Travelex Employee Reviews

Receptionist/Exchange
Customer Sales and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Airport17 April 2019
My duties were to exchange currency for travellers in Heathrow Airport.

Dealing with the customers in gaining excellent rates of exchange, whereby also making sure the company achieves interest.

Taking money from the clients and banking this into the bureaus.

This was a very interesting position, which I enjoyed immensely, but the shift hours was unsociable.
Pros
Free parking
Just awful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire12 April 2019
Good training by a lovely line manager but then just demoed after 2 weeks when short staffed and expected to go solo. No one to ask on the end of the phone when there should have been. Till was always down because previous person ok shift just kept putting the minus though on my number. Such a shame as I like the actual job.
Cons
They suck the life out of you leaving a gibbering wreck
Bureau Manager (Current Employee) –  South West5 April 2019
The actual job is fine. Meet lots of people, handle all different currencies. The working environment will eventually kill you. You get to wear a plastic box like a waistcoat and breath your own carbon dioxide for hours on end. Sweat yourself into a coma in the summer, freeze your skin to the desk in the winter. Contort your body in unnatural ways all year.The working environment is almost heaven compared with the treatment by middle management. Area Managers and above are at best idiots and at worst bullies. Never make the mistake of thinking you are a human being to them.I haven't actually learnt the words I need to describe just how bad HR can be.I gave job advancement three stars because if you can stick it out long enough to lose all your morals you too could be an Area or Regional Manager or make a move to Head Office. If you do decide to take the risk and accept a position make sure you lock all that is good about you in the safe while you are working or every molecule will be sucked from your soul.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Your contract small print sees you sell yourself to the devil
Great workplace
Foreign Exchange Cashier (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire25 March 2019
Great workplace, great colleagues, great management, great teamwork, great values. No staff card so if you make a mistake it does not get taken off of your wages, love it.
Think even three times before you join this company
Cash Processor (Former Employee) –  cash solution Heathrow Airport20 March 2019
This is the worst company I ever worked for.
Very unapproachable management. A culture of bullying, humiliation and harassment.
Don't listen to what they say in an interview. Promise lot give minimum. You going to be the only number in this company, don't think about carrier prospect. The job is just routine day by day. They want you to work hard for little money ( no pay rise from the last three years for longer service employees).
Don't even ask the manager for anything, the answer is always NO.
You may be ok if you are good at buttering up, but if you stand up for yourself they grill you alive. Don't think they going to have any sympathy for you if have any health issues. They make you work even harder so you give up and leave. Bigger bully higher reward.
Please, managers, take some 21st-century management training, so you know how to speak to your staff and treat them with dignity. So far you stack in the 1970s'. As pathetic is that. Please, bring this company to British standards.
Don't think HR is any better. No, they all the same.
People don't last long in this place. Only these desperate with no nervous system.
Most office equipment recovered from recycling, including a computers.No proper sitting arrangement. After working 8 hours in this fast pace place you end up with pain all of the body. The workload was enormously high. Very often no time for a break.
Oh, one more thing. They are very good at messing around with your pay and taxes.
I don't know who rate Travelex 5 stars, I would give them 0 if is an option.
Pros
some good co-workers, free pizza or other food before monthly survey
Cons
poor management
bad management
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  heathrow19 March 2019
the management is not good. too much of unfairness. own rules are made by the managers which is not even part of the handbook. favouritism is done when it comes to certain collegaues giving thhem other benfits
Terrible management
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Costa, UK16 March 2019
The training was non existent, employees are expected to do full shifts by themselves without sufficient training. There was never any follow up meetings to ensure that new employees are settled and comfortable with the job role.

Some managerial behaviour was very inappropriate and unprofessional.
Bullying culture
HR (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 March 2019
All i can say about this company is do not apply for a job! I bullied by the Head of HR to the point i needed to be medicated for severe anxiety. Upon my resignation Surprise surprise, no exit interview was completed by HR for HR who appeared to condone the behaviour.

Pros:
Some very nice people
Interesting job

Cons:
Bullying is welcome
Bullying is rewarded
Poor rates of pay
Unrealistic expectations
Fear culture
Excellent work life balance
Foreign Exchange specialist (Current Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey13 February 2019
They are a highly professional organization to work for and I learnt key skills around Foreign exchange management while working here. I enjoyed the learning experience that was provided by the different teams I have worked for within this organization.
Pros
Flexible working
a startup job but not a career move
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merseyside6 February 2019
Travelex DO NOT actively promote from within. its pretty much a deadend job and the hours offered are the hours given (+5hrs to cover holidays and sicknesses)

Travelex only offer part-time roles, but expect full-time commitments

perks aren't that great or of any real benefit as most people don't last more than a year or 2 and move on.
Cons
no progression, minimal overtime, lone working, loads of paperwork, different IT systems
Interesting experience..
Travel Money Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline30 January 2019
Enjoyed the first few months of the position,
During training there's a lot to learn & the manager seemed more focused on getting a earlier finish than training me properly.
Work life balance was okay but for the amount of responsibility we were given the pay rate wasn't good.
Good holiday's, easy enough to book time off.
Had to submit own hours weekly for approval before then getting paid for them last working day of every month which was odd for me.
Unfortunately I was told to leave 1 year & 2 months into the position. There was a customer who bought currency using alot of high quality fake GBP notes it was simply a case of whoever was in that day I think but I lost my job over it even tho I did check them as I was trained to do. The area manager was less than supportive & a bit cruel as I left the store which made me almost glad I didn't need to work with her again.

All in all its a alright company to work for but when something goes wrong they definitely forget to support their staff when it matters.
Pros
Good relationship with customers. Holidays.
Cons
Lonely at times, low pay rate, unsupportive staff at times.
Regional managers don’t care
Travel money manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside30 January 2019
I was a travel money manager, had a lot of issues with staff was constantly asking for help but regionals didn’t care. Went on sick and got shouted at and told I needed to leave for the problem to be solved.
Pay was good. Holidays were good. If a manger you do the rota so that was good.
Shame I got forced out
Pros
Wage
Cons
Regional managers
It's where dreams come to die (literally)
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Uk30 January 2019
First of all, job title. Don't be mislead by the words "sales consultant". You're effectively a glorified shop assistant. There's no more of "sales" aspect to it than in a grocery store where people come to get what they want and leave. Then there are the prices. If you're happy ripping people off for a living (who doesn't want to sell at 20% below the market rate, right?) Then you'd fit right in. This also brings me on to job security. In today's world, with companies such as Monzo offering MasterCard exchange rates etc- this is a DYING market- sooner or later we will hear on the news that Forex companies will be cutting jobs in a cost saving attempt. Would not surprise me if they replaced all the quieter locations with HES machines. Poor management, out of touch with the real world, and unachievable targets.
The only good thing about this place is the work/life balance. The introduction of the new bonus scheme is a nice touch, however the pay is still way to low. Absolutely no scope for promotion. The company would also rather lose an employee and replace them with yet another over-enthusiastic teenager, who soon realises what they're in for and leaves, rather than try to retain its good, hard working staff.
Pros
work/life balance, end of year bonus
Cons
Dead-end job, long hours, misleading job title, extremely low exchange rate, company culture
Sucks the life out of you
Travel Money Advisor (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire27 January 2019
minimum 5 hour shift secluded within a small suffocating box being abused by customers when you don't carry stock of all world currencies. can not take breaks especially during summer periods. very very lonely place to work no sense of team ethics. management are selfish and rude and they don't listen to any concerns people have all they care about it how much money the company makes to make themselves look better. major breach in employee confidentiality which left a young girl ruined and absolutely no attempts are made to lift staff moral. I began my job a happy laid back individual and left an emotional wreck with mental health battles. never recommend anyone choose this company as a long term career option.
Pros
free tea in staff canteen
Cons
the entire company is a sham and lacks support and empathy for colleagues
Call centre is a dreadful place to work
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Peterborough10 January 2019
The call centre is ran be a complete dragon who treats her staff appallingly. Sacking people for the most trivial of things. The call centre is ran by fear, targets and bullying. If ur face doesn’t fit u are out the door. Terrible place to work
Pros
Non
Cons
Management treat staff very badly
Easy entry level job. Thats about it
CUSTOMER SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire30 December 2018
The call centre is a dictator driven machine where fear is used to motivate. Those who speak up or challenge are quickly gotten rid of.
Lack of any real management experience makes the leadership very ineffective.
The only saving grace is if you work nights, you are away from a lot of the politics.
If your face fits you will do well
Sales Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 Station28 December 2018
Varied job but constant changes bring unrest in the workforce.
Management promote their friends.
Shift work but management think nothing of moving the goalposts and changing shift hours to even earlier and later even when workforce have worked there loyally for years.
But if your face fits you can work the hours you want.
Target set environment which are achievable if you are put in the best places to a achieve the targets.
Advancement courses are available and rolled out efficiently in a fun way but you are not encouraged to bring this back into the workplace as it does not fit in with being short staffed and higher management do not encourage.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Negativity
Travelex
Interim Junior HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2018
Not a good company to work for - wouldn't recommend
-Head of HR was horrific
-HR for HR was even worse
-It's like a slaughter factory culture
-They say it's diverse but they aren't, they just have a lot of ethic minorities working in low paid jobs
-If you think you'll be getting paid on time, think again especially if you are working the bureau
Exchanged currency and supplied business with money.
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex25 October 2018
I would exchange foreign currency, supply other business in the airport with money for their tills and do banking for the businesses. Dealt with customers face to face. The management were very nice. Really nice working at the airport because every so happy they are going on holiday. There was always something happening in the airport like famous people coming through. Also the staff in the other business were also friendly. Lifting the bags of coins was very physical. A lot of concentration was also required not to make any
mistakes when giving customers their money.
Pros
Lots of famous customers
Cons
Very quite when waiting for flights to land.
Would hate to work here again
VAT Host / VAT Refunds (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London25 October 2018
Terrible place to work. The staff and management are unorganised and are last minute thus always having to wait around. Bad and flexible hours, don't know why I stayed!
Pros
Na
Cons
Too many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travelex. Our community is ready to answer.