The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust

The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Proud to be part of the Team, On a Journey of Improvement
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire11 April 2019
I love coming to work and making a difference, it genuinely feels like that for me. At SaTH I see everyday staff working hard to help give great care to patients, despite government underfunding and historic problems the trust is on a journey of improvement which I can see happening and believe will be achieved.
No workplace is perfect and it is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, but thankfully these few don't stop those carrying out their work for the love of the job and their belief in the Trust.
Pros
Job Security, NHS discounts
Cons
Negative Reviews? Believe the Hype.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Shropshire11 February 2019
I can only concur with the negative reviews of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SATH). There is a culture within the organisation where bullying behaviour in all its forms appears to be the normal MO. SATH has an official set of values and standards which underpins its mission and service delivery. These are:

• Proud to Care.
• Make It Happen.
• We Value Respect.
• Together We Achieve.

From experience there are many wonderful staff who are proud to care and work mightily hard in austerity and constant deficit. However there are many at senior operational and managerial level who seemingly only care about meeting targets. The Trust runs a leadership academy but it would appear that leadership and management are ticks in the box and another course to attend. It was a rarity to meet anyone who understood leadership is behaviour, leading by example rather than ‘do as I say’.

As for making it happen, achieving together this is pure ‘pie on the sky’ wording for effect, corporate jargon. Departments are so diametrically opposed when it comes to collaboration it’s more akin to a school playground.

Finally valuing respect is quite possibly the most contravened Value in the Trust. On a daily basis I witnessed first hand staff being belittled in front of service users, staff throwing their titles or appointments around and woe betide if you’ve the audacity to challenge, managers going around the houses to get the answer they want (generally a yes) and regular use of implied threat (to get own way). Also regular reneging on previously agreed course of actions
  more... or decisions because it no longer suited were prevalent.

Thankfully the area I worked in was in the main supportive and empowering with a good team who all brought something to the party to deliver a service; good leadership and management skills were also demonstrated as and when appropriate both for the benefit of the individual and team.

Ergo, working within the NHS can be demoralising and rewarding in equal measure and SATH is a prime example. There are some amazing people in SATH but they are slowly being demoralised by poor ineffectual leadership and managers who ‘talk the talk’ but never leave their ivory tower let alone ‘walk the walk’. Thankfully this awful culture has now been acknowledged so hopefully things will change and the Trust becomes the hospital it aspires to be.

Good luck!
#TrueStory
Pros
Hard working and inspirational colleagues.
Cons
Ineffectual, egotistical and poor managers
Doing well despite the challenges
Technician (Current Employee) –  Royal Shrewsbury Hospital25 January 2019
SATH is a very open and approachable organisation to work for, despite government underfunding and historic problems which are inherited by management they do their best to turn every negative into positive learning and actively promote the good work and achievements that happen every single day.

It is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, these values underpin day-to-day life and in every ward, office, treatment room and corridor you will find someone who is carrying out their work for the love of the job and belief in the organisation.

I love SATH, 5 years since moving from another Trust and 13 years in the NHS I plan to be here for quite a few more years to come.
Pros
Staff benefits, flexible working, learning and development opportunities, equality, great canteens and cafes, large supportive network and the appreciation of our patients, their relatives and carers
Cons
Understaffing, ethos of some negative staff, parking
18 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear you are having a positive experience, and we will also take note of anything you have highlighted in this review.

Forgotten Staff
Nurse (Current Employee) –  RSH25 January 2019
Having worked in a substantive role, and now on the bank. You are not cared for or managed, you get to know nothing ie what updates are needed to better performance and care, no one cares whether you do even statutory courses let alone any professional development. The web says we will help with your revalidation - no one cared.

You book shifts in specific areas that you feel comfortable to work in, then get moved. I've even been left to look after up to 13 patients.

It's hard to recruit permanent staff, even on the bank you can be left in charge with agency RNs and HCAs that have never worked in the trust. At times it's very dangerous, you voice your concerns and are totally ignored.
Pros
Plenty of bank shifts
Cons
Poor staffing, frequent moves, on the bank no one cares about you
18 February 2019

We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. Your feedback is important, and something we will look into.

Have you contacted our Freedom to Speak Up Guardians? Freedom to Speak Up Guardians act in an independent capacity to support and help drive the Trust to make it a safer place for patients and staff and a more open place to work. They can be contacted on sath.valuesguardian@nhs.net.

Alternatively, you can contact the tempory staffing department and speak to them about any concerns you have - ext 2805.

Can be a good place - can also be a nightmare.
Administrative (Former Employee) –  RSH25 January 2019
It very much depends on where you work. I worked in an operational area with the most incredible team. I also worked in a non-operational area with a management team devoid of management and people skills! There is undoubtedly a bullying culture in some areas - if you're one of the favoured few the world's your oyster. If not then God help you. I was subjected to harassment, victimisation, unfair treatment and eventually left SaTH.
Pros
Some lovely people.
Cons
Some very unpleasant and unprofessional people
18 February 2019

Your feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped.

We would like to discuss this further with you, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Mentally and physically gruelling
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bank staff8 December 2018
Very understaffed wards leading to poor care . Staff are run of their feet and the higher ups do not care. Have received lots of abuse of patients families about care of their family members and it really gets you down.
Hospital is full of dementia patients.
No staff rooms .
One toilet between 30 plus employees.
Glad I left when I did to work in retail.
28 December 2018

We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Staff Nurse Band 5
Band 5 Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire7 November 2018
Overall a good learning environment- plenty of opportunities for further learning.
Too too busy with too few staff , so staff are moved around a lot often at short notice.
Places too high demand on staff to ensure staff stay long term
More investment in retention of staff and looking after substantive staff would ensure greater stability
Pros
Training and Stability
Cons
Not enough investment in substantive nurses
18 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is important and we will feed this back to the relevant teams.

Depending on the department you may be ok...
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire30 October 2018
Fortunately for myself I worked with a good team of people and had a very supportive management structure. The work ethic in my team was fantastic and morale was consistently good. The job itself wasn't the best but I knew what I had signed up for. Unfortunately it's not the case for other departments where you see more management than ground staff, a lot of 'do as I say not as I do' attitude, and supervisors with horrendous people skills. There is a lot of 'if your face fits' that happens here in terms of progression and preferential treatment. To have day to day contact with members of staff and see them slowly being worn down and defeated by management was not a nice experience to say the least. So depending on what department you work in you may have a fantastic experience, on the flip side you may be walking into an area that can knock all confidence out of yourself and wear you down.
Pros
Amazing colleagues
Cons
Some areas of management are horrendous
18 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not entirely one we would want you to have. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Midwifery
Midwife (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom16 December 2017
Care for women and their families throughout pregnancy, labour and after birth. Lots of time management and lone working. Use various methods of communication. Love meeting an working with new people, challenging part of the job is limitations within the NHS and staffing issues,
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
NHS limitations
Good time mostly good team worked hard
Hospital Porter (Former Employee) –  Redwoods Shrewsbury19 September 2017
7.45-6.30 Learned to work hard as a team and on my own Management ? Workplace good culture friendly. Hardest part short staffed , meeting the clients ,
Pros
Pensions
Cons
short staffed
Good Company
Senior Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital17 September 2017
A good company to work for that encourages development and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements.

Excellent governance structure lead by an excellent Director.
hard working staff let down by poor resources
Midwife (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire12 August 2017
staff keen to make RSH as good as it can be but dwindling resources make optimal car difficult. Staff friendly and helpful and will go out of their way for both patients and colleagues.
Busy place to work
Moving & Handling Advisor – Band 5. (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury31 July 2017
The Trust is a busy and stressful place to work. Good environment to learn. Needs to improve its recruitment process. Lots of opportunities once you've started work there
Good
Midwife (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire26 July 2017
Hard work and many staff shortages. Morale quite low at present . Great care provision for the patients despite the staffing levels.. Great colleagues who make a great team
Pros
Satisfying job
Cons
Short staffed
Poor management bullies and very clicky
Non clinical role (Former Employee) –  Cancer services14 July 2017
If you expect to be treated with respect valued for your hard work and dedication then don't work here
I also worked In Cancer services as the previous commentator said they bully ignore and cold shoulder staff who are not in their club left feeling demoralised and belittled
Jobs are Given to those who they like, sickness records openly discussed and when a complaint is made the managers stick together making it impossible to get any issues resolved I complained to the trade union who are fully aware of the issues but have little impact upon this closed shop attitude
Pros
Good volunteers and staff on chemotherapy day centre are very kind
I'd rather be jobless than work here again
Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire23 June 2017
Total bullying culture, especially within the MDT team in cancer services which is disgusting considering what they are there to do. Non existant management who are fully aware of the state of their team but would rather their staff tear chunks out of each other than get involved. So unprofessional it's unreal, people that were signed off sick we're constantly discussed within the office, conversations about how people with mental health issues are attention seekers, Christians referred to as god botherers, the list goes on. I would work for the NHS again, but I would never work at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital again.
Pros
The clinical staff are wonderful to work with
Cons
Poor management, unprofessional, bullying culture, no progression
Care/setting environment
Healthcare assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire8 June 2017
Patient care needs, eg. Washing, dressing, update observations and documentation along with excellent communication and customer service skills on a daily basis and to provide a friendly atmosphere. To promote and to make a difference to people in their lives with their recovery.
Pros
Patient care/ meeting new people/ different challenges.
Cons
Long hours per day (12.5)
Brilliant for learning acute assessment but poorly managed
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury UK10 January 2017
Advantanced skills obtained
Acute assessment learnt and invaluable
Poorly managed
Poor work life balance due to shift pattern
Short staffed
A&e
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  A&E30 November 2016
Management is none existence in A&E. Un educated bullies who climb the ladder by being horrible to staff. It goes to show promotion from nvq managers will never be the same as graduate from GCSEs to A level then university.
Pros
Good tired agency staff
Cons
long hours with horrible lazy managers
Enjoyed the cosier working environment.....
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford13 August 2015
However, as a trust, they could be more dynamic. I worked in a large teaching hospital for 12 years prior to working in SATH - my roles varied enormously between the two, almost as if i had stepped back in time. They need to be more dynamic as a trust.
Pros
Community feel to the hospital
Cons
It's nursing, so yes, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9