Turning Point Employee Reviews

Appalling Management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire16 April 2019
Believe the reviews they are a true reflection on the Management. Bullying, cover ups, shocking treatment towards staff. To save your sanity avoid. I think the managers at the top arnt aware of how the service managers are covering up things from being seen or heard at the top. Change managers be better place to work they are letting down the company.
Pros
Individuals you support
Overworked and underpayed
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire14 April 2019
Well what can i say, worked for turning point for over 4 years before moving on. Shifts are longgg 24 hours from 2pm to following day 2pm. Wages are very poor and management are non existent. And some service users can be very challenging I personally wouldn't recommend woking for turning point.
Pros
Some of the staff are nice
Cons
Long hours low pay, management poor
Chaotic and uncaring
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 March 2019
I’ve worked in a few different TP project and culture varies greatly depending on management. Turning Point is very management heavy and does not care greatly about their frontline staff. Development depends on the project you work for, I have a mixed bag experience,
Overall I would say TP is an extremely chaotic and dishonest company which lacks transparency and empathy. The sickness policy is outrageous and I’ve no idea how they get away with that. Basically you don’t get paid for EVERY first two days of your sickness episode. People end up coming to work ill and exhausted spreading colds and flus on others as cannot afford calling sick.
Annual leave allowance is a joke. Most training is a tick box excercise (with exceptions). HR is disastrous and often takes weeks to reply to queries.
Oh, also don’t expect anyone will care about your wellbeing. If you’re with TP better have strong boundaries, good coping strategies and a private counsellor to survive.
Pros
Internal vacancies
Cons
Sickness policy, annual leave, Hr, management, chaos
Avoid like the weird guy on a train..
Learning Disabilities Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Rotherham20 March 2019
No support from management. More obsessed with “policy and procedure” than the well being of their staff. You’re not a valued member of a team, you’re a monkey working for peanuts, and if you don’t pick up your “fair share” of extra shifts, they make you feel guilty.
Pros
The people you care for.
Cons
Everything else.
Awful awful place to work.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ramsgate14 March 2019
Horrendous company to work for.
Lots of bullying that takes place towards both staff memebers and the vulnerable individuals Turning Point support.
Employees think they can take control of the clients and tell them what they can and cannot do. Things where getting stolen as well as the individuals monies. Many reports are made by various staff members but everything gets "brushed under the carpet". No immidate/ if any actions where taken towards the staff memeber implementing these nasty acts towards the service users, which only has me assuming that management DO NOT care about the safety and welfare of these individuals. This bad practice still continues.
The wage is also poor for the hours you are expected to work.
AVOID.
Pros
There are none.
Cons
Everything.
Openly discriminates against staff.
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester8 March 2019
The core values should be that the clients come first. They don't. People were going without food where I worked. It's all about profits and they claim that it's a non profit organisation. Rubbish.
If you have a physical disability they openly discriminate against you. They do not want the best for the clients. An abusive member of staff was protected by a team leader as supervisions were destroyed. The entire company is a disgrace and I wouldn't allow anyone under their care.
Pros
Great colleagues.
Cons
The company should be investigated and closed.
Support worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, Dover7 March 2019
Lovely place to work. New unit, only recently set up. Managers are very fair. Training is extremely comprehensive. Wages are competitive for the area. I’d recommend this job to anyone.
Current Employee.
Pros
Management actually listen. Support is very good. Flexible working
Stay away
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire5 March 2019
Awful company to work for, management are all corrupt. If your face fits your OK if it don't they will find away to get you out. Poor wages poor hours
Pros
Service users lovely
Cons
Management corrupt safeguarding shocking
Horrendous company! Avoid at all costs!
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Hampshire1 March 2019
The management do not care about the service users or staff at all. We have all been treated appallingly. Almost every member of staff has left now. The couple that are left are waiting for retirement. It has been an awful shame to see nurses and support workers who have worked there for many years and built relationships with the service users, leave because of how they have been treated by management.The actual job its self was lovely. Turning Point have no respect for its staff and service users.
learning experience
Counseling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire11 February 2019
Turning Point do not particularly invest in the staff
Huge gaps in training
CEO paid over and above other social care ceos
Line managers inexperienced and unfair
Pros
struggling to think of any
Cons
as above
Terrible place to work. Manager doesn't care about her staff
Carer (Former Employee) –  Stafford6 February 2019
To preface. The Unit I worked in held 8 highly challenging individuals Daily we would do the normal with them from helping them wash to taking them out
your basic care really.

Let's delve deeper though this is all to do with the unit I was mainly based in. We would be working 7 to 24 (yes. 24) hour shifts with some times not knowing whether we would be doing a 7 hour shift and being forced to cover someone elses after your own to night staff having to do other other staffs work (cleaning mostly but on the occasion shopping) in certain clients flats we would be unable to get bathroom breaks resulting in staff becoming ill.

As well as this we only had a single rotor done a week meaning you couldn't plan for the next week on top of this! We would be refused time off we requested in the "request book" which the manager consistently hid/moved or changed (often putting lines over pages after staff writ on them, funny enough this happens with the rotor. Better be a mind-reader because you won't be told it's changed)

So with these listed what else could be wrong. Manager refuses to deal with dangerous staff that threaten other workers with physical violence and threats against clients pets and encourages these staffs behaviour. Manager is constantly destroying evidence that is requested by uppers and CqC parties.
On these notes we have an overwhelming amount of work put on us and even when these are done we have our jobs threatened.
I will avoid things that could be traced back to myself or colleagues here but- shift lead held all responsibility on the shift, had multiple
  more... checks per flat, building checks alert-tech being activaed and their own client as well (client can't do anything themselves either) why is this bad? Well good luck caring for that client, they would go hours without a carer, meaning lack of food/drink or time out the flat
Which in turn is where our job is threatened as staff would walk out of the flat when shift-lead is in there (6 1to1 clients and a single client that wasnt 1to1) to cigarette breaks which is actually against company ToS.

The last point I will make about this specific place. The manager bullies her staff making them feel useless. When staff bring personal issues to her she has a bad tendency to tell other staff their problems which has caused good staff to leave and/or receive abuse from the manager/staff.

In this unit our staff were held together with string, bonded by stress and laughing at the stupidity and ignorance of the manager.

do NOT work here. Save yourself, it's not worth it.

TL:DR- manager is a sexist,racist arrogant person that empowers often dangerous people to do dumb things. Doesn't listen to staff and refuses to improve the building or her own way of running things.
Pros
Clients are good but some challenging. Decent anual-leave of 28y
Cons
Awfull disrespectful manager. Uppers have their eyes and ears blocked.
Mental health nightmare
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire5 February 2019
So predictable to see that most of positive reviews are still employed by tp because they tell the staff to write them and the ones who want to achieve In this place actually do it. High staff turnover,disgusting management who lie cover up issues of all degrees and don’t even speak to staff or service users. All they are bothered about is paperwork in place to pass cqc requirements but they don’t provide the time to complete causing stress to the workforce. How you can do paperwork and look after service users Is unworkable unless they are in the office with you. Tp will employ anyone as they desperate to fill posts but most don’t last long. Managers are aware of issues but chose to do nothing about it but sweep it under the carpet and this applies to hr too.
If you value your own family and mental health do not work for tp because the managers have no time or training to support you in any way shape or form.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Disgusting managers
Poor management
Recovery worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire21 December 2018
Poor management at the midpoint offices, Staff are really good and clients apart from the management.
Shame to leave.
Will miss my service user ..
Pros
Team
Cons
Good place for training and development
traiinee Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, UK15 December 2018
Great team and enough support with training and development. Quality service provided to clients. Good professional team with availability to share good practice.
Pros
training and development
Cons
weekend work
Productive and fun work place
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire22 November 2018
I have been working with this company now for about 4years The job itself is very rewarding on many levels The staff/ colleagues are amazing and we all work well in a team we are slightly understaffed but the staff we have all pull through together. Pay is not great but its not to bad either . The manager always had time to push me and help me develop and have been very supportive when working around your family life. turning point are working hard despite cuts to budgets which is the case in most places now. Always room for over time and rota has been quite flexible It can be challenging on some days but with the massive support we have from the team its self is what makes the job fun and easy to cope with.
Pros
Great staff and mangement and very rewarding job
Cons
Not great pay but not to bad either
Rewarding supportive happy place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire22 November 2018
I have now been working here over 1 year and can honestly say im happy and content that i changed job. The job role is very satisfying helping to support individuals to enjoy there day to day life activities. Supporting them to live there life to the best they can. It is a very rewarding job. The scheme i work at is very supportive to individuals that work there and work amazingly as a team. Which can be very difficult to find in this job role, whick makes the job more apealing and satisfying.
Pros
Excellent team work and support from collegues, anything needed to help you work to the best of your ability will be listened to by your manager.
Cons
Pay is not the best but most care jobs all need a boost.
Terrible place to work high management and staff turnover.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire15 November 2018
Safeguarding issues which aren’t dealt with. Staff and management turnover very high. Staff leaving for shifts before they have finished. Client outings don’t always happen, medication errors. A sick policy that is just stupid. Not somewhere I would put someone that I loved and cared about!
Pros
Non
Cons
Lots. Safeguarding concerns.
Awful management in many areas of TP
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire31 October 2018
At first I was excited to work for a company that offered so much. I was told that everyone was supportive and lovely but that is just not the case. I felt undermined and belittled and as though I could not speak to my manager about my personal mental health issues- In fact, they made my issues worse. All about the numbers and not about the service users. It's all 'me me me' and if something ripples management's waves you are made to feel inadequate and depressed.
Pros
Service users are amazing
Cons
Selfish management, all about statistics
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire21 October 2018
Being honest
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire16 October 2018
I'm going to be as honest and who ever is reading can make up there mind.

Management- team leaders are genrally good, however they are held back and punished by building management and area management. Building management depends on the service you work for and can vary from really good to really horrible. Area management support staff avoid because they are not trusted and you get punished or ignored based on issues.

The role itself (pay, the job, work life)- pay is bad even for care and retail for the area pays better for a role with less responsibility. One of the few reasons why staff leave a lot. Work life balance is poor in my opinion, as a result staffs personal relationships breakdown. Be expected to devoted your life for turning point because the company expect that of you. Service users are brilliant but challenging, you can also being doing double shifts with no break with challenging clients.

Job culture and security- the culture depends on what people you have on that day. Moral is very low because of being short staffed and poor direction and support given by management. The feeling staff get is they are not worth the wage given and are easy to replace. No much in job security because value for staff and people are constantly looking for work ready for when they get sacked or punished for just doing what they are told.

The service users are some of the best you can work with. Turning point upper management need to come down hard on local management. Or they are going to spend lots of money on agency, DBS, training etc. Our area has so many care
  more... companies most jobs on this site alone are care. Alot of them pay better, if you dont believe, Me just look for yourself. Unfourtantly i would advise you dont work for turning point, till the work out the problems. Which is a shame because it could be a brilliant job.  less
Pros
Service users, smaller services with 1to1 care.
Cons
Poor wages, poor work life, management, not valued

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Turning Point. Our community is ready to answer.