Thrifty Car and Van Rental Employee Reviews

Good Starter Job
Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire14 March 2018
A typical day at work would be sat on the phones arranging hire vehicles for various clients.
Work life is nice as you work with others starting employment and management is fair.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Little room for moving up.
Not good to work for
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon1 March 2018
Awful company to work for!! Exeter HO. boss was so sad! Thinks more about work than the well being of her colleagues. Ashamed into working through lunch hours and made to feel bad taking booked holiday if dept got busy, 2 colleagues stranded for 5 hours today as company ignored all warnings to send people home due to the snow?? Work prioritised over people.
Pros
Mon to Friday
Cons
Managers lack training in people management
Great Company to work for
SALES ADMIN SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon16 February 2018
Thrifty take care of all their staff preferring to hire from within to allow people to fit other roles before hiring externally

They have a pension scheme and loads of discounts with other companies

In my opinion they have too many departments and often work can cross over and cause confusion/frustration at times as to who is supposed to be doing what.
Pros
Decent pay, lots of benefits
Cons
Messy structure
Never work for sheffield branch
Drive (Former Employee) –  Sheffeild22 January 2018
Never work at Sheffield branch rude manager never appreciate what you do for company calls you names and has zero people skills , people you work with are great but while the manger is still there avoid working at branch
Pros
Cons
Too much work lil pay
Less than a Company should be in 2017
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon29 November 2017
Wow what a bad corporate company to work for, I learned a lot about how a coporate company should note be operatiing 2017. OK I leanred about bespoke computer systems and how to use that system but never had any comments from the management about how good or bad the company is performing and what difference the staff is making to the companies profits..

The office culture is absolutey negative in the transferance of good working relations with your fellow colleagues.

I for one found it it difficult to cope with the lack of direction for a company that does not communicate any information about how you are doing as a employee or how the company is doing in the market place. I can guess that the Directors are making good money but there is no way to judge this except to guess..
Pros
You get a lunch, maybe
Cons
Bad management, bad organisation, bad staff, bad company for 2018
Fast growing company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex22 November 2017
I've worked in car rental for over 20 years and this is by far the best company I've worked for.
You have more control over your working day, where I've found that previous car rental companies don't really care about their staff or customers and I would work all hours.
Pros
Great length of service awards, Working hours
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire21 November 2017
Thrifty really is a great place to work! I always feel comfortable at work and am confident I will always have the help and support I need. There are always chances to expand my skills and for progression if every I feel I want to.
Loved working at Thrifty
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge21 November 2017
My employment at Thrifty Car and Van Rental has not only been enjoyable, but I have also gained a lot of valuable skills and experience from my time as a CSR.

The staff in my Branch were great, and I also got to talk to staff in other departments (other branches, HR, Recruitment and my area manager) with no problems at all.

I left this job due to me moving location, however I would definitely look at re-applying with Thrifty if anything comes up near my new house.
Pros
People, Opportunities.
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Sussex18 November 2017
As a Branch Manager there are obviously good times and bad - a very varied workload needing a lot of different skills. Overall lots of support from senior managers, very much a family feel to the company - directors know all the managers and even staff in the stores. There is opportunity to progress, although a lot of people choose to stay a long time in their roles because of the benefits the company offer. Thrifty are expanding all the time - taking on new and profitable contracts and expanding their locations all the time. Best fleet in car rental makes selling the products really easy, and there isn't really a hard sell culture - very much customer focused approach. Some of the locations are a bit out dated and site issues make life difficult at times but the rest of the job makes up for that.
Pros
Good pay & benefits, great cars to drive, every day is different and engaging
Cons
Sometimes long hours, pressure from customers to deliver/collect on tight deadlines
A Proactive and Diverse Enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  East Anglia13 November 2017
If you want to challenge yourself working with Thrifty will give you the confidence and ability to excel in all levels of customer service with great progression opportunities.
No day is ever the same and you will gain a wide array of knowledge in Fleet management, Customer service, and Business Administration, Together with a diverse customer base, workforce and great quality of fleet it is an enjoyable place to work with a large number of employees having worked with Thrifty for a number of years, supporting job security and investment into it's employees by the Company with training and benefits.
Pros
Benefits, Training, and security
Cons
Weekend work & Long hours
focused and enjoyable place to work
branch manager (Current Employee) –  bury st edmunds13 November 2017
Being relatively new to the company and coming from a competitor I have found thrifty to be a fun place to work with a very focused approach on being the best in their field.
the people I have met and worked with have all been very helpful and patient.
there is a very productive buzz around the business and this is fed down right from the top level of management.

I highly recommend this growing and established company.
Pros
great and focused atmosphere
Happy working at Thrifty
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire8 November 2017
No 2 days are the same and with different challenges but I have been trained to deal with these and it helps for greater experience in customer service and operational procedures.
Management I find to be friendly, helpful and approachable and there is always someone you can call to ask if you are unsure of something and need a second opinion.
I get on well with everyone on branch and over the telephone from head office and reservations.
There is a good strong team here and overall it is a great place to work.
Pros
Job security, career progression, enjoy being here
Cons
unfriendly customers (the minority fortunately)
Fantastic
Car valet, customer service and car deliverer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff7 November 2017
people were great to work with and always ready to help and give advice and tips. Management were friendly and supportive
had the opportunity to drive some fantastic cars
Pros
Driving nice cars
Cons
Cold
A fantastic company to work for!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall7 November 2017
I have been an employee at Thrifty for a number of years and have loved every minute. It's so refreshing to work for a company that treats you like an individual and not another statistic. I particularly enjoy how there is an emphasis on training and developing existing staff, which has allowed me to learn a great deal during my time here.
great people great place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Swansea16 October 2017
had the opportunity to drive some fantastic cars
Pros
get to drive luxury cars
Cons
dont trust your sat nav
Great company to work for
Recruitment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon5 September 2017
I started on a temporary contract in June 2016 and helped in a number of departments within head office. I ended up in the HR and Recruitment office helping with admin and a vacancy came up as a recruitment advisor and I haven't looked back since! I came into the role with very little direct experience in recruitment and Thrifty have given me a chance to prove myself and have invested a lot of time in sending me on training days, seminars etc. I've been in the role for a year now and we are only expanding so I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
Pros
Modern head office with gym, free parking
good place to work if there is work, otherwise you are out in all weathers washing cars.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Stansted Airport22 August 2017
start of day normally involves moving& washing cars.If you are you lucky you get to do some deliveries/collections. my branch was busy in the first months of my employment but quiet and boring later. the manager was ok but a bit aloof and there were no perks to this job you even got minimum wage on xmas day! there are better jobs out there surely. if there was no work you have to go home after 5 hours
thrifty worker
Rental Assistant (Former Employee) –  England3 August 2017
Be prepared to have a challenging but fun day
At Thrifty you learn to multi task
Team players all the way
I found Thrifty to learn how to deal with customers in the correct manner
Pros
Thrifty teach you how to give great customer service
Avoid this place
Collection Driver/ valater (Former Employee) –  Feltham23 April 2017
Worked here 9 months, managers are very rude and stuck up. They don't appreciate anything it's always give and get nothing. Shocking in how they run the branch alot of snakes and fakes. Avoid this place if you can especially feltham branch
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Great role
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Tower Hill Station4 April 2017
Great company, I have been with them for 2 years now. There have been some challenges and opportunities for development.

I have enjoyed my time with thrifty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrifty Car and Van Rental. Our community is ready to answer.

Thrifty Car and Van Rental Reviews by Location