The University of Manchester Employee Reviews

Excellent employer
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 October 2017
Excellent staff benefits and career progression. Interesting and varied work and world class working environment. Lots of staff support and opportunities.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Large organisation
Thoroughly Enjoyed My Time Here
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central1 October 2017
Great company to work for.
Flexible working and pension schemes are only a couple of the benefits offered.
People are great to work with and make your day very enjoyable
Too big to be managed effectively
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 September 2017
I worked during a restructure which left many without jobs despite their necessity for the "business". And unfortunately that is what this is - not an educator, but a business.

Furthermore I think the culture is very "mind your own business" and there is a big divide between upper management and day to day staff.

I would not recommend working here from my personal experience, however I can imagine if you found a good internal team you would have a better experience.
kind and helpful leader
Ambassador-part time (Former Employee) –  Manchester19 August 2017
really good and helpful manager. employees are all friendly and willing to help. flexible working time and bright and comfortable working environment.
Great learning environment
Studen (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 July 2017
the university of manchester is a beacon for good quality research. strenghts are:
Links to industry
availability of funding (especially in STEM related subjects)
educational insitition
Student (Current Employee) –  student5 July 2017
support and guidance available throughout.
opportunities for training available. staff are friendly and welcoming.
Team work is very important and all of your concerns are dealt with in an effective manner.
Fun and flexible
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Manchester, UK12 April 2017
Great place to work - very sociable. Has allowed me to balance studying and earning some money on the side. It's easy as long as you are enthusiastic.
Productive,Busy, Demanding at times, well established,good vistion for 2020
Production and delivery manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 March 2017
The University is a very demanding business all year round
however this is a good thing it keeps you busy.
the down side is we are constantly changing our production range to keep up with the retail demands of Manchester City Central

Good place to work but uncertain future lots of reviews and changes in the air
Pros
Good pay, Conditions, work life balance
Cons
Unsure future at the moment lots of changes about to happen
Very productive and culturally diverse place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, UK19 January 2017
The University provides the ideal environment for personal development especially for junior staff. The mentoring programme is brilliant and state-of-the-art facilities for both research and teaching.
Fantastic University
PhD student (Current Employee) –  AkzoNobel Laboratory for Corrosion14 December 2016
It is great place to study materials and corrosion. Large number of people are investigating different aspects of corrosion and corrosion protection in different environments, which makes Corrosion and Protection Centre an ideal place for corrosion scientists.
Worst job experience ever
SO2 (Former Employee) –  Cancer Research UK6 August 2016
Whereas the salary and benefits were good, the working environment and colleagues were awful. Back stabbing and unprofessional working culture. Very disappointed.
Pros
Holiday entitlement, flexi system
Cons
Work environment
beatuiful building
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 June 2016
A typical day at the library always involved laughing ,whilst working there I learnt a lot about books and manuscripts. Sadly the management was very set in it's way and had very old school values, at times there was differently an upstairs downstairs culture. The co-workers there where some of the best people I have ever worked with, and the hardest part of the job was to leave. The most enjoyable was the making of life long friends within the library.
Pros
the scenary
Cons
the management
Productive and supportive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG10 October 2015
An ideal environment in which to pursue both research and teaching interests.
Professional supervision.
Plenty of research and teaching training opportunities.
Great university to work for
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG28 September 2015
See my previous review.

In short, I think this university has great scientists who are dedicated to their research. As a results I learned a lot here.
Challenging & Fulfilling experience
8 week internship, Communications and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG19 August 2015
I independently produced a booklet detailing the research carried out by the University of Manchester Physics & Astronomy department. I also produced informational booklets for prospective students. This involved research, liaising with academics and using design programs to produce digital materials also suitable for printing. Juggling so many contacts was challenging but enjoyable and my communication and management skills grew
Good salary but poor future perspectives
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG14 April 2015
Good salary and social benefits. Unfortunately most positions are only temporary so it makes the future perspectives very poor...
Summary
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG5 March 2015
I learnt to be a good team player to achieve the company set goals. To also lead by example and accommodate other people's opinion.
That a good time manager will reduce unnecessary pressure at work
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Asstistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG14 October 2014
I was worked in the University of Manchester as a teaching assistant of (BlockSim 9) ReliaSoft software.

I was responsible for MSc Mechanical Engineering Students during the ReliaSoft demonstartion which took place in the University of Manchester in the Reliability & Maintainability course. I also helped students who cope with some difficulties in the exercises and coursework.

I realised how important is when one has a responsibility to complete a task. I lerned that being patient, kalm and positive are vital characteristics to work with others and understood that teaching is not as simple as it seems.

In my team there was harmony and all the members were friendly and pleased to help each other if it was asked.
University of Manchester
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG11 September 2014
The company was an excellent company to work for.
co- workers and management were great.
the job was enjoyable friendly place to work for
friendly and inspiring working place
China-link Liaison (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG13 April 2014
A clear target is set to achieve and the leadership is efficient. The leadership is effective with explicit guidances and monitoring as well as support with quick and constructive comments.