Thera Trust Employee Reviews

Awful. Steer clear
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire18 October 2019
A clear disrespect for service users in some areas, but others are brilliant. Very hit and miss. Avoid as unless you find yourself working in just the right place, you'll hate it and find everyone talking and gossiping about you. Very two faced staff. No support from management. Bullying tactics to get you to do more shifts. AVOID AVOID AVOID. Find a better company. Didnt receive much training at all when it was first support job. Just thrown right in
Bit of dead end
Worker (Former Employee) –  Anglia12 October 2019
Where support work is carried out:- You will find a closed circle of friends, extending into the management structure, look after each other.
You will need to leave any ethics to one side and do what it takes to be accepted; then you may be offered opportunities and given choices once you get through your initiation.
Failing this you will probably find the company has nothing to offer you. Just the chance to give support to continuously challenging individuals whilst other workers leave you to it, who are interested and keen only when an opportunity arises to take some credit.
Pros
Chance to loose weight and sleep
Cons
Flat pay rate, everything, bank holidays etc
Awful company, don't care about it's staff or the service users
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire6 October 2019
When I first started I enjoyed working for Thera there was a lot of flaws but also a lot of pros. My CSL at the time was amazing but wasn't supported enough by her higher ups. Since she has left it's been run by clowns. If you are Ill either physically or mentally don't expect any support. I was off ill with my mental health and received no support when coming back to work, instead constant phone calls, texts etc about if I could do this shift or that shift. My mental health has seriously declined because of Thera. service users aren't considered at all where staffing is concerned, we have mainly male staff that can't work with the female service users and that's because 8 staff have left in the last year! Kept being promised that things would get better, but instead they got worse! Had meetings with higher ups such as the ops manager about how we felt and the whole time he just say there with a smug look on his face, he turned up late for the meeting then promised that things would get sorted such as flexible working contract's, that never happened either. 1 staff member got I'll on shift and was told by the hospital that they needed to get there within the hour, the CSL wouldn't find cover and couldn't care less. The CSL would pretend to be your best friend and bribe you with money and nominating you for employee of the month if you did something for him but if you didn't he wouldn't do anything for you, he'd ignore messages etc. The worst of it is, is that because of the actions from the higher ups the service users suffered! Please think twice before joining Thera.
Don’t even think about applying!
Former support worker (Former Employee) –  Essex14 September 2019
I worked for Thera for three years then for eighteen months as a relief. I stayed as relief due to the service users, who are great to work with. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about the company. The manager has a child and works only rarely at the support house, never on direct support. Supervisions are only done infrequently and then only if the manager has something to accuse you rotas are messed up and staff work long days then a sleep then work the next day - even driving service users after a bad nights sleep which is dangerous. Manager promotes favourites and dislikes staff with knowledge and tries to get rid of them. Awful culture of blame with or
Great charity with a good ethos
Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire4 September 2019
I enjoyed my time at Thera. I gained a lot of experience and worked with a very good team of people. Management of my department changed frequently and staff were made to feel poor performance of the organisation was their fault. Given the right management this can be a good place to work

Hello,

We're really glad you enjoyed your time working for Thera! If at any point you feel you would like to return please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best of luck for your future career plans,

Thera Group.

Team Coordinators and CSL useless
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Northampton1 September 2019
The management are absolutely useless you rarely get any support from them and are expected to work ridiculous hours for them they do not care if you have kids but its ok for them to bring their kids to work or work from home due to childcare issues but they wont ever do the same for you then they screw up the wages and mess rota’s all the time.
Northampton TC Aand CSL ARE USELESS

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you feel like this about your time working for the Thera Group. We take all concerns seriously from both current staff and leavers, therefore If you would like to contact a member of the HR team on 0300 303 1280 to enable us to investigate your concerns further.

One of the worst places I've worked
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Essex29 August 2019
Honestly don't know where to begin. Management was utterly useless. It's very much a thankless job and management are more likely to try and tell you how much you are doing wrong despite barely spending any time actually working a support shift. Favoritism was rampant and if you werent a favourite then you were in for a rough time. Management and upper management are all friends so complaints get brushed under the carpet. Also never fall pregnant while working here you will get 0 support.

An abomination of a job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  East27 August 2019
Treatment of staff abysmal
Various incidents of nepotism in management
Serious conflict of interests being ignored
Do not apply!
Go elsewhere!

DBS included
28 August 2019

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience of working at Thera. We value reviews from our former and current staff and would be keen to understand more. We would appreciate it if you could contact our HR department on HRadmin@thera.co.uk or 0300 303 1280 so that we can discuss your views further and improve the experience for our staff.

Support worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge21 August 2019
Brilliant company to work for managers very polite and will always try to help you if needed, salary i feel is okay, I worked 16 hours and my shifts were always fitted round my child due to being a single parent
Wouldn't touch with a barge pole
Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire11 August 2019
Terrible organisation. An MD who claims they want to improve standards for the work force but is quite happy for the staff to basically live at work due to staffing shortages. Staff are working excessive hours because agency use is not permitted.
Staff training is an absolute travesty. Poorly prepared work books, and you are expected to cover several subjects in one session. It's just a box ticking excercise.
I have worked for the organisation for several years and I can honestly say the culture and staff morale has never been worse.
Don't expect to be supported by HR either. Some of them seem to be in the MDs pocket .
For just a few pence above minimum wage you'd be better off stacking biscuits in a supermarket.
And dont even start me on the staff sleep in rate. Just over £26 for a sleep in, when other companies are paying more than double that!
You give you heart and soul for the company and they just dont seem to appreciate your efforts .
Worst senior management I have experienced in years.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Where do i start?
15 August 2019

Hello,

We're really sorry to hear you feel like this about your time working for the Thera Group. If you would like to contact a member of the HR team on 0300 303 1280 we would be happy to investigate your concerns further.

I feel this is a good company to work for
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough9 August 2019
I have been working for Thera in Peterborough for 5 months and overall I would say it is a good company to work for. You do not have to pay for your own DBS, you get very good training. There is NO bullying here. I left a job after 14 years as I was bullied by a manager but I very much doubt this would happen here.

The people that work here are very dedicated indeed. Yes there are long hours and the money is not great, but this is care. The residents we get to support are brilliant and appreciate their carers. We get to do fun things with our residents as they are all social and love going to discos, cinema, bowling, sailing and their various activities.

What I also found appealing when looking for a job was that Thera is a registered charity and any surplus money that is left over at the end of the tax year is given to other charity organisations that work with Thera.
Pros
Great residents to support.
Cons
Pay not great and the pay for a sleep-in is very low compared to other companies.
Your face has to fit
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Melksham5 August 2019
Not a nice company to work for. You are told different to what actually happens by management. Would never ask to return to them at any time, best to stay with agency !
Pros
Cons
To many to put down
15 August 2019

Hello,

Rubish on call, module style training poinless. No recognition for N.V.Q's no sick pay. Company cant even stretch refreshments. no breaks
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Thera East anglia4 August 2019
When i first started we had sick pay. I have an illness and struggle because i do not feel the company is geared up for workforse with disabilities only paying clients with disabilities. There is no recognition for your qualifications you gain. Pay is diabolical for offten being attacked by service users, but not all services within Thera have this go on.
On call is a total waste of time and does not work.
5 August 2019

Awful
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness10 July 2019
I ended up joining the company as they took over the service I was working at. Think I lasted up to 6 months and that was only because I loved working with the clients i had. When they took over, we had asked for them to hire some experienced staff as the individuals were very complex, and the people they hired had 0 interest in the job role and even with lots of shadowing shifts, they were obviously not cut out to work with these clients. The majority of the managers were awful. The team coordinator who was in charge of rota was useless, I'd always be stuck working every weekend-I dont mind weekend work but would be nice to atleast have 1 off every few weeks like every other person appeared to have. They would also change your shifts with less than 24hours notice and would go mental if you dared say you couldn't work it due to appointments etc meaning I'd have to cancel or rearrange things at last moment sometimes causing me to pay for these appointments due to cancelling less than 24hours notice. When on shift and you wanted to speak to said managers they would go to the other services and then see who was on shift and would avoid the house knowing you wanted to speak to them. There was unprofessionalism between 2 managers and then 1 manager wrote about all this in communication books in all services, which To me shouldn't have been documented there as it was not relevant to the service or the clients. Even though I was contracted for 39 hours when they took over the team coordinator would have me down for 20 hours as they have hired too many staff for the service. When questioned  more... was told not to worry ad would get paid for the 39. I obviously explained that I dont want to owe anyone hours and I wasnt on a thera contract then so I should be working the 39 regardless. I had also asked them to split me between 2 of the services, as I had already worked in a few, so I could have a break from one service which i was told yes next rota we will do that. That never happened, even though i had said every month to them. They would be bad mouthing staff to other staff not realising that we all spoke and would know what was being said. There was no chance for progression unless you fitted their vision of what a good staff member was. Which was someone who would just do what they said no questions asked rather than someone who would actually do stuff to the benefit of the services and be fair to the current staff. When some staff made little mistakes they would be reprimanded but if other staff did worse mistakes nothing would happen. When I handed my notice in, i had a manager say i was being manipulated by other staff and that's why i was leaving. I had told them I was very unhappy about how they've handled the service and that they had fed us all these promises about making the services better and treating staff with respect etc. I was also told I owed them hours and that would come off my final wage, and when i questioned that and provided proof that I didnt as I had actually done more hours than they've actually paid me for- as they dont pay overtime- they dropped it.
There is very little decent support services to work for in inverness but I'd reccomend them more than working for thera. They have 0 clue on how to support their staff which in turn affects the clients that they have.
Pros
The clients
5 August 2019

Toxic and unproffesional
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Highlands5 July 2019
Worst job i have ever had, they will literally hire anyone staff are just numbers, no experience needed more like wanted as with experience you will notice all the majorly wrong factors of this company which they don't like or seem to want to do anything to improve, bullying in the workplace seems to be tolerated, bad standards in moving and handling/positioning, medication, medication training is shocking or not given at all so if you have knowledge or experience
In this expect everything to be left to you to fix/do as nothing will be done to improve staffs knowledge or confidence in this.extremely poor communication, basic food safety/hygiene, no person centred or person specific training given and you will be expected to work with adults who have complexed needs meaning they pws do not receive good or correct /appropriate support to suit their needs this so do not expect support if you as a staff member have any mental health struggles or disabilities they wont even see your op health info as head
Office decides without even knowing you what is or isnt important in providing support for you in the workplace, as for the way staff are also treated very poor , made to feel bad if you don't do overtime at short notice often getting no choice due to staff sickness or not turning up more disciplinary action would reduce this as many are clearly taking advantage, bullying in the workplace not helped by so many staff being allowed to stand around not doing their job, you will receive minimal to no support from management, meaning cover shifts yourself even being told if you are
  more... genuinely sick you are expected to cover your own shift yourself even though this is managements job,half the management wont answer phones more so at weekends and on call is hopeless as they are people who dont even work in your service,have copy of rota or even know your pws, meaning you are left with the rota during time you should be attending to pws needs. You can get a management position simply by turning up when you should nothing appears to be required to fill these positions meaning half the ones higher up running the place haven't got a clue! Even if you are completely loyal to this company you are guaranteed to be screwed over when you have the sense to leave. I was lied to about how much annual leave entitlement was left when their was a monthd notice given for this information to be recieved and short shifted ,also company not Honouring contracted hours and not actioning request to lower contract due to their failure to provide hours other than expecting me to work my days off when have sometimes been on 10+ days in a row! leaving me with most of my final wage being taken from me meaning no wage for a month. This company will take no responsibility for their breeching of contracts! Do not expect to feel appreciated for anything you do instead the more you do the more they will expect and the more the lazy staff will get away with not doing as it seems to be accepted as long as someone is doing it regardless of who!! Those who arent doing it are too busy going out for runs in cars or lunches out which is nice to get pws out but not to extent basic needs are not being met non drivers you will be expected to do all the work!

If you care and are passionate about working in care/support avoid this company as you are at risk of tarring your hard earned reputation by working for them!
Pros
Struggling to think of any
Cons
Too many to list
8 July 2019

Hello,

Nothing good about this company
Worker (Former Employee) –  England7 June 2019
No support
Lack of benefits
Deduct pay for no reason
Awful managers
Waste of 3 years working for them loads of broken promises
Good reviews are from managers only because they ask all employee to complete reviews
Cons
Min wage

Hello,

Person centred company who focus on care
Community support leader (Current Employee) –  Nottingham3 June 2019
I have worked for many care companies during my employment. Out of all care conpanies i have worked for thera trust has been the most person centered. Thera trust place the people supported ar the centre of everything they do and host regular inclusion and voice days where the people using the service can decide how the service should be run. Thera trust really do hold true to their vision for people being supported to become leaders in the community and in there own lives. Thera pay great in comparrison to other providers i have worked for in the same role and have staff benifit schemes available. As a current thera employee i feel fully supported by the higher management team and operational manager. I think that anyone who values making a difference should consider working for thera. As a new employee i was given training relevant to my role and was suported to be fully inducted into my service. Thera provided me with all relevant training and support to be able to make a difference in my new role. I have now worked for thera for 6 months and could not be happier with my decision to apply for a role with thera.
Pros
Supportive management team, good wage, good company values
Cons
Nothing!
Absolutely awful.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire20 May 2019
If I could put 0 stars then I would. All I can say is if you know what’s good for you then DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. In less than a year and a half I have seen 5+ members of staff pushed out just because their faces don’t fit. This includes support workers, tc’s and csl’s. Higher management is an absolute disgrace. The support system in place is non existent. The work hours are diabolical - 60/70 hrs a week and no recognition for hard work.
The only good thing I can say about this company is that the CSL was absolutely amazing at her job and an absolute credit to the care industry. It’s just a shame that she’s working for such an awful company. If you have a doctors sick note you’re promised support when returning, I have yet to witness any of this support. I have worked both as relief, part time and full time and I honestly cannot think of any positives to working for Thera.
Pros
People supported and CSL
Cons
Absolutely everything about Thera.
10 June 2019

A company whos vision is at heart of everything it does.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands15 May 2019
Since joining Thera Trust I can honestly say that I have never worked for an organisation who strives so hard to ensure their vision and the people supported are at the forefront of all decisions.

The senior management team are helpful and friendly. The support services are on hand for any advice needed. The front line staff care deeply and go above and beyond.

Despite the funding problems faced in social care, Thera still ensured all staff (front line and management) received a pay increase in April. This is on top of two other pay raises in the past 18 months.

Staff are rewarded for long service and the MD sends out personal recognition to staff who go above and beyond their role. I have never known an organisation take so much time to ensure all staff feel valued.

The people supported by the organisation get exceptional care and I am very proud to associate myself with Thera.
Pros
Great vision and stafd recognition
Cons
Awful company, awful working conditions.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Devon1 May 2019
You support people in the community and they want to go for a drink, you have to buy your own. Some clients want to do this three or four times a day. It gets expensive on a job that pays minimum wage, or just over.

There is no support network or debriefs after any incidences. No cover if you get attacked and all in all, they treat staff appallingly.
Pros
Helping clients
Cons
Thera
10 June 2019

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thera Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7