Turtle Bay Employee Reviews

Long and Poor
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Winchester5 October 2018
Expected to work shifts not included in your availability. When hours cut, can result in not being given any shifts or a two hours shift for the whole week. Clear favoritism from managers, seen in the hours being divided.
Poor pay, for the work expected.
When closing only paid an hour after the closing hour, regardless of whether you're staying late to finish your job due to busy service.
Not given tips from other staff, when you're entitled to them.
Pros
Environment, Laid back
Cons
Pay, Hours, Management
Management are Useless
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire27 September 2018
You're expected to come in before your shift has even started and begin to work. Extremely rude management, that will give no assistance where it is obviously needed.your hours will be taken off you with no warning, hours will be added on without you being told. you WILL NOT have any weekends off. you'll be there until sometimes 3:30am just cleaning, while being watched by a bone-idle manager, waiting to go home. basically, don't bother.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Bad environment, Bad management, Horrible hours.
Wasn’t the nicest place to work
Hostess and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth23 September 2018
Very catty with a school play ground vibe, it wasn’t somewhere I enjoyed working

You would think it would be a lovely place and company to work for but it’s really not!
Such a fun place to work
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 September 2018
I loved working here the whole goal of the company and attitude to customer service is just to make sure that everyone has fun so its such a cool place to work .
work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire11 September 2018
it was an ok place to work wasn't there long due to it being temporary work. Looking for something more permanent and they wasn't offering it at the time
should be illegal
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire4 September 2018
wage is illegal, its below minimum someone should check it out seriously.

if you dont make a certain amount of tips per table they take your wages, ITS tips people c'mon.....

started work there and the ''manager'' when he is not flirting with clientelle and or drinking he is hitting up the staff, be warned you sleep with him he becomes an insane jealous maniac, don't sleep with him and lose hours and become a 'thief' or sock waster.....

rubbish should be shut down

DONOTWORKTHERE
Pros
food is amazing
Cons
management
Very Fun Team
Food Runner / Waiter (Former Employee) –  Norwich30 August 2018
Its a shame I didnt get the hours but had a good time whilst I was there, I learnt alot whilst I was there which I appreciate alot, now I can use my skills elsewhere.
Great first taste of management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 August 2018
Started out here as waitress and got to have the opportunity to grow within the business learning from inside out and becoming apart of the wonderful management team.
Pros
Amazing fun staff
Great in site, Awful Out of site
Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Bath1 August 2018
Directors and Ops out of touch with running a restaurant, money saved is more important than money earnt which leads staff to feel unappreciated and products appear cheaper and cheaper.
Pros
Great team in site
Cons
Awful Team out of site
horrible management but lovely team
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Brixton, Greater London25 July 2018
When I worked for Turtle Bay the team I worked with were lovely however, the management was awful and unorganised, pay was ok, I never got food on shift, hours were long and would often find myself doing three 15 hour shifts in a row, health and safety hazards everywhere, tipping was incredibly poor, and you would end up leaving with maybe £10 a night.

They don't really care about customer service and more about getting as many customers in and out even if that means rushing them. You would often get complaints about food and you'll find your self dealing with nasty customers.
Pros
lovely staff, pay every week
Cons
long hours, poor management, long shifts, health and safety risks, bad tipping system
good for learning the basics and working as a team
Commis Chef/Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire8 July 2018
Pros:
Learnt how to prep food correctly
Work as part of a team
I worked on the starter section was good fast working service
Was busy at times
Time to prep in mornings

Cons:
Had to wait very long time to get paid
Come and go staff never really a perminat Head Chef
Very small workspaces
Pros
1 hour break
Cons
Fun workplace, Poor management.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winchester8 July 2018
If you get the right team you will have a wonderful time at Turtle Bay. However, management is appalling. Pay isn't that great and their tip policy is awful. Overall, a fun place to work if you're young or a student but isn't very fullfilling if you try to progress higher than waitress level. Also, be prepared to work long hours with no breaks.
Pros
Sometimes free food on shift. Incentives. Competitions. Team outings.
Cons
Very long shifts. Disorganised management. Bad tipping policy.
Run away don’t think of Working there
Senior Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 July 2018
Start as good place for chefs then turn to be one of horrible places ever to work for as a chef !
You are no body and worth nothing. Waiter can tell the head chef what to do it’s easy to get sacked.
No future for chefs and no money it’s all about saving money. Trust me out there there lots of companies can give you fair pay and respect. Don’t work for turtle bay you will wast you career.
Pros
Cons
No respect no life no money
Just run away from this company
Junior Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset23 April 2018
people are working on the kitchen without any training, lack of development opportunities, managers focused on making money without respect for chefs... Just no worst company
Was good to start with
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield14 April 2018
I absolutely loved my job working for turtle bay when I first joined the company however that soon changed. The quality of food dropped and the staff turnover was ridiculous. Management had to work a minimum of 52 hours a week not including breaks, we ended up working between 60-70 hours per week. I wouldn’t recommend working for this company.
Pros
Mystery diner bonuses at the time
Cons
Pretty much everything
Fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow18 March 2018
Good enviroment, if you are commited there is many benefits they can offer.

Fun and open minded managers, who are able to help you grow within the company if you want to.
Tipping policy against the law
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Cardiff10 March 2018
My experience was pretty bad. Management was awful, stupid tipping policy when you end up paying from your own money if you don't make enough tips. Loud music from the evening.
Pros
Cons
No Tips. Loud music. Long hours
Fun place to work.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire21 February 2018
Turtle Bay is a very fun and happy workplace. The work colleagues were an amazing bunch of people to work with. The hours were long but it was the team that made it all worth while.
fun and busy
Cocktail Bartender (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk19 February 2018
Although my time with them was short, (I had to leave to go to Canada unexpectedly) I had a wonderful time working there. I felt supported, had fun, and there were wonderful benefits that came along.
Pros
automatic reward if secret shopper is pleased with your service
Cons
long hours, but that was because it had only just opened
Abusive Management
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 February 2018
Complete lack of appreciation for staff and their lives. Management culture is very much cut where you can no matter the consequence, even if it means sacrificing staff well being.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long hours, no appreciation.