The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

A positve please to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
I found working there to be a postive experience and the reason for that is that you know that each item it sold helps some one less fortunate and that find that a great thing when it comes to been a motivation
Pros
Knowing you are making a difference in peoples lives
Administrator / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 January 2018
Each day varied but was usually quite relaxed. Training was a must and was provided. Management was supportive. Generally a great place to work with a friendly atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was maybe challenging behaviour from service users. Flexibility, communicative and understanding all round made the job most enjoyable
Pros
Flexibility
Salvation Army - Exciting and enjoyable environment and workplace
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Bo'ness10 January 2018
Great opportunity to help other people and teach them new things and make friends. Enjoyable environment with friendly people including other staff. Definitely would recommend as a great workplace and opportunity.
Positive and productive workplace
PROGRAMME CO-ORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Glasgow6 January 2018
Each day is well planned and everyone is aware of their tasks and responsibilities. Regular meetings and briefings keep all staff well uptodate with changes.
Pros
Good and happy environment
Cons
To many inspections
Great
Volunteer shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Thornton Heath, Greater London27 December 2017
very relaxing working environment
I learnt how to give my time to support the less privileged in society.
Management was fantastic and made sure all staff were comfortable
A very good Charity and company to work for.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex13 December 2017
I have been a volunteer for 4years, At Salvation Army no two days are the same, there is sorting loads of donated bags to be done, clothes which are not good enough to be sold goes into the rag bag for which the shop gets money from the rag man. Some clothes goes to the poorer countries. This also applies to shoes and boots. Any thing which is broken or torn goes in our skip. Customers who donate are always asked it they are a tax payer.we exlpain if they pay tax they can become a gift aider and also the govenment gives Salvation Army 25p in the £ for items sold. We have tea breaks as as and when we want plus someone always buys biscuits & cakes. Ive learn't all about the running of a charity shop. The management are great and we have a laugh and a good chat while working. There is no hard part to working in the Salavation Army Charity Shop. I enjoy the lovely happy friendly staff including my 2 bosses and they always thank you for coming in. Plus we get discount.
Pros
We get discount, plus all staff are great.
Cons
None.
work placement
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire6 December 2017
i gained experince in time management and customer service skills also working as a team and also working solo the staff were really helpful and fair.
Fun workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 December 2017
Very good hours, staff are very kind. Good pay. Very close to home, didn’t have to travel far. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the caterers provide food. My day at work was fun. I learned many things about the food in the army an what to cook.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Not enough pay
fun workplacement
Charity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon2 December 2017
The first day I worked at The Salvation Army , the days were very straight forward because they always gives me a task each day for me to do .
I learnt how The Salvation Army actually stood for it wasn't just an Salvation its is where everyone comes together as a foundation and people with there problems .
The Salvation Army managed there place very well .
It wasn't that hard at the placement because everything was so easy and manageable .
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to interact with other people and being apart of the staff .
Pros
Being apart of a community
It was an okay workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thorne, South Yorkshire26 November 2017
However there were some nasty employers. It was really easy, rewarding work experience, though. I had an amazing time if you cut out putting up with the other volunteers.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Nasty volunteers
Pleasent place to work, nice structure.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster23 November 2017
Very good place to work and get good work experience at a job in retail, the manager of the store was really nice and made me feel very welcome, she was keen to develop new job skills for new young job seekers.
Pros
Discount on items bought.
Cons
No real bad things to say about the place.
excellent work envoiroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Woolstoon22 November 2017
Opening the shop.
Making sure to start with a clean and safe environment.
Ensure the till is up and running.
I enjoyed this role as i have learned so much and keeping up with all the challenges.
decent
SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Blackheath5 November 2017
Worked in a part time voluntary role so salary the salary was non existent, however management and staff were very friendly and taught me valuable skills.
good
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Alloa2 November 2017
was a great wee place to spend time and help out. really enjoyed y experience there. They are a credit to what they do. i would definitely recommed to a friend
Fun place to volunteer
Shop Floor Worker / Delivery drivers assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury1 November 2017
I volunteered in Christchurch, New Zealand during a 12 month visit.

It was great to be a part of their cause, and meet some wonderful people.

Management were very friendly and grateful of any help offered to them.
Exciting and Diverse
Receptionist/Deputy Administrator (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel, Greater London31 October 2017
A typical day at work is never the same while working here.

Catering to service users need is key.
Managing and prioritising tasks allows flexibility in day to day work life.
You will learn not to judge a book by it's cover with the huge diverse range of client's.

Assisting in growth for client's with a background in substance use, prostitution, abuse, and many more will teach you empathy and compassion.

The most challenging part of the job is seeing a client deteriorate and knowing you are bound by certain procedures restricting your connection.
The most fulfilling part of working here is successfully re-homing a service user and knowing you contributed to their rehabilitation.
Pros
Clients focued
Cons
Fairness
A demanding job but sometimes rewarding.
Concierge/Security (Former Employee) –  Sunderland23 October 2017
Looking after 65 mostly adults with a variety of problems, I learned compassion, the management were very considerate, good easy going workplace, dealing with complex problems, helping residents to get back on there feet and into there own accommodation.
Pros
food and drink
Cons
very long 12 hour shifts
Food
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jarrow, Tyne and Wear19 October 2017
I work with salvation army as sale girl, we organised clothes. We make friend with them make you attend to the customers. I love charity organisation. Salvation army Charity shop is a place i learned experience how to sell them and learned little about steam clothes etc.
Pros
Cons
6 to 7 hours
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, East Renfrewshire17 October 2017
I volunteered in the kitchen at lunch clubs, helping serve the food, then I would then sit with the go-ers of the lunch club and converse with them over a meal, then I'd gather all dining equipment to the kitchen, wash and put away everything that had been used.
Amazing
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk13 October 2017
Loved every minute of working with the salvation army very rewarding job. interacting with the public and members of the salvation army church was a pleasure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.