The Wilf Ward Family Trust

The Wilf Ward Family Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
I worked for the trust for over 10 years, I've seen the trust go from an amazing company to work for to the worst. Very young am2, Assistant Managers that lie about staff to cover their own mistakes. And talk in public about customers and staff. No convidenviality at all. Asking managers to put things in place to protect staff, and nothing gets done till its too late. Long shifts. Run a mile.
Best place to work, everyone was very supportive. Caring culture and they believe in developing their staff. Equal opportunities, fair and supportive employer
I have worked for the trust for over 8 years and I absolutely love my job! I have progressed in my role starting out as suppprt worker then moving into management. The support I have been able to give to my teams and also the changes I have helped to develop and implement has really enhanced the lives of the people we support to have outstanding care and live extra ordinary lives. I feel fully supported in my role and I have great team around me.
Have been working at WWFT for over two years and I love it every day! Every day is different, high quality of our clients' care, great team, huge support from wonderful Management! The only suggestion concerns the development of a career, they could introduce, e.g. team leaders or a similar position, something between support worker and assistant manager! And I think that we deserve a higher wage for our work, in which we put our hearts and at least above £10. In addition, I recommend that place for work with all my heart.
Working for the Trust is by no means an easy job, but is so rewarding. There is support from day one and excellent training is provided which covers every aspect of your role.

With the right values and attitude you can progress far within the organisation, and really make a difference to peoples lives.

It can be hard working shifts, but there is opportunity for flexibility, and the rates of pay are brilliant, better than anyone else in the care sector in this area.

You can be supporting someone to their shopping one day, and climbing a mountain the next! Every day is an adventure.

It does what it says on the tin.....FAMILY!
Pros
Excellent salary, Training, People we support, Every day is different
I learned that loyalty and comittment counts for nothing! A lot of the staff work extremely hard and put the customers at the forefront of everything they do, enabling them to live full and enriched lives. There are however a lot of staff who harbour hidden agendas and are purely out for themselves! Team work exists in direct support of customers but the gaping chasm between services and head office is ever apparent and it's very much "every service for themselves".
Pros
The customers
Cons
Working 12 - 13 days in a row due to staffing shortage
Where to start..

There is a total unprofessionalism on such an enormous scale, surprisingly its management that are the most guilty of this.

Anything you say in a one to one (if you ever get one) or just as a concern will indeed be passed on, though not to the right people.

If you were to raise a concern regarding management, this will be swept under the rug and never dealt with. Though if your manager raises any single concern about you, true or not, you will be treated like a criminal.

They hold "confidentiality" in high regard during training, interviews etc. Though they don't even seem to adhere to confidentiality themselves.

This is also a company that cannot even follow their own policies and procedures. I went through a process with them and they broke every rule they themselves in their documents set.

Most of the staff at support worker level are fantastic as are the customers they support.

Though some staff and every manager I met in my time there are so unbelievably two faced and will throw you under the bus any chance they get as soon as things are not going their way.

It's playground mentality.

Horrible environment to work in.

Terrible pay for what is actually expected of you.

You could get paid more per hour for stacking shelves than you would here being totally responsible for a vulnerable person's health and wellbeing. This includes administering emergency medication.

I'm regards to progression, there is real discrimination here, as if your face doesn't fit, you will never stand a chance. Those whose faces do fit, will
 - more...
Pros
Customers.
Cons
Everything else.
Great company to work for I've been working here just over 3 years and love my job the only downside is long unsociable hours. Would recommend working here always felt appreciated and happy good rate of pay for support work and you feel part of a team
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Wilf Ward Family Trust?
I worked here for around 8 months as a service manager and it was Very testing at times. The service I worked in had a deep ingrained culture which did not promote wwft values. The regional team I worked with were amazing and faced challenges daily due to higher management demanding targets to be met which i personally thought were irrational and unacheivable. I can say I never had a day where I didn’t feel supported by my regional manager or the deputy regional manager. They both do amazing work. Changes need to be made with higher up management as the plans they have in place do not promote what the trust is all about it is more of a money making strategy and sadly have become the same as any other organisation that cares only for the financial loss rather than the quality of support they can give.
Pros
Supportive regional managers
Cons
The trust values have been lost
Nepotism and workplace bullying ! I worked as a support worker for the trust , enjoyed every minute spent with customers , but quickly realised it’s not a healthy or happy workplace , still being subjected to bullying behaviour by my ex manager ! And I’ve been working elsewhere for 5 months now !
Just not right but nothing will change because of the covering up they all do at management level
Pros
The wonderful people you care for
Cons
The management
I am currently employed as a full time support worker based in Scarborough and have worked for the trust just over 2 years.
Like any company there are pros and cons.

The lovely story of how Wilf Ward Family Trust started got me interested in working for the trust. Two Yorkshire brothers with minimal education and no money of their own invented a piece of farming equipment called the Ward scruffler and went on to have one of the largest factories in the country.

Through Wilf Ward's generosity the Wilf Ward Family Trust was started and has helped many individuals and their families over the years.

I enjoy my job tremendously and can tell you the trust have some lovely customers and lovely staff.

Like any work place we have areas we need to improve in. The trust will listen you just have to speak to the right people.

There are staff set in their ways that don't like change and want an easy life, there are poor managers but there are also very good managers, moving the goal posts so you don't know whether your coming or going sometimes, we seem to have many chiefs but not enough Indians, yes there is bullying on different levels and it can be a case of if your face fits but that is in most work places but the trust will sort things if you tell them. They cant change anything if they don't know. We need to speak up to change things.

The trust has a Facebook page or you can look on www.wilfward.org.uk to see what we do.
Pros
Lovely customers and the team I work with are great.
Cons
Single time for weekends, only 3 bank holidays paid a year, some poor managers that shouldn't be managers
Enjoyed working as a care giver. Great team work. Learned a lot about working as a care/social worker. Enjoyed working with people with learning disabilities and mental healh.
Pros
good team work
Cons
I worked for wwft for 18 months. The management were all clicky and treated their staff like dirt. Shouting on shift infront of customers to other staff which shouldn't be done in their own home. They wouldn't allow a great AM2 progress so lost her to another company. They treat staff like rubbish when they want to leave and if not going their way will give rubbish references from head office who have never worked with or know the staff. The customers are fantastic and a real joy to work alongside supporting them with daily living tasks. They are the heart of the job.

Stay clear of this company it's not what it says on the tin. The real reason this company was set up is amazing and such an inspiration. Shame that's totally been lost
Pros
Customers
Cons
Everything else
This company has a great ethos and supports a great cause, however it’s a shame that the same supportive feel isn’t invested into the staff just as it is the customers. Throughout my time here, I have not been invested in at all, my line manager has not assisted me in developing and I have been knocked back time and time again. I’ve tried many times to develop myself and each time I have not even been considered by management.

The company attempted to get investors in people, and rightly failed. Surely that tells them and is a big enough hint that something needs to change.

I enjoyed the reason I was doing this job however all the input I have given to this company they were quick to get rid of me.

If you’re thinking about working here, then yes by all means if you can put aside everything and just focus on the customers. If not, I wouldn’t bother.
Pros
The cause
Cons
Everything else
I started at the Wilf Ward Family Trust by accident really as I had never heard of them before even though there are a number of service local to where I live, but luckily I started there as a temp.

The managers that I met were all friendly and helpful and in no time at all, I realised that I had found a rewarding job in which by doing my job well, enabled others to provide a great and meaningful experience to the customers they support.

The Wilf Ward Family Trust have invested in a comprehensive Induction training package which incorporates a Care certificate and this has been well received.

The team and customers I have met in the services are great and I have not encountered the problems that some of the other reviews came across, so please do not judge the Trust on that.

The work can sometimes be hard but as they say "when you do a job you love, you feel you never have to work another day in your life"
Pros
The people
I have worked for the trust for 2 years now.

Your typical day at work is supporting vulnerable adults to get washed, dressed, and medicated before supporting their person centred activities for the day. Whether that is a day service or going swimming, or it is sitting in a sensory room listening to music. Likewise, at the end of the day you essentially do the reverse. It all depends on who you are supporting and what they like to do.

From day one I had a management team who supported me, believed in me, and pushed me to achieve more than I ever would have thought I was able to. Even in the most unsettled of times, I knew there was always somebody who would be there to support me.

I work among a passionate staff team who are all striving for one goal - the best possible support for their customers. The atmosphere is lively and energetic, and everything is approached in the most positive way possible. The customers will capture your heart in a way that will make you want to support them forever.

Obviously there are hard days, as you would expect with any job. You are working with people, who you care about. Which means when things aren’t working quite right, it is just that little bit harder. But you are surrounded by people who feel how you do, and they will support you to turn things around.

The best part of this job for me is those ‘I can’t believe this is my job’ days. Watching somebody reach that milestone, or even just laughing till you cry with a customer is the most rewarding feeling I have ever experienced. You are purely supporting somebody to do all
 - more...
Pros
A positive friendly staff team working to create the best for the amazing customers.
It's really sad to see what this trust has become, it no longer has the family feel it's just a business , the family feel has gone , staff are just a number. Staff with no such qualifications are made seniors then managers, if your face fits here and your in with the click you will go far .. despite what they do to get their. Some staff I met had been loyal and been their years and we're no better thought of for their loyalty, i cannot believe such a compamy does not reward loyal service.The pay is poor despite always being told they payed more than other care sectors . It's still poor for what is expected of you. No enhancement for weekend work is given. They also rave about an open door policy if you have any problems etc , in my time their I can honestly say I don't think their was anybody I could have expressed concerns etc too, yes somebody would listen , but nothing was ever done , and if you did speak to somebody in confidence before you had left the building you could bet your bottom dollar the whole building new your business , their is nothing confidential at all their...
Some of the staff I worked with were smashing , and some well words cannot express , but they get away with it, back biting , but their the ones in the click always running upstairs to tell.

They customers /service users I supported in my time their were smashing , they made the job bearable their smiles sometimes said it all.

I can understand why this company finds it hard to recruit and keep staff.

I urge the ones high up to listen to some of the more loyal members and ask how they
 - more...
Pros
The customers
Cons
Poor pay, Too many chiefs.
When you go to the interview they promote all the good things about the trust, as you'd expect. However once you go on shift you soon see it was all an illusion! After only one shadowing shift I started on shift with a customer I never knew and inadequate training! In fact at that point I had no training with the exception of an outside first aid course I had done myself. The staff were friendly to start but then you see that it is just a culture of backstabbing and blame.

You are expected to do all aspects of care, cleaning and food prep and also to get them out in the community and the management are quick to snap at you if you have not taken them out even if you are only on a short shift. Sometimes it can take the whole shift to get the customer up, dressed, etc and then complete the mountains of paperwork they expect you to do.

You rarely see your manager so if you have a problem or worry you have to sit on it. It can take a long time before you are sent on training yet you are still expected to do the tasks you should only do without training.

On the positive side the customers are brilliant and if you love a challenge it's great. Just achieving one litttle thing with them can make your day. I know for me it is only the customers that keep me coming back, certainly not the way it's run, the pay or the company behaviour.

They have mentioned a recommend a friend scheme however I wouldn't even recommend my worst enemy for this!
Pros
Customers are fantastic
Cons
Pay, stress, negativity
Was excited to join this company however straight away there were warning signs I didn't like.

I was thrown in at the deep end and was doing things I was uncomfortable with without enough training. Told my manager but she was too stressed to deal with it due to ongoing short staffing issues.

I then made a mistake after a few months which got referred to HR and they basically Treated me like a criminal. Very un family like I thought which set the tone for the next few months. I always felt like there was someone waiting to catch me out which was terrible pressure to work under.

The service users were lovely and some of the staff were too however a lot were talking behind backs and seemed to deal with everything after things happened. There was little planning and it wasn't very organised.

This place puts on the portrayal of a great company but actually they are lacking funds and it's all very old fashioned and backward. The pay isn't great and the pension is very poor by today's standards. There aren't any other benefits that are worth anything really to most people.

All in all I was glad to leave and I was surprised by the huge staff turnover. So many people coming and going which isn't good. If id of received better training and support I might have made a better go at it but felt really let down.
Pros
Cons
Lots particular management and support
I have been working for the Wilf Ward Family Trust since 2013, and can honestly say I have loved every minute of it!
The organisation really cares about its customers, and the support that is provided reflects this.

A lot is expected of the staff that work for the organisation, and rightly so - if you genuinely care about people and are prepared to work hard then this is the job for you.

In my experience, you are part of a team that is supportive and dynamic with customer focus at the heart of everything we do.

I have learned so much in my time with the organisation, and no two days are the same which makes it interesting, but it is true to say that not every day goes according to plan and as we are working with people we cant always pre-empt what a typical day would entail as the customers very much lead the support. Thinking on your feet and ensuring the best delivery of care and support is a must for every single member of staff!

The organisation really invests in the staff too, providing incentives such as perkbox, transave and childcare vouchers to name a few.

Working for The Wilf Ward Family Trust is not for everyone, but for me it is probably the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs there is!
Pros
Great job satisfaction
Cons
Challenging at times but in a positive way!
This job company provides good training opportunities and provides a unique service offering support for people living with learning disabilities. The east riding does not provide enough management opportunities for male managers due to some services restricted to female workers due to their female customers.
Pros
great ethos with customers
Cons
low wage