Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

Quick Pace Job
FRONT OF HOUSE TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex1 May 2018
I was a waitress and my duties included taking orders, delivering food to the table and taking payments. I had to interact with customers and build relationships to ensure customers would visit the restaurant again. The management were visible and i could ask for assistance if needed. I enjoyed the front of house duties of this role for example greeting customers at the door and chatting when at the tables.
good place
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire24 April 2018
long working hours however rewarding, lots of time spent here on bank holidays , goodstaff and nice food , the people that come into the restaurant are usually nice.
Fun workplace, with lots of experience
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 April 2018
I absolutely loved working here. The staff were all friendly and welcoming and the customers were generally lovely. You did work long hours and we’re oretty much none stop, but that’s part and parcel. The customers were mostly friendly and the staff was very helpful. I was trained for my first few days but as I’m a fast learner, I picked everything up fairly quickly. I dealt with complaints and managed the bar.
Pros
Free food, experience, friendly, salary
Cons
Long hours, non sociable
fun
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 March 2018
I didn't work here long, was just to fill a void until I found a better job. worked behind a bar, serving and greeting customers, filling the bar etc.
Terrible.
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Ravenswood19 March 2018
Working for Toby Carvery in Ravenswood was the worst job I have ever had.
The management is horrific & so unprofessional
the Kitchen staff are always in a terrible mood & will be aggressive towards you.
The team “team” are a bunch of gossiping children with no personalities.
The rota is usually given 24 hours before a shift.
The pay is terrible at around 7.05 an hour & no free food is given.
Good luck if you apply, you’ll need it
fun workplace
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Basildon8 March 2018
working at Toby carvery is really fun to be honest you can meet great people guest wise and make friends with the other employees with is good, every one of the employees are helpful and the managers there couldn't be more helpful
Not a great place
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire2 March 2018
As a former head chef with TC i can say the work culture, staff professionalism and management support is close to zero. As a result TC in aldershot was shut down.
Pros
Salary on time
Cons
Everything else.
very fun place to work always started and ended with a smile
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Old Windsor27 February 2018
My role in as a kitchen assistant involved pot washing, making the desserts and the starters, preparing the veg, cooking the veg and the meat, cleaning the kitchen as i went through out the day plus the main big clean at the end of every day. I learnt how to run a kitchen, learnt knife skills and also learnt more about time keeping using my time to always make sure the kitchen was clean and that dishes where made.
Pros
great atmosphere, great experience
Cons
late finishes and long shifts
In it together
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside22 February 2018
Grest place to work
Lots of benefits of working for the company
Training ,progression ,discounts,pensions
Flexible working hours depending on your lifestyle
Pros
Discount, pension
Cons
Unsociable hours
Productive work place
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Morley20 February 2018
Working at Toby carvery helped me with my confidence in meeting new people and helped me with my interacting skills. Made me more confident then I was by talking to serval customers a day building up my talking skills.
Productive but unfair workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterside12 February 2018
Had a good understanding of spreading people's working hours so they were able to still live their daily lives but a very biased attitude to some members of staff
good workplace
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh5 February 2018
my only downfall i have to say about is job is the unreliability of hours. sometime you can get a lot and others your only left with 9 hours a week. however is a fun place to work. you also get to keep all the tips you make.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unreliable hours
Busy busy. Love it there
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne28 January 2018
My time spent there was unique. i enjoyed every minute. at times can be stressful and demanding during peak hours. But overall i really enjoyed my work and first hand experience with customers from all over the country. I was able to complete tasks with out struggling for equipment.
Pros
Free lunches, Finish early close early free pint :)
Cons
Long hours but good pay
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Caerphilly28 January 2018
Toby Carvery and the Mitchel & Butler company have been a great company to work for. The only reason i am looking to leave is my 20hr contract is impacting my ability to purchase a house.
go
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire19 January 2018
Great place to work with a friendly and happy working environment, Long hours but the pay is more then suitable and justify the long days at work. Great company
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Old Windsor16 January 2018
awful hours 10 hours no breaks, rude management really not a fun place to work, was a part time job but working nearly 30 hour weeks on top of being in full time education.
Pros
discounts
hard but fun
ASSISTANT/DEPUTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Windsor and Maidenhead, Berkshire15 January 2018
Being the home of the roast you always want everything to be Just As It Should Be and in our carvery it always was. If you have a passion for a roast then its a great place to work.
Its unfortunate
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley14 January 2018
I loved working for Toby Carvery. However whilst I may have met some brilliant people, made amazing connections and friends, received great satisfaction from my job there is a great fault. It falls under M&B, whilst head office tries to improve standards for its teams across the country it fails greatly with their ability to hire decent Assistants, Managers, and especially General Managers. It would not be wise to add further detail. However in my prior position I had the opportunity to work at nearly a dozen sites, therefore my insight is vast.
Pros
friendship
Cons
Bosses
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester12 January 2018
Pizza Hut was the start of my management career , this was my stepping stone to my future. Helped me mound the person I am today. Learn from it Become the great manager I am.
Company operating illegally
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 January 2018
I can't understand how they're getting away with illegally giving staff 12+ hour shifts without any breaks, or any hour shift without a break it is ILLEGAL for any job but one that is draining physically and mentally and involves the whole shift on your feet, lifting and carrying heavy items, is EVEN worse. It is absolutely disgusting. I've never worked somewhere so badly run and with such little HUMANE care and treatment of their staff who are the ones making them all the money.
Pros
Cons
Illegal