UK Government - Forestry Commission Employee Reviews

Productive, fun and forever learning environment
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol2 July 2019
Great for improving your skills. Managers very open minded and empathic. A great place to expand on and educate yourself on England's forestry and woodland creatures.
Pros
home working
Research driven, friendly atmosphere
Intern in the Entomology and Pathology Unit (Former Employee) –  Highlands, Harare12 March 2019
The company is resaerch drivern in teh reaserch and training division, therefore generally, the division is often looking for new developments in all the units. Free lunches and transport into teh Central Business District are provided. Renumeration is generally below standard, often half salary may be deposisted for months on end.
Pros
Free lunches, Reseaach driven
Cons
Low renumeration
A great place to work
Content Designer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh18 February 2019
Despite a chaotic transition (still in progress) from one agency type to another this is a great place to work with lovely people, excellent benefits and great support.
Enjoyed every minute of it
Forest management (Former Employee) –  Argyllshire23 January 2019
Left their employment due to family health issues. Passionate about trees and the environment, this was my ideal job. This was a job where you felt you could make a difference to people’s lives and the general environment.
Pros
Ideal job.
Cons
None.
Visitor Services Operative (Current Employee) –  Cannock Chase, Staffordshire20 May 2018
Great place to work but unfortunately it is only temporary but have loved it whilst I was in college. Now I have finished it is time to move on and begin my career
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
No chance of progression
Great company to work for, shame it won't last
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh26 January 2018
The Forestry Commission as it currently exists is a great company to work for. Everyone is friendly and helpful, it's like being part of a group of friends working on something together.

However due to the Country split, the Forestry Commission as it stands will cease to exist soon, and I think the new company will become like many others and will be a sterile and non-personal one to work for.
Pros
Flexi time.
Cons
Morale currently low due to division.
good place to work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Forest of Dean9 January 2018
I enjoyed working with my associate who taught me everything. I liked being outside in the forest. I enjoyed cutting down trees with different saws. we made a bench in the woodhouse. it was a great experience
Pros
we had lunch provided
Cons
bad weather
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Market Rasen, Lincolnshire15 October 2017
Even though it was only work experience/volunteering, I ensured that I gave my all because it was my duty to do so. It was difficult work in hot, sunny weather, but due to hard work and determination, I was able to complete what was required of me.
Cons
Long hours, early starting time
Good place to work with frenidly people
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northwich3 October 2017
The position has enabled me to expand my Engineering experience and development my skills.

Enable me to network with my peers across the country share ideas.

The only downside is many managers are not "managers" as with most government bodies have been internally promoted but given the key skills to manage staff.
Pros
Good work life balance, outside enviroment in the woods
Cons
Salary
Very boring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire7 September 2017
Forestry commision was boring due to doing it with friends from school and teachers, me as an individual don't like to be doing work with friends because i am easily distracted by them if im on my own then im always on task.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
The days dragged.
Excellent
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire5 September 2017
Good people to work for
They are very informative, proactive, hardworking, passionate
Enjoyed working with them
Very welcoming and supportive
They do deserve a lot more in looking after the environment as well as dealing with customers, excellent customer service.
A great environment to work in!
No two days the same.
From programming works, to inspecting dams and bridges.
Designing, preparing contract documents and tendering.
RE on a tree top walk way. Constructing car parks, roads trails, mountain bike trails, installing and designing service, sewage, water, electric, tele comms cctv.
Providing professional advice on civil engineering and providing SHE advice as well as part of the country HS Wellbeing safety group.
The worst part of the job is not being a specialist, but an all round jack of all trades, but that means there is always something new!
The culture in the Forestry Commission is a can do attitude.
Pros
Working in the Forest. Varied job.
Cons
Lots of travel, low pay
enjoyable
Tree Planter (Former Employee) –  Moray11 April 2017
was hard work and also very tiring long days and being paid by the tree meant you had to give it youre all everytime you went out whitch i saw as a good challenge
Very interesting job
Woodcutter (Former Employee) –  Dumfries and Galloway3 April 2017
I started this job in the early 70s when I was 15 years old. I stayed in this job for roughly 8 years and I found it very enjoyable. I found being outdoors very exciting and enjoyed working outside.
Training
Forestry operative (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 March 2017
This was a good training opportunity I took which gained me valuable experience for my next job, I also gained experience with chainsaws and other power tools,
good
Forestry worker (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire27 February 2017
I done tree planting for this company I loved doing this job because it was outside work and the work wasn't to hard for me my boos was a grate guy and my workmates
Pros
Cons
no to long hours
Repetitive, mundane tasks, no opportunity for advancement.
Forest Craftsperson (Former Employee) –  North East1 February 2017
Too many meetings about when the next meeting is going to be. Micro managers setting bad examples to their staff re Health & Safety e.g.. Do as I say, not as I do. No support from badly trained managers; just get on with mundane job and don't complain or they make life difficult for you. Don't have your own ideas on how to do things as you won't be listened to. Don't complain as you'll be threatened with disciplinary action. No recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Listed above
Fun but repetitive
Seasonal ranger (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire3 January 2017
I loved working for the forestry commission. The staff made everything fun, even with the repetitive daily tasks. I learnt how to deal with the general public and how to love the place that you work in at the same time!
Very old school !!!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lochgilphead21 December 2016
All staff were very nice most days as like any other office.

Normal admin as with most offices but completed by out of date methods.
Cons
Not open to change and work loads not there!
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Poundland, UK9 November 2016
This was a voluntary role that i enjoyed but did not pay. cant volunteer forever but dont regret the time i was there abd involved in the projects like planting new trees in place of dead ones etc.
Pros
good people
Cons
unpaid