Turning Point Employee Reviews

I wouldn't choose to work for them
Specialist Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dover30 July 2018
Seconded over by the NHS absolutely hate the organisation.
Bad management.
Awful Pay
No benefits.
They are entirely about profits which makes me laugh as they're a "charity".
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire21 October 2018
ers. So much time taken up with paperwork you don't have time for service users.
Ex support worker (Former Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire16 August 2018
We do I start. Bad rude management, don't care about the staff even worse about the service users. Long hours with no support if you need it. Meds to be given when you are over tired and up in the night. Just told to get on with it. I feel sorry for the staff and the service users in Witney.
Pros
Service users. and colleges
Cons
Long hours. Lone working, unsafe, poor training.. Bad management
Awful management in many areas of TP
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire31 October 2018
At first I was excited to work for a company that offered so much. I was told that everyone was supportive and lovely but that is just not the case. I felt undermined and belittled and as though I could not speak to my manager about my personal mental health issues- In fact, they made my issues worse. All about the numbers and not about the service users. It's all 'me me me' and if something ripples management's waves you are made to feel inadequate and depressed.
Pros
Service users are amazing
Cons
Selfish management, all about statistics
a rewarding place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bedworth2 October 2018
A typical day in the life at Turning Point, would consist of helping the individual prepare for their day ahead, this would begin at 7am, hand over hand and other techniques would be applied in order for the individual to achieve these life goals, you would help the individual throughout the day in different situations so a wide range of techniques would need to be used.
The down side of the job was the shift patterns as management were not very accommodating
Pros
working with individuals that appreciated the help they were given
Cons
upto 13 long days before being given a day off
Being honest
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire16 October 2018
I'm going to be as honest and who ever is reading can make up there mind.

Management- team leaders are genrally good, however they are held back and punished by building management and area management. Building management depends on the service you work for and can vary from really good to really horrible. Area management support staff avoid because they are not trusted and you get punished or ignored based on issues.

The role itself (pay, the job, work life)- pay is bad even for care and retail for the area pays better for a role with less responsibility. One of the few reasons why staff leave a lot. Work life balance is poor in my opinion, as a result staffs personal relationships breakdown. Be expected to devoted your life for turning point because the company expect that of you. Service users are brilliant but challenging, you can also being doing double shifts with no break with challenging clients.

Job culture and security- the culture depends on what people you have on that day. Moral is very low because of being short staffed and poor direction and support given by management. The feeling staff get is they are not worth the wage given and are easy to replace. No much in job security because value for staff and people are constantly looking for work ready for when they get sacked or punished for just doing what they are told.

The service users are some of the best you can work with. Turning point upper management need to come down hard on local management. Or they are going to spend lots of money on agency, DBS, training etc. Our area has so many care
  more... companies most jobs on this site alone are care. Alot of them pay better, if you dont believe, Me just look for yourself. Unfourtantly i would advise you dont work for turning point, till the work out the problems. Which is a shame because it could be a brilliant job.  less
Pros
Service users, smaller services with 1to1 care.
Cons
Poor wages, poor work life, management, not valued
Supportive of career development and service user change.
Drug and Alcohol Worker (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire31 August 2018
I've worked in 3 different turning points across the country and all have been more supportive than I could have expected. The managers always had time to push me and help me develop. As a result I've now progressed professionally and had a substantial pay rise.

The company are faced with lots of challenges in regards to budget cuts but are always trying to provide the best support to service users and staff that they can. It is stressful but that happens with change. When it settles it will be a fantastic place to work. Stress is a natural part of the job if you care about clients. I have always been supported through the stress and my mental health has always been a priority for my line management. I feel valued and appreciated.

It's much better than the other drug agencies I've worked for.
Pros
Supportive and caring management. Great staff team.
Cons
Constraints applied by third parties on the vision of the company.
Productive and fun work place
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire22 November 2018
I have been working with this company now for about 4years The job itself is very rewarding on many levels The staff/ colleagues are amazing and we all work well in a team we are slightly understaffed but the staff we have all pull through together. Pay is not great but its not to bad either . The manager always had time to push me and help me develop and have been very supportive when working around your family life. turning point are working hard despite cuts to budgets which is the case in most places now. Always room for over time and rota has been quite flexible It can be challenging on some days but with the massive support we have from the team its self is what makes the job fun and easy to cope with.
Pros
Great staff and mangement and very rewarding job
Cons
Not great pay but not to bad either
Rewarding supportive happy place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire22 November 2018
I have now been working here over 1 year and can honestly say im happy and content that i changed job. The job role is very satisfying helping to support individuals to enjoy there day to day life activities. Supporting them to live there life to the best they can. It is a very rewarding job. The scheme i work at is very supportive to individuals that work there and work amazingly as a team. Which can be very difficult to find in this job role, whick makes the job more apealing and satisfying.
Pros
Excellent team work and support from collegues, anything needed to help you work to the best of your ability will be listened to by your manager.
Cons
Pay is not the best but most care jobs all need a boost.
Excellent service users, everything else is poor.
Support Workere (Current Employee) –  Stafford7 September 2018
The job itself is rewarding on many levels. Job satisfaction is great from the point of view doing good. However being left alone with a name verbal service user for hours at a time can take its toll. Some staff refuse to work with the tougher service users which puts massive pressure on those who are willing to work with any of the service users because of this many days are repetitive and the same in a job that’s advertised as every day is different. Some staff get every weekend off while others work them all. Work/ life balance can be non existent at times, staff sickness is massive as is turnover. Hours are long, some days 14.5 hours with no breaks at all allocated, there can also be a minimum of 8.5 hours between shifts which can leave staff over tired and with low morale and motivation. The wage is a little above minimum, which for the work done is pathetic as days can be very intense. There is also little opportunity for promotion, opportunities are few and far between and when they do arise experience is ignored. If you work for turning point get used to being taken advantage of, false promises and always being in financially destitute. It is also easy to get injured in work, which will result in sickness and then you get no pay and SSP making paying bills next to impossible.

Support staff often run the services without any management in the buildings for days sometimes weeks at a time.

Appalling company that doesn’t care about staff and doesn’t know how to look after staff.
Pros
Service users who need you, plenty of overtime
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, no promotion, badly managed services, being paid incorrectly, management who don’t appreciate hard work, no breaks and a poor work/ life balance
Lies
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire20 July 2018
Stay away from this company. I worked here for 6 months. I was underpaid on multiple times and would often forget to even pay at all. No progression opportunities and trying to get hold of HR is near enough impossible. It's all about the management, not about the Service Users or other member's of staff. Management belittle and talk down to staff and you feel undervalued. Reading the other reviews it appears it's a nationwide issue and not just Salisbury. There was only one manager in Salisbury who was great but still the company as a whole is a joke. They entice you in with lies so don't fall for it. This is especially the case in Supportive Living.
Pros
The Service Users and staff members. I wish them all the best.
Cons
Too long to list.
Very bad practice, not a good company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire16 October 2018
Worked here for six months and to start with I liked it. After a short period I witnessed person centred approach being completely ignored by certain staff. Lots of sickness from staff and also lack of knowledge in respect of knowing how to do the job properly. Rarely saw any management which meant staff were not working as a team. Wouldn't work for this company again.
Pros
Some staff, pws
Cons
Lack of knowledge, pay rate
Terrible place to work high management and staff turnover.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire15 November 2018
Safeguarding issues which aren’t dealt with. Staff and management turnover very high. Staff leaving for shifts before they have finished. Client outings don’t always happen, medication errors. A sick policy that is just stupid. Not somewhere I would put someone that I loved and cared about!
Pros
Non
Cons
Lots. Safeguarding concerns.
Rewarding job with career development opportunities
Project worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire3 August 2018
Turning Point gives people opportunities to advance their careers as long as you put in the hard work yourself. They genuinely care about their service users and staff.
Management are supportive and fair.
Pros
Good support from management
Supportive work place
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire20 September 2018
In my experience line manager have gone above and beyond to support staff through mental ill health, bereavement and difficult home life.
Salisbury line managers seem to recognise by looking after their staff they are enabling them to look after the individuals in the best way too.
Care is very person centred and very much about giving the individuals the best quality of life.
All staff work really hard and go above and beyond to make things happen.
A lot of people really in the job for the right reasons and it is lovely to see.
Pros
Being part of a team and making a difference
Poor management
Recovery worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire21 December 2018
Poor management at the midpoint offices, Staff are really good and clients apart from the management.
Shame to leave.
Will miss my service user ..
Pros
Team
Avoid at all cost
Bullies
Under paid over worked
Save yourself avoid
Cons
Only place I've been given the chance to progress
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kidderminster7 September 2018
I'm aged 22 and never expected to be a team leader- this is not due to desperation like I've known in some companies who will just hire anyone for the sake of it without looking at what they can bring to the company. Through hard work and dedication to my job I am now in a position I'd never expect to be in. I've worked in nursing homes privately owned, the conditions never good and 99% of the time you're limited to only a few minutes supporting each individual which sometimes is time precious to them. I hated it because I knew even when I tried my hardest I could never give them all the time and attention that they wanted- working for turning point is different, the job is surrounding the service users, person centred care is one of the most important parts of the job and is practiced certainly in the service I work in. Management are flexible, no one in forced into doing shifts if they don't want to and long hours are avoided usually only happen due to personal choice. We are constantly reminded it's our job to support individuals to gain and maintain independence, we are encouraged to take positive risks to enable service users to try new experiences- which is an amazing satisfaction that I've been looking for in a job for a long time. Working for turning point will teach you the difference between being a support worker and a carer- you do have to have the right mindset to be in this job, you need to be open minded, laid back to an extent and of course, compassionate. If you're that kind of person I would definitely recommend! The most important thing I find that TP considers  more... is feedback - if changes need to be made then they do listen. I know this from personal experience, and support is constantly provided through training opportunities, regular supervisions and the company provides professional counselling for emotional support if required. This job is exactly what YOU make it.  less
Pros
Flexible, listen to feedback, person centred
Cons
Online systems used for staff could do with improvement, sometimes interviews need to provide more detail on what to expect
Poor work life balance. Staffs concerns ignored.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wakefield Rightsteps15 April 2017
Prescriptive target driven service delivered at expense of the clients' needs. One size fits all mentality. Immature indifferent managers who disregard staff concerns and opt for short cuts or short term benefits in order to meet targets.Poor morale with high turn over of therapists. Most high quality staff do not hang around and move on quickly. Cliquey management culture gives preferential treatment to those they like. Seen contractors worked into the ground and given little respite or respect. Good if you want to use your time to get your PWP qualifications otherwise monotonous and bit of a tread mill experience.
Pros
Get to help some genuinely nice clients and see them progress and flourish.
Cons
Poor oppressive management style which lacks integrity, Ill considered shift patterns and cramped offices
Stay away from this company
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria9 January 2018
When I first started the support, training, area Manager was excellent. Once the area manager left the home Manager is never to been seen, not supportive and not interested in the welfare of the people of staff. The new senior manager doesn’t care also and allows the home Manager to get away with absolutely everything. The home has no structure no work life balance not cared for. The staff are good and care deeply for the people but the lack of support has brought the moral down within the team. The company is disorganised and is a blame culture company. It is such a shame as in the beginning it was such a good supportive company. It needs true leadership and not a bombastic do as your told approach. Such a high turnover of staff now there is no continuity.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Turning Point. Our community is ready to answer.