Travis Perkins plc Employee Reviews

ok
yard man (Former Employee) –  Market Rasen, Lincolnshire3 December 2018
serving customers, lots about building materials how to stock take.meeting different people was always enjoyable but sometimes very challenging as noone is the same
Pros
staff discount
Nice place
PTS Rebates Controller (Former Employee) –  Crick, Northamptonshire25 November 2018
People are friendly. Location is not that great as it is just off the motorway and there is nothing to do in this location.
Mixed team of all ages makes the atmosphere better.
Avoid!! Over worked and under paid
Tool hire driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff23 November 2018
Worked in the cardiff branch for a few months, branch manager is only there to make a profit and doesn't care about any of his staff. Disorganised builders merchant. High turn around of drivers.
Pros
Free hiab training
Cons
Everything else
horrible place
Area Sales Representative, Norfolk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk20 November 2018
probably the worst company I ever worked for, very backward, horrible uneducated managers, bullying culture, disgusting and dirty offices with rat traps all over , I don't know why I stayed a whole year! I feel like I need medical examination to confirm I didn't catch anything nasty while working there - disgusting !
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
bullying culture, dirty place
loved it
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 November 2018
best company to work for! great team!, they offer lots of training as long as your willing to put int he work you are rewarded. self promoting business, very diverse, every day is a new challenge so you will never get bored. made friends for life
Average
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea13 November 2018
Good stepping stone for development into management. Company seem to big to realise main competition. Cannot achieve anything due to red tape surrounding the whole company.
Good Luck
Hiab Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheddar, Somerset11 November 2018
Had a great time with the group for 5 years with no complaints until a new "Manager" took over and ruined the workplace for all his staff. Immature, stubborn and unloyal to his staff.

I walked after only 2 weeks under his tyranny. In the meantime he lied about me to future employers about my work ethos and time keeping, which resulted in me submitting a formal complaint to the regional managing director.
Pros
Was great working with the previous manager and also the previous ABM
Cons
The new manager seemed to do whatever he liked without any guidance from the senior management, so much so his ABM walked out after around 2 weeks.
very poor employer
Divisional Fleet/Transport Manager (Employed) (Former Employee) –  Northampton7 November 2018
The Travis Perkins group has a 40% turnover in staff per annum supported by a 30% turn over in drivers. With a hear today gone tomorrow attitude to employees it does not make for a good working environment. Bullying and intimidation are rife from the top down over. Profit above all else with safety taking a back seat.
Pros
Cons
blind eye to compliance
Employee culture is respectful, leadership perhaps has some way to go.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton6 November 2018
Overall the people (colleagues) have a committed attitude to the organisation. Keen to work hard towards the betterment of the company as a whole.
As with all large organisations there's a constant balancing act required to include all the varying degrees of the business. In my time here there has been constant change both in leadership, teams and priorities. This has often led to conflicting priorities.
Communication although extensive has often seemed to be providing information rather than supporting, encouraging and inclusive for the colleagues here. It's obviously difficult to provide effective updates and feedback against such a large colleague base and management have attempted to fulfil this task but has been found to be full of gaps on the key issues, most importantly strategic direction (both business and IT).
Pros
Good Employee assistance programme, flexible attitude to working hours
Cons
Business comms and direction has been sparce.
productive
Yard Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 October 2018
Again this was a good job and hard labour and graft, I like working with the general public and helping out where I could.
Downfall was weather permitting.
Pros
working on my own and in a team
Cons
weather permitting
Family Orientated
Programme Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire22 October 2018
Great business to work for in terms of family values.

Perks and benefits are great.

Flexible to individual circumstances.

Salaries could be better.
Pros
Discounts at lots of retailers
Cons
Salary
Tremendous learning experience
Programme & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton18 October 2018
Great opportunity to work within what was a FTSE100 company. Working with multiple business units and departments has been a great and frustrating experience.

I have worked at Travis Perkins during a period of change and uncertainty. Whilst this has been unsettling, I have enjoyed the challenges that this has brought.

Good pension and benefits help to offset below industry salary.
Pros
Multiple business units and functions. Pension and benefits scheme
Cons
Lower salary, lacks agility to change. Current instability
Productive and friendly place to work
Client Services Administrator (FTC) (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire17 October 2018
The offices are clean and tidy at DPD. The staff are always polite and willing to help others. The culture is one of 'family' and you always feel comfortable and part of the team.
poor management
Yard Person - Tool Hire Manager - Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Helston, Cornwall15 October 2018
its all about the money, if you work hard and want to climb the ladder you will have little support. watch your back. Managers have no time to help you out. if you cant do it on your own or stand up for yourself your pushed out.
Pros
money isn't bad
Cons
its all about targets. no support
Staff and customers
Yard Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stourbridge15 October 2018
Some staff members are brilliant to work with and the customers can always have a nice chat with one of the well trained members of staff. If an employee can't find what the customer is looking for then they always have the option of contacting other branches of the company for assistance.
Pros
Company discount
busy and tidy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northampton14 October 2018
some people are nice and some are rude if you make a mistake. i learnt to keep the place clean and teamwork. hardest part was understanding people and what to do next after you done.
Pros
free hot drinks
Cons
8 or 7
good place to work
yard person (Current Employee) –  Beccles14 October 2018
dealing with customers face to face as well as loading and unloading deliveries to yard,haelth and safety,management ok,hardest part of job is keeping up with orders,most enjoyable part is talking to customers and able to have a laugh and joke with some of them,
False promises
Senior Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire14 October 2018
At first it feels like there is loads of room for progression, but this is all a lie to keep people working. Applied for a job internally, was told I had the job, then they decided they weren’t going to go ahead with the position. Dangling a carrot to keep the workers happy
Pros
Can’t think of any, a cake on your birthday?
Cons
Toxic atmosphere
Best warehouse I’ve worked in
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington10 October 2018
The Travis Perkins warehouse in burtonwood is the best warehouse I’ve ever worked at I would like to come back to work there sometime the people are a laugh great banter even with the managers only thing I have a problem with is they offered two girls a contact before me and a week before that the girls got told they had the worst pick rate in the warehouse where as i never got spoken to about my pick rate so I assume it was good
Pros
Free hot drinks, wonderful people great atmosphere, wonderful work experience
Cons
Looks over work
Never fairly rewarded
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk6 October 2018
Where to begin, been with company 4 years now, Ive only seen one wage increase when they promise a yearly 1% increase, you never get rewarded properly, you'll do all the hard work for minimum wage while the office monkeys that do nothing get paid triple, the only company treats its staff poorly to the point the moto is "can't obey, go away" you complain you get sacked, you ask for wage increase they make your job life a misery so you'll get fed up and leave. This job put me on antidepressants. Twice. So there you have it
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Very poor wages, no fair rewards and poor staff treatment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis Perkins plc. Our community is ready to answer.