Thera Trust Employee Reviews

Good company
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Tiptree, Essex10 August 2018
Currently working for thera.. very good quality of care delivered by all staff in the supported address I work in. All people supported with dignity, respect and are given good choices
Pros
Small team
Cons
Lack of support from csl
Great Job. Great staff.
Supported Living Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire17 June 2018
I have been working for Thera since last year. On the whole im very happy. The application process took literally months. So much so i went to work elsewhere while it took place. The job is rewarding but can be hard mentally if you're unexperienced but the staff and the management help, in some cases above amd beyond whats I've experienced in any other job. Money isn't great but the job makes up for it so much so that it doesn't feel like "work" much of the time.
Pros
Fantastic senior staff, Management are there to help, when ever required, As are the TCs, Staff quality is high, Many have been working for Thera for years which says it all and the main reason i applied, The training is excellent, The support from fellow staff is excellent
Cons
Sleep in fee is absolutely abysmal, And the application process is extremely slow. Cut off ponts for extras, sleep ins etc fall at different times which only confuse most people and are unnecessary.
productive and fun workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dovercourt13 June 2018
We had fun and good times, good managers.
Good working on your own or in a team, managers listened and gave staff their requests.
The hardest part when you couldn't go home because staff didn't turn up. The most enjoyable part when you achieved things with the person supported.
Staff good at helping each other
Pros
good training
Cons
long days
No support
Community support leader (Former Employee) –  Inverness10 May 2018
This company is a joke. Preying on the good will of their managers to work way over their 39 hours a week and eat into your own time just to catch up on what can only be called a role that needs 2-3 people to do. REVIEWS.STAFF ROTA'S. PAYROLL.MEETINGS.SUPERVISION.MEDICATION ASSESSMENTS. PRINTING PAPERWORK. RISK ASSESSMENTS. SUPPORT PLANS.STAFF MEETINGS. TRIPS TO EDINBURGH FOR POINTLESS MEETINGS.the list is endless.
More interested in keeping within budget than anything else. That's all on 16 hours as Thera expect you to work 15 hours direct support on a 39 hour contract. DONT TOUCH THIS COMPANY IF YOU LOVE A FAIR WORK/LIFE BALANCE.
Pros
Atleast you can claim expenses
Cons
Everything apart from expenses
31 May 2018

I am disappointed to hear that this has been your experience of working for Thera (Scotland). As a company we really value our staff and we welcome the opportunity to discuss feedback openly, both positive and negative.

I would like the chance to discuss some of the things you have raised in your review and would be grateful if you could contact me at hradmin@thera.co.uk or via telephone at 0300 303 1280 to see how we could resolve some of your concerns.

Simon Pearce-Madge, Managing Director for Thera (Scotland)

Brilliant Team
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Community North East Midlands15 April 2018
I have worked for Thera for nearly 2 years and love my job. I started in the houses supporting then went on relief to do another job. I came back to work to do Community support a year ago. I mainly came back as the person who is the CSL now was TC before and I used to help out with shifts when I could and had a lot of respect for her. Now she is CSL and we have a new TC who also is brilliant, always there to advice and help. Yes I would say things need changing in Thera so TC’s aren’t worked in to the ground but as far as Community North goes and now we have joined with the South you can’t get a better team!
Pros
Brilliant Team
Cons
Sometimes long shifts
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire21 March 2018
Managerment were very 1 sided has favourites at work, the money wasn't great for what I did (personal opinion)
But over all was a good place to work if you enjoy support work.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Managerment
Peolple supported are lovely
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex10 January 2018
My own experience has been very good. Lovely team to work with. Nice atmosphere . Rotas done as fairly as possible. Hours to suit usually where possible
Pros
Nice work location
Cons
Wages quite low
Recommend this company!
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire8 November 2017
I am working for Thera for long time and i really enjoy it. Lovely people to support, helpful people in the Head office, special in Recruitment. Can support you through the process if needed.
My line manager is very nice and understanding specially if you have family emergencies or problems in your life that you need time off to be able to deal with it. people moans about the company being bad, but it depends of the area and managers in the location, but it can be solved if you report problems. I love being around the people we support and help them to make their life be easier and merrier.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
some days are bad like in every employment
Great Place to Work
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire8 November 2017
After working for a previous company for over 13 years, I was apprehensive in starting with a new employer. No need to have worried the company made me welcome from day one and continue to do so. Within the organisation job roles vary as with any organisations, Main priority is support adults with learning disabilities I believe from my time with the company this is delivered to a high standard.
Pros
Flexitime
Productive and frendly workplace
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire8 November 2017
I have nearly completed my first year with Thera, and though I work within a small team; everyone in the workplace is friendly with a good sense of humour and always happy to help regardless of their role. I have never worked within this industry before but so glad I was given this opportunity and such flexibility. I have learnt a lot about the company and supporting people with learning disabilities, which I continue to learn each day. Electrical resources maybe an issue at times, but that comes with everyday life, therefore prioritising work is the key.
Pros
Friendly staff
Glad to go
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  South West3 November 2017
I worked in the same home for over 12 years and since the merger between forward living and thera I have only seen disappointment.
Management have little or no management skills and to be perfectly honest a lot of the support workers are more highly qualified. Support workers tend to have better communication skills, a stronger work ethic and more focus on the people they support than management
Staff are not listened to, they are the people who support the tenants day in day out yet management are writing support plans for people they never work with. Tenants meetings and house meetings are non existent an supervision consist of a prewritten piece of paper handed to you to sign.
No idea is a good idea unless it comes out of managements mouth.
Staff moral was at an all time low when I left and continues to stay low.
Rotas are never out on time for you to plan your life, I believe that sometimes staff are having to ring management to find out what their shift is the following day!
There is little to no scope in promotion as unless you are in the "management friendship group" you don't stand a chance. I believe senior staff are scared of intelligent people because it highlights their own incompetence within their role.
How thera can justify the hourly wage is beyond me. Staff are dedicated to their important and somewhat challenging roles yet get paid peanuts. Despicable!
Pros
Individual tenants
Cons
Practically everything
8 November 2017

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience of working for Thera. We would like to speak with you about the issues you have raised and would be grateful if you could email us at info@thera.co.uk to discuss further.

Don’t go there
Support worker (Former Employee) –  South West30 September 2017
This company may have started off well with good intentions,but sadly have got too ambitious and too big,and have lost their way. They will tell you their ethos is making sure that people with disabilities can be leaders in society, and that everything is done with those supported in the centre,but thats not the case. There is little or no support from higher up management,and those directly above are running around like headless chickens due to unrealistic demands,overly high expectations and inadequate staff levels.Those of us on the frontline are never listened to,and there are continually more and more rules,red tape and impossible amounts of paperwork, meaning less time spent with the person you are working with,although the company expect you to work miracles and split yourself in half. Wages are poor,particularly in view of what the job entails,and we have had maybe 3-4 minimal payrises in7 years, and they act like they’ve given us a fortune when in reality we’re just into the living wage level this year, and if your wages and rota are correct more than 1 month in a row then be grateful,as no-one seems able to understand the new(since March) online system.We have been told outright lies constantly,and theres a total lack of communication-if you have a problem on shift you have very little chance of getting hold of your manager,as they never answer the phone,or are on holiday or off sick. Due to previous mismanagement(oh,sorry-that should have said ‘building programme’), finances have been cut back,we have lost what few extra perks we had(meals,sick pay and overtime),and  more... even our handover time has been removed,meaning staff are just supposed to walk straight out of the door at end of a sometimes difficult and long shift without a word to the next on duty apart from hello and goodbye,which none of us could do as we care,so almost always gave our time for free. Staff morale is so low that any good ones tend to leave due to the pressure and demands,and lack of support. Those that are recruited and stay are sadly less than suitable-I certainly wouldn’t want them caring for me or one of my relatives. The job,and shifts,suck you dry and leave you mentally drained due to long hours and little or no support,and if you expect any gratitude or appreciation for loyalty,going above and beyond(a regular occurance), or any other form of extra work they wangle out of you, then you’ll be waiting a long time. They will try and tell you that its no different working for any other company,but actually it is-there are plenty out there who pay better,and have much more reasonable conditions. Yes,the work is hard and emotional due to its nature,but if you are treated well and paid properly, its worth it and rewarding. A happy workforce is a productive-and loyal-workforce. None of these apply to Thera.  less
Pros
Cons
Long, long hours, appalling lack if support from management, continuous broken promises and lies
4 October 2017

I am sorry to hear that you feel this was your experience of working for Thera South West and in the interest of ensuring that we take action on the points you have raised I would like to ask you to contact me directly at info@thera.co.uk. We always try to speak to people who leave the organisation and those who join us, to discuss their experiences, so we can make improvements and can only apologise if you did not have this opportunity.
Kind regards Managing Director, Thera South West

Administration Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire30 September 2017
Fantastic team. Responsive with a good sense of humour and some creative thinking. Resources were maybe an issue at times, so prioritising work is the key.

Hardest part was leaving the organisation.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Not so nice wages
25 October 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are pleased you enjoyed working with Thera!

Excellent Opportunities
TC (Current Employee) –  South West3 July 2017
A Typical Day at work would see me following detailed Documentation. Learnt a lot about epilepsy, different learning disabilities and Autism through indepth training. Excellent Management team and structure. I enjoying seeing the difference in peoples lives and progression that is made.
Pros
Seeing a Difference in Peoples Lives
7 July 2017

We're pleased to hear that you are enjoying working for Thera! Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Example of discrimination at its finest
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester29 May 2017
I having a disability and religious was the constant target of both staff and management for abuse. My belongings were vandalized, I was mocked, and management caused me to have a nervous breakdown due to poor training and an abusive attitude towards me.

I have never seen such a shoddy mismanaged, misguided company.

I would have expected better, from a company that is owned by people who have disabilities.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Staff
7 July 2017

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience of working for Thera. We would like to discuss your concerns further, please could you get in touch with us at: info@thera.co.uk

unpredictable
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Norfolk9 May 2017
If you want
long hours,
messed up rotas,
unsupportive management,
non use of agency staff so you end up with longer hours,
Disciplinaries for some and not others,
Poor training style,
No breaks,
Then this company is for you!

Not all bad, service users mostly brilliant, when not throwing accusations about, and some staff members are now great friends.

Good experience on how not to do things in the future.
Pros
some great friends and supported holidays
Cons
hours, paperwork, management.
7 July 2017

Such a great place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire27 January 2017
I've been with Thera East Anglia for couple of years having previously worked for other support providers around the area and I'm here to stay.
I love this company!
Pay has just gone up to over £8 per hour which is quite good. Let's face it, if you wanted to be a millionaire you wouldnt get into care in the first place!
Managers and Senior Managers are always around if you need them. I know that if I had a problem at 10 o clock on a Saturday night my manager would answer the phone and help me if I needed it.
I've met some amazing, dedicated people, both my colleagues and the people we support.
Just implemented this new online system for timesheets and expenses which is really clever.
Can't say enough good things about this company.
Pros
Rest of the staff, great managers, people supported
Cons
Having to work weekends
7 July 2017

We're glad to hear that you love working for Thera! Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

Superb values, well-led company.
Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire9 January 2017
A typical day at work involves visiting people who live in their own houses with support from staff teams; answering emails and meeting managers, talking to colleagues, delivering staff training, and planning and delivering quality auditing visits.

I have learned what it is to work for a company where people with learning disabilities really do lead the company, check its quality and have a real say.

The company is well led, with managers who believe in the values of the organisation.

The hardest part of the job is the fact that recruitment is a challenge in this line of work. But once people come to work for Thera, they tend to love it.
7 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Thera!

Long term rewarding career
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire6 January 2017
Tomorrow 7/1/17 will mark my 15 year anniversary with the company . I started as a support worker and am now a team coordinator helping to oversee a great staff team , and work with an amazing group of adults with learning disabilities .
Over the years many changes have occurred and I have been fortunate enough to work at a variety of different supports , all of which provide excellent support and opportunities for those individuals we support .
There are not many jobs in which you will learn something new everyday , and that you have the opportunity to help transform lives !
Whilst experience is great , this is a job in which anybody could walk into , as the company provides training throughout employment , and we all learn daily !
Pros
To know we are helping transform lives, and take the Dis out of Disability, and enable to to be able !
Cons
Shift patterns can be difficult .
7 July 2017

Congratulations on your 15th anniversary of working with Thera!

Not good to work gor
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  East Midlands20 September 2016
What can I say apart from the management from team coordinater community support leader and manager all go out socially. I didn't feel I could speak about my concerns over the management. Forever putting you on long days while others get the shifts they want. Offer other staff guaranteed senior positions by having fake interviews when they already have the person picked before interviews. There not interested in you reporting people who are lazy. No job satisfaction
Pros
The people i supported
Cons
Long hours no support for the staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thera Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7