Tower Hamlets

Tower Hamlets Employee Reviews

United Kingdom61 reviews
Good salary, but very hard work!
I was in the MASH team so attention to detail with speed was imperative. This proved to be very stressful which is why the salary was considered good.

The most enjoyable part of the day was turning off the computer at the end of the working day!
Worst place I have ever worked
There was a culture of bullying. I was tupeed into the housing options team much against my wishes. The job I was doing when I transferred was taken from me against all guarantees that had been made prior to my transfer. The culture of bullying in my team definitely came from the top downWards. I eventually asked for a transfer on medical grounds because I needed to maintain my sanity and health. I don’t recall having a worthwhile or productive supervision. Management were unhelpful and at times obstructive. When I had an epileptic seizure at work, my manager, who was not at work when it happened was more concerned that I had not informed her before than with my health, even though I notified her at the first opportunity. Tower Hamlets Human Resources were unhelpful in resolving these issues and even threatened to dismiss me even though to do so would probably have been illegal. My request for a transfer was fully supported by Tower Hamlets’ Occupational Health After leaving Tower Hamlets my manager delayed and deleted several requests for references.
Pros
Some good team colleagues
Cons
Bullying culture
Well connected and positive atmosphere
Towerhamlets is a very positive place of work. There are many pros to working such as collaboration with others, friendly staff and managers etc. This all leads to a positive environment at work.
Poor management
Unfortunately there are managers working here who do not take problematic personalities to task with the result that they end up losing good members of staff with a more moral work ethic.
N/a
Working at the council was interesting and challenging. I worked with a number of stakeholders and was able to manage their expectations.

As a business analyst I modelled processes and proposed solutions.
productive and fast paced enviroment
i have enjoyed working for towerhamlets for the past two years, everyone is very friendly and helpfully. i have learned alot for example i maintain and update database, answer quries over the phone and via email, i book meetings and interpretors for my team, i prepare paperwork for meetings and projects are just a few.
I was employed temporarily at Tower Hamlets there did not accumulate any paid holiday which was understandable.
The work was interesting but believe I could have been given more assistance for the role. As it was a job I had not done previously. The role was very interesting and I saw another side to the work of collectors of the Council.
High pressure, political environment
Great place if you want a challenge!

As an employer, always moving forward. Expect hard work, but recognition for a good job.

Loved the diverse nature of the job.
Politics
Working for Tower Hamlets was good for flexibility and very good cause you get to engage with local residents helping them get benefits from our services.

However, the management in Tower Hamlets can have a power buzz and when you see this it is really petty and childish. You see jealousy most time and a power buzz attitude flying around the office.

Although you have teams who actually works well together.
The work with the families was rewarding with positive outcomes. However, staff were not appreciated and undermined with high employee turnover.
I would never recommend anyone else to them. Did not like to be managed this way and supervised supervised negatively. Staff moral was always ignored.
Senior Managers come and go and there is no consistency
I have worked for TH now for 7 years. All their senior management team and consultants come and go all the time, there is no consistency at all.

Staff don't know whether they are coming or going as things change so often. In social services (adult), nothing is ever planned and no policies.

Senior managers do not know what they are doing. lots of favouritism going on and not a place to work, if only I did not have few years to my pension.... I would have long gone.
Pros
Union recognition.
Cons
Never ending tasks that just go on and on. No one really carers in that place.
Friendly People
A usual typical day, ensuring that the manager are equiped with thier meeting papers for the day, that thier 'inboxes' are scanned and any urgent mail is flagged up.
Pros
35 week and flexi time
Cons
all PA's have to work in the office, there is no flexibility
great
great place to work. They strongly encourage a good work/ life balance and wish to support career development where possible.
They cover a challenging area but strive to do well for their community.
very good employer to work for. good training and experience.
I worked for Tower Hamlets for 18 years before the last short contract of employment. The service really looks after their staff and there are many advantages to working for this service.
They are fair and the managers really look after their staff. There is always training and personal development opportunities to take advantage of if you wish.
Pros
good work ethos
Cons
some contracts are only 6 months long
productive , fun workplace
It is a good environment , I gained experience and was challenged with new challenges that came across . My team were great we worked together well , by doing so we created a good working place .
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive fair and flexible place to work
Tower Hamlets believe in strong fair and equal diversity. Very flexible place to work in. Staff and management are very caring and look out for your best interest that's if you don't get on their bad side.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
No parties
Great Job
Every day was different, great people to work with, supported by my managers.

Always able to grow in your position. Training was a high point in your position.

Great pay, flexible working hours.

Get recommendation from the residents.
Pros
Lovely team, great support. Rewarded for your efforts
Cons
A excellent school to work in.
The most enjoyable part of the job w as working with young children to help them learn through their play in a great Nursery School. I worked closely with the team to provide the best possible learning experience for the class and help them to be settled and happy at the school.
Pros
Sharing the joy of young children learning
Cons
Demanding work
Good Place to work with evolving culture
LBTH has gone through a lot of changes recently and is also undergoing an internal transformation with underpinning resources being improved such as IT. Definitely a Council which is going places
Pros
Good variety of work and nice people
Cons
Not the highest public sector salary
great
it was great time , began in june of the summer and was really worth the while got allot of exposure to different aspects of the boroughs work and also gained great experience in the field
Pros
people
Cons
space
Dynamic and forward thinking
Management can do with an overhaul but overall it is a great place to work especially if you are creative and want to set up new ways or working. djjdjdj