The Scottish Government

The Scottish Government Employee Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews
You are usually given quite a high level of autonomy and applying yourself and working hard offers good progression.

I worked for the SG for about 5 and a half years and in that time I attained 3 promotions.
Felt safe and comfortable.
Kept to legal employment law. Would be flexible to time off. Friendly and family oriented. Gave all employees confidence to make the right initiative and fun community spirit. There was a good liaison with trade unions and management. Work ethics were encouraged and promoted. Opportunity to make a career for all personnel. Work environment was safe and cosy. Plenty of breaks in nice relaxing break areas. Medical supervision and resources made available to all personnel. Management approachable
Coming from a background of not having gone on to college or university has not affected my managers view of me as I do my work. I feel empowered to share ideas and develop my opportunities.
good work environment; friendly staff and extremely comprehensive human resources. Possibility to work flexibly and good pay. Overall, I would recommend to anyone
i worked there for just over a year as part of a contract, i really enjoyed the team i was with as they were kind, the work i was tasked with was easy and went by quickly/
Pros
friendly team
Great stepping stone into the civil service and department for agriculture. Good wage for a first job and clear career progression even within seasonal work.
Pros
lunch and travel reimbursed
Cons
hard Job, Tests after training must be passed
Plenty of ways to progress. there are good opportunities to move up into different stages in the Scottish government. The people are lovely to work alongside.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Repetitive work
scottish government good on cv good wage and security ideal to start carer and move up the ladder open to other job opportunites and progress to other positions within scottish government
Good place to work with great people. The opportunity coming in as an apprentice is amazing. Staff will develop you as much as possible. In general, it is a good working environment with good chances to progress
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Can be difficult to deal with those higher up.
I was able to develop skills I didn't even know I had.
I enjoyed going to work everyday, and found the atmosphere incredibly supportive and encouraging - pushing me to do my best, and to push past what I previously thought my best was.
When I took a B2 post here, I anticipated moving up to a B3 post within around a year based on my level of work experience and qualifications. However, I was unfortunate with my line manager and team leader. At my 9 month probation, I was marked down (bye bye permanent contract) due to issues relating to dyslexia. I voiced my concerns about the unfair (and unlawful) way my case was handled (was also still waiting for workplace adjustments) but to uphold a complaint required going through the grievance process. Given how stressful my time here already was, I promptly found myself a promotion elsewhere instead.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Discrimination
Some days busy with tasks such as meetings to be arranged and travel to be booked, I earned a lot of things through training courses and other Modern Apprentices, the most enjoyable was learning new thibgs everyday and working alongside various teams, I think the hardest part would be working with contract people as you get a coonection working with them and then the time comes for them to leave. I think a management side needs to be worked on, it sometimes felt like bullying
Cons
Long hours worked even using flexi system
Started 1998, left 2015. Every day something new. Lots of autonomy in the role, but a difficult client base, who required innovative approaches to get them to engage.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Difficult clientele
You are given a decent amount of annual leave along with a lot of bank holidays. The salary is ok, but it is balanced for the amount of work you have to do up to a certain grade.
Good place to work with great staff.
Management let you get on with the job. The culture was laid back but serious when required.

Always busy but the workload was well managed.
Pros
Free parking
frienadly very very very friensdly and hppy palce to work , goodspteppnig stone to get into the working ladder and amazing modern apprenticeship oppertunitys
working in the wider sg was really friendy and a good stepping stone , the MA scheme is amazing and gives young people such a good opportunity in life to get onto the work laldder
Pros
fre lunch
Cons
long days
I am currently employed with The Scottish Government in the Social Justice Delivery team as a B2 Policy Officer. I have held this post since August 2017 and have taken great strides in knowledge and understanding of the many different policy and delivery issues that fall within the team and how this connects with wider policy. I thoroughly enjoy working in fast paced policy area with competing priorities and delivering on Ministerial commitments. As a B2 I lead on Ministerial briefings, PQs and correspondence for the team in addition to supporting the administration of grant funds and handling complex FOI requests. I have supported Ministers at events and meetings and provide secretariat support for a stakeholder group tasked with tackling food poverty.
Pros
Interesting perople, great work life balance
Cons
Ministerial demands can sometimes take priority over crucial work.
Work at Scottish Government was engaging, with many opportunities for personal development. I was able to learn a great deal over a short time. Strong emphasis on supporting each other's work.
Good place to work but poor training department and little oppertunity to progress when I was there. I also found communication between departments to be poor until I implemented cross team working to maximise productivity and efficiencies to minimise business risk.
Pros
Local
Cons
Lack of training and career progression
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the SG and learned a lot of new skills during my time in the various roles I had during my tme with the SG. This includes promotion from B1 to B2.
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Commuting Daily
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Scottish Government. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3