The Works Stores Ltd Management reviews

Stupid and unrealistic
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denton, Greater Manchester24 October 2018
Sum it up in one line: the sales assistant will always get the blame.
Whether it's not getting rid of 8292 "rewards" cards a minute or selling some pens to people who dont want it.
SOME memebers of staff are very nice others can be horrible especially to someone with learning difficulties like myself
Pros
SOME of the staff are nice
Cons
The other are twats, abuse you for stuff you cant help
Management Poor(store specific)
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire19 September 2018
Can only progress through the ranks if your manager allows you to regardless if your capable. If you’re good at your job you are deemed “not ready”...to aid the store in being a success and making the manager look good.

Operational structure is solid however unless your a senior manager, you don’t count nor does your opinion.
Pros
Cons
Bad management/ grievances handled badly and bias
Not a great place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool4 September 2018
When i started working here i loved it! After many management changes it quickly went down hill.
Company want you to push loyalty cards and £1 sparkly pens onto every customer. Your performance will be reviewed constantly if you do not hit the ridiculously high targets.
Manager will expect you to get through a ridiculous amount of work whilst having 1 sales assistant and myself for 5 days. They will then come in, call in 5 more sales assistants and throw any blame onto me.
Manager will also stand at the till all day chatting while everyone else does all the hard work, not one bit of praise or thank you at the end of the day.
Higher management have no idea what is going on in store, all they are worried about is KPI boards and making the shop look perfect for a store visit. No interest in why staff are so miserable. They have an 'if they dont like it leave' approach.
Sales Assistants and assistant manager are the only reason i stayed so long as they are a joy to work with. Your job never feels safe and all you worry about is meeting unrealistic targets. Often left on shop floor alone as theres only 2 people working a day.
Pros
Sales Assistants, Customers.
Cons
Pay, low hour contracts, Management
Enjoyable work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside21 August 2018
I can honestly say my time at the works was very good. We were lucky as we had a manager who was very people management focused along with customer service focus and organizational skills. I started 2016 and had a few manager's however we had a new one in September 2017 and thing's really changed for the better. I received excellent training and development from the manager and the shop just went from strength the only reason I left was I went into full time work placement. I would highly recommend the company great discounts and a very fun environment we worked. However I can understand some of the reviews as before the current manager it was not good. I can only say if you get a manager like we did who cares about the staff and customers and the company then you will enjoy it. I can only say that while I worked there it was a pleasure and enjoyed every moment and having a experienced manager really shows.
Pros
Team work and great staff
Cons
Worst company I've ever worked for.
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn23 July 2018
Understaffed, unorganised, no consideration or appreciation for staff, poor management, unreliable staff. The list goes on! I highly recommend no one applies for this position! Dead end job that gets you no where.
Pros
Cons
All aspects
Returning manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Northamptonshire27 June 2018
I worked as a manager for the company 20 years ago and returned last year to them. I'm successfully running my own store and I would say hand on heart they are one of the best companies I've ever worked for. The job is hard work but only as hard as you make it. Get yourself a good strong team of likeminded people beside you and it makes working days easier. You need to be good at time management and prioritization as without these skills you will struggle. Plan working days accordingly.
Great holiday entitlement. 20% discount. Not the greatest of salaries but certainly in line with the norm. I'm not forced to do anymore than my contracted hours and if I choose to do extras that's off my own back an certainly not expected. They are a great company to work for and have great training so no one is just thrown in.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
More staff would help.
Underpaid, overworked, no respect
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire25 May 2018
Managers stayed on their breaks for 2-3hrs instead of the 1 that they were designated, constant coffee breaks and somehow we were 4 weeks behind on Admin despite the breaks being for admin work

The Business model within the company is not about how good you are. You could be the best and you will not progress because it is about who you know as opposed to how competent you are. One of the managers could not process a return despite being there for over 2 months. They will go out of their way to not be on the Shopfloor and then complain when a 4 person job took longer when only 3 people were doing because they (the manager) had decided to leave it to the shop assistants.

The amount of work required to do to keep the shop stable with minimum staff is not worth the minimum wage that you will be paid. One of the reasons the company is “doing well financially” is because of the cost cutting of staff wages. Most the staff are young students who don’t mind working for £4.50 an hr for 5-7hrs a week because its better than nothing but then the jump is to a Supervisor who’s doing 16-36 hrs a week. There is no middle ground. Its not a sustainable job unless you are in some form of management.

There is no respect from the system top down. Area Managers congratulate Store Managers for doing a good job when, in reality, the Sales Assistants were the ones bending over backwards to get the job done but the Sales Assistants get no thanks for what they did. This is mainly visible during the Xmas period.

All in all…avoid this company. It won’t stand by you in the future. The only
  more... good thing about the company is the staff who are on your level, ie Sales Assistants, recognise the struggle and band together. Money isnt worth it, the work isnt fulfilling, the customers find the smallest thing to complain about, the Management is atrocious.  less
Pros
Sales Assistants are nice
Cons
Minimum wage, overworked, lack of respect from management
Management is awful
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anonymous7 May 2018
I have worked here for nearly two years and for the first year the manager was amazing then we got a new manager and they do nothing to help you they favour one staff member and contradict themselves on a daily basis. They also never know what to do and constantly ask what to do. All the staff morale has gone since they came and it is not a nice happy place to work anymore I used to love going to work but not so much anymore. I also have to set up most of the promotions and so does my assistant manager as the manager just can’t be bothered. All the manager does is stand at the till and gossip and if their friends come in they get you to serve and carry on talking.
Pros
Colleagues are like friends. Lovely customers
Cons
Manager. Pay. Constant promotion changes
Not a good place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex25 April 2018
Basic training. Fined £300 for leaving before the first year. Strict discipline culture. No support. Unprofessional. Worst mistake I ever made. Avoid.
Pros
Cons
Fined £300 for leaving early. Inferior training. Poor work environment. Everything.
Treated like slaves
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire3 April 2018
If you don't have a certain look they won't hire you. If you aren't a yes man who agrees with every stupid decision made by head office etc you won't last long. If you're loyal and work for them for a long time they will get bored and decide they want a new face and simply replace you.
I was often told I had to work on my days off unpaid yet when I said anything it was denied. Awful company who don't care about the people on the shop floor who make the stores what they are.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, expected to work for free
Worst Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire4 March 2018
The hardest part of the job is the sheer amount you are expected to do for little to none salary, you are forced to work with minimum staff and still manage sometimes 9 pallets of delivery, merchandise the shop, day to day runnings, training, customer service,lunches,management duties

The company also persist on forcing staff to do unpaid overtime, they have been fined once already for having staff work under national minimum wage, and with recent findings they will be fined again.

Head office seem to be bullies, complete discrimination for age, and mental disabilities,'pushing' staff to leave who suffer from anxiety, depression etc and told not to hire people with these conditions.

No support from your team
General backstabbing
Everyone will throw you under the bus for a promotion
Low pay
Pros
Cons
extremely low pay, work load, company values
Meh
Key Holding Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 February 2018
Minimum wage with no overtime pay.
Not great management but some advancement opertunities. Very strict on uniform especially hair colour and tattoos showing.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Long shifts
Supportive environment, with potential to progress
Sales Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth11 December 2017
Great team, with supportive management. Enjoyable role. Liaising with customers & other stores. Ensuring customer satisfaction. Challenging but extremely rewarding.
Pros
Staff discount and offers
Cons
Not able to secure more hours
Omg
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 November 2017
The Works Stores should be The Worse Place
the worse place i ve been work ever. warehouse in Minworth. poore management treat you as animals, always stres_if You dont pick enough you could loose your job. wow honestly the baddest place i ever work and i dont wish to anybody work there. was working there 4 years ago_ hope now is better there. money was also bad_minimum wage
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
management not good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland22 November 2017
I had a terrible time with a manager, all she done was sit in an office and the staff wouldnt listen and wouldnt put out stock all they wanted to do was stand behind a till.. the area manager at the time was just as bad, he wouldnt listen when i brought up my problems so after getting a job that i always wanted i couldnt continue with it because of the management team.
Pros
50% off at christmans
Cons
terrible manager and area manager
hardwork but fun
branch manager (Former Employee) –  nuneaton23 August 2017
people within the company are generally nice however the hours are long within the management boundaries. Customer service is hard to maintain to a high standard with the heavy workload and general staff rotas.
Pros
creative freedom
Fantastic company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen21 July 2017
Best company I've worked for, the career progression for colleagues is great. Valued by my boss and encouraged to make decisions to grow your own team. Salary fits role.
Pros
Hours, breaks, management, salary
Awful, greedy, selfish company!!!!!!!!
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire19 July 2017
This company has got to be the worst company to work for ever!!!! They put their staff at risk by encouraging LONE working to save on staff. There is a reason why their prices are so cheap!!! Stuff are under constant pressure to achieve unrealistic targets on a everyday basis. Customers walk out because they are not getting a good customer experience as having only one person on the shopfloor can only serve one customer at a time. This company has no morals and do not care about the staff or customers as long as the money is ringing through the tills. A company that has not got a clue how to run a business. This is modern day slave labour happening. If the company hadoes a soul they would sell it to the devil himself!!!
Cons
Exhausting work days, poorly treated, always under pressure.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex10 July 2017
Manager was poorly treating staff, never came out of the back office except to have a cigarette break or to do a refund. Rude to customers and employees as well. Did not help to motivate staff and always made unnecessary comments toward staff members.
Cons
Poor management, Long hours
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham10 July 2017
A great store which provides employees with opportunities to develop key interpersonal skill sets. A fun workplace and friendly management and culture
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Small sized store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Works Stores Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.