Thrifty Car and Van Rental Employee Reviews

Stay well clear
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire24 September 2019
An abysmal place to work...branch level the staff are good but some get away with doing very little when others take on much of the work. No support from head office or the so called area manager or newly appointed regional manager who only repeats what the area manager has to say, there’s a lot of pointless positions within the company especially at head office. You get attitude from res/fleet/defleet on a daily basis. The buck is past around a lot and usually means the branch gets all the blame.
Pros
Nice cars
Cons
Everything else
Bad Management
rental agent (Current Employee) –  thrifty bristol.city17 September 2019
I have never worked in such a two-faced enviroment. the managers included anything you speak to them about that should be confidential is discussed with everyone within the work place.
they employ people on a 0 hour contract and then sack them when they are no longer needed.
if I had known about this before I would have never worked here
9 October 2019

If you would like to discuss his further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003. We are always here to listen to your comments.

Not good
Driver (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire10 September 2019
Management close to irrelevant management care less about their employees and they treat people like slaves . Wouldn’t encourage anyone to go work there
17 September 2019

Thank you for your comment. We have an internal HR team that are available to discuss these matters further. Please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

For Thrifty read Shifty
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Dudley6 September 2019
The job per say is OK, you get to drive all different types of vehicle even high end BMW and Jaguar but the zero hours contract gives no security and the company expect a lot from you, you don't have a finish time so could be working way past 7pm after a 8am start and especially at the Dudley branch there is very little recognition of the work you put in.
17 September 2019

We always welcome feedback, thank you for your comments. Please call Recruitment on 01392 346003 if you would like to discuss this further.

Supportive and Encouraging
National Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire28 August 2019
Working for Thrifty has been by far the best move I've made in a while - I came from a retail environment where you'd work long hours for peanuts.
Here I have already progressed after less than a year with support from my managers. Great place to work. Would highly recommend.
The workload is not too high, but even if you find it too much the management jump to offer help.
Pros
Fun work environment.
Cons
On top of a massive hill.
17 September 2019

Thank you for your comments about being an Administrator in our High Wycombe Office!

Where do I start
Driver / q.i (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield5 August 2019
Dangerous working conditions for q.i, pot holes standing water no valet bays / canopy .electric cable trailing through water .. when it rains water runs Down walls over sockets lights etc very surprised someone not be hurt yet.. certain member of office staff a Passive aggressive bully constant criticism of Q.i. Drivers other office staff and management made it impossible to work with them the list just goes on
Pros
None I can think of
Cons
Working conditions and certain staff
17 September 2019

Thank you for your comments. We have an internal HR team that are able to advise further. Please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

Terrible place to work. Dont do it.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Sheffield5 August 2019
If you like being singled out and people stabbing you in the back and if you're the kind of person who wants a part time job with the hours of a full time a job for minimum wage which they claim is competitive then this is the job for you. Management are useless and if you do them favours you get crapped on. So i would highly recommend anyone to stay way clear of this job because it will be a huge waste of time. Its the worse job I've ever had and ive done some bad jobs. Oh and its monthly pay.
Pros
Drive some nice cars
Cons
Everything else
17 September 2019

Thank you for your comments. If you'd like to discuss this further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

One of the worst Jobs I have worked in
Quality Inspector/ Driver/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 August 2019
I started as a driver in a branch in Birmingham The actual job of being a Driver was great fun which inspired me about the latest technology for cars and I was able to drive some really nice cars to various locations in the uk but the only problem was they were very petty on damage which could be something like a small scratch on the car above a certain mm dents stonechip etc and you was penalised as a driver if you missed the damage so if you picked up a car dirty you would have to tell the customer that you will have to get the car cleaned to check for damages further which was too petty and customers get charged a bomb if there is damage as other Car Rental companies are not like this they were also petty on fuel as well as they wanted the vehicle back on a full tank otherwise whatever was charged to fill up the car they would charge the customer twice the price which is bad customer service. The management was good at the time but not perfect and I got on well with them there was a few petty colleagues who would always try to get me in problems as I just got on with my Job some of them was jealous as even though I was on a 0 hour contract I did get a lot of regular shifts and I was in the process of becoming a CSR but relocated to Newport Wales due to other commitments I tried to get a transfer to the Newport branch but the manager at the time was racist and denied me a position even though I was over qualified for the CSR role he wouldn’t even give me a driver position there even though the jobs was advertised on numerous occasions so I had to commute to Bristol and became  more... a Quality Inspector the management at the time was brilliant and accommodated for my needs as I was travelling from Newport but when that management on the new management was not helpful to my needs and when I could not afford to get to Bristol without any notice they advertised my Job online I spoke to the head office to try and get a transfer to the Newport branch and was still declined so I had to leave in the end.

Thrifty makes a lot of money overall as a company as they buy cars brand new in batches some of which are top of the range like Range Rovers, BMWs, Mercedes etc but can also be average like fords or fiats then sell them when they get to a certain mileage to places like Motorpoint etc so considering they make so much money they need to treat and pay their staff better with better incentives as the turnover in this job is very high.

If you are looking for a Job as a hobby to pass a bit of time like a part time Driver/ QI then this is the job for you this is all this job is good for.
Pros
Nice range of cars to drive, If you rent a vehicle yourself there is no deposit as you just pay for the rental.
Cons
Pettyness of staff & management with damages etc and in general, Common unprofessional people that work there, Low wages, No progression and 0 hours contracts
17 September 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us. Thank you for your comments. If you would like to discuss this further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

Not a good place of work.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire28 July 2019
I started as a driver under a different Manager who was lovely. Passionate about the business and her staff. I then took role of CSR and it was going great. Then another Manager started and it all went downhill. I think to date ( because I still talk to a few people left) all but 3 out of a group of 12 left. EVERYONE except her are amazingly polite and courteous people. Shame the Manageress doesn't move on!
17 September 2019

Thank you for your comments on our Cambridge location. If you would like to discuss this further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

Big restructure needed.
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Preston28 July 2019
Reading the reviews from drivers and QI's, I need to put forward an opinion as a member of the office staff.
There is zero support, when a situation arises that affects the branch whether this be staffing levels or fleet availability, it seems management just leave it to be your problem. If you contact the relevant department asking for assistance especially fleet supply, if they can be bothered to pick up the phone, you just get a grunt and no help, if you email, just expect a snotty reply - and no help.
5 office staff at our branch and 3 off sick - read into that what you will.
Higher management have a reshuffle every year or so - with no effect to front line staff, we are still stuck with the same dead end branch managers, who contribute zero, avoid conflict, make regular mistakes and have split personalities when higher management visit.
There are no procedures in place to help complete your work, if they do roll out something new, its almost like they're so excited about the new thing thats been worked on, theres no time taken to check that it actually functions correctly. 100% of the time it fails on the first day.
I cant comment on the CEO, I have never had the pleasure.
Cons
No structure.
17 September 2019

We always welcome feedback. Please call Recruitment on 01392 346003 if you would like to discuss this further.

Stressfull
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wales12 July 2019
If you want your life consumed Thrifty is the place to go. Very long hours and they expect you to work every hour under the sun with basic rate overtime. Weekend working required too paid at basic rate. Commission is good. If you know how to sell then you with thrive. Nice cars on fleet but as reservations team who dont help you at all sending bookings down and not checking fleet. Very big workload. Been there a few months and already dislike the job. Too much pressure but hardwork recognised. They advertise more annual leave holidays than you are actually entitled to. You have to have out of hours phone which basically stops you from being able to spend your evening the way you want to. This company will run you into the ground. The people are nice however.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Long hours, basic rate overtime, out of hours phone.
17 September 2019

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please call Recruitment on 01392 346003 if you would like to discuss this further.

Big company Big opportunities
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire11 July 2019
I’m starting next Monday. The recruitment process has been excellent the management and colleagues I’ve met through the process are wonderful and welcoming. I can’t wait to start, looking forward to it and a great chance for me to bring my skills and develop further with the company.
Pros
Excellent benefits
17 September 2019

Thank you for your 5 star review about Recruitment process!

not productive at all
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire4 July 2019
The place is filled with immature kids who don't care about their job. The ones who want to work therefore have to work twice as hard because the rest don't care. Managers are useless and the pay is bad.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Petty two faced staff
17 September 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your time in our High Wycombe Office. We always welcome feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

Thrifty Bristol Central awful
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 June 2019
had the misfortune to work here, the management are a joke, the guys are expected to work from 7am to close with no overtime rate, £8.21 per hour on a 0 hours contract.They expect you to vacuum cars in the street using a handheld vac and a cloth. The cars are abandoned anywhere in residential streets never mind the households.
Pros
Cons
Long hours. poor management
17 September 2019

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please call Recruitment on 01392 346003.

Occasionally driving nice cars, made some decent friends. thats about it.
Returns agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport16 June 2019
this job was okay for a zero hour contract.

To sum it up

If you do good, the company stays silent. If you make tiny small mistakes, everyone points it out.

- One of the biggest concern, technology did not always work which definitely slowed the job down. It was then difficult checking in cars, and then closing the contracts. I doubt management have even fixed this now, they hardly care which is very upsetting for the employees.
- Management treats you like slaves
- Management didn't care about me or my fellow workers, they just wanted the job done
- The job is very stressful at busy times.
- Expect minimum help if you are on your own during busy hours, i absolutely hated this.
- There is so much hard work for so little pay
- Benefits? that word does not exist in this company
- Everyone always moaned behind each others back
- A lot of backbiting and snitching in the company between fellow workers, this was a daily occurrence.
-Organisation from management was very poor, especially when it came to allocating shifts.
- meetings and ongoing training was non-existent in this company. Management would never care or ask about how work is going or is there any improvements needed. this was something all my colleagues hated.

Customers get charged for damages they have not done, because I have seen these damages before that are not marked as previous my fellow colleagues had missed the damages. This occurs a lot and it is very poor from the company which has great potential, and this made me feel guilt when i had to charge the customer. The branch supervisor also
  more... was not very helpful, she would expect us to do work as well and she was not the friendliest of workers.

Anything good in this company?
Occasionally got to drive nice cars, made some good friends. Meeting new customers everyday. Really that's about it.

Notice my negativity towards upper management, they really need to step their game up and pay more attention to their employees. When I worked at this branch, majority of workers were not happy.
Pros
Driving nice cars, good work friends
Cons
long hours, poor pay, stressful, minimum help, extremely poor management
10 September 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your experience whilst working with us. We always welcome feedback; thank you for your review. If you would like to discuss these comments further, please call recruitment on 01392 346003.

Great staff Great place to work
Return Agent (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport15 June 2019
Very professional very friendly .Happy staff great with customers, cars are very clean and well took care of they go the extra mile to make sure the customer is happy.
10 September 2019

Thank you for your nice review about being a Return Agent at our Edinburgh Airport branch!

2nd time here
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow Airport7 June 2019
I have worked fir thrifty at many branches all which are really good and fun to work at with great support from management. I make great money here in commission and have returned for a second time
Pros
Great people
10 September 2019

Thank you for comments, we are happy to hear you enjoy your employment with us!

Nice experience
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire7 June 2019
good place to work to. Working as a customer service representative gives the opportunity to gain commissions. The opportunity to drive nice cars too. Some other benefits
Pros
Nice car to drive - commission
Cons
working under pressure sometimes
10 September 2019

Thank you for your feedback about your time as a Customer Service Representative at our Aylesbury branch!

Loved this job so much
Driver/Valeter (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 June 2019
Best company ive ever worked for the management at Bournemouth was an absolute legend got on woth everyone there had laughs and the banters i miss working for thrifty end off. Top marks all round.
Pros
Treated like family
Cons
Sometimes the rain but its England for you.
10 September 2019

Thank you for your lovely comments about our Bournemouth location!

Don't Waste Your Time!

• No Professionalism
• No Recognition for Hard Work
• Very Negative Work Atmosphere
• No Job Security

This company will make you feel very insignificant and replaceable. I’ve always been a hard worker and I’ve never disliked a job until I worked at Thrifty Car and Van Rental.

Do yourself a favour & hold out - a better job is out there! :)
Pros
Quick/Easy to get the job.
Cons
Everything else.
3 September 2019

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience whilst working for us. We have an internal HR team who are available to assist with any issues. If you'd like to discuss this further, please call us on 01392 346003.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrifty Car and Van Rental. Our community is ready to answer.