UK Government - Food Standards Agency

UK Government - Food Standards Agency Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Interesting work but often stressful due to exterior pressures. Good collaborative, flexible working culture.
A typical day could include speaking to businesses or members of the public or working on bringing through a new law.

Opportunity to develop drafting skills. Largely working in project-based teams, but sometimes immediate responses needed (e.g. Parliamentary Questions, media enquiries). Opportunity for non-scientists to develop some knowledge of food science (e.g. microbiology).
Filing, Dealing with travel arrangements, ordering stationery, booking rooms for meetings and refreshments and responsible for cross-checking references for the COT report.
Pros
Open and kind colleagues
Cons
did not get promotion within the FSA
Heavy emphasis on detail, quite demanding. Work has to b e carried out with precision and on time.

Not much wiggle room for typos or errors in data with this role
Cons
Focused on ensuring food safety and standards. Hard working and dedicated staff. Many areas of expertise. Innovative and interesting work. Good experience.
very good job, promotion and excellent tasks and able to get on with colleagues.

interesting tasks and skills to learn, working with various colleagues and in London and other parts of London.
Pros
Cons
low pay
Start by checking the jobs allocated to me. I prioritize jobs accordingly.
Respond to telephone inquiries.

learned good telephone skills and multi tasking skills.

Management updates to staff.

The working culture was job sharing.

Hardest part was constant changes in the team.

The most enjoyable part was to complete my jobs successful.
Pros
Cons
Normal Hours
I had a productive 7 months working for the FSA as a contractor. I was given freedom to move in my role but had back up when needed from my manager, as well as healthy oversight.

They allow some working from home and are very flexible with hours as long as your work is getting done.
Pros
Cons
Complicated org structure means knowing and reaching parts of the organisation is difficult
• Sicherstellung der Qualität und Sicherheit beim Tiertransport und Tierhaltung
• Inspektion von Betriebsstätten der Nahrungsmittelindustrie (Schlachthäuser, uws.)

• Meldung von Tuberkuloseberichten an DEFRA (Ministerium für Landswirtschaft und Umwelt in Großbritannien)

• Ausstellung amtlicher Gesundheitszertifikate für den nationalen und internationalen Handel
Pros
Gehalt
Cons
lange Arbeitzeite
Valoración positiva de la empresa.
Industria alimentaria
Good place to work for scientists, especially microbiologists. Friendly colleagues, notably in Communications Division. I'm grateful for the editorial experience gained but the Agency lost its information service through a re-focusing on records management. I have benefited from the work experience but personally would have done better, given my background, to have used my information skills and teaching background in an arts environment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Government - Food Standards Agency?
My day would normally start around 7am and during the 7 years I have been here I have learnt so much about the food we eat and the industry that supplies the consumer.
My co workers are a joy to work with, some of whom have the skills to go far.

The hardest part of the job for me was when an outbreak of Ecoli157 broke out in the Bridgend area, as a result a little boy died and the owner of the infected meat plant that supplied meat to the schools in the area was sent to prison.

The most enjoyable is being able to help so many consumers with their enquiries, especially now we have the scoring certificate or 'food hygiene rating' in place in every food establishment in Wales.
Pros
Flexi working pattern
Cons
Rain on some days
unsocial hours
paid holidays

blame culture

autonomous

don't value their staff
Pros
pension
Cons
evrything else
Governmental organization, not allowed to comment.
Except to say

Early starts

Can be late finishes

Co-workers are generally ok
Pros
n/c
Cons
n/c
A really interesting place to work where I learnt all about food safety and the science behind keeping our food safe.

I liked the scientific basis on which all policy decisions were taken.

I didn't have a typical day as I worked in the Private Office of the Chief Executive and Chair where you need to work flexibly and be reactive to news stories and the needs of the 12 individual non Executive Board members.

I enjoyed working on projects for the corporate services - corporate plan, annual report, recruiting new Board members.
Pros
Loved working with the Board members with their different backgrounds and knowledge levels
Cons
Hard times for Government with ever restrictive budgets
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - Food Standards Agency. Our community is ready to answer.
UK Government - Food Standards Agency Reviews by Location