Thomas Cook Employee Reviews

Sales Consultant
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Laws, UK19 September 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was customer satisfaction. Repeat customers wanting to explore new destinations and entrusting me to find them something idyllic.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
Wages
Used to be a great place to work
Directors Office Executive (Former Employee) –  Falkirk18 September 2018
Not the same anymore, don't care about employees. Everything is cost saving over quality, management team are self obsessed and all about self preservation.
Pros
Some good perks
Cons
No leadership values at the top level
Productive and fun workplace
Travel Adviser/Customer Accounts Adviser (Current Employee) –  Larbert7 September 2018
Within the Thomas Cook I will either take calls or do admin which is all customer based and dealing with balances, payments, refund and direct debits. On phone we will take calls for amending the direct debit dates or amounts. We will also take payment and deal with customers looking for balance extensions if can be authorised or come to an agreement. Admin we will chase for balance, apply vouchers, chase low deposits and work with our department query inbox.

I have learned customer focus, putting your heart into it and understanding the customers personal circumstances to put them at the heart of the company.

The managers and assistant managers are always up for a challenge and looking to help us at any times necessary if this comes to us not being sure on something or taking managers calls for irate customers.

I would say the hardest part of the job for me is the customers who are very upset and we haven't managed to do anything to meet what they require as too much out our process or too close to travel, it makes you feel upset knowing you have not been able to meet someones needs.

I love the people I work with as we all like a big family and there to support each in and out of work if we are having difficult times to supporting each other into some answer we may not all know within customers enquires.
Pros
Incentives and bonus
Cons
Hard to get annual leave when needed
Overseas rep
Destination Representative (Former Employee) –  Overseas4 September 2018
I had a bad experience with this company. Would
Not recommend I feel they do not treat staff correctly however i had a good experience in the sense I got to live in various different countries, meet amazing people and learn new langauahes and cultures. However you can do this without working as a rep and the added stress of this role.
Pros
Abroad, meet new people, experience of living in different countries and learning new cultures/languages, free food- most of the time. (Can probably do all of this without doing this job)
Cons
Hard work, rarely appreciated, not looked after or respected when STAFF have an issue or problem, Very poor pay, incorrect most of the time, Poor accommodation for staff, Very unorganised business abroad not sure what it is like in the UK
Fun
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon2 September 2018
Good training and fun to work
Enjoy working with customers to book perfect holiday
Different jobs and tasks ever day
Great team work and social events
Support to develop with in the company
Pros
Holiday discounts
A good Career
Travel sales consultant (Current Employee) –  Eltham, Greater London23 August 2018
The job itself is good and the experience and what i have learnt is amazing. However the salary they pay and how the management treat their staff is appauling.
Pros
educationals
Cons
salary, poor management
Good Company
Apprentice Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chichester23 August 2018
Big company with staff benefits, I had a great team and great management in the store I worked in so enjoyable. Learn so much about the world and each destination
Pros
dis
Cons
working all weekend
Great
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London20 August 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time and Thomas cook was said to leave
Many happy memories was very well looked and great did ojnts for staff on holidays - loved travelling and visiting many different desyinsyions
Do not work here!!!
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk20 August 2018
Worst job I have had.
Management are terrible.
Benefits are terrible.
Customers are all very angry with Thomas Cook.
Training is terrible.
Staff are unhappy.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours, Bad Salary, Bad Managment.
excellent job, pay was awful
Senior Travel Consultant & Foreign Exchange (Former Employee) –  Belfast3 August 2018
I loved working for Thomas Cook.

Branding, customer service standards were all excellent .

Uniform standards were the same as cabin crew and reps to promote consistancy.

Unfortunately the basic pay was horrendous, you were dependent on commission to make it up.
Awful place to work bad management !
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bury Haymarket30 July 2018
Bad management all round but especially store manager she doesn’t know what day it is ! Sits on social media all day whilst everyone else runs round.
Rubbish pay and unrealistic targets and even if you hit the commission is shocking!! No lunch breaks and working late regular no time back don’t do it to yourself you will seriously regret! It’s a job if desperate but you would need to be.
Pros
It’s a job if your desperate
Cons
Too many to mention
Unorganised
Entertainer (Former Employee) –  Overseas23 July 2018
Was supposed to work for this company as an entertainer starting in July. The problems started from when I was told I was going to training abroad with them (everyone would be going we were told at the intitial audition) I arranged to have time off for the month of training and was told TWO DAYS before that I wasn’t invited to attend the training course, being told I’d be trained when I got to my destination, which I was going to be told with two weeks notice, which was okay, two weeks was plenty of time. After not hearing from the company for months and an upcoming placement to be taken within a matter of days, I still had no idea what was going on, ALL of my messages were being ignored and I had no direct point of contact to speak to. Someone was ill, not my job etc etc. The whole thing was a complete shambles. It wasn’t until 2 days before I was meant to go anywhere that I received an email entitled ‘UPDATE’ which wasn’t an update at all, it was just to say they still hadn’t sorted out placements but would give us 24 hrs notice of where we were supposed to be going. NOT A CHANCE. It wasn’t worth the measley £600 a month even if it was a dream job of mine.

Luckily, I decided to ask advice from employees I met at the audition about what I should do, every single one of them said DO NOT TAKE THE JOB, you are overworked, they’re understaffed and unprofessional and management are awful (thought I got an insight to that from the complete lack of organisation) I don’t know one single person I met on my audition date who still works for them after beginning their placement.
Pros
working abroad
Cons
Long hours, unorganised, complete shambles
Very good company to work
Senior Credit Controller (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester20 July 2018
Thomas Cook is by far one of the best companies i have worked for. Both Finance Directors had alot of trust in me to get my daily duties completed but also gave me many opportunites to improve the credit control function.
Pros
Cheap Holidays
Cons
Non because i really enjoyed working there!
Very busy
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk17 July 2018
This is a very busy role - mainly in the Foreign Exchange Bureux selling and buying back currency. i was also on the shop floor selling holidays in the UK, short haul and long haul
fun workplace
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Glasgow17 July 2018
Looking after the safety of your passengers, was the number 1 priority, this was very challenging but also very rewarding.
I took part on training courses every single year and had to sit exams, which was vey intense.
I was promoted to Bar Person, which involved being in charge of half of the aircraft, assisting the Cabin Manager, and took responsibility for all the takings on the day and then banking at the end of the day.
I travelled all over the world which was fabulous as I saw amazing places and got trips where we stayed over.
I was also put up against some very challenging and sad situations, people taking ill and having to divert on the journey to another destination.
I loved meeting new people every single day, and looking after everyone , making sure they had a fabulous experience with Thomas Cook, and they would want to return with us again.
just a number
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockport16 July 2018
for a big company, they treat their staff very poorly. long hours, unrealistic expectations, very little benefits that's are also unlikely to receive due to ridiculous workloads
ok
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 July 2018
very poor pay, they make it so hard to make commission. not a relaxing job. managers very hard on new starts. i was so excited to start but has put me off travel.
Very long days
Show Entertainer (Former Employee) –  Overseas14 July 2018
If you want experience to help you put your foot in the door for performing arts, then steer away. The job is advertised as a show Entertainer, when actually the night shows are the least of your priorities. In fact, this jobs main priorities are daytime activities, which are fine but absolutley exhausting in 30+ degree heat.

This job is more suited to someone who wants to take a gap year/summer away, who enjoys working with children, enjoys working in customer service, doesn't mind being active all day everyday and maybe use it as a way to go abroad without having to pay for accommodation. All in, the job is well not worth the money and again, actors/singers/dancers, do not be fooled by the auditions they get you to do... you will only perform in 30mins of a 9-12hour day. If you're wanting performance experience, I'd search for different companies that have daily, even weekly rehearsals.

This job role is in fact an all around Entertainer. If you love working with kids and sing for a hobby then go for it! This was just unfortunately my experience.
Pros
Food/accom paid (there not top quality bare in mind), team was nice
Cons
Job role wrongly advertised, Extremely long hours, terrible wage, high expectations(enthusiastic all the time despite running on little energy)
my review
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough11 July 2018
spent 12 years in total working for thomas cook but the past 12 months have been very difficult

the people are what make the company

but you are not valued and you have to work under emence pressure in retail. and as a consultant are paid very little
Amazing Job
Entertainer (Former Employee) –  Mallorca, Cyprus, Tenerife9 July 2018
10 hour days
The days fly by,
I never saw this as a job it was such fun
Entertainment with kids and adults in the day and night
Singing on stage and performing
All the hotels I worked in had a fantastic atmosphere
Pros
Accommodation, Food and Transport provided
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Cook. Our community is ready to answer.