THE SHEFFIELD COLLEGE

THE SHEFFIELD COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom11 reviews
Sheffield College has a poor reputation, and with good reason. As an employer, most staff are temporary, and are employed through the colleges own 'recruitment agency', meaning that they are paying themselves to hire you. This also means that working for the college isn't secure, and they can (and do) change your terms and conditions of employment whenever they choose to. My salary was several thousand pounds a year less when I started, than what was agreed at interview. This was rectified within a few weeks, but this was no mistake.
Pros
Catering students create interesting lunches
Cons
Salary, conditions, environment
I have enjoyed my time at the Sheffield College as I have learnt a lot about myself along the way. I have also learnt incredible life skills about working in an industry. The hardest part of this job was probably the campaign planning and attending governing body meetings.
I taught ESOL, It was an interesting matter to teach students of different backgrounds . I did part-time from Monday to Friday. I visited so many different places as requested.
I love my job, but economic pressures, constant re-structures,targets, and pressure from management make it hard. I guess most schools would be the same!
Pros
teaching
Cons
I am looking for alternative work as my position ceased due to position changing, not necessarily doing the same type of role.

I have had varied experience since leaving school in 1978.

I am looking for work admin based and database rather than a secretarial position, preferably in the public sector or educational environment, or government agency.
Pros
variety
Cons
couldn't continue because not enough work for me
Enjoyable and rewarding work supporting students with a variety of abilities, mental health problems and learning difficulties. The work culture was one of support for students and staff, from team members. The hardest par of the job was the lack of resources for support, which was offset by the joy of the interaction with students and seeing them progress.
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Educational cuts
Friendly people and culture, but management, systems, processes etc. are holding the college back and are quite antiquated, The general day to day life at the college is quite relaxed.
Depending on who your manager is, as in most places, depends on how satisfied you are in your job. I've been here a while and seen a lot of changes and not always in the best interest of the students. Overall - most people are nice enough, its been a good experience, but don't expect to climb the ladder - the opportunities just aren't there.
Pros
can be flexible with childcare issues etc.
Cons
long hours, heaviliy reliant on goodwill and dedicated staff to work for free.
what can I say all good stuff and self marketing and job hunting and networking and a pride to myself and others you cant go wrong in education and the need for it even late in life
good
Great fun teaching History of Art and Art. Good colleagues, and good working atmosphere. Organised lots of trips to centres of culture. Good work life balance. Learned a great deal about Art
• To manage and run the print room facilities
• To maintain and re-stock the art department cupboards

• To aid the coverage of classes in tutor absence

• To supervise off-site student trips

• To order new stationery using the online ordering systems
Pros
Learnt how to use large format printers
Cons
Zero hours contract so summer holidays are so quiet I have no working hours