Toolstation Employee Reviews

Awful
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Surrey31 May 2018
I currently work for Toolstation and can honestly say that it’s one of the worst jobs I’ve taken on.

The staff are lazy and will only do the bare minimum they have to, unless a Regional Manager is visiting.
I constantly find myself cleaning up after other staff members and correcting their mistakes. And also taking on tasks that should have been completed by the management team.

None of them seem to know what customer service is as they are consistently rude to customers, often calling them terrible names before they even enter the store.
They are never willing to help our customers as they feel it is not their job to do so.
I have heard my manager tell a customer that if they cannot find an item in the catalogue, that we simply don’t sell it.. I found that item online a few minutes later and in stock.
I am often penilised for spending time with customers and being friendly, leading to management standing behind me and telling me to hurry up eventhough there are no other customers in store, or any tasks that need completing.

Our shifts work on a rota basis, making it fair for all staff members. This is not the case.
I Joined on a full time, flexible shift basis, and this is simply not what happens.
Every week, I am put on every single late shift (finishing at 8:15pm) 5 days a week. This always includes a Saturday too, meaning the rest of the management team can always ensure they have the whole weekend off.
This means that in the two years I have been working there, my social life is now virtually non-existent. I rarely see my friends or family and
  more... always have to cancel plans because I have to work. If I need the weekend off, I have to use up my holiday because they will not use one of my RDO’s. I am also forced to use up my holiday at random times instead of when I actually need it.

Don’t even get me started on the theft and disposal of stock just so there are no errors to be found during an audit!

The store I work in is desperate for staff at the moment, after losing two staff members in the last few weeks, but I will never suggest working there to anyone I know.

Don’t do it!!
Pros
The pay isn’t awful.
Cons
Everything else.
Depressing.
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset29 May 2018
The atmosphere at Toolstation is absolutely miserable. Supervisors are extremely rude and have no interpersonal skills what so ever, nor do they have the qualifications to supervise in a warehouse. Appreciation for any good work you have done is non existent, as are the words please and thank you. Toolstation lacks organisation and professionalism, and management and HR are unconcerned about any issues that they are faced with and treat them as a nuisance. If you'd rather not go home feeling stressed and worthless at the end of your working day, i highly recommend avoiding this place.
Pros
Free vending machine
Cons
Low pay, Rude staff
Good job if you need part time
Warehouse Oprative (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater19 May 2018
It's very good place to work if you need part time hours. You can do extra hours when you want. But the more expirient you are the more jobs you need to do and don't get any extra for that. Many companies pay more for same job.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay, poor training and no benefits
Ok
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge24 April 2018
Working at tool station was OK, the people were friendly an the hours were good, but i could barely afford to live on the pay. I thought working here part time while studying would be good to be able to run my car, but i would have to do extra long shifts to be able to afford the commute.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 April 2018
Toolstation is a great place to work it can be a little scary but once u get to know ur customers n products it’s great I love working here I have a fantastic team
Pros
Always have fun
Cons
Moody customers
Decent place to work part time
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury21 March 2018
part time hours can be according to your time table. Manager was brilliant- no complaints, friendly family like staff, positive work environment. Brilliant for someone looking for an easy job that pays ok.
Pros
family like staff, nice manager, not much workload
Cons
long hours and many hard work customers
Harlow store really lovely
CSR (Former Employee) –  Harlow19 March 2018
I worked there for a while staff really lovely and customers loved the job. Company expectations but silly and their requirements but apart from that and not everyone done their bit on helping out
Pros
Cons
Shift hours and pay
fun fast paced place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  pipps hill basildon7 March 2018
toolstation was a great place to work if you like the busyness and non stop working day. to work here you definitely need to know your nuts and bolts and hardware things to get by without problems but everyone there helped me when i needed it. management no problems at all just have a basic knowledge og tools and hardware stuff.
Pros
great atmosphere to work
Cons
no cons
customers are nice but can be lackluster
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London6 March 2018
overall, I have a good experience at tool station although at times things can get out of control i.e. some people forget that they are indeed at work and treat it as their homes. Here you can value your workmates you will spend more time with your work colleagues than your actual family so you get a real family bond with your workmates. it's a good starting job as it is quite laid back in here. but I will say You will be underpaid for the work you do especially if you progress up the ranks.
Pros
fun at times
Cons
under paid
Tool Station
BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Tamworth4 March 2018
Great opportunity for development with the RDP in place. Salary is not in line with job requirements. Massive difference between regional managers instructions, development, and care not always consistent.
Pros
Great customers, You set the environment in store
Cons
Low wage, bad work life balance
Social welcoming and good team
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 March 2018
A good team to work with, as well and a well kept clean workspace. Flexible around my voluntary work and generally very helpful. Have a good pension scheme and lots of yearly rewards.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not always time for a lunch break, due to being busy
Hard work with funtimes
CSR (Former Employee) –  West Midlands1 March 2018
Hard work, constantly on feet walking around warehouse. Easily 10,000 steps per shift!
Management very strictl over procedures., some seem very childish, even managers would say so but because head office say so then it must be done!
Pros
Discount at wickes, travis perkins.
Cons
If busy, no breaks. If on a break, expected to drop everything if busy. But managers would take their breaks
Worse Company Ever
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Luton27 February 2018
Most jobs you can lost the pros and cons but this job is just full of cons. Your never ever progress. I was a supervisor and was left on my own most of the times. If they dislike you they will try and fire you how ever is possible. You get 30 min paid break in a 9/12 hour shift. Pay is ridiculous for what you are required to do. Management have no idea what they are doing. Only good thing is the team around you and customers.
Pros
Cons
List of things.
Decent job
Customer service Representative (Current Employee) –  Longwell Green23 February 2018
Decent job with above minimum wage (if below 21) probably not something long-term however. My management is good and the work life balance is good, Days i work are long however being on a part time contract this allows for more days off.
Okay work place
Fork Lift Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire12 February 2018
Was a reasonable jib an well payed but they got me in on a contract as a reach truck driver and out me on a were house operatives job witch was not what I was looking too do at the time
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Unorganized
extremely challenging
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 January 2018
14 hour days
constantly understaffed
little or no training
basic it
too much repetitive paperwork
demands sales above aop yet with minimal staff and constant poor moral
Okay place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Hounslow11 January 2018
I didn't learn anything new. The management were really bad our store was one of the worst. The cashiers knew more about the shop than the managers did.
Pros
Money
Cons
The people
bad
employee (Former Employee) –  Redditch5 January 2018
the hours did not suit anyones time frame, the only advanatge is some of the people you worked with were bareable to talk too, it was long hours with little breaks.
Shocking
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset29 December 2017
Worst place ever to work at, the whole time I was there I have been treated shocking, been accused of theft and they have done investigations behind my back and so have my colleagues, disgusted In how they treat people, they accuse you of theft and they don’t treat you well at all
Constantly run at bare minimum
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth27 December 2017
Part time but you might as well be full time as they change your days and hours as they feel like. Never sure who was in charge, too many cooks come to mind. Do not recommend at all.
Pros
Cons
Constant shift changes