The Wilf Ward Family Trust Employee Reviews

You get out what you put in
Manager (Former Employee) –  East Riding of Yorkshire1 March 2019
I worked here for around 8 months as a service manager and it was Very testing at times. The service I worked in had a deep ingrained culture which did not promote wwft values. The regional team I worked with were amazing and faced challenges daily due to higher management demanding targets to be met which i personally thought were irrational and unacheivable. I can say I never had a day where I didn’t feel supported by my regional manager or the deputy regional manager. They both do amazing work. Changes need to be made with higher up management as the plans they have in place do not promote what the trust is all about it is more of a money making strategy and sadly have become the same as any other organisation that cares only for the financial loss rather than the quality of support they can give.
Pros
Supportive regional managers
Cons
The trust values have been lost
Do not work in Northallerton !!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Northallerton12 February 2019
Nepotism and workplace bullying ! I worked as a support worker for the trust , enjoyed every minute spent with customers , but quickly realised it’s not a healthy or happy workplace , still being subjected to bullying behaviour by my ex manager ! And I’ve been working elsewhere for 5 months now !
Just not right but nothing will change because of the covering up they all do at management level
Pros
The wonderful people you care for
Cons
The management
Our customers and trust needs you if you are a caring person who wants to make a difference to someones life
Full time support worker (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire12 December 2018
I am currently employed as a full time support worker based in Scarborough and have worked for the trust just over 2 years.
Like any company there are pros and cons.
The lovely story of how Wilf Ward Family Trust started got me interested in working for the trust. Two Yorkshire brothers with minimal education and no money of their own invented a piece of farming equipment called the Ward scruffler and went on to have one of the largest factories in the country.
Through Wilf Ward's generosity the Wilf Ward Family Trust was started and has helped many individuals and their families over the years.
I enjoy my job tremendously and can tell you the trust have some lovely customers and lovely staff.
Like any work place we have areas we need to improve in. The trust will listen you just have to speak to the right people.
There are staff set in their ways that don't like change and want an easy life, there are poor managers but there are also very good managers, moving the goal posts so you don't know whether your coming or going sometimes, we seem to have many chiefs but not enough Indians, yes there is bullying on different levels and it can be a case of if your face fits but that is in most work places but the trust will sort things if you tell them. They cant change anything if they don't know. We need to speak up to change things.
The trust has a Facebook page or you can look on www.wilfward.org.uk to see what we do.
Pros
Lovely customers and the team I work with are great.
Cons
Single time for weekends, only 3 bank holidays paid a year, some poor managers that shouldn't be managers
productive place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Swillington, West Yorkshire10 October 2018
Enjoyed working as a care giver. Great team work. Learned a lot about working as a care/social worker. Enjoyed working with people with learning disabilities and mental healh.
Pros
good team work
Disgraceful place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  York20 September 2018
I worked for wwft for 18 months. The management were all clicky and treated their staff like dirt. Shouting on shift infront of customers to other staff which shouldn't be done in their own home. They wouldn't allow a great AM2 progress so lost her to another company. They treat staff like rubbish when they want to leave and if not going their way will give rubbish references from head office who have never worked with or know the staff. The customers are fantastic and a real joy to work alongside supporting them with daily living tasks. They are the heart of the job.

Stay clear of this company it's not what it says on the tin. The real reason this company was set up is amazing and such an inspiration. Shame that's totally been lost
Pros
Customers
Cons
Everything else
Lovely friendly team and customers
Regional Administion Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, North Yorkshire4 January 2018
I started at the Wilf Ward Family Trust by accident really as I had never heard of them before even though there are a number of service local to where I live, but luckily I started there as a temp.

The managers that I met were all friendly and helpful and in no time at all, I realised that I had found a rewarding job in which by doing my job well, enabled others to provide a great and meaningful experience to the customers they support.

The Wilf Ward Family Trust have invested in a comprehensive Induction training package which incorporates a Care certificate and this has been well received.

The team and customers I have met in the services are great and I have not encountered the problems that some of the other reviews came across, so please do not judge the Trust on that.

The work can sometimes be hard but as they say "when you do a job you love, you feel you never have to work another day in your life"
Pros
The people
You get out what you put in.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire4 December 2017
I have worked for the trust for 2 years now.

Your typical day at work is supporting vulnerable adults to get washed, dressed, and medicated before supporting their person centred activities for the day. Whether that is a day service or going swimming, or it is sitting in a sensory room listening to music. Likewise, at the end of the day you essentially do the reverse. It all depends on who you are supporting and what they like to do.

From day one I had a management team who supported me, believed in me, and pushed me to achieve more than I ever would have thought I was able to. Even in the most unsettled of times, I knew there was always somebody who would be there to support me.

I work among a passionate staff team who are all striving for one goal - the best possible support for their customers. The atmosphere is lively and energetic, and everything is approached in the most positive way possible. The customers will capture your heart in a way that will make you want to support them forever.

Obviously there are hard days, as you would expect with any job. You are working with people, who you care about. Which means when things aren’t working quite right, it is just that little bit harder. But you are surrounded by people who feel how you do, and they will support you to turn things around.

The best part of this job for me is those ‘I can’t believe this is my job’ days. Watching somebody reach that milestone, or even just laughing till you cry with a customer is the most rewarding feeling I have ever experienced. You are purely supporting somebody to do all
  more... the things that we take for granted. When that goes right, you’re on top of the world.

The customers need people who genuinely care to invest that time in them, so they can achieve even the little things.
Pros
A positive friendly staff team working to create the best for the amazing customers.
Really Sad
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ryedale30 September 2017
It's really sad to see what this trust has become, it no longer has the family feel it's just a business , the family feel has gone , staff are just a number. Staff with no such qualifications are made seniors then managers, if your face fits here and your in with the click you will go far .. despite what they do to get their. Some staff I met had been loyal and been their years and we're no better thought of for their loyalty, i cannot believe such a compamy does not reward loyal service.The pay is poor despite always being told they payed more than other care sectors . It's still poor for what is expected of you. No enhancement for weekend work is given. They also rave about an open door policy if you have any problems etc , in my time their I can honestly say I don't think their was anybody I could have expressed concerns etc too, yes somebody would listen , but nothing was ever done , and if you did speak to somebody in confidence before you had left the building you could bet your bottom dollar the whole building new your business , their is nothing confidential at all their...
Some of the staff I worked with were smashing , and some well words cannot express , but they get away with it, back biting , but their the ones in the click always running upstairs to tell.
They customers /service users I supported in my time their were smashing , they made the job bearable their smiles sometimes said it all.
I can understand why this company finds it hard to recruit and keep staff.
I urge the ones high up to listen to some of the more loyal members and ask how they
  more... really feel.
To anybody thinking of working here , you really will make a difference to the service users lives , but watch your back where some staff are concerned ..
Pros
The customers
Cons
Poor pay, Too many chiefs.
Started high and plummeted
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  East Riding of Yorkshire11 September 2017
When you go to the interview they promote all the good things about the trust, as you'd expect. However once you go on shift you soon see it was all an illusion! After only one shadowing shift I started on shift with a customer I never knew and inadequate training! In fact at that point I had no training with the exception of an outside first aid course I had done myself. The staff were friendly to start but then you see that it is just a culture of backstabbing and blame.

You are expected to do all aspects of care, cleaning and food prep and also to get them out in the community and the management are quick to snap at you if you have not taken them out even if you are only on a short shift. Sometimes it can take the whole shift to get the customer up, dressed, etc and then complete the mountains of paperwork they expect you to do.

You rarely see your manager so if you have a problem or worry you have to sit on it. It can take a long time before you are sent on training yet you are still expected to do the tasks you should only do without training.

On the positive side the customers are brilliant and if you love a challenge it's great. Just achieving one litttle thing with them can make your day. I know for me it is only the customers that keep me coming back, certainly not the way it's run, the pay or the company behaviour.

They have mentioned a recommend a friend scheme however I wouldn't even recommend my worst enemy for this!
Pros
Customers are fantastic
Cons
Pay, stress, negativity
A chance to make a difference
Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrogate & Northallerton Region24 July 2017
Every single day something wonderful happens...

A customer giggles until they cry because a support worker is being daft.

A customer responds to an interaction and the team are elated because it's a breakthrough, a bond.

A family member says thank you for caring like they do.

A customer says 'its nice to see you' when it's been a while.

Some days are long, some are hard, some fly by and some are easy. Some days are sad and some are hilarious. Every day is worth it though.

'Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life' Confucious
Soon learned I'd made a mistake
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 July 2017
Was excited to join this company however straight away there were warning signs I didn't like.

I was thrown in at the deep end and was doing things I was uncomfortable with without enough training. Told my manager but she was too stressed to deal with it due to ongoing short staffing issues.

I then made a mistake after a few months which got referred to HR and they basically Treated me like a criminal. Very un family like I thought which set the tone for the next few months. I always felt like there was someone waiting to catch me out which was terrible pressure to work under.

The service users were lovely and some of the staff were too however a lot were talking behind backs and seemed to deal with everything after things happened. There was little planning and it wasn't very organised.

This place puts on the portrayal of a great company but actually they are lacking funds and it's all very old fashioned and backward. The pay isn't great and the pension is very poor by today's standards. There aren't any other benefits that are worth anything really to most people.

All in all I was glad to leave and I was surprised by the huge staff turnover. So many people coming and going which isn't good. If id of received better training and support I might have made a better go at it but felt really let down.
Pros
Cons
Lots particular management and support
Caring, responsive and person centred
Support staff (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire14 July 2017
I have been working for the Wilf Ward Family Trust since 2013, and can honestly say I have loved every minute of it!
The organisation really cares about its customers, and the support that is provided reflects this.

A lot is expected of the staff that work for the organisation, and rightly so - if you genuinely care about people and are prepared to work hard then this is the job for you.

In my experience, you are part of a team that is supportive and dynamic with customer focus at the heart of everything we do.

I have learned so much in my time with the organisation, and no two days are the same which makes it interesting, but it is true to say that not every day goes according to plan and as we are working with people we cant always pre-empt what a typical day would entail as the customers very much lead the support. Thinking on your feet and ensuring the best delivery of care and support is a must for every single member of staff!

The organisation really invests in the staff too, providing incentives such as perkbox, transave and childcare vouchers to name a few.

Working for The Wilf Ward Family Trust is not for everyone, but for me it is probably the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs there is!
Pros
Great job satisfaction
Cons
Challenging at times but in a positive way!
rewarding job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire26 June 2017
This job company provides good training opportunities and provides a unique service offering support for people living with learning disabilities. The east riding does not provide enough management opportunities for male managers due to some services restricted to female workers due to their female customers.
Pros
great ethos with customers
Cons
low wage
Very poor company to work for.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire13 January 2017
A typical day was supporting the customers with personal care, meds, household chores and food preparation. Any 1 to 1 activities or support in house.
It depended on the manager as to what you learn but a high turnover in managers. Some managers have been brilliant but most not. Training courses were excellent when you got on one but a lot of e- learning has been introduced. Assistant managers have recently been added to the equation, just one more superfluous body in the customers home.Regional managers and assistants are so out of touch. They honestly don't support staff but discipline them at every opportunity over sometimes the most trivial things. Getting a good out come for any possible CQC visit is paramount to the detriment of staff relations. Above the RRM any problems go to HR. They are only concerned with protecting the company to the point of making things up. Too many cooks spoil the broth!
Amongst staff there is a culture of back biting ( not all but most) , and constant complaints about management, but no one does anything about it. Some staff think a hard days work is getting up off the sofa to make a cup of tea.
The paperwork is mountainous and non stop and really gets staff down. To actually support customers to do anything is getting almost impossible.
The only good part of the job is the customers. If you enjoy this work look elsewhere.
They say they have an open door policy. They do, they will let you air your views and then totally disregard or contradict them.
Buyer beware!
Cons
Was good not so sure now
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire1 December 2016
I started for WWFT 3 years ago and really enjoyed the training and working with the customers however after having lots of problems which my manager and her assistant were addressing which went on and on and never got concluded i lost my lust for the job then i have since witnessed harrassment and bullying and when these things are pointed out nothing is done its as if they are scared to address these issues with the bullies .... then staff pick and chose when they can and cant work due to nights out the mind boggles tge managers need to make these people aware of the fact they signed a contract and need to adhere to it .
Pros
None at present
Cons
Managers need to man up .
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire14 October 2016
This is a good place to work in so many ways, staff are lovely and dedicated to the customers, pay is fair, new benefits introduced are excellent and really help me to save money. From what I have seen, management at all levels are approachable and prepared to listen and to do what they can to help if needed.

Sometimes it is hard work and challenging but that gives me a chance to learn more, colleagues and staff are very supportive and helpful. I'm really pleased I came to work here and enjoy the job.
Not a great place nowadays
Manager (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire12 October 2016
This company has gradually gone from great to bad to worse. So many people are dissatisfied with how the company is being ran. The reason for this review is to state that two other honest reviews have been mysteriously deleted which is really unfair especially as everyone is entitled to a free opinion. It will be attempt at limiting damage to reputation by the managers that continue to keep their heads in the sand. I too was asked to go on here and post a positive review to counteract the negative ones!! The current people strategy is just a paper exercise and doesn't seem to be working. A shocking number of key staff have left over recent months, including half the regional management teams including regional and deputy regional managers who hage become exhausted at the do as i say not as i do attitude. This says it all, they have finally had enough. No support from stale ops management been in the positions too long dealing with things as a knee jerk reaction and a hr department that put the fear of God into most people by performance managing and disciplining like giving out sweets. There are so many other better companies to work for nowadays. Finally, as a warning to people wanting a career in care, working for this company could easily end you career in the industry due to their incompetence. They never seem to be out of dealing with huge employee disasters brought on by themselves.
Pros
service users and other colleagues
Cons
failing hr department, rubbish benefits and pay
this company has a tip out for itself
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Leeds28 September 2016
was a great company to work for when wilf ward was at the helm. since then the staff have become an easily replaceable commodity. Management is weak and disoraganised.and the blame culture is rife. RLT are not interested in what goes on, on the shop floor and anyone that expresses a concern to them will find themselves on the wrong side of a disciplinary
Pros
they can't make you work 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Cons
you have to flatter your manager
Dreadful is an understatement
Deputy regional manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering20 July 2016
Where do I start?...

This company has gone from an Outstanding to totally inadequate place to work never mind be a customer of.

A few years ago this company was a credit to its customers and employees. There was a really FAMILY feeling throughout the trust.

Then things soon started to change. Regional managers left, and more were brought in. Brought in to "serve a purpose" then shown the door before they were bullied to leave.

The same happened to the faces of the restructure. The ones sending out all the pride crunching messages to staff about how their pay would be cut.. We're soon after sent through the black hole of wilfward has beens.

The management are all on puppet strings, forced to cover things up all led by directors who make the rules up as they go along.

i would not recommend any one to work here as it could quite easily end your career in the industry.
Pros
.support staff wages have gone up, customers really are cared for by staff
Cons
The chief exec and his merry crew
ok company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering28 June 2016
I worked for w.w trust for 18 month and found them good to work for £7.85 an hour is not bad in the care industry most homes are minimum wage. I have worked in several homes and w.w.trust is in my top 2 homes to work for I would not think twice about going back to work for them.Left w.w.trust to take time out.`
Pros
relaxed work environment standard of care very good
Cons
more staff need to go in to laundry
Official response from The Wilf Ward Family Trust
7 July 2016

Hi, thank you for your review! We're pleased you enjoyed your time with us! We think our staff do a great job supporting our customers so thank you for contributing towards that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wilf Ward Family Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8