Toolstation Employee Reviews

Horrible do not work
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex19 March 2019
This company is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for worked there a year ON PROBABTION for them to just end my contract for no reason. management is a joke and not even fit for the job.
Its a joke of a company underpaid and of something goes wrong the manger blames everyone but there self. DO NOT WORK HERE
Pros
non
Cons
long hours - 12 hour shifts, The management dont recanice any good workers, take all the credit without sharing it
Great start at new store in Coventry
Customer Service Advisor - Key holder (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands18 March 2019
Previous worked for B&Q and now I'm part of Toolstation. Been working for 2 weeks and I really enjoying here, it small team but everyone there for you to give extra hand. Manager is really lovely and fair which is nice to see, it really hard to get that kind of people now a days. Even regional managers are really lovely and you can see they appreciate others hard work and can be rewarded (in our case it was good time with tasty pizza) :)
The working hours I would say are good, if course no one like to wake up early and be at work 6.45am but work is work and every company is like that if the store opens at 7am. My best part is that the store only opens till 7pm which is great, I feel I have more time to spend with my partner etc.. The pay might be slightly low but it better than nothing,but you can improve your wage by showing the right attitude! I would recommend it.
Pros
Big range of staff discount, great workplace, free tea/coffee, quick chance of being promoted
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Bamber Bridge, Lancashire12 March 2019
Having been with Toolstation for 5 months now I am so impressed in the vision and drive the company has, they are really working hard on listening to what the staff have to say, the development programs for sales assistant up are fantastic and the opportunity to progress in the company is limitless. I left Screwfix to come to Toolstation and so far It has been the best decision I made.
Pros
Great team, varied work day, staff discount, chance of progression.
Not worth it!
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saltash11 March 2019
Save your time and effort! Very hard work long hours and often forced into working longer hours! Was bullied by management into doing a 12 and a half hour shift even though they know I struggled on shorter shifts, was told no one else can do it and I needed to do it as a favor as had been late previously. Then fired me the next day. NO CONSIDERATION by management! (30seconds late and had to do late to work form) same for 1min and 2min!
Pros
customers are mostly nice
Cons
minimum wage while they have the money to open 8 new stors a month and pretty much EVERYTHING
Don’t work for this company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ayr, South Ayrshire3 March 2019
Bad management. As a female worker I applied for promotion but was told I wouldn’t get promoted as they wanted a younger male.( someone I trained up) When reported this, the old boys club came out and they stuck together. The top management don’t listen neither do headoffice. Disgraceful behaviour. The male supervisor got off with verbally abusing and trying to intimidate the female staff. They are all bullies. People too scared to speak out incase they were the next target Karma!!!!
No paid breaks and expected to work 12hr shifts of pure hard manual work lifting really heavy trays and deliveries. While the manager sat on his bum all day
Pros
Cons
Bullies, lazy managers and all boys club at headoffice
Poor management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abingdon26 February 2019
Poor standard of management, enjoyment of the job greatly depends on who your coworkers are. Customers are generally very nice and understanding. Not much opportunity for advancement.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Devon21 February 2019
Was a great laugh, people were amazing, customers are great for the most part too. You get the odd idiot throw a screw at you or bring in a bulb and say “I need one of these in this exact size” like you’re an expert electrician/plumber/painter and decorator all rolled in to one. Pay isn’t amazing but it is retail at the end now of the day. You’ll do lots of walking and pick up useful knowledge on the job.
Pros
Good laugh, get evenings at home
Cons
Working 9 hours getting an hour unpaid lunch.. working 45 weeks getting paid for 40 added up
I worked as a “Store assistant” for 2 years
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood21 February 2019
I devoted my time around very important studies (GCSE’s) to help this company. Forced to take on other responsibilities from higher members of staff and yet no increse in pay or title. Through my two years i met 5 managers all whom had different (appauling) ideas on how to run the store. The regional managers did not seem to care as i was hardly ever spoken to by them. I also went through 3 regional managers so not just our store was appauling. Overall, management sits back and does nothing while the “lower” people or the actual backbone of the company do all the work.
Pros
Talking to customers
Cons
Everything. From long hours to ugly uniform.
A Productive and hands on role
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire10 February 2019
Nice flexible hours, but employee rota will often be changed - recently due to staffing issues - and have overtime issued having already planned my social life around the original rota, but not aware of this until regularly checking - whereas the employee contract states that you should be delivered reasonable notice about any rota changes. A good and productive role I have found to get to grips with what kinds of tools and materials are used for what kind of departments, and great to be able to talk to customers who come in with queries, decent pay and a team you can have a laugh with and be able to talk to comfortably.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Long Days
Probation like a sword hanging over your neck
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leigh7 February 2019
Day to day the job is fun and I enjoyed the customer interraction. The downside is that I have never worked for a company that use probation and the fact that its employees have no rights within the first 2 years as a weapon. Senior management need to look into this as a priority as it puts undue pressure on its employees and is not conducive to success.
Pros
some really good people
Cons
the implied threat of termination for any reason
busy
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Didcot6 February 2019
if you missed the 4 weeks training like if you become ill for a week an miss a week they dont bother to carry your training on an any mistakes because of that its apparently all your fault, you wouldnt want to talk to the manger about something as they never seemed the person you could turn to about something ie it being work related or asking for a day off.

but i learnt how to be a decent key holder
the hardesnt part was when it got busy and not having enough staff in and when there was over 4 staff in there was only 4 tills to use so wasnt really helpfull in both ways
Pros
got dominos from the area manager if your store was doing really really good
Cons
Your rewarded highly with hard work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire5 February 2019
Since joining the company I have gone from a 10 hour SA to a 40 hour supervisor role developing to become a store manager through our internal development course.

There are a range of benefits in terms of working for toolstation, for example divisional directors, retail directors and most of the regional managers I have spoken/work with really take the time to ask you questions about how do you feel about working here? Do you want to develop within Toolstation?
They care about your opinions and act on them.

Since the new retail director has taken over, Toolstation feels like a completely different business and its expansion is fantastic although sometimes unbelievable when you look at the statistics of how many stores can open each week.

Looking at some of the reviews on here, I can understand the views of these from covering stores when under staffed but I always feel these are over looked as most people look at the negative side instead of the positive.

Toolstation is a great place to work and the rewards can be fantastic and I feel we can only get better

GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Pros
rewards systerms, development, higher management
Cons
Shift pattern
Professional, friendly and fun employer
Store Opening Manager (Current Employee) –  Field Based5 February 2019
I have been with the business now for a few years and I have seen a lot of change over my time. The business is constantly growing and with that, newcomers are joining thick and fast. If you have the right attitude and can set the correct behaviours whilst still remembering to have fun and look after your people. This is the right place for you. Our people are the most important asset in our business.
Pros
Great support network, great benefits and the higher management actually have the ability to listen and change if necessary
Cons
None if you have the right attitude and skills going into the job
Not just a bunch of Tools!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 February 2019
Fantastic opportunities to progress.
The company has grown a lot in the last 18 months, there is training courses internal and external - all you need to do is show a bit of willingness and capability!
Pros
Equal pay, benefits, new bonus scheme!
Cons
Warehouse areas are cold even in summer
Fun with customers
service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey5 February 2019
No work home life balance senior management needs work as not very good with training workload too much at times especially when short staffed constant call outs for alarm
Pros
Good rates of pay
Cons
No home life really
Avoid
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire3 February 2019
Management is poor, no cctv or security in the store so it's open for false accusations. In the dark ages regarding procedures, nothing to remove human error so lots of mistakes are made. Very cliquey, if you aren't part of the gang you are made to feel like an outsider and blamed for everything. Management have favourites and let them get away with anything. No choice of holidays as there is not enough staff in stores. God forbid you are ill as you get threatened with disciplinary. My son needed to go to hospital once and was shouted at by the manager because I had to take him and couldn't come in. No sympathy. Don't work here if you have kids. Poor pay that doesn't reflect the amount of work you do. No choice of shifts as too little staff in stores. Can't leave the store on your break as only 2 of you on shift most days. Terrible place to work. Avoid even if you're desperate.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
I think my review says it all...
Hellstation.....please stay away
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex25 January 2019
This place is the worst place on earth.

The main people in charge are bullys and just tell you what you want to hear.
Every single store runs with minimal staff and you are made to work all day with no breaks.

There is no CCTV and you hear horror story's of staff taking stock all over the region.
The Pay is a joke, and they brain wash you with "great place to work" clearly reading indeed and glassdoor reviews, show otherwise.

The warehouse is so cold that you can't even feel your fingers, and the head office will never ever authorise heating due to the cost.

God forbid you take a free drink from the vending machine, because they are for customers only...."great place to work" yeah right.

The DD's walk around like they are the kings and demand you make coffees for them.

The whole place has fallen apart since Craig Higgins left.

It's a sad sad time for the company.

STAY AWAY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Slaves get better treatment then you would in this company.

When they change the catalogue, you are made to stay after for free.

People don't leave bad company's they leave bad leaders.

Check the replys from "the RD" they are copy and paste.
It's all to trick you into believing the lies

I once heard my manager say the RM's and DD's call the people in stores thick and would be great in "The walking dead" because they have brains of a zombie.

People......Don't do it .....it would be better to sell your soul to the dev. Because they are worse.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
The senior management, the pay, The cold weather, The minimum staffing levels and just about everything you can think of
Worst company i've worked for in 24 years of working
Keyholder/CSR (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford/harlow24 January 2019
I could not say 'run' fast enough, i worked over 18 months for this company in 2 different stores ...NO STRUCTURE at all, manager's running stores with no experience, man management skills whatsoever....HUGE bullying, victimisation/targeting of employees who are not part of the team 'clique' within and outside of stores, team members who sign sheets with your name too cover themselves, massive theft problems with no stores having any cctv inside stores or warehouse so everybody is constantly targeted or accused when items are found missing or money down etc, management who basically will tell you one thing and either do something else or nothing at all, no company support from regional managers either.......managers who will write rotas or put you on shifts too cover WITHOUT asking you if you can do an 9/10 not even telling you and expecting you too look......absolute joke of a company too work for!!
Pros
You get paid
Cons
No structure or support, bullying culture, very bad management in stores
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom20 January 2019
A typical day working at Toolstation involved dealing with customers, doing stock checks and dealing with delivery on delivery days. I have learned how to deal with different types of customers and how to communicate with and assist different customers. The management team are very helpful at Toolstation. The culture at Toolstation is calm and enjoyable.
Cons
Operating times
Toolstation parkhead
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Parkhead16 January 2019
My worst retail experience ever,stay away at all costs,don’t ever give up your own job to work here as you will regret it big time.every day was depressing,I’ve never worked with such a bunch of deflated and unmotivated people
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
If I really had to list them I would be here all night

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toolstation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6