Transport for London Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  London4 July 2018
I like working for TfL, they have created a culture aimed at including everyone and ensuring we all have the same opportunities. It's a great place to build a career and learn.

A typical day is busy, I learn about policies and the constant changes made my government everyday as it directly effects our employees.

The hardest part of the job is making a mistake that majorly effects someones pay or finding the balance of fulfilling the needs of our employees with the resources we have available.
Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
I enjoyed my 3 years at TfL and commend the company for its use of technology to better serve the people of London. For me it was a rewarding experience.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  London10 May 2018
Productive and fun inputting data in systems. Friendly environment and very good staff to work with. Enjoyable learnt a lot. I also had the privilege to learn about some new and amazing systems.

Moving forward given the opportunity to work again with this company I would grab it with both hands.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Solid working environment
Graduate Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2018
All the security you'd expect from a large organisation, with the commensurate downside of bureaucracy. Lots of nice people and some very interesting projects.
strict and target driven
Senior Reservationist (Former Employee) –  old kent road2 May 2018
general office and admin duties.

day to day tasks and case reports.

temporary placement covering maternity leave.

competitive salary but strict environment
Pros
na
Cons
na
More change
Technical U nix Lead (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands1 May 2018
I worked in the team responsible for testing all code and infrastructure changes to a key project in London. The rate of change and testing of that required 3 full-size test environments that were constantly being performance tested, regression tested.
A great environment of can do attitudes.
Pros
Real positive can-do feel to the entire program of work, one big family
Typical day at work
Lead Protection Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 April 2018
It was friendly and good atmosphere to work with different people from all walks of life with different cultures,background and ideologies..
It was very busy and enjoyable after solving problems for our clients or stake holders
Typical day starts with briefing Managers to go out and staff for the various safety critical duties
Highlighting issues from the previous shift and to make sure same or mistakes are not repeated
Talks with your staff to find out their weaknesses and strengths so as to build on the good ones and work on their weakness to the standards acceptable by TFL
To ensure managers and staff all comply with all the health and safety laws,rules and regulation
Attending of meetings,advising stake holders,reviewing plans and also updating the senior management of the status of the shift with any incidents,near miss etc
Great company - needs to modernise
Employee Comms (Former Employee) –  London29 April 2018
I enjoyed working here - some outdated systems and not always helpful in getting the job done. Great team and really flexible working. Unions are a bit of a pain and take up too much time!
Supportive and fun place to work
Operational Policy Manager (Current Employee) –  London28 April 2018
Line management is supportive. Workplace culture is positive. Political pressure can be difficult. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Development is encouraged.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Political pressure
Best company around
Special Projects / Fleet Manager All Lines (Former Employee) –  London15 April 2018
Nice company with progressive ideas and standards. They try hard and change as required good people and good job opportunities as well.
Good in all respects.
Pros
Travel, locations etc
Cons
Can be shift work.
A Great Place to work
Senior Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London12 April 2018
TfL is a large corporate environment to work within and then brings many positive attributes, however this can also have the effect of slowing things down due to internal governance protocols.

I would lead and manager a team of commercial/procurement staff. We had the opportunity working within a large organisation of working on and delivering a number of key projects that were politically driven.

Identifying and delivering commercial savings to budget for me was very satisfying.
Pros
A great working environment to work within supported with fantastic facilities
An excellent place to work where there is always something interesting to do to make a difference.
Programme Director, Group Procurement led (Former Employee) –  London11 April 2018
An excellent place to work with highly skilled dedicated colleagues who are professional and keen to make a difference to improve the lives of Londoners. if you want interesting opportunities this is the place to be.
Pros
Flexible working, free travel
A secure work place
Service Controller (Former Employee) –  London7 April 2018
You have to make safety critical decisions under high pressure. while keeping a normal as possible. with little support from managers,

work with the team and the support from those and colleges..
Pros
Cheap transport cost
Cons
differing shift through out week
n/a
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London6 April 2018
Pleasant working enrolment, management do encourage development however it isn't frequent enough.

Work life is a little rigid in comparison to my previous work places.
Good company
Revenue Inspector (Former Employee) –  London baker street.3 April 2018
Diversity and opportunity to progress in a supportive framework. Good union representation ensuring good conditions.
Shifts can be difficult to balance with a life outside the company.
Passengers pay a great deal and suffer much disruption but are generally pleasant.
Pros
Conditions
Cons
Polution in london
Good working relationship and fun
Train Driver (Current Employee) –  Golders Green24 March 2018
Being out in the country side in all weathers, learning how to deal with train defects and fixing them to get train moving again. .managemen are good to work with, we all have a good laugh together a fun job when thing are running normal.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Helping keep london's streets safe
A Principal Traffic Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  PALESTRA LONDON14 March 2018
Challenging environment with many areas of personal development available. Significant planning and skills within a team providing much needed communicaton skills. The end game being to keep londons roads safe for all users at all costs.
The work ethic is fabulous and all teams support one another
Pros
Excellent benefits and flexible working
Cons
Out of hours works on site
Productive and a fun place to work
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  London12 March 2018
My typical day at work started at 7:30am. Always started the day out reading all my emails and took my actions from there as well as continuing on with the tasks from the day before. I learnt a significant amount about how and where and all the train Bourne components functioned and their interaction with all the other components on the train.
I worked for a good manager who let me get on with the job but was available if I needed help. The work place culture was varied depending on the scope of works required, sometimes pressurized and some times relaxed. It is a busy place of work with tight deadlines but was very rewarding in the end and I got on well with the team.The hardest part of the job was procuring all the parts on time before the project starts.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting with suppliers and creating a good working relationship to get the parts in on time what with the challenging environment we are in.
Pros
Reward recognitions
Large public sector organisation
Development Manager (Current Employee) –  St James Park11 March 2018
Transport for London is a large organisation which is accountable to the Mayor of London and help deliver the Transport Strategy, therefore it has a political responsibility and a responsibility to Londoners.
productive and fun
engineer intern (Former Employee) –  london10 March 2018
working was always very eventful and was productive and could have fun with colleagues during weekend or even after work, also we used to play football during weekends and go gym when we could together

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport for London. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2