UK Government - Cabinet Office

UK Government - Cabinet Office Employee Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews
Pleasant place to work
I enjoyed working here and got on really well with my boss, as I had heard that he had been through several PAs previous to me.

After some changes within our team I decided to leave.
Pros
Convenient place to work, nice people
Gradist
Whilst I stayed a civil servant for nearly 40 years it wasn’t without its trials. Work life balance is a joke. I used to receive nearly 400 emails every day. I attended back to back meetings every day and the only way o could keep afloat was to work in my own time, evening and weekends.

The pay for the number of hours you had to woul was not good, and senior managers were inexperienced and promoted way above their ability to do the job.
Pros
30 days holidays a year
Great for experience
I came to working for government completely blind, they were very inclusive and nurturing.

The institution itself can be quite elitist and so while i was very lucky to have supportive peers and managers, many others in my position may not have been so lucky.

My role was very challenging and i learned a great deal, not only about my role specifically but about Government as a whole.
A mixed ball of cherries
Technology is a buz, but culture, job security and management is questionable.
Highly technical team, ground-breaking programs of work and the general advantage of producing really meaningful work.
Good for development
No day is the same and management make an effort to ascertain your plans for the future. With that in mind that do suggest options for your personal development.
Pros
Flexi
Great work place
Great online agency to be with, great jobs to choose from, regular updates and easy website to use, very happy with indeed and have applied for some great jobs here
Great learning environment
poor pay, should remunerated staff salaries to match other government departments. not very diverse, too much pressure, very stressful, enjoyed meeting new people.
the cabinet office
great manager / director steve very easy going and good man management skills only real issue with the job was amount of work and organisation of that work could be chaotic and uniform needed to be supplied felt very dijointed without it as i was the face of the company on a daily basis .
Pros
use of van if required prompt payment
Cons
newer van needed always issues with old van
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Government - Cabinet Office?
Good Place To work
The cabinet Office is a good pace to work , the work was very interesting, i enjoyed working with my colleagues the location close to parliament square .
Very nice workplace
Very relaxed atmosphere
Friendly staff

Management very good

Enjoyed working for this company

Plus free parking on site

Canteen very good

Overall a very nice company to work for.
Good company
Good a company to work for but the level of management needs to be improved. Staff moral needed to be improved. New senior management had great ideas to implement but the culture needed to change which takes time.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Long hour culture
Excellent.
An excellent work place to connect and learn more about the government's agenda - particularly on the overall approach to digital by default programme and data.
Exceptional
An exceptional employer, creating opportunities and career progression. The technology is cutting edge, as is the drive to succeed. The team embraced Agile techniques. The management is strong, supportive and skilled.
Pros
Culture, environment, technology
Cons
Long hours at times
busy and interesting
I enjoyed my time here and found the work varied and interesting, over the time I was here there were a lot of changes and the work load increased, however on the whole it was exceptable.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
time limits
Hated going in each day
Awful management. Felt bullied and isolated.
Apprenticeship scheme and felt I had no support. Was not confident enough to even tell my line manager how i felt due to her nature.
work experience
i had carried out a 2 week work experience which allowed me to build on my it skills and gain knowledge of how the business works in delivering information to the whole of london.
This was a good place to work. It was not very diverse, which could be improved but if you are interested in working as a assistant or in administration then it will be a great place.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
needs more diversity
great job unfortunate to lose it
i only worked there for 3 months and i enjoyed it a lot unfortunately i was let go due to family issues and my daughter having detachment issues :(

the wages were good hours were flexible no weekends which was great.

If i had the opportunity to return i would the boss was a nice guy pleasant well spoken and understanding.
Pros
good pay good working hours and pleasant to work for
Cons
n/a
A very mixed experience
There is a strong team-working ethic amongst the administrative and secretarial staff, and the work is interesting, but the management style is oppressive and draconian.
Relaxed and easy-going
Loved working here. Really good team spirit and work ethic. Spacious offices in an ideal location overlooking the River Mersey. Very friendly user base
Pros
relaxed, learnt a lot
Cons
Tbc
Overview of my role
My role involves processing nomination forms for UK National Honours. There is a constant flow of work as we accept nominations all year round. We are in charge of a set of cases delegated by the first letter of the nominees surname. We then have to start validating each case by getting other Government departments to provide comments on the individual and say what they think the right level of award would be. This means continually working with multiple people to get the case ready to put forward for a committee. Once we have all the validation we write a 500 word citation on each person for the committee so they can decide who they want to receive the award. We also get to attend the press conference before the list is published; working with the press and selected recipients.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
A lot of work
environnement agréable
bonne ambiance journée actif toujours quelque chose a faire
Pros
repas et café gratuit
Cons
mon collegue
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - Cabinet Office. Our community is ready to answer.
UK Government - Cabinet Office Reviews by Location