UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Employee Reviews

United Kingdom4 reviews
DCMS is a fantastic place to work with a real purpose and shared vision to support Britain to grow. It’s one of the only Whitehall departments who is consistently working on advancing the country, rather than handling political and economic messes!
The culture is good but the leadership seems to be lacking real “oomph”! Consistently staff at middle management are left to make difficult decisions without a strong steer from senior civil servants and there is a real distinct uncertainty about what the future holds for DCMS - no leader has been able to identify this.
Pros
Fantastic employer contributions into the pension
Cons
Long hours, poor salary and lack of strong leaders
Great place to work with fantastic people and fantastic policy areas. Excellent bosses with a good and supportive culture. Lots of opportunities to learn and develop.
Pros
Gym, canteen, choir
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Planing & resurching what type of customers to target & where to find them. What they have in place already & where your services would fit in with there existing frame work. Arrange meetings to discuss how you would fit in with there existing business. Find out there needs & requirments. Arrange site survays & put proposals forward. Arrange with managment what equipment & materails/labour are needed to compleat the jobs in a timley & cost effective manor.
Lias with customers on feed back & future works that may be required.

Make sure that all relevent paper work & accreditations are up to date.

Make sure that staff are happy in there work & that they have every thing needed to do the job to a high spec.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Cons
Making sure you get the right staff for the job
Working with the Department for Culture was the most interesting occupation I had. I learnt so many skills, and was very proud of what I accomplished there. I worked in the History and Environmental Division, dealing with buildings of historical and/or architectural significance. I worked alongside the English Heritage's Advisors, Local Authorities, Conservation and Planning Officers, members of the public, and I processed listing advice. I used all my organisational, interpersonal and decision skills. I processed, organised, managed the most important cases with urgent deadlines first, always an impeccable organised office desk and with all information dealt with, logged them as they come along onto the database and prioritising the most urgent ones first. It was challenging as for the volume of cases received on a daily basis, some were very high profile, but I handled them quickly, efficiently and confidentially, within deadlines, also I made quick and prompt decisions for the processing. Daily work was never the same at the Division, I scrutinised and analysed each advice, reports, on the merits of the buildings, with also the cooperation of work colleagues and my line Managers. When the merits of listing were all met and after gathering all information and EH's advice, I processed them, analysed then present them as a Statutory and official document to the Secretary of State for signature and contacted all interested parties with the decision, including the owners, the local authorities. I submitted many reports to the Minister depending on the level of importance of - more...
Pros
Visits in various cities of buildings of architectural and historical merits
Cons
Informing sometimes angry owners who opposed totally the listing decision of their buildings
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. Our community is ready to answer.
4.8
4.3
4.8
UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Reviews by Job Title
UK Government - Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Reviews by Location