Total People Employee Reviews

Very 'Face Fits' Culture, No Training, Bureaucratic
HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire6 August 2019
I was a Human Resouces Advisor at Macclesfield. The 'training' I had was 4 weeks of shadowing, which is not training.

Office was very much a middle class club If they did not like you, people would not speak.

I was out in my company car, monitoring the progress of NVQ Apprentices, not really having much of a clue what I was meant to be doing. Of course, this was all entirely my fault. I witnessed taxpayers' money being wasted on a big scale, people donig next to nothing, and ridiculous waste of paper.
Friendly and flexible workplace
Functional Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cheshire22 August 2018
I worked here for several years as a Trainer. There was a lot of travelling in the job and no two days were the same. Management were fair and willing to listen. Most enjoyable part of the job was planning your day and organising your own workload but you need to be self motivated, autonomous and able to work unsupervised to succeed in a Training role.

Hardest part of the job - travelling for miles to meet learners who could not be released from the job for training.
Staff - most friendly team I have ever worked with.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Poor pay structure and little opportunity for progression
Face fits culture
General dogs body (Current Employee) –  Middlewich, Cheshire31 July 2018
Company has been taken over by MC. new MD in post who has created lots of change. Redundancies have happened in various sectors so far and I am sure will continue. A lot of staff are turning on each other because of this.

Company overall:
Lacks communication skills, throughout centre to centre everything is done differently!

Learners are being disadvangaged because exams are not booked, learners will turn up and have to be asked to leave after up to 2 hours of waiting.

Employers unhappy with disorganisation of learners.

Face fits culture, managers have been there years. Colleagues who appear supportive/ happy to help you often will ‘report back’.
HR friends with Colleagues which puts them in my eyes in to a position of distrust.

People given job titles, unsure of what they actually do? Or having their role given out to others on top of their work load. Doesn’t make sense!!

Company isn’t used to targets, will struggle in current climate re apprenticeships. Already company are not making money nor breaking even on P&L.

Thrown in at deep end with job, learn as you go and only told you are doing something wrong when you make a mistake.

Managers go out galavanting for afternoons here or there!

Salary is awful 17.5k -18k usually given with car allowance. Some staff travel hours during the day to get to centres. But policies are not the same for everyone, some people will have very flexible diary’s others will not. This depends on what team you are on.

Gossiping is rife, more so than other companies I’ve worked at. The ones doing the most
  more... gossiping are the ones who don’t seem to have much work to do and awaiting redundancies to hit them.
Team meetings are a waste of time and expenses to get there.
Pros
Wearing own clothes, dress down approach
Cons
Everything else.
Challenging workplace, ref' learners and other staff members. Ex tutor at TP, 2015
Tutor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands16 June 2018
Some supportive colleagues, seemingly supportive management.
Learners were from varied troubled backgrounds, however it was very rewarding to see some learners achieve after working hard to get through their academic qualifications.
It was a pleasure to see some of the individuals persevere and get through to the end of their education programmes.
Pros
Every day brought unexpected, new challenges.
Cons
Very little room for career progression.
Wonderful company brilliant staff to work with
Head Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Middlewich11 June 2018
Busy reception every day.
I learnt many things and gained my qualification in NVQ Customer Service and Business Admin level 2 & 3.
Management were always approachable.
The hardest part of my position was to say NO to extra work loads.
I loved meeting people from all levels both in the work place and face to face contact.
Verification programme co coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire20 February 2018
Good place to work, work life balance is good .. but doesn't pay very well, travel allowance is provided ...
The learners are split into manageable groups and resourses are provided
Employee
Centre Administrator (Current Employee) –  Crewe13 December 2017
Total People are a North West training provider, covering apprenticeships in a variety of qualifications such as Engineering, Motor Vehicle, Equestrian and Construction. I would maintain good contact with a variety of customers, help learners with queries and also do general administration duties.
Terrible organisation to study with
Student in childcare (Former Employee) –  Crewe3 October 2016
I applied for an apprenticeship in childcare and got put on a study programme. Didn't explain dates and the course clearly. Felt like being in school again as it was a waste of my time.
Pros
Got paid for fuel usuage
Cons
Didn't put me on the right course that I applied for
Stable employment
Centre Administrator (Current Employee) –  Telford30 September 2016
Good manager
Can be stressful
uncompetative salary
Poor team work
Poor communication
Some very strong and capable members of staff
Helping learners who have had a stressful back ground and poor expierience at school to focus and achieve things they thought were not possible
Cons
high work load
Supportive and challenging
Functional Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Middlewich29 February 2016
Travelling from venue to venue to deliver to a variety of learners needing either functional skills support or GCSE English Language tutoring. Predominantly a lone worker left to manage own caseload and ensure learners achieve their targets prior to their funding and framework deadlines.

Co-workers are extremely supportive and helpful and always willing to answer a call to offer advice or guidance when necessary, as I do in return.

The hardest part of the job is the amount of travelling between venues and rarely seeing another team member.

The most enjoyable and fulfilling part of the job, is helping the learners achieve and knowing it was as a result of your patience and their hard work.
Fab!
Apprentice Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burton on Trent24 February 2016
Total People really supported me with my childcare qualifiacation and without them I wouldnt have achieve the job that I now have! The staff really supportive and training sessions are excellent.
Pros
Earn while you learn
Supportive and a great confidence booster
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent24 February 2016
This training provider supported me through my childcare qualification and gave me lots of confidence to progress and to gain a full time job in what I loved to do. Would really recommend
Pros
Lots of suidance and support, training really informitive
Cons
This is a horrible place
Level 2 Childcare Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent7 December 2015
Stressful, unfair and demanding while working £2.73 an hour to do the exactly same as other staff. Total people is awful place to work and the trainers are unfair and not approachable.
Challenging and rewarding
Centre Administrator (Current Employee) –  Telford, ENG11 July 2015
The job can be very challenging as dealing with learners with challenging behaviours, but can also be very rewarding when you see their reaction when you tell them they have passed their exams, as for some of our learners even though they are 16+ it is often the first time they have passed anything and will receive a certificate. Hardest part of the job is witnessing staff not giving the learners 100% and hard working staff members having to carry them because they have no motivation to do the best they can for our learners.
Great work lifestyle
Director (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland3 December 2014
Offers me fantastic opportunities to continue developing skills and experience and allow me to work with people I like

I love the chance to assist companies in achieving goals by solving problems and see the development of their staff driving motivation and growth in both people skills and business assets

The hardest part of the job is being self employed there is less security with a continual need to think about the future opportunities
Pros
Lifestyle choice
total people
College (Former Employee) –  Telford, ENG16 June 2014
Great college, best college I had been to, I worked hard and got along with my teacher really well, she helped me pursue my dream of becoming a carer and supported me alot. Havent got a bad thing to say about the college
Great in - house training, lots of support.
Management Training Adviser (Former Employee) –  Based at Middlewich.31 July 2013
I would manage my own diary and caseload, this gave me the opportunity to work in a variety of companies. I also worked on large cohorts ( around 20 learners) for the NHS, Liverpool community health and Cheshire East council.

Whilst at Total People I completed my Management L3, Advice & Guidance Support L2 and my Key skills for Communication, Maths and ICT at L2.

The more difficult part of my job was to market for new companies as time was an issue when working on large cohorts, this was over come by booking marketing dates in advance to visit other companies.

The most enjoyable aspect of my role of Training Adviser was meeting new people and coaching them to develop and meeting their development goals. This is where my passion resides.
Pros
Great development opportunities.
Cons
Poor expenses package.
It is a fun place but it also is very challenging to prepare us for college.
Student (Current Employee) –  Crewe, ENG18 July 2013
We learn how to build teamwork skills and make new friends easily and not to get distracted off our work.
Our tutors are good because they push us to work hard and they are there to support us.
My peers are a good influence because they make me happy however they can distract me.
The hardest part of total people is travelling to there but now that is corrected.
The most enjoyable part is the challenges that we participate in and it is the satisfaction that we get better every day.
Pros
Being close to all the shops.
Cons
Being so far from home
Good college
student (Former Employee) –  stoke on trent7 January 2013
it really helped me expand myself, the staff where very freindly and understanding. its great to help work in a team and on your own.
Pros
helps people
Cons
n/a
Supportive and Interesting Workplace
Functional Skills Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cheshire22 October 2012
As a training company, Total People are dedicated to training their staff and supporting them within the roles they take on.

There's a wonderful social team who create events for the staff and there's always a great Christmas dinner!

There are so many aspects to the job;
-flexible working hours
-running your own schedule
-different situation every day

Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing young people attain what they've been told they never would.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total People. Our community is ready to answer.