Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom438 reviews
Good place to work, I really enjoyed working here but management are a joke, I applied for 30 hours pw which ended up over 46 hours pw and always had to work all weekend.. Not good if you have a family
Pros
Free food and 30% off
Cons
Many people get away with too much, management not always great, kitchen staff always stick together.

Overall good company to work for, salary is good, anything you need they will be there for you.
Pros
good team, salary, work joys
In this role I had for 3 months, I had to take part in around 20 hours of online training in health and safety, of which none of was being complied with by senior workers in the restaurant. I was spoken to rudely, not paid fairly, mistreated and expected to know things without being taught. It was a good job with good money, but purely because of the friends I made and the effort I put in.
Pros
Tips, friends, food
Cons
owners, hours, pay, rubbish customers
i fully enjoy this job as it means i meet all kinds of people, have a chat whilst working, entails many challenges.
a chance to improve as in move up the ladder.
I carnt recommend you work here it's just a slave factory in fancy dress if u make a complaint your out of the door easy as that. The management treat you like much on there shoe and like to backstab u all the time.
Working at the Toby was one the best experiences and it was also my first job. I’m very grateful to have been around great people and also guests too!
I did not enjoy working for toby carvery however I worked there over 5 years ago so I am sure the work culture has changed dramatically, It may well be a great workplace now
Relaxed atmosphere . Good to work with customers. Flexible shifts and days off. Holidays granted as and when. Easy to pick up extra shifts. Good discounts.
Awful place to work. Run by kids who don’t know their bums from their elbows! Filthy kitchen, rats running around. tips are rubbish. You get spoken to like a fool and get made to run around for hours on end while others stand at the bar gossiping.

Very clicky and uncomfortable workplace. Would not recommend
I think that working at Toby Carvery (at least for me) was very hard, it was work in the kitchen where it is very hot and you have to do your work-related activities very quickly. But I met very nice people and I'm generally happy.
a typical day would start at 9am and not finish till after 11 pm with a two hour break inbetween. If you didnt live close you would have to stay onsite the whole day.
Staff friendly, managment poor, customers complain at slightest thing, all in all I would say it's like slave labour, the only things that keep you going is the staff. New manager every couple of months and barley get to see the area manager! Just a stressful job in general
Management is poor and the team is ok on certain days. I would not recommend working here as it is long hours and repetitive it the tasks that you are given
A fun fast paced workplace where the teamwork is hand in hand with the Front of house. Everybody gets along within the business and everybody helps each other strive to success.
The job can get pretty busy on a weekend but other than that they are fully flexible with hours. The staff you work alongside with is what makes the place fun.
While at toby i had a lot of on the job training
It is a fast pace and stress full but enjoyed everyday we had a good team and a good manager

Would recomend people to the compony
I loved working here, the toby team are amazing. management was good when I was there. I still keep in touch with several of the employees who have been there for years and years. Nice atmosphere.
Was great has a short time job. I got great tips and got meal depending on my shifts. Would work up to 12 hours, breakfast shifts used to be boring. When wearing the aprons when waiting hurt my neck.
A typical day may include making customers drinks on your section, checking on their food, relaying/cleaning tables and fetching puddings. I've learnt to balance pressures of time and order jobs into what is most important and urgent in a busy period. The management although improving each day has been inconsistent in the past; but I do appreciate the stress of the jobs they do as it is unbelievable. However; this large workload they do can often cause them extra stress that may impact the team. The workplace is friendly once you get to know the waiters/kitchen team and this does work as a supporting unit. The hardest part of the job would be balancing guests, cleaning and getting food as to not fall behind in your section so much you need help. The most enjoyable part is closing the business on a night and being able to have fun with your work mates.
I worked for toby carvery back from April 2015 till June 2018.
I worked with a few good team members but the management was poor.

Favouritism was the managements downfall.
A company obsessed with cutting staff hours to increase profit margins which results in under trained over worked staff. Some managers are very lazy and extremely unhelpful with unrealistic workloads with insufficient staff numbers which unfortunately creates a very unhealthy work/life balance.