The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Amazing job
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  London10 May 2018
Amazing job with beautiful customers and friendly team.I learned a lot about my customer service, improved my english and also learned a lot about stock rooms, visual merchandising, being very patient and help people when they need it
Pros
Associate disccount
Cons
not enough hours
Incredible place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire8 April 2018
Staff are all so friendly, great environment to work in and good pay. Enjoyable job, not like other retail jobs. TJX are also very eager for their staff to move up in the company and massively encourage it, which I thought was great.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne3 April 2018
My day would vary depending on what I would be on. I learned new skills like confidence and to be able to both approach and be approached by customers. All management were nice and friendly, with a goal to make all staff and customers satisfied. The hardest part of the job was the fact i was only a Christmas temporary so i didn't know if i was staying on. The most enjoyable part was helping the customers and making sure they were happy too.
Pros
The staff are very friendly.
Cons
Messy customers.
n/a
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  stoke5 March 2018
ros
Stable growing business
Fast pace, everyday can be different
Challenging
Cons
Working with some very huge EGOS
Very long tiring days, work doesn’t stop even when you get home.
Payroll restrictions making the day to day difficult.
District managers who Micro Manage. Can be very demotivating.
Cultures and values that aren’t delivered by higher management yet it’s drilled into teams at store level.
DM’s making changes to policy, which are not in the employee handbook.
It was alright
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees22 January 2018
Working for TK MAXX was fun at the start but as soon as they dont like you they dont bother moving you about even though you ask multiple times. The managers get the holidays you ask for wrong and make you work shifts you can not work. They pay everyone differently even if you work the same shifts and as soon as you say anything about health problems they just dont care.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
nobody listens to you, Colleagues are mean when you are not there
Ideal place to work at
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire6 January 2018
The place is very nice to work at. Although there is only a minimum wage, managers and team leaders are helpful and the team is very friendly. I strongly recommend this place of work
Kept me occupied
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex22 September 2017
I like the fact that TK Maxx as a company took me on for the position for floor assistant but I only got given 8 hours a week. However near enough all of the staff were wonderful to speak to and they gave me the correct training I needed to pursue retail.

I found it difficult at first as I was a lot younger both physically and mentally but after one of the staff named Kat kindly invited me round her house for hours of tutorials, I came back a lot more confident and ready to work.
Pros
The support
Cons
Lack of hours
Customer assistant
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham19 September 2017
I was put on a zero hours contract and so didn't know what days I would be working and so couldn't plan my time. I worked over the busy Christmas period.
TK Maxx
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2017
Fun place to work and really enjoyable. Hardest part of the job is management enjoyable part of the job was working with really nice people. Areas should be signposted so people can find the items
Pros
Good experience
Cons
No contract at the end if you are christmas staff
Productive company that offers ongoing staff training and furtherance.
Store - associate (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil4 August 2017
At my time at the store, it was a busy fast paced environment. It was a popular store frequented by many customers and especially busy at weekends. A typical day would involve being the checkout operator that began with picking up our till drawer with float, and signing in. We, as staff greeted the customers cheerfully. The hardest part of the job was to have enough energy to deal with the demands of the fast pace. Even though all tills were open there were still queues. The products offered were of demand and the customers came from far and wide to purchase the goods on offer. The most enjoyable part of the job was offering a good service and acknowledging the customer satisfaction from their shopping experience at the store.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Demanding work
Strong team.
Full Time Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chilwell, Nottinghamshire28 June 2017
The team I work with rotates occasionally but the bond between both associates and the management staff is very strong and family like. There are always opportunities to speak to someone about any issue that you may have inside or outside of work and they will try their best to support you where possible. Sometimes a fast paced environment depending on the store you work in and the time of year but always has exciting moments and new experiences. One of the best jobs for inspiring confidence in shy or quiet people and really brings the personality out of their shell.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
fun work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing Broadway, UK27 May 2017
I was only a shop assistant at TK maxx so i would start off the day by checking my router to check which department i was working in. This is what i liked about the job since i did not have to work in the same department repeatedly. It helped me gain experience in other departments and interact with other members of the TK maxx team. I mostly enjoyed the job because of the people i was working with, they made it fun and made the time go by fast. However, the worst part of the job was cleaning up after the store was closed and this was only because it took longer than expected. Although this was tough at times when we worked as a team we were always able to meet our goal.
Pros
short hours
Cons
fixed timing
Productive and fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire24 May 2017
A typical day at work included getting assigned my area of the store I will be working in, which could be either on the tills or maintaining the shop floor. I learned how to use the stores tannoy as well as how to use the stores tills. The management was excellent, always considerate and helping you when you needed the help. The hardest part of the job was working alone on the stores floor, which meant dealing with maintenance on your own, however is was a challenge which was beneficial. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting loads of different people and making friends within the work place.
fun and productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 May 2017
A typical day at work is basically serving customers, putting stock out and helping customers with any enquiries they might have. I learned how to use the de-tagger. Learned how to use the electronic tills. I met some fantastic people working here, the staff are really friendly and great to get on with. hardest part of the job is getting the queue down before it starts making people angry and upset.
day at work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth19 May 2017
typical day at TK MAX was very busy at it was a very large new store which needed a lot of up keep for example store needed tidy all day to make sure customers could find what they where looking for
Pros
discount
Cons
low hour contracts
productive ,fun workplace, hard working
Store assistant (Current Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside16 May 2017
I think Tk max was good place to work overall, i think the other associates are lovely and hard working people too work with. easy to get too with public transport.
Pros
good lunch breaks, work get togethers
Cons
long hours, stressful jobs
Fun work place and nice surroundings
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire8 May 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the environment was very friendly and lovely colleagues. I was on a very good wage but unfortunately was only part time over Christmas.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Temporary job over christmas
busy, rewarding
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, UK31 March 2017
Working in Tk Maxx as a Christmas temp was rewarding because it was my first ever job and it taught me a lot about customer service. It was busy so you were always doing something. for example I was always checking over the clothes making sure everything was on hangers, and coats were done up etc.
great work place
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall17 March 2017
i enjoyed my time working here as i was able to learn a lot during my short time there. i was busy during most shifts so i was rarely idle. this is a great place to work for your first job
Great if you like being treated like dirt
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon10 February 2017
So I work in a TK Maxx store. It is not good at all. We never have our weekly rota in advanced. The managers and the Security team have a click and they spend all their free time watching you instead of criminals. They will make you feel like all your mistakes are on purpose and that you deliberately went out of your way to make this mistake. When you do a good thing you do not get praised for it either. They only promote the people they like despite others being at a higher level or better. When you ask for extra contracted hours because you would like to buy your first home they tell you that "its not a good enough reason" or that "you are not management material so you can not progress" they also said that "if I find another job they will not beg me to stay" despite doing this for others.

The expect the world and if you manage to give it to you they still moan about how long it took.
Pros
None really. Unless you are best friends with the manager
Cons
Bad management. Unrealistic targets. Bullying. No progression

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The TJX Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K