Thomas Cook Employee Reviews

just starting working life in a shing Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook Travel agent (Former Employee) –  Belfast21 June 2018
Getting into Thomas Cook as a young 18 year old I felt so proud,it was like a family with the manager and assistant having been there 30 years.There were approximately 10 counter slots and you had to man your station so to speak.I loved it regularly coming first in my sales targets in the days when everyone booked in a travel agent.It set me up for life giving me a bustling, thriving atmosphere full of people and fun and adventure. It truly was non stop .hectic travel agent the busiest in Belfast.
Short and long haul.
Package holidays
Complex travel itineries and train timetable through Europe
Ferry and coach tours
Short breaks
Foreign exchange office
A great team and atmosphere all round with wonderful management.
Pros
free holidays, learning of destinations, human relations friendships made
Cons
Working saturdays as a teenager!!
Review
Administration Team Manager Roles (Former Employee) –  Bradford14 June 2018
Fantastic company to work for, unfortunately I was made redundant with the closure of the Bradford office but had worked there for many years.

The company and the team I worked with were fantastic, they were very flexible and easy to get along with. The benefits at the time were great - can't fault, would have stayed had the office remained open.
Pros
Benefits, Flexibilty
Cons
Not really any
Interesting and lots of learning every day
Travel Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol8 June 2018
A great job if you have a passion for travel. Most enjoyable part of the job everyday there is something different so you’ll always be looking at different destinations.
Pros
Great members of staff and good opportunities for earning commission
Cons
Shift work, all weekends and bank holidays
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 June 2018
I loved my time at thomas cook, I started off in a call centre then worked from home for a while, I found all manages very approachable and felt fully supported while working from home. Staff 1-2-1's were held every month. Excellent commission and concessions. A huge change on my circumstances is the only reason I left Thomas cook.
Pros
Educationals (sent abroad to study places), concessions, amazing managers
Cons
Low basic wage
Great oppourtunity to learn new & amazing things about travel
Senior Travel Executive (Former Employee) –  Putney, Greater London23 May 2018
Daily exploring the aims, targets for the day before operation
Customers needs & wants well looked after
Offering travel promotions & window displays
Attending to foreign exchange & travel insurances
Introducing car hire
Issuing air-tickets allocating seats, meals
Good team support, great atmosphere to work
Good looking uniform, great location for office
Great experience build-up for customer service, geographical knowledge gain, learning amazing computerskills
Decent time for lunch allowance
Pros
Staff bonus, resort free travels, decent staff discounts, Training course fun
Cons
Not enough holidays, low wages
Work hard, work harder
Copywriter/Senior Editorial Exec/Content Exec (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire22 May 2018
Used to be a great positive company. Not anymore. The new head office looks amazing, shame about the way the staff are treated. All about customer focus, but dont care about staff.
Not the best tour op to work for
Holiday Representative (Former Employee) –  Cyprus2 May 2018
Had a blast working in Cyprus but had minimal / no support from management when needed it. Staff accom was decent and made friends for life working with like minded people.
Pros
Decent staff accom
Enjoyable
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol27 April 2018
Great company to work for, with lots of amazing people. Exciting to help Customer with their Holiday Plans from Enquiringly stage to Welcome Home Call
Pros
Greats colleagues and Customer
Cons
Salary not the best
Another standard company
General Entertainer - Family Friendly Hotel (Former Employee) –  aboard26 April 2018
Again this is another standard company. They meet the basic statutory requirements. Do not except them to do more for you. Great for getting to go aboard.
loved it
Senior Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockport20 April 2018
absolutely loved my time with Thomas Cook. Yeah the wages aren't great, I knew that before I set out for a career in Travel. very good company to work for, really look after their staff. I would go back in a heartbeat.
not the same
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  North West13 April 2018
When I first started working for Thomas cook they were a good company to work for but towards the end they were not so good. Lots of pressure on staff to reach targets, benefits were taken off employees that had long service,
Pros
promotion opportunities
Cons
high pressure
fun
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2018
good company to work for, long shifts but fine if you have no family. good salary when working in the summer and good time off when needed in the winter
Not well suited
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 April 2018
The job required unsocial hours and long shifts. As we flew to the destination and back without getting off the plane, it was very hard on the body. There would be a cabin manager on each flight however they would only be able to deal with flight concerns. There was one regional manager who covered both Cardiff and Bristol Airport so she was hard to contact if there were any concerns. After handing in my notice, I did not hear back until 2 weeks after I had left!! I was just taken off the rota. However, I appreciate with this sort of role this is necessary.
Thomas Cook - Great
Customer documentation/service/sales team (Former Employee) –  West Bretton8 April 2018
Given tasks and learned different ways of approaching things, Learning all of the systems used over all the departments. Answering phone calls, replying to emails and sending out letters and tickets for holidays with luggage labels.
Pros
breaks throughout the day
fun, fast paced enviroment
Apprentice, Travel consultant, Foreign (Former Employee) –  Colchester5 April 2018
As a large travel organisation this role suits anyone with a interest in travelling and helping others find their dream holidays. The company always developed staffs knowledge with ongoing training.
A great team in my branch
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
I have worked my way up to where I am today. I am a proven Assistant Manager who has led my team to being one of the best performing branches in my region. I am in charge of a team of 8 and in my cluster managers absence I am in charge of an additional 3 branches. I am responsible for all new starter training and am always willing to help others where I can
Pros
great working team
Cons
job security and progression
Rewarding working with customers but poor management and salary
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk24 March 2018
Management are sales target driven and are not chosen for their people skills.
Salary and incentives are poor.
It's rewarding knowing you are finding people a great holiday and one they'll remember.
Cons
7 day week
Great place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales22 March 2018
Worked for the company for 20 years not much room for progression , can be extremely stressful as work on low staff levels but can be a very rewarding job
Pros
Nice company
Cons
Low pay
First management job
Trainee Manager, Hammersmith and Victoria Branches (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 March 2018
Thomas Cook gave me all the skills and background I needed to succeed on my own in my own business

If I hadn't have left to pursue my own aspirations in the business world I'd probably be working at Thomas Cook head office now
Restricted Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South West15 March 2018
When working for Thomas Cook I was employed as an Assistant Manager. They sent new recruits on a Monday-Friday course in Peterborough. To be honest, the course was great. We learnt a lot about the products and services to sell in store. However, when I actually got back to the store to carry out what I had learnt, the course seemed completely irrelevant.

In my store, I wasn't shown enough of how to actually use the computer systems of how to book a holiday and in the end it ended up being a guessing game. When asking colleagues for help, they made you feel like it was a chore to help you, so were often put in a very awkward situation with a customer sitting in front of you.

More in store training would have definitely made a different but due to being low staffed when I started, this training wasn't available, corresponding with customer flow.
Pros
Week's course in Peterborough
Cons
Poor/unrealistic training to carry out in store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Cook. Our community is ready to answer.