Thomas Cook Employee Reviews

Overseas is better than Retail
Travel Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Southend21 November 2018
I'm giving this review about retail but overseas is much, much better!
Absolutely loved working in retail when I moved into it after working overseas. It's a varied workload and feels good to sell suitable holidays to happy customers but there will always be greedy colleagues who want to get all the sales - they will sell anything to the poor customers just to close the sale and you end up doing their admin and dealing with their complaints whilst they earn all the commission! It should be a shop commission so that people work together as a team and are happy to do each others admin.
Not that the commission is any good - be prepared to have to sell £150,000 to earn £30 every three months (before tax!) it's a complete insult - Think the company earned profits of over 280 million last year so they're definitely not sharing it with the front line workers!
Severe lack of training - you just get thrown into it and the computer systems and responses from head office are painfully slow.
They promise you discount on holidays but it's really not worth having. Not a bad job if you're desperate but my experience was awful and I ended up suffering with severe depression before I decided to just quit.
Pros
Finding customers their perfect holiday.
Cons
Unfair commission structure.
No loyalty shown to experienced and long serving staff
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire17 November 2018
Worked for the company for over ten years, worked more hours than I should for no extra pay, no thanks or loyalty shown, its not what you know its who you know with regional managers.

Wish I'd never wasted so many years working for such a disrespectful company, losing loads of experienced staff, resulting in poor morale, but they don't seem to care
Pros
Cons
low morale, long hours for little pay
Safety
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 November 2018
Has a great safety culture, lots of opportunity for career progression, great staff benefits. Shifts provide good work life balance. Regular updates to keep on track with company performance
Pros
Staff perks
Cons
brexit
good company
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 October 2018
Thomas cook is a very good company to work for, they look after their staff members both in the UK or in the IDM scheme.

Good pay,
good team work with the company
Good starting company for a career in Travel
Contact Centre Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire18 October 2018
This company is good if you are looking to get your career in travel started. The training is everything you need in order to get an idea of the travel industry.
Fun place
Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Birmingham17 October 2018
Great Company to work for, so many friendly people that welcome you when you first start.
Wouldn't want to work for any other airline.
so many perks to this job in many good ways
Pros
So many Benefits
fun
Service representative (Former Employee) –  turkey14 October 2018
working abroad is amazing but you work hard all day in hot weather with minimal time off. rarely off duty and get phone calls on your day off. but amazing team I worked with
Excellent employer
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Larbert, Falkirk13 October 2018
Both an excellent atmosphere and management system treat their employees like they are the be all of the businesses success and that every member of staff is important to that.
Worst company to work for!
Cabin crew (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 October 2018
Thomas Cook are the worst company I have ever worked for! The salary is poor, the cabin managers are horrible, the crew act like they don’t want to be there and the standard of recruitment process is appalling.
Crewing first of all - put all the wrong details on my roster allowing me to turn up to flights that were scheduled at a completely different time, they are rude, sarcastic and have awful people skills!
The cabin managers are constantly stressed, find it difficult to put a smile on their face and are just generally unfriendly.
After having many ploblems flying with this company, it resulted in me having to terminate my employment due to anxiety and depression.
In the employee bonding agreement, it states that if an employee resigns due to ill health they will NOT have to pay the £800 (or remaining) bond fees, but oh no.. Thomas cook are still trying to sponge this money off me 5 months down the line. After calling the legal department, sending emails across and even writing a letter I have not ONCE received any response.
In a nut-shell, they are a cheap, badly managed, money driven absolute joke of an airline who if anyone told me they were thinking of applying to i would tell them to run for the hills!
amazing job
Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Stansted Airport5 October 2018
its a hard working job but i love it, everyone is so nice and friendly and you meet different people every day. and work with different crew and see different places
Pros
see the world
review
Project Management (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 October 2018
Great team and efforts. Good place if you want to progress and advance your career. You can learn a lot and be exposed to lots of things. I would recommend.
excellent
Cabin Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 September 2018
Fantastic company to work for. Brilliant training. Supportive management who enable you to fulfil your potential. Great working atmosphere, uniforms and benefits that are good.
benefits
Cons
limited leave availability
Very fun workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Scotland26 September 2018
During my time at Thomas Cook, my duties included answering incoming calls, making outbound calls, handling customers complaints positively, and within a timely manner.
contact centre environment
Learning And Development Operational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Scotland20 September 2018
great staff to work with but usual call centre environment stats driven,high pressure at times.
good pay for type of job, not much progression unless you want to go into management but jobs few and far between.
Pros
people
Cons
shift pattern
Sales Consultant
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Laws, UK19 September 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was customer satisfaction. Repeat customers wanting to explore new destinations and entrusting me to find them something idyllic.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
Wages
Used to be a great place to work
Directors Office Executive (Former Employee) –  Falkirk18 September 2018
Not the same anymore, don't care about employees. Everything is cost saving over quality, management team are self obsessed and all about self preservation.
Pros
Some good perks
Cons
No leadership values at the top level
Productive and fun workplace
Travel Adviser/Customer Accounts Adviser (Current Employee) –  Larbert7 September 2018
Within the Thomas Cook I will either take calls or do admin which is all customer based and dealing with balances, payments, refund and direct debits. On phone we will take calls for amending the direct debit dates or amounts. We will also take payment and deal with customers looking for balance extensions if can be authorised or come to an agreement. Admin we will chase for balance, apply vouchers, chase low deposits and work with our department query inbox.

I have learned customer focus, putting your heart into it and understanding the customers personal circumstances to put them at the heart of the company.

The managers and assistant managers are always up for a challenge and looking to help us at any times necessary if this comes to us not being sure on something or taking managers calls for irate customers.

I would say the hardest part of the job for me is the customers who are very upset and we haven't managed to do anything to meet what they require as too much out our process or too close to travel, it makes you feel upset knowing you have not been able to meet someones needs.

I love the people I work with as we all like a big family and there to support each in and out of work if we are having difficult times to supporting each other into some answer we may not all know within customers enquires.
Pros
Incentives and bonus
Cons
Hard to get annual leave when needed
Overseas rep
Destination Representative (Former Employee) –  Overseas4 September 2018
I had a bad experience with this company. Would
Not recommend I feel they do not treat staff correctly however i had a good experience in the sense I got to live in various different countries, meet amazing people and learn new langauahes and cultures. However you can do this without working as a rep and the added stress of this role.
Pros
Abroad, meet new people, experience of living in different countries and learning new cultures/languages, free food- most of the time. (Can probably do all of this without doing this job)
Cons
Hard work, rarely appreciated, not looked after or respected when STAFF have an issue or problem, Very poor pay, incorrect most of the time, Poor accommodation for staff, Very unorganised business abroad not sure what it is like in the UK
Fun
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon2 September 2018
Good training and fun to work
Enjoy working with customers to book perfect holiday
Different jobs and tasks ever day
Great team work and social events
Support to develop with in the company
Pros
Holiday discounts
A good Career
Travel sales consultant (Current Employee) –  Eltham, Greater London23 August 2018
The job itself is good and the experience and what i have learnt is amazing. However the salary they pay and how the management treat their staff is appauling.
Pros
educationals
Cons
salary, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Cook. Our community is ready to answer.