Thomas Cook Employee Reviews

loved it
Senior Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockport20 April 2018
absolutely loved my time with Thomas Cook. Yeah the wages aren't great, I knew that before I set out for a career in Travel. very good company to work for, really look after their staff. I would go back in a heartbeat.
not the same
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  North West13 April 2018
When I first started working for Thomas cook they were a good company to work for but towards the end they were not so good. Lots of pressure on staff to reach targets, benefits were taken off employees that had long service,
Pros
promotion opportunities
Cons
high pressure
fun
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2018
good company to work for, long shifts but fine if you have no family. good salary when working in the summer and good time off when needed in the winter
Not well suited
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 April 2018
The job required unsocial hours and long shifts. As we flew to the destination and back without getting off the plane, it was very hard on the body. There would be a cabin manager on each flight however they would only be able to deal with flight concerns. There was one regional manager who covered both Cardiff and Bristol Airport so she was hard to contact if there were any concerns. After handing in my notice, I did not hear back until 2 weeks after I had left!! I was just taken off the rota. However, I appreciate with this sort of role this is necessary.
Thomas Cook - Great
Customer documentation/service/sales team (Former Employee) –  West Bretton8 April 2018
Given tasks and learned different ways of approaching things, Learning all of the systems used over all the departments. Answering phone calls, replying to emails and sending out letters and tickets for holidays with luggage labels.
Pros
breaks throughout the day
fun, fast paced enviroment
Apprentice, Travel consultant, Foreign (Former Employee) –  Colchester5 April 2018
As a large travel organisation this role suits anyone with a interest in travelling and helping others find their dream holidays. The company always developed staffs knowledge with ongoing training.
A great team in my branch
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
I have worked my way up to where I am today. I am a proven Assistant Manager who has led my team to being one of the best performing branches in my region. I am in charge of a team of 8 and in my cluster managers absence I am in charge of an additional 3 branches. I am responsible for all new starter training and am always willing to help others where I can
Pros
great working team
Cons
job security and progression
Rewarding working with customers but poor management and salary
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk24 March 2018
Management are sales target driven and are not chosen for their people skills.
Salary and incentives are poor.
It's rewarding knowing you are finding people a great holiday and one they'll remember.
Cons
7 day week
Great place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales22 March 2018
Worked for the company for 20 years not much room for progression , can be extremely stressful as work on low staff levels but can be a very rewarding job
Pros
Nice company
Cons
Low pay
First management job
Trainee Manager, Hammersmith and Victoria Branches (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 March 2018
Thomas Cook gave me all the skills and background I needed to succeed on my own in my own business

If I hadn't have left to pursue my own aspirations in the business world I'd probably be working at Thomas Cook head office now
Restricted Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South West15 March 2018
When working for Thomas Cook I was employed as an Assistant Manager. They sent new recruits on a Monday-Friday course in Peterborough. To be honest, the course was great. We learnt a lot about the products and services to sell in store. However, when I actually got back to the store to carry out what I had learnt, the course seemed completely irrelevant.

In my store, I wasn't shown enough of how to actually use the computer systems of how to book a holiday and in the end it ended up being a guessing game. When asking colleagues for help, they made you feel like it was a chore to help you, so were often put in a very awkward situation with a customer sitting in front of you.

More in store training would have definitely made a different but due to being low staffed when I started, this training wasn't available, corresponding with customer flow.
Pros
Week's course in Peterborough
Cons
Poor/unrealistic training to carry out in store
Overseas Representative
Overseas Destination Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire13 March 2018
Great experience overall
Working with different nationalities
Great way to travel and see the world
Days off spent at the beach or exploring
Expect to work 12 - 14hr days sometimes with no break due to flight delays etc
No two days are the same
Pressure to sell excursions / commission based
Free excursions on your days off
Free food in hotels
Pros
Accommodation paid and company rental vehicle with fuel allowance
Cons
Long hours with very poor pay
assistant
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beverley6 March 2018
i really enjoyed my work experience at Thomas cook i had great people to help and also met great people. i would recommend booking a holiday with them.
Pros
great people
Not too good.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen4 March 2018
Did not enjoy this job. High turnover of staff. Lots of new things to learn when you begin. Not flexible for single parents needing holidays or days off. Not good pay.
Fun workplace and experience
Short Haul Cabin Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex3 March 2018
This was my first position in the airline industry and was a great place to start.
Each day at work was different, different location, different crew and different passengers.
The training is hard, and the hours are very long. Some days were back to back flights which were tough, and as short haul crew you don't get off at the destination and enjoy it. You clean the aircraft, fill it up again and turn straight back round. The most difficult part of the job is the colleagues. There was a big emphasis on hierarchy - if you're new then you are very clearly at the bottom of everything, even down to sandwich choice! There was also a lot of staff moaning about the job, but that was the same at both airlines I have worked with. No one is ever happy, and there is a big attitude issue.
Pros
travel
Cons
antisocial working hours, very long working days
rubbish company
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  East Midlands28 February 2018
terrible really bad management would never work for them again really judgemental company really long hours fatigue and depression is a hug factor doing this job for them
Sales
Consultant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom23 February 2018
the staff make this company. high pressured sales but excellent if you enjoy selling. not much in the way of incentives anymore can be a job for life
Engaging, Exciting, Pay is average
Travel Advisor (Former Employee) –  Larbert21 February 2018
Bonus was attainable, job was interesting and fun. People were the main reason I stayed and reason I left was a lack of promotion opporeunites. Good discount though.
Good
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk20 February 2018
Working within Thomas Cook is good and great environment to work in. Enjoying working within Thomas cook. Managers are friendly and nice. being on phone
An enjoyable workplace
EASA A Licensed Mechanic (Current Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport, West Sussex13 February 2018
Daily work can vary from the routine to defect rectification. A very professional group of engineers that have come from a variety of companies with a wealth of experience. The station has an excellent SEM and is respected by all engineers. The workplace culture is that the work gets done in a professional manner.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Cook. Our community is ready to answer.