within the forestry commission, I am an out doors person and love nature and the countryside so learning and working was an absolute pleasure
Pros
Learning and helping the environment
Cons
Lots of red tape
Great for improving your skills. Managers very open minded and empathic. A great place to expand on and educate yourself on England's forestry and woodland creatures.
Pros
home working
The company is resaerch drivern in teh reaserch and training division, therefore generally, the division is often looking for new developments in all the units. Free lunches and transport into teh Central Business District are provided. Renumeration is generally below standard, often half salary may be deposisted for months on end.
Pros
Free lunches, Reseaach driven
Cons
Low renumeration
Despite a chaotic transition (still in progress) from one agency type to another this is a great place to work with lovely people, excellent benefits and great support.
Left their employment due to family health issues. Passionate about trees and the environment, this was my ideal job. This was a job where you felt you could make a difference to people’s lives and the general environment.
Pros
Ideal job.
Cons
None.
Great place to work but unfortunately it is only temporary but have loved it whilst I was in college. Now I have finished it is time to move on and begin my career
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
No chance of progression
The Forestry Commission as it currently exists is a great company to work for. Everyone is friendly and helpful, it's like being part of a group of friends working on something together.

However due to the Country split, the Forestry Commission as it stands will cease to exist soon, and I think the new company will become like many others and will be a sterile and non-personal one to work for.
Pros
Flexi time.
Cons
Morale currently low due to division.
I enjoyed working with my associate who taught me everything. I liked being outside in the forest. I enjoyed cutting down trees with different saws. we made a bench in the woodhouse. it was a great experience
Pros
we had lunch provided
Cons
bad weather
Even though it was only work experience/volunteering, I ensured that I gave my all because it was my duty to do so. It was difficult work in hot, sunny weather, but due to hard work and determination, I was able to complete what was required of me.
Cons
Long hours, early starting time
The position has enabled me to expand my Engineering experience and development my skills.

Enable me to network with my peers across the country share ideas.

The only downside is many managers are not "managers" as with most government bodies have been internally promoted but given the key skills to manage staff.
Pros
Good work life balance, outside enviroment in the woods
Cons
Salary
Forestry commision was boring due to doing it with friends from school and teachers, me as an individual don't like to be doing work with friends because i am easily distracted by them if im on my own then im always on task.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
The days dragged.
Good people to work for
They are very informative, proactive, hardworking, passionate

Enjoyed working with them

Very welcoming and supportive

They do deserve a lot more in looking after the environment as well as dealing with customers, excellent customer service.
No two days the same.
From programming works, to inspecting dams and bridges.

Designing, preparing contract documents and tendering.

RE on a tree top walk way. Constructing car parks, roads trails, mountain bike trails, installing and designing service, sewage, water, electric, tele comms cctv.

Providing professional advice on civil engineering and providing SHE advice as well as part of the country HS Wellbeing safety group.

The worst part of the job is not being a specialist, but an all round jack of all trades, but that means there is always something new!

The culture in the Forestry Commission is a can do attitude.
Pros
Working in the Forest. Varied job.
Cons
Lots of travel, low pay
was hard work and also very tiring long days and being paid by the tree meant you had to give it youre all everytime you went out whitch i saw as a good challenge
I started this job in the early 70s when I was 15 years old. I stayed in this job for roughly 8 years and I found it very enjoyable. I found being outdoors very exciting and enjoyed working outside.
This was a good training opportunity I took which gained me valuable experience for my next job, I also gained experience with chainsaws and other power tools,
I done tree planting for this company I loved doing this job because it was outside work and the work wasn't to hard for me my boos was a grate guy and my workmates
Pros
Cons
no to long hours
Too many meetings about when the next meeting is going to be. Micro managers setting bad examples to their staff re Health & Safety e.g.. Do as I say, not as I do. No support from badly trained managers; just get on with mundane job and don't complain or they make life difficult for you. Don't have your own ideas on how to do things as you won't be listened to. Don't complain as you'll be threatened with disciplinary action. No recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Listed above
I loved working for the forestry commission. The staff made everything fun, even with the repetitive daily tasks. I learnt how to deal with the general public and how to love the place that you work in at the same time!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - Forestry Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2