The Wallich Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff9 January 2020
Built up my skills whilst on the job, the team are fabulous and professional and are very patient
Ideal for building up experience in a great working environment and build up a community element to tackle homelessness
Top Class
Role - Project Worker (Current Employee) –  Powys9 January 2020
I worked at The Wallich for just over ten years and only left due to a lost contract. I have worked for several housing type charities across my career and The Wallich is by a significant margin the best I have ever worked for. Given the right opportunity I would go back tomorrow. Great organisation.
The Wallich has been a massive loss to the people of Newtown.
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newtown27 November 2019
The Wallich really worked for the community and was all about support for people and care of its staff . It was held in high regard by all other agencies but was swallowed up in a tender battle forcing staff to TUPE across to the inferior GWALIA group who quickly reinvented themselves as Pobl.
Brilliant charity to work for
Assistant HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff10 September 2019
Great environment at ground level; management slightly different.

Allows great benefits and good culture to work in - allowed personal development and flexible working.
A good place to to gain some great training, not much opportunity to progress though
Tenancy Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire28 August 2019
Some valuable training provided during employment, however not many opportunities to progress within the organisation.
Some great management, some not so great.
Amazing ethos
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Llanelli22 July 2019
Best organisation to work for. Always look after their staff and promote a real community spirit. Supporting people to achieve their goals is rewarding and the Wallich empower their staff to be the best they can be
Homeless Charitable Organization
Senior Support Worker - Homeless Prevention (Former Employee) –  UK17 June 2019
The Wallich was the most meaningful job I have had. The staff were great to work with and my manager was superb. Would still be there had I not moved back to the United States.
Pros
Working with vulnerable families and adults in helping them overcome their hardships.
Cons
Short breaks.
Forward thinking and adventurous charity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  South Wales21 May 2019
2 years at The Wallich and I'm very happy.

Work is busy and challenging, but I feel like they're a very trusting organisation, who try wherever possible to use the experiences of staff to drive forward initiatives.

As mentioned, this area of work is not without it's challenges, but whenever I've needed it, support and reassurance has been there from the powers that be.
Pros
Flexibility, trust
Cons
Political climate
One to avoid
SSW (Former Employee) –  South Wales1 May 2019
As positive and inspiring the stories in the news may be about this charity, unfortunately the reality is much different.
The Wallich are notorious for bad management, bullying and lack of interest in staff health and wellbeing. I would avoid at all costs and work elsewhere if you have a passion for supporting vulnerable clients.
Cons
Management - local and SLT
Needs a very serious shake up
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales8 March 2019
Cannot wait to see what the new CEO can do to shake up this poorly managed charity.
Bridgends projects including a very busy residential hostel are so badly managed, its actually embarrassing to be associated with working there. If your face fits, you may progress, however some amazing, capable, very knowledgeable and experienced staff get overlooked time and time again if the managers don't like them (personally!) Most leave before they progress. Sad.
Pros
Tea and coffee, seeing clients progress
Cons
Management!
fanatstic place to work
Tenancy Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff18 February 2019
I loved every minute working for the wallich, brilliant organisation to work for, helpful, considerate and supportive. Good pay rate, good hours of work, good working ethos and working practices.
Awful management
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea7 February 2019
Worked in Swansea for a couple of years for the wallich. Witnessed managers lying, making up rules and procedures, spare of the moment evictions, managers back each other up. No point putting complaints in against them because they will just turn it on you.

The client group is what makes this organization and what made me stay so long.

I have worked for many other companies and I must say this one is officially the worse. HR dont care and follow the direction of poorly trained managers, unless your based in Cardiff dont expect any input from head office.

When external companies avoid talking to managers because of the inconsistencies that they have and unrealistic views.

I have witnessed bullying in the work place and managers talking openly about other team members sickness and things.

Seeing co-workers crying because of management is so sad. The only times staff were happy were when the managers were off.

Also on many occasions being put at danger having to evict people giving them no notice at all! - says alot about their ethos as managers.

Such a shame as this could be a great place to work and if their values were followed it could be a leading homeless charity.

Can't see any change as poor management in Swansea is well hidden from senior managers.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Excellent place to work as an agency worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea6 November 2018
Currently work here weekly as an agency worker, and now refuse to pick up shifts anywhere else. Excellent team of staff who ensure that although you are agency, you are thoroughly involved in the project. Team work is key and staff will go out of their way to ensure you understand what your job role and daily tasks are.
Management work hard to make sure that the charity is being run with the client as main focus, which is appreciated not only by the client group, but staff as well. Management also ensure that no one feels as though there is a hierarchy.
Pros
Lots of tea
Bullied by management because my face didnt fit, clients were great though
Peripatetic support worker (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff2 October 2018
Worked for this company for 12 months after leaving a well paid job where I was a manager.
Two of the managers were extremely unprofessional and have since been paid off due to claims of bullying, underhand finances and total unreliability. One manager was half decent on times but to be honest the only reason most people stayed was because they liked and got on with the clients.
Have since worked for more professional organisations such as Cadwyn.
If you work there, watch your back at all times, and that is because of your colleagues and managers.
Pros
Training
Cons
Managers
A lot of pffice politics
Maintenance officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff3 June 2018
I enjoyedy time with this company and the benefits of helping others people in need. I enjoyed working alone at it gave me another responsibility and a position of trust
Pros
Helpong is a good rhong
Cons
Office politics
Great hardworking colleagues - very poor management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgend/Swansea25 January 2018
The only chance of progression was if your face fitted just as other people have reviewed. Very poor management in Bridgend where a few members of staff were targeted and as the old saying goes 'If you throw enough mud some of it will stick'.
Several contracts lost because of very poor management at a local level.
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Brilliant charity in theory, awfully run as a business
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Swansea8 March 2017
Found it a privilege to work with this client base and was an honour to see clients realise their own potential, progress and move on. To be honest, the job in itself was brilliant. However on the management and business side, staff are treated terribly by management- if your face fits you'll be fine, if not there is no chance of career development chances or any advancement. In the last year the vast majority of original Swansea staff have left-the majority being pushed out by management who believe the old staff know too much of the underhandedness that is/has been going on within the company and false grievances made against staff resulting in multiple suspensions-the rest have left after being appalled by the way other colleagues were treated.
Pros
Rewarding work with service users
Cons
Bad management, treat staff terribly
Disgraceful company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea1 February 2017
After working in the third sector for the majority of my adult life, I have never experienced a company like this before. Backstabbing culture mainly from management. No room for progression unless your face fits!!!! However, amazing clients and a priveage to work for them instead and share my experiences.
Pros
Clients & colleagues
Cons
Management, back stabbing, face has to fit or you'll be gone sooner rather than later
Welcoming Environment
Project Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 January 2017
I volunteered once a week for The Wallich and they were a very welcoming organisation who have a fantastic ethos. I had little contact with my link worker and I enjoyed the trust that was shown in me.
Ex Employer
Former Employer. ( glad to) (Former Employee) –  Carmarthenshire18 May 2016
Very good client's to work with, good job satisfaction when you see the client's move on.
management is terrible, and other support worker's will stab you in the back and run to the management to report you, (they will report you for the smallest thing). The pay is hopeless and the hours are contracted but you will work well over your contracted hours.
Pros
Working with the clients
Cons
Management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wallich. Our community is ready to answer.

The Wallich Reviews by Location