The Works Stores Ltd Employee Reviews

Enjoyable workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire12 February 2019
I've been working for this company for about 6 years now as an assistant manager. The support I have been given from my area manager (area 24) has been brilliant. She is always there when I need her just a phone call away.

Not only that she works really hard, she has one of the most difficult and stressful jobs on the planet, I have nothing but respect for this lady.

I highly recommend coming to join us at The Works esp Area 24 you will love it, great team, fun and always supported
Worst company to work for,management is useless and not supportive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland8 February 2019
Not a good company to work for,they are always wanting to push loyalty cards for customers and if the customer says no to loyalty cards,add on sales then you get disaplined and accused of not doing your job properly. Management is always on your back for different things and get no support from them
Not a good place to work
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire8 February 2019
I worked for the company 2 years as an assistant manager i never been so unhappy. It took me 6months to get another job and I was straight out.
The area manager in area 24 is absolute bully and her attitude towards the members of staff is dreadful.
If it not been for this woman I would still be there today. The sales assistant are treated terrible and made to feel like there jobs are at risk if they can't successfully upsell products. Worse place I've ever worked. Was happy at first but slowly seen the true side of the upper management. Your get no thanks or appreciation. If you choice to work here your soon see.
Pros
Discount and lovey sales assistant that worked hard for me
Cons
Everything other then discount.
wage isn’t worth the work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 February 2019
minimum wage and not communication between the managers and the staff. Area Manager would change my shift without telling me. Left on the shop floor by myself for long periods on time, unable to do returns or retrieve click and collects. Training and staff was nice but they seem more focused on till tellers and loyalty rather than any other valuable skills.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no communication, minimum wage
Quiet workplace, peaceful time.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon6 February 2019
The works was a very enjoyable place to work due to a peaceful atmosphere and kind staff. Everyone was well taken care of, both customers and employees.
Pros
Peaceful, kind staff.
Cons
Slow traffic, sometimes periods where there wasn’t anything to do.
Amazing team, great job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Rowsley, Derbyshire5 February 2019
This is a fantastic company to work for, there’s always thing to be doing and with a great team around you that feels like family how can you not enjoy coming to work? Sure it’s target based but it’s a company after all they expect standards, you’re here to work!

The in store manager leads from the front, showing how the job can be done in a fun way whilst rewarding the team and this spreads. Highly recommend this company to anyone who wants a challenge but a great place to work.
Pros
The team, the variety
Cons
Can be quiet but that’s the local area
good for part time students, maybe
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire UK16 January 2019
The staff for the most part were sound, management had no idea what they were doing. either brand new fresh from a recently closed company, bringing in bad habits or been in the company for so long they were only motivated by targets without care for their staff.

I was there for 5 years, first 2-3 i had an awesome manager, wanting to get me trained up for supervisor, the second manager for the rest of my time there was indifferent. bringing in a new supervisor, threatening everyone with PIPs or loss of jobs just to keep their own.

The hours at first was good, then the company had a bad Christmas and the staff paid for it, going from 3-5 days to 2 at best.

After moving country, i joined up again and it seemed to have gotten worse, less hours, still minimum wage, higher expectations. they didn't seem to care about the staff, even management stated they were happy to "manage" staff out to bring in "the fresh meat"

The "training" is pitiful.. you sit at a computer, watch a few videos, answer common sense questions and you're done, trained up in things that do no affect you in your work.
Pros
20% off
Cons
pay, management, companies expectations
Amazing team and a valuable experience.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend8 January 2019
I'm currently employed as a sales assistant (Previously Seasonal but offered a permanent role) and I couldn't have dreamed of having such a perfect first job. The team are amazingly supportive and helpful, a very relaxed yet professional working environment. Christmas time was extremely busy but everyone pitches in and supports one another. Salary isn't ideal but it''s above minimum wage for my age group so I can't complain, but staff bonuses are a treat, especially in events which see staff getting up to 50% off. Management is very understanding with flexibility to give shifts around other aspects of our lives. Overall my experience has been brilliant and there's so little I can fault about it.
Pros
Generous breaks, amazing staff and flexible shift planning.
Cons
Low-ish pay for younger age groups.
Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset16 December 2018
Came as a Christmas temp, on a 4 hour contract. Was told at Christmas there would be plenty of overtime. What a joke that was. Area manager cuts hours each week. Bias in the workplace, other Christmas temp always got plenty more hours than I did due to having worked beforehand with store manager and being friends. Would always want to talk with manager and that never happened. Asked if I was going to be kept on, would hours I lost get replaced, no answer, until I got a letter saying I was moved to the 26th from 31st to finish earlier! They wanted me to work the 18th then nothing til the 26th. In the end I was getting 4 hours which i get that’s the contract, but over Christmas doesn’t say much good about the company. Small, cluttered store. Avoid. You also have to stay extra time if you are late, which 9/10 I wasn’t. Seriously, avoid it. The pay isn’t much and the hours aren’t either. You are really pressured to persuade customers for bags and loyalty cards.
Pros
Gave me something to do now and again for two months
Cons
Lack of overtime, odd hours, small contracts
Fun place to work.
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire25 October 2018
Staff in store feel like friends. Everyday is a laugh and never boring. Your always meeting new people and fresh faces. Good variety of jobs to keep you busy.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Sometimes very hectic Sundays
Stupid and unrealistic
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denton, Greater Manchester24 October 2018
Sum it up in one line: the sales assistant will always get the blame.
Whether it's not getting rid of 8292 "rewards" cards a minute or selling some pens to people who dont want it.
SOME memebers of staff are very nice others can be horrible especially to someone with learning difficulties like myself
Pros
SOME of the staff are nice
Cons
The other are twats, abuse you for stuff you cant help
Boring place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset23 October 2018
I worked here for a few days the job description does not match the job roles ..I applied for supervisor and I was more like a sales assistant ..not alot of training given .. pressuring customers to buy products from the tills and get every customer to have a points card monitored on if you have achieved this ..Quiet store not a lot of footfall ..
Pros
You do get a discount of 25%
Cons
Not enough training
Good starter job
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 October 2018
This was my first job in the UK. It's not much money, but easy to get contract. When the company moved to new warehouse that was far away from my home, I couldn't get to work anymore.
Busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon6 October 2018
Worked through the Christmas it was busy and chaotic. working mostly out on the shop floor and sometimes in the store room which was upstairs so carrying new stock to the store room was not fun.
Easy work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Erith1 October 2018
I was a 4 hour sales assistant but worked at lest 20 hours over time a week the training was great I got so much help and support with everything the customers and my colleagues were fun and great too! My manager was awesome the only thing that met that job down was the area manager who made it he/she life mission to make us miserable and gave us all 10x more pressure than what actually was needed I loved working there but you can live on 4hour contract
Pros
Great people easy and fun job
Cons
Not a lot of working hours
Management Poor(store specific)
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire19 September 2018
Can only progress through the ranks if your manager allows you to regardless if your capable. If you’re good at your job you are deemed “not ready”...to aid the store in being a success and making the manager look good.

Operational structure is solid however unless your a senior manager, you don’t count nor does your opinion.
Pros
Cons
Bad management/ grievances handled badly and bias
Not a great place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool4 September 2018
When i started working here i loved it! After many management changes it quickly went down hill.
Company want you to push loyalty cards and £1 sparkly pens onto every customer. Your performance will be reviewed constantly if you do not hit the ridiculously high targets.
Manager will expect you to get through a ridiculous amount of work whilst having 1 sales assistant and myself for 5 days. They will then come in, call in 5 more sales assistants and throw any blame onto me.
Manager will also stand at the till all day chatting while everyone else does all the hard work, not one bit of praise or thank you at the end of the day.
Higher management have no idea what is going on in store, all they are worried about is KPI boards and making the shop look perfect for a store visit. No interest in why staff are so miserable. They have an 'if they dont like it leave' approach.
Sales Assistants and assistant manager are the only reason i stayed so long as they are a joy to work with. Your job never feels safe and all you worry about is meeting unrealistic targets. Often left on shop floor alone as theres only 2 people working a day.
Pros
Sales Assistants, Customers.
Cons
Pay, low hour contracts, Management
Great staff poor support from high management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside13 August 2018
Well no support from area manager
Poor training I. E 11/20days of training done
Training file half done
Pros staff was good
Poor decision to join them
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Poor training, no support, area manager was waste of space
Not recommended
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Multiple27 July 2018
Was a good shop to work for until it changed and became more target driven and not caring about staff or customer any more. Some staff treated nicer than others.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No praise, put on report if dont meet ridiculous targets, treated like a machine not a person
Worst company I've ever worked for.
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn23 July 2018
Understaffed, unorganised, no consideration or appreciation for staff, poor management, unreliable staff. The list goes on! I highly recommend no one applies for this position! Dead end job that gets you no where.
Pros
Cons
All aspects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Works Stores Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.