The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,213 reviews matching the search See all 5,026 reviews
They take you for a mug
Associate (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands7 December 2018
I work at the STM department which is the worse department in the whole company. Management will talk to you like a child. They give you unrealistic targets then will use this as a threat not to extend your contract. I worked some overtime which was paid at £1.58 an hour, they told me that those hours were included in my basic pay but then changed their story to it's been added on top of your basic pay, which wasn't as my basic pay remained the same. Then they deducted 9hrs as absence unpaid on top of my 4 days of being offsick. When asked when this error will be rectified they responded with "We don't know"
I emailed HR twice to no response. It would be a nice place to work if management wasn't stuck up their own backside and the wages were correct. Other staff members are fantastic and will help you when management doesn't get involved.
If you dare to speak to someone, management will give you the look or have a go at you. You see many managers just walking around and on their phones, private mobile, while staff members aren't allowed to have their phones with them.
The hours are good, it's either early or late shift and you know how you work for the entire year. You work 4 days then have 3 days off, these can be split though but always have a minimum of 2 days off together. You work 1 in 3 weekends.
The car park is a joke, Ioads of people walk or cycle to work which is highly recommended as it can take 10-15 minutes to get out of the carpark
Pros
money when paid correctly
Cons
management
Worst work place ever
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 November 2018
The managers were horrible, had no manners and just didn't care about you or how you were. there was no friendliness withing the company and i would advise anyone thinking of working their DON'T.
was fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire26 November 2018
sometime it used to be quit. however, Merchandising in store with new product was always fun. nothing was really hard other then when miscellaneous product at the till and then getting code for that from other stores which was waste of time.
Nice staff and management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands24 November 2018
very nice place to work for but is a hard job if u can stand on your feet for 9 hours a day u will be fine, pay is also good and have a lovely cantine you can sit in on your break
Just Dont
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire24 November 2018
If you value your mental health then DO NOT apply to join at any TKMaxx store. You will be overworked as all stores are understaffed and you will be set impossible tasks to complete. If these tasks are not complete then you will be scolded at the next working day. This is a continuous cycle as the workload is too much for one person.
The Rota is always up late in the week so you cant plan ahead.
Random working hours (3.30 - 8 30 for example) so you have no work life balance.
Management is terrible.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Everything. Avoid at all costs
Good for retail
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex22 November 2018
Working here is nice because all of the staff get on and everyone knows and helps each other. Very welcoming. Typical day is usual retail tasks, tills and tidying mainly. Only downfall of this shop is that there are no consistent hours. I usually do four hours one day from 7 in the morning and 7 hours the next day working until 9pm. Management are very friendly and easy to talk to.
Pros
Good pay for retail. Nice people and company to work for.
Cons
Early/ late hours
Fine as long as your store has decent management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford21 November 2018
Enjoyed working here until we lost a number of good managers when they moved on to other stores. It is not a nice to place to work any more due to poor management and lack of appreciation for the staff.
Good Work Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent20 November 2018
Good hours I was always able to get more when i needed extra money good quality stock and a good work expieriance and work place, enjoyed working here
productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wandsworth, Greater London18 November 2018
My day to day job includes
● Attending to customers
● Providing knowledgeable advice in a confident manner
● Replenishing stock
● Processing customer refunds and exchanges
● Arranging displays
● Recommending merchandise
● Monitoring for any fraudulent activities and reporting fraud alerts
● Cash handling
● Re-ticketing and retagging products
● Ensuring the shop floor and store environment is of immaculate
condition and safety
● Processing online orders
● Maintaining knowledge of current sales and promotions
● Dealing with any complaints and queries.
● Building relationships with customers to increase level of
customer retention
As a result, I have further strengthened and enhanced my communication,
leadership, customer service, team working skills, confidence and
understanding of retail. Getting to know the regular customers has helped
to strengthen my interpersonal skills.
Furthermore, this role has deepened my understanding of the value and
importance of accounting in business and why it is referred to as the
‘language of business’.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
not my career job
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  middlands14 November 2018
fast pace business, great team moral. every day is different, team leader share the duties out fairly and ensure all team members have a varied day. Team work is essential!
Pros
fast pace buissness
Cons
short notice rota change
nice
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff4 November 2018
ideal place to work for a beginner. lots of opportunity for your professional excellence. Nice team members with great management. Always have great feelings for that place
I’d definitely recommended but it is hard
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merseyside3 November 2018
The pay is really good and you’re always busy ( good or bad for some ) but it makes the day go really fast, your days do vary depending on which management is in and how well you get on with the management. If they see that you are a hard worker you’re going to have a good time at work just make sure to be polite and respectful at all times and you’ll get it back, even if it takes a while - I think this can be difficult for older staff because sometimes the management is younger than them but you still have to see them as the ‘authoritive figure’ if you will. I’ve met some incredible people while working here, I think it is what you make it you need to make the best of each day. This job has taught me so much I wouldn’t change working for TK maxx for a second you will experience the worst customers and the busiest days, I advise all new staff to spend the first few months Learning how to do all the tasks efficiently because it will make your day 100x easier and you’ll be valued a lot more. As a company itself I think they need to take on more staff of different ages but I can see why younger people are more likely to apply and get further. It is a tough job and you will be tired a lot but you just have to stay positive. The ‘ wow ‘ feedback system is really benefitial because it means we do get some sort of reward for our hard work but sometimes the paper isn’t put up with the feedback we’ve gotten so I don’t know what’s been said I just know someone’s said something good. Last but not least once you’ve worked at TK max you can work for any retail company and the skills are  more... transferable.  less
Pros
Pay, meeting new people, loads of experience, busy, discount
Cons
Busy, very tiring, late shifts, communication can be lacking sometimes, rota gets put up exteremely late
None I have nothing to say
Associate (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon2 November 2018
I learnt nothing because I’m alway in the same place at the till and The fitting room i think that everyone say something bad about another and some of the people in the store are disrespectful
Pros
Discount
I like what Iam doing.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne2 November 2018
A typical day of work : maintenans the store, put the tag,stay to the fitting room and till.
The easy part is when the store it`s busy.
So far I have not seen any hard side until now.
Tkmaxx
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex1 November 2018
I have been working there for around 3 months now, there is bad management and you don't get recognized for all your efforts that you've been making..
I enjoyed the Job but the Management was poor.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge1 November 2018
The Job as a whole I enjoyed, it was a great place to work, always plenty to do, however the management was shockingly bad always belittling the staff.
Productive and Rewarding
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire31 October 2018
Expected to work in a variety of departments and can be stressful at times to work in, especially at weekends. However, the job is rewarding as a feel like I have grown as a person
Easy going workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow29 October 2018
a normal day in this role meant a lot of time speaking to customers about many different things and helping them where possible. Management were fair and friendly and very supportive of my development.
Pros
Staff discount
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol29 October 2018
Good company to work for. Management and staff pleasant.
I Learnt new skills that I find useful in everyday.
The hardest part was dealing with the peak busy periods.
Fun Wrokplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex26 October 2018
An enjoyable workplace where the hours take away from the enjoyment. A lot of pressure is put on staff to constantly be available at short notice. The job itself is interesting and challenging in it's own way but it reaches a limit with little opportunity for career advancement.
Pros
Interesting workplace
Cons
Irregular hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The TJX Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K