TORBAY COUNCIL

TORBAY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom24 reviews
Office environment. worked for agency, not permanent. full time.days varied. Enjoyed working with people and undertaking assessments. Locality was very good. I was very familiar with Torbay , given I worked for them 18 years ago. It was interesting to see other social workers I knew. Adoption specialism I learned a lot from and would return to adoption work. Adoption team Torbay folded up and became the South West Adoption Team which involved 4 LA's.
Love working with children and families and have over 20 years experience but had to leave as caseloads high (never had a full weekend off in 4 months and social workers do not get paid overtime) management chaotic and obsessed with spreadsheets. Never had supervision. My manager wasn't from the area and did not know how anything worked and never replied to emails or wanted to hear about my families!sl
Pros
Parking reasonable. Colleagues good
Cons
Overworked unsupported unheard exhausting
They are very unorganised, have a lot of agency staff who only stay for short periods large turnover of staff, and move staff around a lot. Felt very unsupported
With a good salary and relaxed working conditions, this is a great place to work in my field, however it's the people with really make it special. The hours are also very flexible.
I enjoy working as a school escort for Torbay Council.I am never late as I am picked up and dropped home.It is a rewarding job taking the children to school and back ,dealing with any challenges that might occur with a satisfactory conclusion,making sure the children are happy and safe.It fits in well with looking after my 14 year old daughter as well
The job is not for everyone. It is a tough job. The management are there for support and always have time to listen if you have had an incident or just need to chat. Even though people will be rude and swear at you others will have a laugh and a joke and thank you for doing a good job. And all the walking keeps you fit !
Terrible place really but pays the bills will leave as soon as i find something suitable being a traffic warden is hazardous and stressful and management support is minimal more interestd in getting people out to enforce than welfare
In my short time working for torbay council (Parking Services) i can honestly say it was biggest mistake ive ever made and have regretted it. Thankfully now i have moved on! Management is shocking. There is no duty of care and a massive turn over of staff. I wonder why? When i started i was pretty optimistic and excited for the future but soon relised that i had made a big mistake. Staff morale was at a all time low and working with a lot of pi**ed off people. You'd have more fun working at a cemetery! However, despite my negativity and nothing great to say about the service. This doesn't mean to say other services are the same. I think its safe to say i'll never work for the council again. Parking Services has a lot to learn especially on staff management and people skills. The salary doesn't justify the work and line of duty. You work 5 weekends in a row before you have a weekend off and the shifts are anything between early starts (7.30am) and late finishes (10pm) so don't bother if you have a social life.
Pros
Fresh Air
Cons
Terrible Shifts, A lot of weekend work, poor management, poor staff morale, poor leadership, poor salary
Worked here for 15 months. I can honestly say it’s the worst managed and organised job I’ve experienced in 45 years of working.
Uniform is same for summer and winter, no extra warm weather clothing provided even though you’re expected to work in all weathers. Rain gear is cheapest available.

When Officers are attacked or verbally abused there is no duty of care shown by Manager who is only interested in how many tickets have been issued.

You are treated by office workers in same department as if they had just scrapped you off bottom of their shoe.

Some of colleagues are really good to work with but unfortunately the majority are ticket issueing automatons and are horrible to work with and go out of their way to upset the public.

Don’t bother working here unless you fall into the last category - not a job for nice people!!!
Pros
Fresh air
Cons
Shocking Management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TORBAY COUNCIL?
Dreadful now. Never used to be. Managers come and go. Fosters are bottom of the barrow. Patronising and unhelpful. Haven't a clue. A handful of SWs are brilliant and need cloning!!!!
Pros
Cons
Treat you like something you wipe off your shoe...
I worked there for a long time and once you get used to the politics and how it works you realise it is the nature of the beast.

It is changing so isn't quite what it is but it is a good emplyer.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Regular restructures
Not enough hours working for torre I not happy with the way it’s ran it’s a joke nothing ever gets done it’s run like a monkey house bad with keeping staff
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
The school i was working in was for young people who had emotional and behavioural difficulties. There were no boundaries for these kids. The language used by the staff was disgusting and i wondered who exactly was in charge of the school, the kids or the teachers.
Pros
non
Cons
no support from managment
Most days were very hectic and stressful due to overwork. Management team very difficult at times and unsupported.
My own team were great and very dedicated.

Most enjoyable part of my role was working with children and families.
Pros
Team
Cons
busy working environment under tight budget restraints. good working environment and good benefit scheme for employees. good rates of pay compared to other local authorities in the south west area.
No promotions no team work lack lustre bosses who are overpaid and lazy.If your face Doesn't fit forget any leg ups or pay increases.
Hard working loyal staff bypassed for outsiders with degrees
Pros
Cheap parking
Cons
No encouragement
I have worked for Torbay Council on and off for over 25 years and overall are good at providing correct salaries . At times, if ever I am re-employed by a school I am immediately charged emergency tax which is very annoying.
Pros
spine points are taken into consideration
Cons
emergency tax
Pressured working conditions. Target set workloads with production and performance analysis. Working with persons from across a broad spectrum of the general public. Need to be able to deal with conflict resolution regulary face to face or over the phone.
Pros
free parking permit
Cons
target lead workloads
I am given a task and am left to my own skills to ensure the job is done to the required standards which suits myself and the company.
great working conditions, lovely people, great pay. No hot desk policy and free car parking, A great holiday allowances with bank holidays and time in lieu
A typical day, logging cars, use of time management, talking to customers, issuing pcns
Pros
what ever you make of it
Cons
can be stressful