The Works Stores Ltd

The Works Stores Ltd Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom444 reviews
Good experience very nice clean an helpful but not enough tea breakes . Should be more overtime .Shoul get paid travel expenses.Would like to work there again.
I very much enjoy my job,I'm calm and happy, always happy and excited to head to work. My manager is supporting of family life,fair and straight talking. I enjoy interacting with my customers and my jobs,iv learned so much and will continue to do so. Great benefits to working with this company.
Friendly atmosphere, relaxed yet fast paced, customers are usually kind. Other than the pay it’s a good job, however would not recommend for a long time career.
Pros
Friendly staff. Friendly customers . 50% off at Christmas and 25% off for rest of year.
Cons
Salary. Holiday hours.
Brilliant job
But contracted hours are bad .
Only get a 8 hour contract , one month could work 30-40 hours per week and next month could work 8 hours per week .
Being a sales assistant is great but once you work your way up to management it becomes awful. All the company cares about is money, they could not care less about their staff. You are expected to do so much in such little time. There is never any praise when you’ve done good, they only take note of the bad. Area managers always have their favourites too. Your contract is not secure either, they can cut your hours whenever they feel like it
20 January 2020
Whilst it is not a positive review, we still thank you for taking the time to highlight your points to us.

We really do pride ourselves on creating a positive environment in our stores, and certainly praising where it is due.

As for contracts, they are legally binding a very secure. As a manager you would have a full time contract, where we would not be able to reduce these hours.
If you value your sanity and a life outside of work, do not bother applying! I was there for just over a year, which is one year too much in my opinion! Here is why:

The area manager is a complete joke! Not interested in her staff at all, unless your one of her favourite stores! The way she has treated some of the people I know of who also work in the Company, has been horrendous! Only calls or visit shops to pick faults or complain about things, no praise what so ever! Furthermore, she doesn’t even listen, very quick to criticise but not to listen and praise good work. I have a lot more I can say on this individual, but why waste anymore words, she wouldn’t listen anyway.

Targets are unrealistic and stressful. Scraped over the coals literally if you are not reaching their ideals! They won't except any excuse, even if there is a genuine reason (weather, summer events, road closures etc.) Don’t they understand that Britain is currently in a financial turning point? Maybe if they brought in stuff that people wanted instead of ‘poo’ related products, then I’m sure they’d do better.

Even though it says progression, forget it, it doesn't exist. I've known many staff members who have applied to progress, but they have all been rejected, because their face doesn't fit. If you speak out against anything, then you become like the black sheep!

They want you to focus on customers, but then they send you 5-6 pallets of stock a week, plus promotional changes, which you only have around 3 days to do, (normally ready for a Monday) but you aren't allowed to complete them on the - more...
Iv worked at the works for 5 years and I enjoy my job the staff are more like a little family we always work together as a team. Over time is always offered it's up to you if you take it or not.
Pros
Wage, holidays, hours
Cons
No cons
I am enjoying working at the Works it is a fast paced work environment, and has many roles and responsibilities but it doesn't provide the amount of hours i require.
i am looking for something different at this stage! i feel i can be more productive in a better paid job, as the wages can be very down heartning for the responsibility of running a very busy shop
Pros
good discount
Cons
very hard work
it was a fun enjoyable job with friendly staff just had awful pay. £4.56 was not enough for me and i struggled with the pay i was getting. also wish it was weekly pay as that always helps. around 10-20% discount in store and online was decent
This job is great short term, but long term its rubbish. Manager has no clue how to effectively run a store with fair hours for staff, and there is often favouritism when it comes to shift changes and extra hours.

Too goal oriented, they claim theres not enough in the budget for more hours yet they have the money to hire someone new
The new store manager is a breath of fresh air, he’s turned the store round in a short period of time, the sales have increased massively and it’s a much more enjoyable place to work. The staffs moral is so positive you can see that they are more enthusiastic about there jobs. He always take the time to make sure his staff are happy and whenever there is positive feedback from the big bosses he never takes the praise himself he says it’s all a team effort. Everyone store needs a manager like this one!!!
23 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

It is great to receive such great feedback!
Worked at the works in a few different stores over the span of 6 years whilst I was at college and university and hated every single shift I did. They operate on skeleton staff so that they can keep their prices low, which means as a sales assistant you can expect to be stood on the till for your entire 9 hour shift by yourself, or alternatively, helping to unload heavy boxes from the delivery. There's little respect for customers with managers making you take delivery out by the trolley full and dumping on the shop floor ready to be merchandised, making it a safety hazard for customers to get around the store. They offer no training, no appraisals, no career development opportunities, berate you for not meeting insane targets given the utter rubbish they sell, but will never ever praise you for getting things right. Management were extremely selective with rotas - making sure they never had to work a weekend but the same low paid staff were always in on both Saturday and Sunday. The only good thing I'll say for the works is that it'll really teach you how to graft, but I'm sure you could learn that in a myriad of more supportive environments. Terrible company. (Oh also, forget health and safety. I regularly had to climb a ladder to change signage and was unable to have anybody hold the bottom of the ladder because the only other staff member on shift had to be on the till
23 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and your valued service over a 6 year period. It is such a shame that "every single shift" during this time was hated by yourself.

We will take on board your comments.
23 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for your 6 years service.

We do try to offer the flexibility of shifts to support students at college and university. We are very sad to hear that during your 6 years with us, you "hated every single shift".

We appreciate that not everyone has the opportunity to progress, but we are equally very proud that over the last 12 months we have promoted over 400 colleagues at The Works. Of course, we can improve on this.

We will most certainly be taking your comments on board.
The amount of hours is ridiculous. i only get paid £6.15 an hour, yes thats minimum wage but you do not get enough hours. They are not consistent in the slightest. i could get 10 hours one week then 4 hours the next. It is not beneficial at all. On the plus side we do get to meet a range of different customers who are fun to engage with which is the most enjoyable part of this job.
23 September 2019
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

As with most companies in retail, the labour hours can be very difficult to manage. It would seem on this occasion that the flexibility required isn't helping you.

Please do speak to your Store Manager or People Partner to help you with this.
Great place to work, the management are really down to earth and friendly. Definitely keep you busy and no two days are the same. Loads of different types of customers so you're bound to hear a few interesting stories.
Minimum wage however so not ideal.
Pros
Healthcare and employee assistance scheme, 25% staff discount
Cons
Not always guaranteed the same hours
A typical day would include being left on the shop floor either by yourself or with one other person whilst management sits in the back and converse with each other.
Management can come across as pushy and/or demanding at times, especially when it comes to loyalty sign-ups.

Benefits are minimal - customers and staff both used to get 20% off and when staff complained they reduced the customer discount instead of increasing staff discount.
Wether it's a decent working atmosphere depends on who you work with but most of the people they hire are friendly and team orientated.

However, the sales assistants only have a four hour a week contract which doesn't give much job security or even a guarantee of a wage you would be able to live on.
It is also hard to get 30-40 hours a week on your rota which is the minimum of hours you would need to earn enough to live on as it pays minimum wage.
Till Teller/ Loyalty cards.
Like some companies The Works makes their employees reach individual sales targets and loyalty card sign ups. However they are unfairly graded and the products they try to get you to sell are terrible and no one wants them. Servers who are on the till the most do the worst where as employees who serve the least will have the most 'till tellers' because they either completely avoid going on the till to ensure their score doesn't go down or they will buy their on till tellers on their own accounts.
Employees get scored daily, and if you do not achieve the impossible targets of 1 in 3 customers (1 in 1 at Christmas) you will be told you're not good enough and given informal meetings which lead to disciplinary action and being told frequently that you are at risk of losing your job. When I've previously been unable to reach target, I have been encouraged to purchase my own till tellers to improve my score.
Whilst serving customers employees also have a 'script' with questions that you have to ask them, which include, till teller up sell, loyalty card enquiry, loyalty card up sell, bag up sell, linked product up sell, ensuring they found everything they needed - any other promotional items behind the counter. Whilst I agree a store card and linked sales may be important - but if you have to ask every customer all these questions it does cause queues and makes customers frustrated.

Tasking.

The Works is a fast paced environment like many discount retailers, theres a lot of tasking to complete, which is fine if you like to keep busy, but not all employees
 - more...
Pros
Discount is okay.
Cons
All of the above listed.
Not a good company to work for, always want to cut back on staff but still want all tasks achieved. Christmas time, husbands and partners were working early hours to achieve tasks set and were being labelled as un paid Labour ! Absolute disgrace...
Pros
Cons
Long working hours, no support from senior management
The work load that you have to do every single day is laborious. You dont get paid enough for how hard you work. Every single day you have to unpack products from boxes and put them out on the shelves. A lot of it is heavy and it’s never ending. Not to mention you can’t even pick up extra hours if need be. Its just an overall cheap store. Cheap products and cheap bosses. Oh not to mention they cut your hours then say they can’t give you maternity pay because you don’t work enough hours.
Pros
Cons
No extra hours, too much for little pay
Massive deliveries to deal with on skeleton staff. Big unrealistic budgets so bonuses unreachable. Lack of genuine support from area managers. Staff lovely down to earth. Too many promotional changes.
Broken promises. Pay rises other jobs .

Good training
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Longs hours, pressure, inconsistent management, big deliveries, budget cuts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Works Stores Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8