Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

fun place
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 October 2018
working at the toby was a fun experience the duties were simple and most common got on well with the staff they spoke respectfully.

my dislikes however was getting to work every morning as there was no buses at that time in morning and would have to pay £11.00 daily for taxis
Pros
free breakfast 2 days a week
Cons
hard to get work in mornings as no transport
good if you dont want to progression
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex4 October 2018
was fun and really good working there for the most part but progression is only based on if you're chummy with the higher ups rather than quality of work
Totally appalling
Kitchen Assistant/Cook (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria7 September 2018
I was very excited at the prospect of having a full time job.
Typical day - My main duties were in the back of house in the kitchen area, washing up, and helping the chef. The work was full on, very busy indeed.

There wasn’t time to learn anything new, I had worked in a kitchen environment before, so had some experience, they seemed to let me get on with washing up etc.

Management seemed ok, and praised me for the work I was doing on two different occasions, they seemed pleased with my work, which made me feel good about the job, albeit very tiring because of the long hours.

Breaks, if you manage to get one are not organised at all, employees struggling to get a full break, if at all.

The hardest part of the job were the hours, which is why, at the end of the first week, I asked the manager if my hours per day could be reduced, I was told that maybe a part time job would suit me and they let me go.
I know I would have enjoyed the job had it been 8-9 hours a day with structured break times. Would that not have been full time?
I feel let down and disappointed that at 18 years of age I was expected to work from 10a.m to end of business, which was 11.30p.m.
Apart from anything else, I did mention that I thought that was illegal, only to be told that, it’s a split shift, as I get an hour break inbetween! Isn’t that a dinner hour!? I’d call it slave labour.
Am I bitter? Of course I am.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Expecting you to work 12 hour shifts
horrible
Temp Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland3 September 2018
unacceptable customer service too staff.
no warning too take off acrylic nails.
no structure too duties.
no praise or care too staff also.
rude and uncaring.
Pros
free dinners
Hard work
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Northbourne28 August 2018
Throughout the two years of working I have managed to adapt to the hard work that goes into working at Toby Carvery. Requires lots of hard work when busy
Pros
Free food, keep tips
Cons
hard work when busy, stressful
Wouldn’t even bother!
Foh (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire21 August 2018
Awful place to work for!!
Management were only there on the quiet days!! The general manager never does any closes, and spends most of the time upstairs. They talk about members of staff openly which I think is awful management. Loads of staff have left which says it all.
The only good point is the 33% off when dining with friends, and some of the staff were very friendly!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management needs sorting!
reasonable job
Bartender/waitress (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester12 August 2018
There's never a typical day at Toby. There's always something different going on, only thing that's consistent is customer service. i learnt how to better myself and to learn different roles than just my job description, though you never get credited for it. the staff are fun and amazing to work with. the hardest part is the long hours and the fact that it was under staffed most times. the most enjoyable part was the customers, its always a pleasure meeting new people.
Pros
staff discount
Very fun and hard work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire7 August 2018
I like this job as it's all round good fun and seeing people smile after they leave the restaurant is a very happy feeling and would recommend any cook or chef starting off to start there.
Pros
Free lunch great staff and enjoyable job
Do not apply
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex30 July 2018
This is the worst job I've had.
It has been physically and mentally draining.
After I finish my shift I go home and then have to sleep for 14 hours just to recouperate. Every single shift without fail, I've vomited at least 3 times due to the complete lack of hygiene from customers and the state they leave the place in.
Even though it's only 2 hours a day, it isn't enough.
You won't actually work for the carvery, you're a subcontractor for AOK cleaners. You don't get any of the benefits listed in the description and you'll get treated like dirt, and Ike a child if you don't get everything done in the allotted 2 hour time slot, which isn't enough time if you were able to see the state of the restaurant.
If you read the reviews I highly recommend you find a different job.
Pros
The only Pro is 50% off one breakfast, and only if you choose to work mornings.
Cons
Completely disgusting management, honestly everything about the job is horrible.
Fun work place, welcoming team
Barista (Current Employee) –  Merseyside17 July 2018
I love working in the Toby Carvery. Food is delicious, very clean tidy restaurant and welcoming staff. I also love helping customers and putting a smile on there face by having a simple conversation about there Day.
Pros
33% discount
Okay
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dudley16 July 2018
We were often short staffed at very busy period so as a waitress I was taking on numerous roles. Other than that is was okay to work there and colleagues were friendly.
good place too learn
BOH SECOND CHEF/ BARMAN (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth19 June 2018
It's good place too learn and gain experience in all areas off the catering business, and also if you want it enough, they will progress you as well but you've got too earn it
Cook/Chef (Former Employee) –  Morley6 June 2018
Got made part of the family so to speak . Loved it working here. Brunntcliffe Ls27 . We had fun at work not too much tho. Had even more out of work to with the team. Everyone got to know each other very well which in return made us a better team.
Pros
lot of team days outs
Cons
long days (Sundays) .
Appaling
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear5 June 2018
Appaling to work with
i learned nothing as they never taught me
nothing was enjoyable
they were nothing but nasty
dont help you
talk rudley about customers
Pros
Half Price food
Cons
No one talked to you
Team
Front of house waitress (Current Employee) –  Brockworth4 June 2018
I enjoyed working at Toby Carvery, mainly because of team and the importance of working together to achieve sales and the highest quality of customer service.
Pros
great team (made many lasting friendships), tips, discounted food, flexible hours
Cons
They allowed flexible hours that fit very well with my studies
Awful workplace community.
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Lincoln3 June 2018
Management are more obsessed with arbitrary goals than the well being of staff, which is reflected in the poor customer service. Negative place to work as all staff were concerned with themselves, giving no time to train newer inexperienced members, yet berating them when they make mistakes, rather than working with them to improve.
Excellent company to work for
Bar Team Leader and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 May 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company, i felt like a valued member of the team. They always offered progression and the support alongside this.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, but I only left to study in a college out of town.
Good
Runner (Former Employee) –  Streetly18 May 2018
Good place to work for, busy and difficult at times, good benefits like 33% off M&Bs resturants and bars, free meals on shift, good plave to gain skills
Quick Pace Job
FRONT OF HOUSE TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex1 May 2018
I was a waitress and my duties included taking orders, delivering food to the table and taking payments. I had to interact with customers and build relationships to ensure customers would visit the restaurant again. The management were visible and i could ask for assistance if needed. I enjoyed the front of house duties of this role for example greeting customers at the door and chatting when at the tables.
good place
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire24 April 2018
long working hours however rewarding, lots of time spent here on bank holidays , goodstaff and nice food , the people that come into the restaurant are usually nice.