Play YouTube video button
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Travelodge Employee Reviews

United Kingdom790 reviews
Featured review
Travelodge selected this as a representative review
Working for Travelodge
Working at Highbridge & Burnham-on-Sea Travelodge as a housekeeping team member is fast paced, but there is plenty of opportunity to climb the ladder if you want to.
Overtime is available, especially at busier times of the year & all the staff are very welcoming.

Managers are very approachable & are ready to talk if needed.
27 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to read your comments.
Very good
I love working for travelodge it’s a nice friendly and family business but I would like to change my career to working a shop and making a good team member and making new friends I am a hard worker and reliable I always look out for others
Hard to keep up with
It takes forever to clean rooms and that’s not ok after a month but they don’t tell you in the beginning apart from you will get the hang of it twenty minutes is ridiculous especially when you have to change king size beds when it’s hard to find where it goes since they aren’t placed at the end of the bed but at the side oh and management check the rooms so you have a low chance of cutting things out
Good start up place to work or just to keep ticking over
Excellent and brilliant place to work with lovely team members and management to support you. You can learn a lot from handling challenges to life skills which can even help you at home.
On the gatwick travelodge
Working at the travelodge gatwick u cant talk to management with out it going around the hotel if you are ill and unfit for work they still Require u in if u have problems with another member of staff they go to the other person and inform them who has told them when you talk to them in confidents if staff refuse to do their jobs supervisiors have to stay all hours in to morning to finish off no over time pay for being there
Absolutely awful
I worked here 5 years ago as a Housekeeper. The timescales they have for cleaning rooms is completely impossible. I had 4 hours to clean 16 rooms, that was 20 mins per room with no time factored in for room size, time to go and replenish stocks, or sort out lost property. If you are new and struggling, as soon as you start running behind, you get talked about, slated, and have your mistakes pointed out to you and your intelligence openly questioned by management. Also, some of the other housekeepers, who had been there longer, were expected to clean 20 rooms in 4 hours. We're talking about 15 mins a room, that's stripping and making the bed, setting up new beds if needed, vacuuming, dusting, replenishing cups and condiments, cleaning and polishing the shower, bath, sinks and toilet, wiping surfaces, emptying the bin, saving lost property, as well as dashing back and forth to get supplies. You will come out physically and mentally exhausted, not to mention in the heat of summer when there is no air conditioning and the targets are exactly the same.
It is simply not possible to reach the targets they are setting, with your physical and mental health intact.

The working conditions are absolutely shocking and abysmal.

When I left I was told "don't worry, it happens all the time". I wonder why...
Awful
Management were two faced horrible unsupportive to people they didnt like absolute joke worst job of my life.
Promised training not given days off only to favourites
Great learning experience if you want to start off in hospitality
Travelodge is a fantastic company to work for. It has big ambitions and the corporate side of this business has taught me the professional standards required to run a successful business. I was able to progress quickly via the Aspire training and had great support in my first year. However it is hard, relentless work with long shifts often and is often under-resourced in terms of staff support so you need to be prepared to roll-up your sleeves and get on with any job that's needed. If you aren't happy to do that, your hotel will not succeed. I've enjoyed my training and development and the team camaraderie is fantastic but in order to develop my management skills further, I decided to look for a broader experience in other avenues of hospitality industry. I have enjoyed a great four years there and made lots of very good friends.
21 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's great to hear about your journey with us and we wish you all the best in your future career.
Over worked under paid
Training as a manager was great and thorough but the hours you are expected to do for the salary are a joke! It’s stressful, they over book based on last years no shows leaving customers without a room
Working for Travelodge
Working at Finchley Central London Travelodge as a housekeeping team member is fast paced, but there is plenty of opportunity to climb the ladder if you want to.

Managers are very approachable & are ready to talk if needed.
30 April 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to read your comments about your colleagues and manager.
Flexible
If you are manager then its good for you. Getting bonus eould extremely challenging. If you don't achieve your target you will be on bad list. Be ready to strp in team member shoe as you would be expected to do their job
Appealing manager
I Would not advise anybody to work in the Middlesbrough travelodge I worked 14 year for the company 7 being at Middlesbrough 7 at a previous site, until this manager came she is a bully very unprofessional has her favourites and if you can’t stand up for yourself you don’t stand a chance with her she is horrible my advice would be try premier inn for a job much more professional and a far better place to work
30 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to read your comments as we understand how important your manager is to how you feel at work. I'd like to assure you that we do not tolerate bullying at work in any form. If you ever feel that you or your colleagues have been treated unequally we would ask you to raise concerns to your District Manager, HR or your Equality and Diversity Champion.
Can be better....
Travelodge can be better, if the head office or the company taking more attention especially from the housekeepers. Example housekeepers can get more wages like in the other hotels, not only the minimal. More money means better job, what is making happier costumers. Fixed hours, and afternoon shift. As a housekeeper you not able to keep a rent and bills just if you work 6 days/week, what is impossible for some persons.
In the housekeeping could be a basic English language requirement, because most of the housekeepers can not speak English what is really hard on the training and on the meetings!! And that’s why in some hotels has nation discrimination felt because of some supervisors and managers prefers a same people like them, and they get less, or easier job. So many housekeepers wasting time when don’t have enough job. Lot’s of employers and team leaders, supervisors are so rude.

Don’t have bonus if someone always making good work, no positive feedbacks from manager. And some of the supervisors, assistant managers, managers don’t care about your personal life. Example they always complaining if you come back from your holiday or you come back from sick leave. Or they asking many times to work without off.

The cleaning time in one depart room is not enough, I mean, it’s impossible to finish on time, especially in some older buildings! And the company always just reduce the stayover and depart rooms time.

I don’t think the person who figured out the cleaning times/room has ever cleaned any dirty room in a dusty building. Unfortunately it has some buildings what are really
 - more...
Pros
Flexible, teamwork, balance in work&life. Able to develop yourself.
Cons
Poor wages. Some places really bad management. English requirements. Working time reducing.
Perth a9
When I initially started work here it was great. Good work life balance, plenty of overtime, kept busy and the team worked together well.

Over time we had switched managers which was for the best as the previous one had proved to be placed in a position she wasnt ready for far too early.

New manager was great at the beginning but as time went on you started to notice different things.

The supervisor was best friends with the manageress, the manager would often ask you to complete a numerous amount of task within an impossible time scale. We do have 8 hours on our shift but between looking after guests and doing our jobs on the task sheets, it is impossible for us to deep clean 15-20 rooms to her standards. Standards were ridiculously high, and although you tried your best to achieve these, it still wasn’t enough and more was expected of you even if you reached said standards.

When it comes to your health, work comes first. Unless you have a young child then you are given more leeway. If you are suffering from mental health problems, medical conditions etc, you were still expected to put work first.

Manager forgot regularly about holidays that you had booked in advance. Rotas were changed without your knowledge and if you didn’t show up for a shift you were berated for this even though you had not been ASKED/ NOTIFIED that shifts had changed.

Favouritism was very prominent within this hotel, being early shift, supervisor and select housekeepers.

I had worked above and beyond for this hotel, I pulled 90 hour weeks, 16-20 hours shifts, acting manager whilst
 - more...
16 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to read your comments. Whilst we have a clear process to clean rooms which allows us to be as efficient as possible, we'd always encourage you to speak with your Manager if you have any concerns so they can support you. Every colleague is an important member of our team, contributing to the service we provide to our customers. As such, we give full support to anyone whilst off sick and will do all we can to help them to return to work as quickly as possible. Everyone at Travelodge has access to our Employee Assistance Programme which offers financial, physical and mental wellbeing advice.
I'd like to assure you we understand how important the rota is in helping our colleagues manage their lives outside of work, and therefore expect any unavoidable changes to the rotas, for example sickness, to be communicated with all Team Members as soon as possible. I'm sorry that this wasn't the case. I will share your comments with the relevant departments, but we'd like to discuss your comments further, so please contact the People Team on 03300412277.
A team member and multi-tasked
Continuity accross the whole team, experience a busy environment and have great customer service and care.
The roles are different on every type of shift given, but always deliver my best.

Just wish the hours were better
i am working 12hrs per week
gud company
I am happy to work in travelodge

I started work here recently

gud benefits,

the management was very gud they treating

customers very gud,

I am enjoying the culture,I learn so many things,I didnot receive any hardest part
na
the assistant manager was lovely she really did care for the staff at Travelodge and tried her best to ensure that the staff was happy and well looked after. unlike the manager he was not very nice to staff very rude
Can be busy depending on events/festivals etc, but overall a good place to work
We work as a team, although the job can be demanding, you do get periods of time to yourself - usually when guests are not checking in. Each shift is expected to help out maintaining the appearance/cleanliness of the hotel which involves some light cleaning tasks, sweeping up outside the main enterance, cleaning windows/reception floor. Both the hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job involve dealing with guests, as with any job involving dealing with the public, some people cause problems, but the vast majority are friendly and over time you can build a relationship with the regular guests. Management and business culture is based on everyone doing their best go give a positive customer experience while providing value for money. Overall it can be challenging at times, but I like working there
Pros
Can build relationships with people from all over the world.
Cons
Being a hotel you will be expected to work public holidays, Christmas/New Year etc, unless your rest days fall on those dates.
Nice place to work at
Team working is one of the thing I like most. Management listens to all making the job easier for all operational staff.The most enjoyable part of the job is continuous training
2 April 2020
Thank you sharing your experience. We agree, we have fantastic people working at Travelodge. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
nice place to work
i had a very good time working at travelodge
good team members good management

very nice place to work

work at afternoon shift from 3 pm to 11 pm

sometimes work until late overtime helping the team
A fantastic team!You are wonderful!Thank you very much!I wish you much success
A wonderful team,with many skills from which you have what to learn!Is offers you support,trust!They explain everything you need,they are present and involved!I was lucky enough to work at Travelodge Borehamwood!Thank you sou much for support!I recommend with all confidence!
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We'll share your comments with the team at Borehamwood.