The Three Horseshoes Employee Reviews

friendly and productive co-workers
Bar tender/waitress (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead10 June 2019
everyone did the jobs that needed to be done but had fun while doing the jobs so it never really felt like you were working meaning no one dreaded coming into work and management would always get stuck in and they would never make people do a job they weren't will to do themselves.
Pros
when working 8 hours or more workers would get a free lunch
Cons
most of the contacts were zero hours so no one was guaranteed a set amount of hours.
Dreadful owner. Doesn't look after staff
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire4 June 2019
Creepy owner, several people i worked with complained about him being inappropriate, especially with younger members of staff. The Kitchen team were horrible entitled people and nothing was ever there fault. Bar manager was the only saving grace of this place. Tips were inconsistent and given out irregularly. Finally the music is the worst thing ever. The owner refuses to change the same 100ish songs and after 4 or so shifts it becomes unbearable. I do not recommend working here.
Pros
Free lunch on 8 + hour shifts
Cons
Would want to eat anything that comes out of the kitchen, Tips done when the owner can be bothered, Rude Kitchen staff, Rude creepy owner.
Was very temporary
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield13 February 2019
It never seemed as though your job was safe and the wages are terrible. Didn't like how the staff reacted in certain situations either. If someone was behind and you didn't help them catch up you got told off. Even though you couldn't afford to stop what you was doing.
Pros
Cons
Terrible hours, customers are very rude a lot of the time. High expectations for such a standard role.
pleasant environment
Bar and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Pershore, UK2 December 2018
nice place to work, good entertainment, live music or dj every week. kitchen is always closed but advertised as open so you may be disappointed if your going to eat.
Pros
good entertainment
Cons
no food
Horrible work place
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Brimington29 October 2018
horrible customers
awful pay
The landlord of the pub is horrible to all of his staff
not a nice place to work
easy job
boring as it isn't very busy
landlord will take it out on you if the pub isn't busy
Good pub work in a lovely location.
Bar Staff and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead30 September 2018
A typical shift would involve working behind the bar, waiting tables, serving food, changing barrels, serving coffee and maintaining cleanliness throughout the establishment.
Pros
Discounts, tips, and free lunches when working long hours
Argumentative managers.
Kitchen Assistant and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire12 June 2018
The managers were consistently arguing over personal issues and involving the employees which caused problems in the work place.
Chef never cleaned the kitchen and left it for me to do because she 'didn't like cleaning.
Pros
A free pint of coca cola.
Cons
Bad pay. Unfair management.
Fun, sociable and flexible
Bar/Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire21 February 2018
A fabulous and positive environment to work in. Shift hours are flexible and fair, as well as the management being organised and friendly. Also a lovely location to work in but be prepared for busy weekends and summers!!!
Excellent place to work
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Barnard Castle8 February 2018
Working for The Three Horseshoes is an absolute pleasure, the staff are fantastic and the management and owners are not to be overlooked in this statement, A typical day at work includes helping friendly faces that become regular faces, meeting new people and conversing with people you have grown to know and enjoy their company, The hardest part of the job has to be 1am finishes sometimes followed by a 7am start. The most enjoyable in my opinion is hearing how enjoyable peoples experiences have been as well as receiving praise for your level of work and customer service
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
some long hours
The Three Horseshoes
Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham15 January 2018
A typical day at work mainly involves general serving of customers and also includes stock control and booking/seating management. I have learnt a lot of new skills in managing a team and administration. The hardest part of the job is covering staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is that its different everyday.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Weekend and evening work
Horrible
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Wixford, Warwickshire12 November 2017
Took over 2 years after i left to get paid
Not very easy to comunicate with staff as they hardly spoke english
Working long shifts diddnt get a break for a drink
Pros
Got money
Cons
Horrible
Rarely required, one shift a week
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Pentwynmawr2 August 2017
I had a bad experience with this company, as I wouldn't revcieve shift information until last minute and due to my age at the time transport was difficult. Also did not contact me with shift patterns
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Their communication lacks
Good experience
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Malpas, Newport1 July 2017
I enjoyed the short time that I worked at the Three Horse Shoes as it gave me a great insight on what a future in the catering industry would be like.
Fast Paced but Calm
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire30 May 2017
A typical day at the three horseshoes was wholly dependent upon the position that I was required to take that day. As in the kitchen, we would start the day by prepping the food for service, and cleaning the surfaces and equipment. After this, the orders would come through consistently until the end of service so 4 hours all together then i would be expected to clean the kitchen ready for service either that evening or the next. On a different day, when i was placed on the bar and front of house the day would run fairly similar, although instead of making the food i would be the one taking it out and taking order from tables. At the bar, after the dinner service I would have to pour drinks, keep track of tabs and all together try keep the place positive. At the end of the day, if i was on the bar i would have to cash out the till and lock up the bar.

I took alot from this job as enabled to have experience of working in a fast paced environment, making essential that I was both organised and efficient, which were the two main skills i learnt in this job. As well as things such as communication, hygiene and cooking that were also essential if was going to be successful in my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the workplace culture, as if everything ran smoothly the environment would be very calm despite it being fast paced. However, i suppose the best thing about the job was you knew where you stood if you messed it was your own fault and you needed to take care of it yourself.
Pros
Workplace culture, free lunch and drinks
Cons
poor wages
Nice environment
Bar Manager/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester1 February 2017
I worked here while I was a college, it was a pleasant place to work and gave me the confidence to move onto more careers.
Great management and friendly staff.
Great pub to work in, great team
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Seer Green2 August 2016
Always people in the pub, great pay rate plus tips, free lunches and dinners, always a laugh, weekends are especially busy !
Never a typical day at work
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Breedon on the Hill, ENG9 November 2015
Working at the Three Horseshoes is fun and you also learn new things. Management are quite supportive. The co-workers are nice and help when jobs need doing.
Pros
discount on lunch
Cons
not enough hours
Hardworking and productive workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Heath, ENG5 July 2015
During my time at The Three Horseshoes I learned a lot of useful skills that enabled me to be focused on the task ahead- skills such as organisation and teamwork. My co-workers were helpful and work orientated which encouraged me to be the same. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy and you had to multitask and ensure that food was served on time and to the right standard. Overall it was a great place to work and I learned a lot from my time there.
Hard work but lots of fun
Co Owner (Former Employee) –  Colchester, ENG31 July 2014
We would open at 7am for breakfast which we served. I would then start the cleaning and stocking the bar, do the petty cash then change ready for serving behind bar or taking it in turns with my husband in the kitchen. this set up the rest of the day until closing time.
Pros
working with husband
Cons
A busy high quality restaurant
General Service Assistant - Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Madingley, ENG21 March 2014
Start the day with a plan for the front of house staff to be able and ready for the days service.
I learned to account for every possibility for service periods and how to get the best out of each team member whilst being able to gain the full potential of the team. My co-workers were a good blend of older experienced staff and younger enthusiastic staff willing to learn.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the political issues raised by the work issues of the owners partner whilst keeping the team encouraged and motivated in a difficult situation.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my feeling of success in managing a difficult situation whilst maintaining high standards and enthusiasm among the staff team.