The Scout Association

The Scout Association Employee Reviews

United Kingdom16 reviews
Great organisation in helping young people learn new skills. Support from higher up in the organisation is very good and useful for the running of the sections.
Never a dull moment working here. Whether on the road supporting volunteers or in the head office, it’s a lovely culture and real family vibe. Quite a healthy outlook- lunchtime walks, activities and chance to be outdoorsy.
If you work effectively, you’ll fit in and go far.
Volunteering in the local community with The Scout Association adds to your experience base. Putting the next generation on the right track and installing teamwork in them can only improve your local area.
The workplace culture was quite relaxed; I managed my own time and learnt a range of new management skills and techniques. The most enjoyable part of the job was establishing new Scout Groups & Sections.
Pros
Managing my own time and work programme.
Cons
Mostly evening work with significant travel.
Scouting is a big part of my life, and has helped me overcome challenged and to learn many new skills since i have been in the movement. we are the largest youth charity in the world.
Scouting has been a fun, exciting, educational and teamwork experience, which has helped my development with young people and leaders, as well as helping the young people to develop their own personalities through games, activities and camps
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Hours of volunteering
The scouts association is part time charity work I do on a Wednesday night between 7 and 9 and some weekends. It has taught me a lot about dealing with kids of all ages and also their parents. It is a fun environment due to its playful nature but also has taught me to be very hands on and reliable, testing my ability to think on the spot and my ability to solve problems.
Pros
provides great life experiences and skills
Cons
no pay for work
I really enjoyed my time as a scout leader however this job was a volunteer position.
The management need to assist the volunteers more often, as fast as they are getting leaders in they leave.
In an organisation such as the Scouting Movement it's quite impossible and indeed pointless to make generalisations about anything because the franchise is so wide and the workers are mostly volunteers.
Rather than work, I found this job a way to enjoy myself as I enjoyed the environment. Scouts is a great opportunity for children to get involved in more activities in situations they can have fun in. All of the leaders found it enjoyable, alongside their usual everyday jobs. I gained responsibility whilst working with the beavers and understood how to work with children with special needs.
Pros
I was constantly working with people which I really enjoy.
Cons
Working with lots of excitable children can be hard at points.
bad parents lovley kids

bad bad parents all about, never work in the education sector unless you want to loose all faith in humanity and the system will live under.
Great organisation to be a part of, helping childrens and young adults lives change for the better. Educating and enhancing many aspects of their lives and giving them new perspectives on things they never thought of.

Fun for everyone and very rewarding.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Lots of outside work
It's so much fun working with young children, yet challenging at the same time.
A varied programme is needed to keep the children's attention, however the challenge is well worth it when you get to see their happy faces.
Pros
Giving back to the community
Cons
Worked there for two years for the retail side of the Scout Association.

Development and learning was self-taught, tried to get further training which was consistently stopped for one reason or another.

Work culture can be very isolating, although in general co-workers very friendly.

Company insights insecurities within job roles and task management. Experienced this first hand from certain individuals who thought I was threatening their job roles.

Salary band and grading system so out of date and unreliable, after five years service there is no further progression and salary increments and no other incentives to move forward.
Pros
Getting staff discount on products
Cons
No career progression and high expectations when in lower skilled position.
I created and ran activities for the cubs to perform on a weekly basis. In my time I was able to improve my social and collaborative skills with my colleagues and the Cub Scout leader, as well as the cubs themselves. The hardest part of the experience was dealing with the cubs issues in the most empathetic way, a challenge i also enjoyed.
The Scout Association is an amazing organisation and it was a deep honour to have directed the internal and external communications for the Movement that changed 106 years of history and accepted atheists as members.

The organisation is one of the finest I have worked with at the SMT and under the leadership of the newly appointed CEO
Pros
Motivated, highly professional and dedicated team