The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 228 reviews matching the search See all 5,032 reviews
Consuming job culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London18 August 2018
A typical day at work consisted of being told whether to work at the cashier or changing rooms or on the floor dependent on where you were needed or not. I received no proper training only what my colleagues hastily taught me as we had no time during the shift. The management was an absolute mess as different managers would often disagree and the lower employees would have a difficult time deciding which request to listen to. In only four months we had two different branch managers and as soon as the new branch manager was employed, I was fired. This job does however teach you how to deal with situations where you had little time and a lot to do.
Pros
10% employee discount
Cons
short lunch breaks, no real employee benefits, employee discount only 10% for ridiculous shifts and rude fellow employees.
Great place to be different
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 October 2018
The company can be tough but fair to work for with strict time scales to achieve large tasks. Demanding and rewarding at the same time with a great starting wage for anyone over the age of 16, fair in that regard and plenty of benefits for staff members who are with the company.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits, fun environment
Cons
Demanding workday
Just Dont
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire24 November 2018
If you value your mental health then DO NOT apply to join at any TKMaxx store. You will be overworked as all stores are understaffed and you will be set impossible tasks to complete. If these tasks are not complete then you will be scolded at the next working day. This is a continuous cycle as the workload is too much for one person.
The Rota is always up late in the week so you cant plan ahead.
Random working hours (3.30 - 8 30 for example) so you have no work life balance.
Management is terrible.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Everything. Avoid at all costs
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southampton1 July 2018
Management look after you, salary is great and the job is enjoyable. The team is full of like minded individuals which makes the team an enjoyable team to be apart of.
Fantastic workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen2 July 2018
Great place to work. Fast paced, friendly environment with many benefits. Great pay, especially for those coming out of school/younger than 21. No real complaints.
Pros
Good hours and pay
Cons
None!
productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wandsworth, Greater London18 November 2018
My day to day job includes
● Attending to customers
● Providing knowledgeable advice in a confident manner
● Replenishing stock
● Processing customer refunds and exchanges
● Arranging displays
● Recommending merchandise
● Monitoring for any fraudulent activities and reporting fraud alerts
● Cash handling
● Re-ticketing and retagging products
● Ensuring the shop floor and store environment is of immaculate
condition and safety
● Processing online orders
● Maintaining knowledge of current sales and promotions
● Dealing with any complaints and queries.
● Building relationships with customers to increase level of
customer retention
As a result, I have further strengthened and enhanced my communication,
leadership, customer service, team working skills, confidence and
understanding of retail. Getting to know the regular customers has helped
to strengthen my interpersonal skills.
Furthermore, this role has deepened my understanding of the value and
importance of accounting in business and why it is referred to as the
‘language of business’.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
not my career job
Fun Wrokplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex26 October 2018
An enjoyable workplace where the hours take away from the enjoyment. A lot of pressure is put on staff to constantly be available at short notice. The job itself is interesting and challenging in it's own way but it reaches a limit with little opportunity for career advancement.
Pros
Interesting workplace
Cons
Irregular hours
Great team atmosphere!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire1 August 2018
Mostly younger staff, with incentives to help or serve people.

Award system in place for good customer reviews and friendly competition.

Downside is if you get stuck on one department and you are penalised for not achieving your wow's due to low customer interaction.

Some jobs are more labour intensive than others and staff are liable to stand and chat.
Pros
Treats and awards and vouchers as an incentive.
Cons
Management can be lacking due to the 'fun and friendly' nature.
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex6 May 2018
I worked during Christmas hours therefore it was very busy all the time so I was always doing something. I would work either at the tills or on the store floor. I learned how to use the tills and how to stock up items in the right places. I also learned how to communicate to customers and other staff.
The management was very good, the team leaders were really helpful when I was sometimes stuck on what to do. The workplace culture is great.

The hardest part of the job was the hours I did during Christmas as they were long and busy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people around me and the managers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks
Nice place to work and good team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire3 September 2018
I did enjoy to work in this company. The team management was great and my colleagues was amazing. The work environment was nice also.I did work days and nights and i did like that at every shift start we received a briefing of the result ,targets,our duties and responsibilities for that shift.
Pros
Space for lunch and relaxation
Cons
Less working hours
Fun place to work (Homesense)
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire17 August 2018
Being a young member of staff I worked with many other people my age which made shifts go by a lot faster than at other places I have worked. They were also enjoyable. The role itself includes maintaining the store, serving customers and flowing stock out after a delivery (6 days a week). It was definitely the best job I've had and I only left to focus on my studies. It is also a rewarding job in that when you do a good job they will let you know. There's definitely opportunities to progress within the company and I feel they do emphasise this. The hardest part of the job was doing repetitive tasks, e.g. you will maintain an area and then have to keep going back to it again and again which can get boring. Around Christmas and any holiday period it also gets busy which can be challenging. But overall the company is very good to work for, I would recommend it. You also have a lot of input into any changes you would recommend for the store and I feel your opinions are valued. The team are all very friendly and I still have strong friendships with those I used to work despite leaving early this year. Personally I would recommend working at Homesense and I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
The pay, opportunities to progress within the company, work-life balance, good hours, variety of contracts available, feedback encouraged and listened to.
Cons
Repetitive tasks.
exciting job with perk, benefits and rewards
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire30 March 2018
The working environment is excellent, there is teamwork and always different opportunity skills to learn. There are rewards, such as certificates for excellency in customer service, strongly taking part in charities and any other ideas that helps the store. Management set up daily briefs and monthly meetings that keeps everything up to date and what plans are expected in the near future. Thus, all workers are kept on their toes and improving on their daily activities and on their job roles.
Pros
all staffs are looked after
Cons
not enough hours, mostly part time
Bad management and arrogant team leaders
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Hale, Greater London1 May 2017
I started to work for TKmaxx in their new store in Tottenham Hale I felt that they were not giving appropriate training to new starters. They expect you to juggle between their departments, you can be on your own taking care of all the store (no one cares if you are struggling), picking up clothes on the floor, helping customers, putting clothes and others products back and ordering them by their department codes. They want you to do it in 1 second. I feel that the harder you work the more they did not appreciate you. They hired so many staff in their opening and dismiss more than half of them with the excuse that they were expecting to have a certain profit but they failed so I ask: What kind of stupid management is that? Obviously I left the job because I was not seeing myself in that jungle.
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor contract hours, poor work environment, bad management team
Fast Paced Working Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield22 October 2018
Working at TK Maxx you need to be able to work quickly and efficiently as tasks are expected to be completed within a given timescale. No work day can be described as typical as there are so many different areas to work in within the stores.
Challenging but rewarding workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset30 January 2017
Maintaining the shop floor was hectic, non-stop but full of rewarding tasks. Customers and management were vocal in their appreciation of the extra effort applied to these tasks. The management team is dedicated and inspiring in their approach to handling crunch situations during peak hours, as well as ensuring high efficiency continuously from its workforce.
I felt I surpassed my own expectations in the role as a result of receiving growing responsibility as the weeks progressed. Being tasked with cashier duties withing the first week allowed me to grow into the customer service aspect of the role and I thrived from the challenges of developing a rapport with customers while familiarising myself with TK Maxx's EPoS and service protocol, all during the company's busiest sales period.
I would thoroughly recommend the benefits package TK Maxx offers its sales team, as well as the nurturing team culture and clear career progression.
Pros
Dynamic team and work environment, comprehensive health benefits
Cons
Irregular work hours
what i learnt
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent26 August 2018
I learnt how to understand what retail is all about, how to re merchandise properly and most of all understand how customer service works. The most enjoyable part of he job was having different challenges each day.
Great pay
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
Very good company to work for- great pay and great people to work with
Relaxed atmosphere!
Management is wobbly- some managers are great people whereas the others aren't so much
chaotic work place
Part time weekend Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath14 June 2016
Mainly working at the registers and tidying and restocking the shop floor. learned how to work quickly and efficiently in a high paced environment and how to interact with customers, helping them find items and answering their questions. The staff caused more stress than the customers who I was very happy to serve. Worst part of the job was when barcodes were missing from items which caused panic, this happened regularly. this meant that other employees would have to find the barcode or similar item to scan who would waste time serving customers as they waited in the queue. managers and team leaders were impatient when you got something wrong even when you had not been told how to carry out specific actions.
Pros
good salary
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon31 August 2018
TKMAXX was an amazing place to work and they were very happy to work around my college and personal life/ schedule. Such caring and helpful staff too.
Good salary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leicester9 August 2018
good place where to work, good opportunities, have a chance to learn new skills, easy to adapt, everyone are supporting each other, time is running really fast.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The TJX Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K