The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust

The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
The job can be extremely hard work on the wards, at times short staffed and staffed sometimes get moved to other wards due to short staffing leaving our ward short staff and staff under immense pressure and stressed. The job however is a rewarding job seeing your patients get better and knowing you were part of their recovery but environment is very stressful and exhausting and the hours are long, and as said earlier the added stress is when people get moved to other wards leading staff dreading coming to work
Pros
Caring for patients
Cons
Long hours and short staffed
18 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write it, and will ensure the details are forwarded on.
Management. You might be lucky and get a good manager most are only managers because they have been there so long and will never know how to manage people. Everyone is under so much stress. You are not valued and the bullying culture is bad. You only get on as long as your face fits.
Great place to work with lots of room for gaining experience in different departments should you want this.

A lot of on-site training available.

Staff are encouraged to speak up should they have any issues.
Awful place I worked in hr and was subjected to bullying and discrimination. If Hr cannot get it right I'm afraid there is no hope. I raised concerns when I left and brushed under carpet. Too scared to raise while still employed there. I was lucky enough to get a job in private healthcare sector. Total opposite hr fantastic and would never return to shrewsbury nhs. Full of bullies.
20 November 2019
We are unhappy to hear your comments, whilst the Trust is making positive steps towards tackling pockets of problematic behaviour, we know there is work to be done. Would you be happy to provide further information to sath.jobs@nhs.net so we can look into this in further detail?
Former employee experienced racism from staff & patients & bullying, when reported they do absolutely nothing to resolve the issues & pretend it doesn't happen. The management & white people stick together, when a person of a different culture speaks up they are threatened with their job. Terrible management, nurse's care for their own kind better than minorities, I have seen this with my one eyes & they continue this attitude as if its normal. They expect you to the job roles that you are not trained to do & is the nurse's role & if u object, you get reported & subsequently they block you from booking any shifts there. Behind the smile of staff are racist & biased. This is not a place if you're of a different culture to come to this so-called hospital.
Cons
Racist staff & management
19 August 2019
We are very sorry to hear of your experience working at the Trust. The Trust is an equal opportunities employer and has a zero tolerance approach to discrimination on any grounds. We take matters like this very seriously and want to talk to you about your experience so that we can learn from it and take appropriate action. No one working at the Trust should experience racism of any kind and we are very concerned about your comments about patient care. Please contact our HR department on 01952 641222 extension 4527.
I love coming to work and making a difference, it genuinely feels like that for me. At SaTH I see everyday staff working hard to help give great care to patients, despite government underfunding and historic problems the trust is on a journey of improvement which I can see happening and believe will be achieved.
No workplace is perfect and it is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, but thankfully these few don't stop those carrying out their work for the love of the job and their belief in the Trust.
Pros
Job Security, NHS discounts
Cons
I can only concur with the negative reviews of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SATH). There is a culture within the organisation where bullying behaviour in all its forms appears to be the normal MO. SATH has an official set of values and standards which underpins its mission and service delivery. These are:

• Proud to Care.

• Make It Happen.

• We Value Respect.

• Together We Achieve.

From experience there are many wonderful staff who are proud to care and work mightily hard in austerity and constant deficit. However there are many at senior operational and managerial level who seemingly only care about meeting targets. The Trust runs a leadership academy but it would appear that leadership and management are ticks in the box and another course to attend. It was a rarity to meet anyone who understood leadership is behaviour, leading by example rather than ‘do as I say’.

As for making it happen, achieving together this is pure ‘pie on the sky’ wording for effect, corporate jargon. Departments are so diametrically opposed when it comes to collaboration it’s more akin to a school playground.

Finally valuing respect is quite possibly the most contravened Value in the Trust. On a daily basis I witnessed first hand staff being belittled in front of service users, staff throwing their titles or appointments around and woe betide if you’ve the audacity to challenge, managers going around the houses to get the answer they want (generally a yes) and regular use of implied threat (to get own way). Also regular reneging on previously agreed course of actions
 - more...
Pros
Hard working and inspirational colleagues.
Cons
Ineffectual, egotistical and poor managers
SATH is a very open and approachable organisation to work for, despite government underfunding and historic problems which are inherited by management they do their best to turn every negative into positive learning and actively promote the good work and achievements that happen every single day.

It is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, these values underpin day-to-day life and in every ward, office, treatment room and corridor you will find someone who is carrying out their work for the love of the job and belief in the organisation.

I love SATH, 5 years since moving from another Trust and 13 years in the NHS I plan to be here for quite a few more years to come.
Pros
Staff benefits, flexible working, learning and development opportunities, equality, great canteens and cafes, large supportive network and the appreciation of our patients, their relatives and carers
Cons
Understaffing, ethos of some negative staff, parking
18 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear you are having a positive experience, and we will also take note of anything you have highlighted in this review.
Having worked in a substantive role, and now on the bank. You are not cared for or managed, you get to know nothing ie what updates are needed to better performance and care, no one cares whether you do even statutory courses let alone any professional development. The web says we will help with your revalidation - no one cared.

You book shifts in specific areas that you feel comfortable to work in, then get moved. I've even been left to look after up to 13 patients.

It's hard to recruit permanent staff, even on the bank you can be left in charge with agency RNs and HCAs that have never worked in the trust. At times it's very dangerous, you voice your concerns and are totally ignored.
Pros
Plenty of bank shifts
Cons
Poor staffing, frequent moves, on the bank no one cares about you
18 February 2019
We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. Your feedback is important, and something we will look into.

Have you contacted our Freedom to Speak Up Guardians? Freedom to Speak Up Guardians act in an independent capacity to support and help drive the Trust to make it a safer place for patients and staff and a more open place to work. They can be contacted on sath.valuesguardian@nhs.net.

Alternatively, you can contact the tempory staffing department and speak to them about any concerns you have - ext 2805.
It very much depends on where you work. I worked in an operational area with the most incredible team. I also worked in a non-operational area with a management team devoid of management and people skills! There is undoubtedly a bullying culture in some areas - if you're one of the favoured few the world's your oyster. If not then God help you. I was subjected to harassment, victimisation, unfair treatment and eventually left SaTH.
Pros
Some lovely people.
Cons
Some very unpleasant and unprofessional people
18 February 2019
Your feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped.

We would like to discuss this further with you, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust?
Very understaffed wards leading to poor care . Staff are run of their feet and the higher ups do not care. Have received lots of abuse of patients families about care of their family members and it really gets you down.
Hospital is full of dementia patients.

No staff rooms .

One toilet between 30 plus employees.

Glad I left when I did to work in retail.
28 December 2018
We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.
Overall a good learning environment- plenty of opportunities for further learning.
Too too busy with too few staff , so staff are moved around a lot often at short notice.

Places too high demand on staff to ensure staff stay long term

More investment in retention of staff and looking after substantive staff would ensure greater stability
Pros
Training and Stability
Cons
Not enough investment in substantive nurses
18 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is important and we will feed this back to the relevant teams.
Fortunately for myself I worked with a good team of people and had a very supportive management structure. The work ethic in my team was fantastic and morale was consistently good. The job itself wasn't the best but I knew what I had signed up for. Unfortunately it's not the case for other departments where you see more management than ground staff, a lot of 'do as I say not as I do' attitude, and supervisors with horrendous people skills. There is a lot of 'if your face fits' that happens here in terms of progression and preferential treatment. To have day to day contact with members of staff and see them slowly being worn down and defeated by management was not a nice experience to say the least. So depending on what department you work in you may have a fantastic experience, on the flip side you may be walking into an area that can knock all confidence out of yourself and wear you down.
Pros
Amazing colleagues
Cons
Some areas of management are horrendous
18 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not entirely one we would want you to have. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.
Care for women and their families throughout pregnancy, labour and after birth. Lots of time management and lone working. Use various methods of communication. Love meeting an working with new people, challenging part of the job is limitations within the NHS and staffing issues,
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
NHS limitations
7.45-6.30 Learned to work hard as a team and on my own Management ? Workplace good culture friendly. Hardest part short staffed , meeting the clients ,
Pros
Pensions
Cons
short staffed
A good company to work for that encourages development and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements.

Excellent governance structure lead by an excellent Director.
staff keen to make RSH as good as it can be but dwindling resources make optimal car difficult. Staff friendly and helpful and will go out of their way for both patients and colleagues.
The Trust is a busy and stressful place to work. Good environment to learn. Needs to improve its recruitment process. Lots of opportunities once you've started work there
Hard work and many staff shortages. Morale quite low at present . Great care provision for the patients despite the staffing levels.. Great colleagues who make a great team
Pros
Satisfying job
Cons
Short staffed
If you expect to be treated with respect valued for your hard work and dedication then don't work here
I also worked In Cancer services as the previous commentator said they bully ignore and cold shoulder staff who are not in their club left feeling demoralised and belittled

Jobs are Given to those who they like, sickness records openly discussed and when a complaint is made the managers stick together making it impossible to get any issues resolved I complained to the trade union who are fully aware of the issues but have little impact upon this closed shop attitude
Pros
Good volunteers and staff on chemotherapy day centre are very kind
Total bullying culture, especially within the MDT team in cancer services which is disgusting considering what they are there to do. Non existant management who are fully aware of the state of their team but would rather their staff tear chunks out of each other than get involved. So unprofessional it's unreal, people that were signed off sick we're constantly discussed within the office, conversations about how people with mental health issues are attention seekers, Christians referred to as god botherers, the list goes on. I would work for the NHS again, but I would never work at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital again.
Pros
The clinical staff are wonderful to work with
Cons
Poor management, unprofessional, bullying culture, no progression
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8