Travis Perkins plc Employee Reviews

A good company to work for
HGV Driver and Building Materials Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire19 September 2018
I drove HGV's for this company there was also a little of understanding building materials and what they were for on the way, I loved this job as it was one of the first I drove an HGV for
Pros
Advancing my HGV skills
Cons
Learning to use hiab cranes
Busy
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  North West10 September 2018
Travis Perkins used to be a great place to work (NOT ANYMORE). The branch I am from / was has a problem with shortness of staff and has favouritism. One rule is not for all.
Have asked for development and a salary increase for some years but dosn' t happen (only for the favourite).
They look after their favourites and not the ones who have been there years and faithful to them. Things need to change in order to keep their experienced staff before it's to late. So overall it's pretty naff
Pros
My perks.
Cons
Long hours. Saturday work. Favourites. Poor wage
No career progression, no equal pay for equal jobs
2 HIAB driver (Former Employee) –  Fleet7 September 2018
Management very poor, no communication with yard staff and drivers, no career progression and no higher rate for overtime.
As a driver I found out that other drivers at the same branch and other branches are on sometimes £3000 a year less than me which is unfair.
The biggest insult came after Christmas when the area manager send me a letter (and everybody else) congratulating me with a 1% payrise which in actual fact was a 2. 5% pay cut as inflation rose 3.5% that year.
During the hottest summer on record they stopped giving us refrigerated water as we could fill bottles at the tap for free. The yard foreman got heatstroke resulting in two sick days and still they did nothing to keep us cool.
Management does anything to cut costs regardless of employees wellbeing.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, chronic staff shortage as a result, low retention rate and anything else you can think of
This is getting annoying
Customer Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Salford6 September 2018
I guess nothing comes for free anymore, even looking for a job costs time filling in nonsense companies force you to fill in to gain smething from you as a consumer.
fun place to work
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire2 September 2018
always happy whilst working for travis perkins , never a down day at the workplace and a friendly bunch of staff within the offices or out on the yard.
Pros
good place of work
Cons
good place to work
hard work
Yard Foreman (Current Employee) –  Denbigh29 August 2018
hard day at work non stop got a forklift licence and learned all stock and how to serve customers politely hardest part of job is keeping on top of cleaning most enjoyable is having a laugh with colleagues
Pros
free training
Cons
long hard days
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire27 August 2018
working at travis perkins was just a awesome place to work.. all hands on work how i like it lol ... i learnt loads of new things at the job that i can take elsewhere.
Varied opportunities
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Nationwide27 August 2018
Great team work . Varied job opportunities available to those that want to get on. Great benefits e.g. discounts and pension along with shareware opportunities.
Busy busy depot
Yard Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheddar24 August 2018
5 guys turnover £1.5m.
1 lorry
1 forklift
1very tight yard.
The yard was always full on with trucks waiting at the gate before 7.30 am and again a queue at 4.30 onwards for those guys who realised there was always a rush in the mornings.
Very popular depot with the regular builders and tradesmen.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Saturday alternating working mornings
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, Somerset23 August 2018
Travis Perkins was a good place to work all the customers was friendly and you never had a bad day there. The management was supportive of you didn’t understand something.
Productive and hard working
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire12 August 2018
We all worked hard in the payroll department of which I was a member of the team for over 12 years. We were updated on statutory information as required.
Pros
SAYE and discount card
old system
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  omega north , burtonwood10 August 2018
poor management who don't understand some of the tasks required, the posA system being used is very out dated , the HR department are constantly amending parts of terms and conditions without consultation.
A bit old school
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire7 August 2018
A bit of an old school way of doing things, not really an up to date process of doing anything really, leadership team keep changing, lots of things need to change to make this firm as great as what it can be
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
Long hours, varied pay structures
After being there for 3 and a half weeks without any progress report or an uh feedback what so ever I was let go without any explanation.
Warehouse Operative/FLT Driver (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, Essex6 August 2018
Management team have not got a clue how to manage their staff. At the Tilbury Range centre i had no feed back or support what so ever in my role ,I was told don't worry about the pick rate in your first two weeks just concentrate on being safe and on the third week i got pulled in the office and got told my rate wasn't good enough. Shocking way to run a company .
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
Bad management
Drama!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton2 August 2018
For low-level employees, the company does not issue information that it is top employer. Sometimes people are treated like slaves, and constant rushing and supervisors running around the warehouse are driving the employees crazy. Generally, the entire management team is hopeless, no one will help you. No chance of promotion, unless you wear sweets to the manager or supervisors. TRAGEDY!!!
Pros
Salery is ok
Cons
management team
Good atmosphere to work in
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 July 2018
It is hard work and long days but it is a friendly enjoyable environment to work in. Management are supportive.

I have built up good friendships in the time that I have been there
Pros
discounts for various outlets
Cons
working on some ssaturdays
Builders Merchant Manager (Current Employee) –  England30 July 2018
Great company to work for. Always looking to promote from within. Has a branch manager I was given lots of information to help me run my branch as I wanted and always knew how I was doing. Was able to be my own boss and left too manage my own team.
A good company to work for.......
Front Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton26 July 2018
A typical day for me is managing an area and team around 30 or more staff,dealing with day to day issues to resolve them in a timely manner,conducting investigation and disciplinary meetings.
I also manage KPI's and performance reviews.
I have good Health and Safety knowledge which i use to ensure all staff are following all guide lines,rules and regulations and do my best to keep all hazards to a minimum.
Work place culture is important to me as i believe this is what keeps staff motivated,enjoying the day but achieving targets.
I have learned a lot since working with the same company from being a warehouse operative to Front line Manager and use the skills and knowledge gained to my best ability.
What I enjoy the most about my role is that other members of the management team will seek advice from me in relation to investigations/disciplinary's or Health and Safety.
Pros
subsidised canteen
Cons
Ok place to work but managment was a joke
Assist/ Travis Perkins (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire25 July 2018
Was a good place to work fun people to work with.
Manager I had tho was a joke if u wasn't a female he cpuld try chat up or u didn't agree with wat he said e be funny with u till he can get rid of u.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Managers
experience in sales
Sales Assistant and Haulage Driver (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire21 July 2018
The role I attained with Travis Perkins lead me into the field of sales and gave me an larger insight to customer relations. The role which I worked in gave me a firmer understanding of sales.
Pros
additional overtime
Cons
lack of opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis Perkins plc. Our community is ready to answer.