Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

Do not apply
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex30 July 2018
This is the worst job I've had.
It has been physically and mentally draining.
After I finish my shift I go home and then have to sleep for 14 hours just to recouperate. Every single shift without fail, I've vomited at least 3 times due to the complete lack of hygiene from customers and the state they leave the place in.
Even though it's only 2 hours a day, it isn't enough.
You won't actually work for the carvery, you're a subcontractor for AOK cleaners. You don't get any of the benefits listed in the description and you'll get treated like dirt, and Ike a child if you don't get everything done in the allotted 2 hour time slot, which isn't enough time if you were able to see the state of the restaurant.
If you read the reviews I highly recommend you find a different job.
Pros
The only Pro is 50% off one breakfast, and only if you choose to work mornings.
Cons
Completely disgusting management, honestly everything about the job is horrible.
Totally appalling
Kitchen Assistant/Cook (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria7 September 2018
I was very excited at the prospect of having a full time job.
Typical day - My main duties were in the back of house in the kitchen area, washing up, and helping the chef. The work was full on, very busy indeed.

There wasn’t time to learn anything new, I had worked in a kitchen environment before, so had some experience, they seemed to let me get on with washing up etc.

Management seemed ok, and praised me for the work I was doing on two different occasions, they seemed pleased with my work, which made me feel good about the job, albeit very tiring because of the long hours.

Breaks, if you manage to get one are not organised at all, employees struggling to get a full break, if at all.

The hardest part of the job were the hours, which is why, at the end of the first week, I asked the manager if my hours per day could be reduced, I was told that maybe a part time job would suit me and they let me go.
I know I would have enjoyed the job had it been 8-9 hours a day with structured break times. Would that not have been full time?
I feel let down and disappointed that at 18 years of age I was expected to work from 10a.m to end of business, which was 11.30p.m.
Apart from anything else, I did mention that I thought that was illegal, only to be told that, it’s a split shift, as I get an hour break inbetween! Isn’t that a dinner hour!? I’d call it slave labour.
Am I bitter? Of course I am.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Expecting you to work 12 hour shifts
typical carvery
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gerrards Cross27 October 2018
the toby carvery was a fun place to work at times and would always be very busy so there was always something to do.
there was very long hours the only negative i would give is the salary isn't equal and tips was not shared out correctly
Pros
free food
Enjoyable but challenging
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 December 2018
I enjoyed my time working with Toby, I met some great people that not only helped my career progress but have also became good friends. The opportunities to progress are good and the discounts are good.

Downsides, there is very little work life balance, I was lucky to see my partner more than 3 days a week. The pay for AM is also quite poor considering the enormous workload placed on them.

I would recommend Toby to someone starting out their work career or looking to move into a different field, but it is not for everyone!
Pros
Discount, friemdly co-workers
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, very high demands
horrible
Temp Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland3 September 2018
unacceptable customer service too staff.
no warning too take off acrylic nails.
no structure too duties.
no praise or care too staff also.
rude and uncaring.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
Fun workplace, with lots of experience
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 April 2018
I absolutely loved working here. The staff were all friendly and welcoming and the customers were generally lovely. You did work long hours and we’re oretty much none stop, but that’s part and parcel. The customers were mostly friendly and the staff was very helpful. I was trained for my first few days but as I’m a fast learner, I picked everything up fairly quickly. I dealt with complaints and managed the bar.
Pros
Free food, experience, friendly, salary
Cons
Long hours, non sociable
Good
Runner (Former Employee) –  Streetly18 May 2018
Good place to work for, busy and difficult at times, good benefits like 33% off M&Bs resturants and bars, free meals on shift, good plave to gain skills
never a dull moment
Waitress and Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Oldham6 December 2018
every day is different, some good, some bad,all training is given to you, then it is up to you if you use it,management are hit and miss, some days ok, some not,made good friendships here.The hardest part of the job is having enough staff to cope with demand, if there isnt you end up running around like a headless chicken. Most enjoyable part is seeing regular customers and getting to know them.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
being called in with 5 mins notice
reasonable job
Bartender/waitress (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester12 August 2018
There's never a typical day at Toby. There's always something different going on, only thing that's consistent is customer service. i learnt how to better myself and to learn different roles than just my job description, though you never get credited for it. the staff are fun and amazing to work with. the hardest part is the long hours and the fact that it was under staffed most times. the most enjoyable part was the customers, its always a pleasure meeting new people.
Pros
staff discount
Not a great place
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire2 March 2018
As a former head chef with TC i can say the work culture, staff professionalism and management support is close to zero. As a result TC in aldershot was shut down.
Pros
Salary on time
Cons
Everything else.
Fun to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Northampton11 October 2018
Absolutely loved working at the Toby, the people are fun to work with and the chiefs are easy to talk to. You defiantly make friends and there is always a good laugh.
Pros
you make friends
Cons
long hours, you dont get breaks and some managers don't help you or are lazy
Poor compared to competition
Shift Manager assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Hoole, Cheshire2 December 2018
Worked in 3, every one was in disrepair and had a culture of negativity
It was perfectly fine for some staff to slice and not turn up while others had the book thrown at them.
Pros
Easy going as if it weren't u would leave
Cons
Poor culture acceptance of negativity
Wouldn’t even bother!
Foh (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
Awful place to work for!!
Management were only there on the quiet days!! The general manager never does any closes, and spends most of the time upstairs. They talk about members of staff openly which I think is awful management. Loads of staff have left which says it all.
The only good point is the 33% off when dining with friends, and some of the staff were very friendly!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management needs sorting!
In it together
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside22 February 2018
Grest place to work
Lots of benefits of working for the company
Training ,progression ,discounts,pensions
Flexible working hours depending on your lifestyle
Pros
Discount, pension
Cons
Unsociable hours
Bad place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester4 January 2019
I hated working at Toby carvery as the pay is terrible also the hours are ridiculous. Management was terrible although I do thing it has changed over to different people.
Pros
Cons
Pay, hours, list goes on
Not worth it for the money
Chef (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire19 December 2018
Money is awful for what you do
lack of team
expected to do two people's jobs
Management need to have a rethink.

Team are absolutely AMAZING! They become family.
Pros
Close Team/Family
Cons
GM upwards are Bell ends.
Very fun and hard work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire7 August 2018
I like this job as it's all round good fun and seeing people smile after they leave the restaurant is a very happy feeling and would recommend any cook or chef starting off to start there.
Pros
Free lunch great staff and enjoyable job
fun place
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 October 2018
working at the toby was a fun experience the duties were simple and most common got on well with the staff they spoke respectfully.

my dislikes however was getting to work every morning as there was no buses at that time in morning and would have to pay £11.00 daily for taxis
Pros
free breakfast 2 days a week
Cons
hard to get work in mornings as no transport
Atrocious
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire6 January 2019
If you want a life outside of work, this isn’t the job for you. You will be made to work all the hours under the sun and working split shifts is soul destroying.

Your colleagues aren’t much help either, and are constantly rude to you, especially on Sundays when everyone is rushing around like headless chickens.

The only good thing about it is the regulars you serve, as the conversation can be interesting. This isn’t a compliment to Toby Carvery, rather the people that made me forget I absolutely hated the job.. even if it was only a few minutes at a time.

Managers are rude too and seem incapable of saying hello when you start your shift. I nearly slipped many times being told to work faster, as there was a permanently slippy floor where the entrance was to the kitchen. The breaks were absolutely horrendous too. If on the rare occasion, you find yourself working 9-5, you get a 20 minute break at 10am, to eat the breakfast which is disgusting anyway, and then you have to fight to get 10 more minutes some time later in the shift. They are biased to smokers and allow them to get their ‘cig breaks’ whenever they see fit.

They try and justify it by saying if you’re on a double shift you get a whole hour break. Even then you have to clock out, so it’s not payed. Also If you’re shift says 5pm to 11pm, expect to get out many times past midnight, especially on a Friday.

If you want to feel like a number then by all means fill your boots, but if you want a better job, I would say avoid the restaurant industry altogether and find something where you can work normal
  more... hours, as in 9-5 and be treated like a human being and valued for your hard work. I’m being generous awarding 1 star. For your sanity, avoid at all costs.  less
Pros
Cons
Long hours, No life outside of work, rude colleagues, unfair breaks, split shifts, unsafe working conditions
Fun and hard working environment.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire25 September 2017
It was a very busy place to work at which required you to remain vigilant at all times during the day but it was very enjoyable and a fun place to be. There was always a great atmosphere in the kitchen but the management at the time didn't pay much attention to the kitchen staff.
Pros
Free lunches and friendly environment.
Cons
Long hours and little benefits.