Town Council Employee Reviews

4.0Pay & Benefits
4.1Job Security & Advancement
Manically busy
Chief Executive (Current Employee) –  Saxmundham, Suffolk19 July 2018
A typical day at work is extremely busy and not enough time to mix with various communities and our residents.
I have attended various courses regarding statutory duties and have advanced in the financial side of this appointment. When I joined this Council over thirteen years ago I was very much a fledgling in this type of work. I have learnt on the job and attended various courses on statutory duties and the financial side of the post which I really enjoy.
I have only had an Assistant the last 4 years and used to work on my own. It has been beneficial to have someone to share experiences and problems with. Managing my Assistant and the caretaker has been a learning curve which I have really enjoyed.
The workplace culture changes due to the fact that most Councillors, who are unpaid, stay for the 4 year term and often do not put themselves up for re-election. The difficulty often arises when high powered businessmen join as a Councillor but do not understand that Councils do not work in the same way as the business world.
The hardest part of the job recently has been a massive overload of work and minimal time to complete tasks. I often work at weekends and we have very late meetings in the evenings. I really miss not having sufficient time to mix with our communities and residents as I did in the past.
I have enjoyed my time doing this professional work but would now like to find a part time job which is both challenging and enjoyable but would also complement a balance between work and home life.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Professional Office
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  swanscombe25 February 2015
Admin, dealing with the public in person and on the phone. Petty Cash and accounts. Showing the public the facilities available to hire and maintain bookings and payments.
Pros
Local
Cons