The Wallich

The Wallich Employee Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews
Challenging but productive place to work good management and great team. Very busy with supporting clients and paperwork. fun environment to work in with friendly staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
12 hour shifts
Positive working environment with safeguarding concerns taken seriously. Management approachable and professional. Staff are appreciated and listened to. Very people orientated working environment - staff and clients.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Job security due to short term contracts
Trusted to get on with job and make decisions without being micromanaged. Very service user focused, will support anyone regardless of background or if they’ve been in the project before - the door is always open. Community feel about the organisation, you could pick up the phone to anyone at any level. Due to the nature of the sector, contracts are usually fixed term and managers are sometimes spread too thin but work/life balance is strongly encouraged.
Pros
Trust, service user focused
Cons
Job insecurity due to sector/funding
I've had many jobs, in various companies but working for The Wallich is the best I've experienced.

Thorough induction into the organisation, everyone across the whole organisation is friendly, welcoming and working towards a common goal.

Due to the sector, the pay isn't the highest however the support by colleagues received is fantastic, managers are supportive and encourage professional development.

Fantastic annual leave entitlement, lots of access to training and professional development opportunities and flexible working.
Pros
Great team, working with service users, information sharing, management, wellbeing
A two year old could do a better job in HR than those people to be honest. Should be ashamed of themselves! What a disgrace. And a charity?? Ha, they only care about themselves, making sure they are paid a high amount for doing absolutely nothing for staff or clients!
I enjoyed my time volunteering within this company. I decorated and maintained the homes that in the company. I would recommend anyone to work for this company.
Stay away from this company, the management bully people and have no concept of employment law.
They have no idea how to investigate or handle a grievance.

I witnessed illegal things go on and they should be ashamed of their behaviour.

Hopefully the new CEO can kick out some of the useless managers and build some trust and respect back into the company.
Pros
4 on 4 off
Cons
Bad managers.
a fair and relaxed organisation that does have empathy and understanding for its client group.
Excellent training opportunities provided.

Work days can vary from relaxed to chaotic but this is due to working with vulnerable client groups.
I loved working for them and I think they have a brilliant solution focused ethos. They are supportive and caring and their training is second to none.
Built up my skills whilst on the job, the team are fabulous and professional and are very patient
Ideal for building up experience in a great working environment and build up a community element to tackle homelessness
I worked at The Wallich for just over ten years and only left due to a lost contract. I have worked for several housing type charities across my career and The Wallich is by a significant margin the best I have ever worked for. Given the right opportunity I would go back tomorrow. Great organisation.
The Wallich really worked for the community and was all about support for people and care of its staff . It was held in high regard by all other agencies but was swallowed up in a tender battle forcing staff to TUPE across to the inferior GWALIA group who quickly reinvented themselves as Pobl.
As a temporary member of staff the workplace was very welcoming and the staff supportive, Very easy to fit into the culture of the organisation and find your role.
Great environment at ground level; management slightly different.

Allows great benefits and good culture to work in - allowed personal development and flexible working.
Some valuable training provided during employment, however not many opportunities to progress within the organisation.
Some great management, some not so great.
Best organisation to work for. Always look after their staff and promote a real community spirit. Supporting people to achieve their goals is rewarding and the Wallich empower their staff to be the best they can be
The Wallich was the most meaningful job I have had. The staff were great to work with and my manager was superb. Would still be there had I not moved back to the United States.
Pros
Working with vulnerable families and adults in helping them overcome their hardships.
Cons
Short breaks.
2 years at The Wallich and I'm very happy.

Work is busy and challenging, but I feel like they're a very trusting organisation, who try wherever possible to use the experiences of staff to drive forward initiatives.

As mentioned, this area of work is not without it's challenges, but whenever I've needed it, support and reassurance has been there from the powers that be.
Pros
Flexibility, trust
Cons
Political climate
As positive and inspiring the stories in the news may be about this charity, unfortunately the reality is much different.
The Wallich are notorious for bad management, bullying and lack of interest in staff health and wellbeing. I would avoid at all costs and work elsewhere if you have a passion for supporting vulnerable clients.
Cons
Management - local and SLT
Cannot wait to see what the new CEO can do to shake up this poorly managed charity.
Bridgends projects including a very busy residential hostel are so badly managed, its actually embarrassing to be associated with working there. If your face fits, you may progress, however some amazing, capable, very knowledgeable and experienced staff get overlooked time and time again if the managers don't like them (personally!) Most leave before they progress. Sad.
Pros
Tea and coffee, seeing clients progress
Cons
Management!
I loved every minute working for the wallich, brilliant organisation to work for, helpful, considerate and supportive. Good pay rate, good hours of work, good working ethos and working practices.