Turning Point Scotland Employee Reviews

Joke of a place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway12 August 2018
You will be alright if you get on the good side of the ones higher up and keep in with the ones doing the rota, if your out that circle then your getting the worst shifts and treatment ever. Bullying is a joke with the service
Pros
Rewards
Cons
Long hours, no thanks
Job was fun and challenging, management was a joke.
Support Pr (Former Employee) –  Newton Stewart3 July 2018
The place where good carers come to die. The amount of good and caring people i have seen do excellent work here, only to be chased away by horrific managemnt is shocking. Surprised the company is still working. I imagine the desperatioon in the job market is to blame.
Pros
Service Users, other staff
Cons
Everything Else
good company to work for
Support Worker/ Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Dumfries27 June 2018
Turning point Scotland is a good support company that deals with a lot of different needs specifically tailored to each individual's needs, good team spirit and support, also opportunities to gain qualifications.
Terrible company to work for
Support Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Scotland23 April 2018
Working for turning point scotland was a nightmare when you tell the truth your a liar and put out of your job for it , if you tell lies and a bully your kept in your job, the management where very aggressive and no support the management done run the company but the staff do , you have support practisoners making up the rotas , there was some nice staff to work with but most of the other staff caused trouble would not recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Cons
Notjing
Good training
Support Practitioner (Former Employee) –  GLASGOW24 January 2018
Good starting point for a career in social care. As time passed though there was not a lot of potential for career advancement. More qualification oppurtunities required.
Prestwick was a great place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Prestwick, South Ayrshire16 January 2018
All good apart from unfair rota distribution. Some were given lots of sleepovers while others just didn't get asked to. I think the idea sometimes is to use the new employees till they leave, and that gives a wee bit of a break to the long term employees. A bit unfair.
Pros
Lovely area to work in, great service users to work with
Cons
Exploitation of new employees
Good working environment
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dundee City6 July 2017
Good company to be a part of. Good training and shift patterns. Flexibility is also something that is provided. I couldn't fault the company and the help hey provide you to do your job.
Ok
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway12 May 2017
Whilst they are an ok company to work for, there is always the distinct feeling of favouritism within the company. this can make it very uncomfortable to work within the team because the favourites are given more opportunity compared to the other team members. when complaints are made, they are overlooked because the favourites are believed rather than things being investigated.
Pros
Helping the clients makes the job worthwhile.
Cons
Shift work, guaranteed time off is not to be believed.
Good employer to work for.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aberdeeen24 April 2017
I enjoyed my time with Turning point Scotland, the teamwork was good and work well as a team. Management was fine. The time past by quickly and there was always something to do.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Wages a bit low
Former Support Worker
Former Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 October 2016
Challanging workplace no support from management bullied by other work collegues poor staffing high ratio turn over lack of training oppurunitys work long hours little pay not valued. Not supported when had family berevement avoid company seem more focused on Glasgow projects and making money.
Pros
Making services fit people motto
Cons
No support vey challenging
Turning Point
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Paisley, SCT11 April 2015
Good employer but difficult hours and shifts did not suit me but others may be different .

Was good to work in a team and feel you were helping others every single day.
Pros
Learned new skills
Cons
Night Shifts that progressed to Sleepover shifts
very rewarding job
Assistant Service Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenock, SCT27 April 2014
I moved to turning point as this job was a promotion to the level of supervisor , During my time here I was in charge of 2 projects looking after 8 staff and ensuring all day to day running of these projects is satisfied and that both theses individuals needs are being met.

Again throughout my time here I completed various course including first aid health and safety interviewing techniques and dealing with discipline, deaf awareness and also makaton and moving and handling I also managed to complete dealing with medications and also infection control qualifications through stow college while working with T.P.S
In January 2008 I was offered the chance to sit my SVQ level 3 in social care which I embraced after completion of this I was then given the chance to carry on my studies and complete a level 4 qualification in social care again which I did and completed.

Unfortunately due to a service user passing away and also funding cuts I was laid off in November 2009 so I then found myself unemployed
Pros
very rewarding job
Cons
managemnt support not great
not good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  dumfrieshire7 March 2014
working with the service users no problem .. but the management were another story.. bullying cronyism and no help for employees that the managers took a dislike to .. and if you dared to question one they closed ranks on you and got other staff to follow the same .. I no longer work for them but in my area it was terrible .. i knew at least six staff who were looking to get out .. and a couple that left before me
Pros
working with the service users
Cons
bad shift planning
Turning Point Scotland
Support Worker Grade (Current Employee) –  Perth12 December 2013
I have at present supported adult males with learning disabilities for 3 years. I support these service users with a variety of activities both in the community and in their own homes using a person centred approach, adhering to National Care Standards, SSSC codes of practice, organisational policy and procedures and current legislation.
As a keyworker it is also my responsibility to update and compile risk assessments, support plans (adhering to The Community Care Act 1990), risk management requests, guidance and any other relevant information/paperwork for the service user I keywork, at all times keeping them involved with their care. At present my responsibility as a keyworker involves working as part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure the best quality of care is provided, this includes working with Forensic Community Disability Nurses, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Public Protection team etc.
Enjoyable work place
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Scotland30 May 2013
My day at work can sometimes be a challenge as you never know what to expect from day to day but with help and support from manager and co-workers i am learning new knowledge and skills which i can put into practice.

The hardest part of the job i would say is challenging behaviour as i have little experience in dealing with such issues but i am learning and progressing every day which has given me new skills that i can adapt to my work place.

The most enjoyable part of my job i would say is spending time with the individuals i support as i am a peoples person with a great sense of humour that i feel can contribute within the field of social care.
Pros
Going shopping, out for lunch with individuals.
challenging workplace
Team Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scotland16 April 2013
A typical day at work would consist of obtaining morning report from night staff, administering morning medications, awaiting G.P arrival, lunch, lunch medications, appointments or new admissions in afternoon, dinner, dinner time medications, writing up files, night medications, providing night staff with report. I learned a lot of new skills, and information regarding addictions and the issues it carrys for people.

Unfortunatley co-workers were un trustworthy and management not much better. The hardest part of my job was working with people who would rather course trouble for others than work with them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new clients and having an understanding of what their lives have been like without help.
Pros
flexible with annual leave.
Cons
long hours and having to pay for own lunches
Turning Point Scotland, the truth behind the propaganda.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edward Street Care Unit.5 April 2013
In nearly five years of working for Turning Point Scotland, in their Forensic and Care Units, I have found that the Management strata is exceptionally poor. Constructive criticism from Support Workers, especially in Care Units is met with a defensive mentality by Management and is seen as a personal attack on Management themselves. Result is that staff feel that Management are not approachable or willing to seriously consult employees, this leads to low staff morale and high staff turnover. A pay freeze has been in operation for the last four years.
The scandal of 'Sleepover' payments of £26 before tax for working a 9.5 hour shift is a disgrace. The reality is that ONE Support Worker in a Turning Point Care Unit is expected to be on call, awake, aware and 'on the floor,' this to Support four Service Users with a variety of mental health/anger management issues throughout the night. A 4-1 ratio?. Typically, Service Users throughout the night will require personal care, have insomnia, walk around their homes until 7am, press their Community Alarm buttom up to three times per night, they requiring personal care/showers/laundry change/change of bandages/re-assurance from the Support Worker. All this is time consuming, intense and exhausting. This amounts to Violation of the Working Time Directive and is a Health and Safety breach. This is especially relevant for female staff, many of whom have been attacked at some point while working for Turning Point Scotland.
On starting your final shift at 7.30am until 3.30pm, you are tired and certainly prone to making mistakes regards medication
  more... administration and admin.The 'Sleepover Shifts', sandwiched between two eight hour shifts, mean that total work time in a Turning Point Care Unit amounts to 25 hours. 9.5 of these hours are paid at an hourly rate of less that £2.50 per hour. The National Minimum Wage at present is £6.19p.
Support Workers who have recently completed a years study to achieve SVQ3 Care Qualifications, have been told that no wage increment will be awarded to them. This was in direct contradiction to the information given by Management before the SVQ3 Courses began, the promise and 'Incentive' given by Management to candidates never materialised. All candidates were made to sign a document saying that they can not leave T.P.S. for a period of two years after gaining SVQ3. If they did so, they would be required to refund the £2000 the company had paid to 'get them through the course'. Most of us selected for SVQ3 had already given the company over three years service. The reality is that the company will be legally obliged to ensure that all their Support Workers are qualified by 2016, as per Scottish Law.
The Care Inspectorate had recently awarded Turning Point Scotland a glowing report in the local press some months ago. On reading this letter of 'good management', the staff in our Care Unit were incredulous. At no time has the Care Inspectorate visited a Turning Point Care Unit in Edward Street Dundee. They are selectively invited and will visit a T.P.S. Forensic Unit, where there is no personal care to conduct, Service Users self medicate, are more independent regards living/social skills and effectively are schooled in how to comment. a separate staff flat ensures staff in these Units are effectively safer and have more time to re-charge after attending to a Service User.I have witnessed for myself the preparation for said Care Inspectorate visits. If the Care Inspectorate had the foresight to visit a T.P.S Care Unit in Edward Street, they would witness two Service Users bedrooms, fitted with wafer thin torn flooring. Incontinence means that the bodily fluids are effectively washed under the linoleum. The stairwell 'carpet' (as opposed to proper non-slip cushionfloor with rubber strip on the edge of the stairs to prevent slippage), leading to the bedrooms is filthy. Bodily fluids are mopped or scrubbed into the carpet, the carpet is an Infection Control/Health and Safety nightmare and staff are reduced to spraying air freshner over this carpet to deaden the smell of bodily fluids, especially so in the warm summer months. All this has been mentioned to Management but no action was ever taken.
In summation, the Care Inspectorate are an organisation considered by many Support Workers, as an ineffective organisation. They effectively see what they want to see, are too willing to accept what is prepared/stage managed for them to see. They dont ask the pertinent questions that only a Support Worker can supply them with.
In 2013, the hidden disgrace is of Care Companies/ Providers, who are more interested in the pursuit of lucrative social care grants, operating at the expense of Service User care and to the detriment of the professionalism and dedication shown by Support Workers in general.
The Dundee Councillors/Member of Parliament who are more interested it seems in the increase in the foreign aid budget, would do well to look closer to home, at the hidden scandal/Dickensian state of affairs currently ongoing in the field of care.
Pros
a reduction in my hours.
Cons
poor wages, no recognition of a dedicated, professional, decent workforce.
loved my job working with the service users and had a good working relationship with all of them.
key support worker (Former Employee) –  Dunscore8 March 2013
The job was great we followed P.C support plans and supported the S U to various activities daily. a team did what work had to be done the thing I found hard was that the management wanted things done their own way sometimes not what was in the support plans.
Pros
loved working with vulnerable adults and knew i was giving a good service
Cons
the job had none as i was used to working in this field for a long time
Provides high levels of support to service users
Support worker (Current Employee) –  dundee12 January 2013
Enjoy working with the services users and seeing how well they cope and manage in the community.

Learn how to deal with challenging behaviour.
Pros
a number of different services within turning point
Cons
shift work
stressful, frustrating place to work
support worker (Former Employee) –  Stranraer30 October 2012
A typical day at work was starting my shift at 3 pm and working until next day at 3pm, inclusiv night sleep over.

I have learnt about carying for a person with learning disabilities and complex needs with very challenging behaviour.

Colleagues were ok, nice supportive team work.

Very poor organisational/rotas/ employees mangement.
worked under stress.

Unpredictable change in pattern of work/shifts, short notice, had to work sometimes 48 hours ( two shifts in a row).

Felt undervalued, no support from management, poor supervision time.
Pros
free lunch, dinner, breakfast
Cons
long, unsociable hours, stressful challenging environment