Travelodge UK Employee Reviews

Productive and never dull
Trainee Manager (Current Employee) –  Feltham, Greater London16 April 2018
job is never the same is always different and fun. people within the company are friendly and will always offer support. your management team are always there if you require assistance.
Pros
fun, rewarding
Cons
repetitive
Travelode York Tadcaster fantastic
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  York Tadcaster13 April 2018
Worked for York tadcaster for 2 years on reception .never worked in a hotel before. I was taught how to work reception .clean a room 10 steps check a room
The training excellent all health and safety covered .fire training. First aid. Child protection.ect I suffer with osteoporosis and was given light duties for my condition the management monitoring my condition. But due to staff not turning up for work cleaning the bathroom's some days the work could be to hard for me having to clean bathrooms ect so I had to leave because of my health however I was encouraged to apply for a transfer to a bigger hotel were the reception duties are mainly just reception but the was no vacancy in my area and already secured a job with another company .overall I can honestly say the 2 years I worked at York tadcaster was a fantastic experience I learned everything I need to secure a job anywhere in the hotel trade the staff were great and management even sometimes hard but fair excellent. Travelodge is a great company to work for and if I ever wanted to change my job location again I would work with travelodge again without a doubt .don't let the poor reviews on here put you off working for this company if your willing to work hard and want to go far you'll be OK with every opportunity to progress thankyou travelodge for the giving me the position and education of the hospitality trade I cannot find anything negative to say about you .Please note I no longer work for this company but feel it deserves a great review and have in no way been asked or been scripted for this review I am speaking
  more... on my own experience of working at York Tadcaster
Pros
Roadside reception involves every job in the hotel
Cons
Cheap rooms 50% staff card life insurance ect grat comoany to work for
18 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will always do our best for our people, whether that be supporting them in a new role, or transferring to another hotel.

Good job benefits, however poor management.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Stonehouse13 April 2018
When I first started working at Travelodge I enjoyed it and I was impressed with the salary. I found the environment to be very unprofessional and I was not made to feel welcomed by the team and management. However, I did learn for myself as was not given sufficient training. This job did teach me how to work fast pace and efficiently in a set time. The workplace culture was not very good, as they stated that they exercised that everyone was treated equally, however I did not feel this way, and that as I was younger staff member I was treated disrespectfully. Regarding this issue i was able to be more confident with the public which would help me in my next job/career.
My shift would start on a Saturday at 9.30am and would finish whenever the rooms were complete and we were set a deadline that these rooms should be completed by a specific time. On a Sunday we would start at 10am and again finish when rooms were complete. Rooms should take up to 20 minutes to do unless you have a family room which would take 23 minutes to do.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Bad communication, poor management and workplace culture.
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bath8 April 2018
Doesn’t give you a great social life as the hours aren’t great. The hours are 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 so isn’t very social. Great place to work at and great training
Hit and Miss
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 April 2018
Pros - I started as a receptionist and progressed to hotel manager in only a couple of years. Some positive changes in regards to the rooms have been made over the past couple of years. 50% discount on rooms (after 3 months). The job can be very enjoyable if you have a good team of people to work with.

Cons - Work - life balance is not great. Being on call 24/7 is tiring as often even on your days off you are fielding calls (not always from the hotel either, sometimes from your manager, even when they know you are off).
Most budgets are difficult to work to, how you can run a hotel with little in the way of cleaning chemicals or equipment is beyond me but you have to fight for every penny you spend.

It mostly comes down to your manager (either hotel or district, depending on your level). If you get a good one that understands the real issues and will provide help when needed then it can be a great place to work. Meet interesting people and make some good friends.
Unfortunately for me, I had more 'bad' managers then good - by this I mean no help when it's needed, very quick to judge when things go wrong but nothing when things are going well. There always seemed to me to be a lot of favouritism.
Pros
Room discounts, meeting interesting people
Cons
Work/life balance, long shifts, underpaid for amount of work
Good company to work for
Hotel Receptionist (Former Employee) –  I covered at various sites in Yorkshire5 April 2018
I was taken on my this great company with no experience and will always be grateful for that. the training isnt the best as most of it is done on-line. I was offered opportunities to progress, but as I have an NVQ in admin prefered to come out of housekeeping duties that were attached to this job.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
shift swops at short notice
Fun workplace
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Tiptree30 March 2018
Had a very good time in that workplace, also had made friends, learnt new things for my own living way, also made me more confident into helping me with my personal way of commuicating to people out of the work place.
Pros
Discounts on the rooms
Cons
No free lunches.
Professional and friendly workplace
Guest Room Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Dock27 March 2018
I had a valuable and enjoyable time working for Travelodge, learning many skills I'll be able to carry forward into my future. I was able to work with a fantastic team and was able to gain practical skills such as effective time management and attention to detail.
5 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us and we wish you all the best in your future career.

Horrible company - horrible job!
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Devizes, Wiltshire27 March 2018
I worked for only a few days as a housekeeper and I left shortly after my induction. You're expected to clean THREE rooms within an hour. Stripping and remaking beds, cleaning the bathroom, hoovering, polishing, disinfecting etc. All of this has to be done in the correct order. Also, it all gets checked afterwards by the receptionist and you often get told to go back and re-do. The receptionist was on the same pay grade yet was very entitled. Also, all of your rooms are expected to be done in three hours - if not you get told off as this wastes the companies budget. Once rooms are spotless you then have to hoover the rest of the builder. Bottom of the pit job.
Pros
Good if you only want to work three hours a day.
Cons
Very stressful, poor pay for work put in.
Fun place to work at depending on how the management is ran and the team :-)
Receptionist Team Member (Current Employee) –  Nottingham27 March 2018
The Hardest Part of the job is dealing with out booking situation.

How to make the customer feel comfortable during their stay as they are away from their house few day's or week.

Management is okay.
Interesting job role
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sheffield18 March 2018
At my branch in Sheffield, the job itself is interesting and you come across all sorts of people and working night shifts, you get to learn a lot of things about society that you would not necessarily learn in another job. The hours are good, as they are only 8 hours long and you get to make some really close friends through team members.
Pros
50% discount on rooms and food and drink, friends and family discount
28 March 2018

Thank you for leaving a review. We agree that one of the great things about Travelodge is that we have fantastic people working for us and your team can become like family.

Horrible just horrible
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire18 March 2018
Awful place to work unless your the type to kiss upto the managers, everyone is very twofaced apart from a few, inachieveble time to get each room cleaned. Manager was a nasty piece of work and favourited staff. I’d never work there again
Pros
Cons
Long hours, horrible managers and low pay
Work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham15 March 2018
Very ' who you know' atmosphere
Managers don't really care as long as you can cover when they want you to
Work long shifts (doubles =16hrs) and no time off in between shifts. Often finishing at 6/7/8am and back in for 3pm. Also never asked if your okay working doubles just expected to do them.

Expected to be free all week so hard to make plans when they don't do the rotas untill two days before that week and it often changes anyway.

Hours are never what they say you will get and likely to change a lot anyway, so you believe your going for a 40hr week and end up with 16hrs, which is ridiculous when trying to afford to live.

Benefits are okay for the cheap rooms and discounts.
Pay is average, everyone gets minimum national wage for over 25's but with the amount of harassment you get it should be more.
Night shift gets about a £1 extra.

Rest of the team is great and friendly
Pros
Cheap rooms and discounts
Cons
Long hours, doesn't feel like you could call out sick. Management really don't care about you
good workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 March 2018
typical day of work was hard working being on your feet all day to get the job done.
learned how to clean and be polite to guests and if they wanted help i done my best to try and help them.
hardest part of the job was the time scale.
Work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bridgend6 March 2018
Excellent company to work for . I was able to move around to other lodges they have a reward scheme plus you can get good room rates for yourself . They accommodate people’s needs
8 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sometimes we forget that we have so many hotels and transferring may be an option. It's great we can support people if their circumstances ever change and working at another location may suit them better.

fun workplace
House keeper (Former Employee) –  Lancaster3 March 2018
this was a good place to work and made new friends i got this job when i moved to this area because i had recently worked in the lake district and needed a diffrent job and a new start .
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
strict rules
Fun workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Northolt1 March 2018
Cleaning the rooms handling the keys checking in out the customers talking to customers keep the environment place clean n tidy answering the phones calls
Everything is a variable
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, Somerset27 February 2018
Depends on the hotel that you work and your position ... Mines not the best as is quite old and the brand standards are just for some xD

Every hotel has different rules and procedures!
Brighton seafront. Never again
Night Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brighton26 February 2018
Terrible place run by inept management who can't do their jobs and take it out on the staff.
They'll shout at staff, threaten to cut hours, if you make a mistake Tey won't discuss it they will just cut your hours and act passive aggressive towards you. No lunch break, no seating at all for entire shift.
Other staff are good though
Pros
Other staff
Cons
Managers, hours, pay, security
Productive and fun workplace
Hotel Worker (Former Employee) –  London24 February 2018
First job since i came to the UK. Learned a few things regarding in working in the kitchen.
For a long time i was on my own working in the kitchen and managed to successfully serve food on time in busy days.
It was a stable job, good team work, good communication and environment.
28 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your experience. We're glad you learnt a lot and enjoyed your time with Travelodge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travelodge UK. Our community is ready to answer.