The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion Employee Reviews

United Kingdom55 reviews
Good to work for. The management and team are friendly and so are the customers. The work load isn't to much. Always got a good level of stock and you don't have to much responsibility.
Easy review and very easy to understand. All questions very reasonable and could be answered by anyone. Also very quick to complete, takes no time at all.
Pros
Easy to follow
Working here was okay, I enjoyed my time here and made some fantastic relationships with residents and their families and with other staff members. As in the care setting the hourly rate was not great, although you recieve an extra 50p non taxable pay in the hourly rate if any overtime was done it was all taken in tax due to it being time and half. Management were good although empty promises were given more than kept ones.
Great place to work. I have a brilliant line Manager but the communication from above needs to be worked on so staff feel more secure in their jobs. good work hours
was really great working at the royal British legion and if i had a chance id go back there.i learnt a lot while working there. the most enjoy
able part about the job was that i could have a quick game of snooker when it was quiet.
As a Volunteer, i have gained in confidence and experience dealing with people on a daily basis. The RBL is an open, interactive and progressive organisation which assists veterans and their families with a variety of welfare issues and service relating enquiries.
As I work only on Sundays as a waitress at the carvery , the stress levels fluctuate throughout my workday as there is little stress at the beginning (setting up tables, preparing sauces ect.) and then heightens when people start to arrive and plates and orders need to be taken. I enjoy working every Sunday.
Volunteering for The Royal British Legion is a great way to be involved with the charity and giving back to the community and helping veterans and families and both fallen and serving servicemen and women.
I enjoyed working at the legion everybody was friendly and I loved making friends with the customers as they all looked after me, I miss the conversations and the welcomeness of being there and part of the team
Underpaid for job
Terrible upper management

Way too much expectation from upper management

No balance between work and home

Overtime not paid

Spoken to disrespectful
The Royal British Legion is a Lovely place to work, It has a lovely working environment with a lot of good people and teams that will make the time at the Charity a great one
Pros
Nice work area and office space
Cons
No cons
The work ethic is strong. There is a true appreciation of staff and volunteers at TRBL.
A good mix of work and homelife. Very enjoyable when the systems provide a fabulous outcome and veterans are heped.
Pros
A true sense of achievment helping others
Cons
A sense of sadness due to the case history of some clients
its a honour and experience to have contributed and volunteered for this charity. Encountering elderly who have fought and served our country to make it what it is today.
Pros
good break times
Cons
can be quite boring waiting around
Worked here for three years in the Community Fundraising team. I was a member of the London team. We were regularly left to our own devices. It worked for us because internally we had a a great work ethic and collaborative style so we could always support one another. Once the senior management decided to get involved things went bad. Not just personally but on a fundraising level.
Our new manager was brought in to create an autonomous culture and dictatorial, corporate practice. The Legion works with a large number of volunteers - tens of thousands every Poppy Appeal. In my role I supervised and worked with too many to possibly count. Without them the entire organisation would collapse. Instead of taking on a bottom-up view to see where improvements could be made, senior team went top-down which drastically demoralised the volunteer network we depended on, and ruined many of our relationships with them and other partners when we had to toe the corporate line. If we didn't, we'd get in trouble for it.

As an employee, things weren't great. I loved my team, as I mentioned, due to our working style. But our appreciation by those above was minimal if ever acknowledged, despite us surpassing targets each year. Pay wasn't great, even for a charity (for the majority in low-level positions, even though the senior levels were almost 100% more than the rung below). We were expected to work all the hours, especially during the Appeal, which is fine, but then were told we wouldn't be compensated when they cut our TOIL allowance.

There was no time spent to develop people into the roles,
 - more...
Pros
Personal team was great, as were the community volunteers
Cons
Everything else, namely the corporatisation of the organisation behind the charity.
Enjoy selling poppies every year great to help veterans and hear their stories as well as help anyone where possible. I will continue to sell poppies for many years
I was taught how to use the till, and to cash up with functions on the till. I also was shown how to operate the different barrels etc and how to stock rotate/stock take. I was left on my own to run the club and then to lock up upon leaving at the end of the shift. The hardest part of the job was manoeuvring the barrels and usually required two of us. I loved the fact that i was given the responsibility of opening up, restocking, and closing up. The customers where usually regulars and it was great to be able to interact with them and learn their ways.
Pros
read my book on quiet occasions and also got to play bingo.
Cons
some very late nights
This is a great place to work with many interesting people.
The management really care about all members and are always listening to suggestions from each customer.
Pros
Fun and friendly place to work.
Great team

The Royal British Legion, sometimes called The British Legion or The Legion, is a British charity providing financial, social and emotional support to members and veterans of the British Armed Forces, their families and dependants
Although I loved the working with my team and wider teams at the Legion the management were HORRIFIC. No support, only interested in themselves and one or two members of their team. I had been working their for 3 years and the only 1 on 1 I ever got with a manager was for my yearly review which they had to do, the other times I requested it I was told they were too busy. Was asked to cover someone else's job for about 4 months and had no recognition for it, no extra pay, no extra time off, they just expected me to get on with it. This massively effected my mental health and my whole life started to becoming affected.
I find it heartbreaking that the management of the dept that i worked in has made my memories so awful because I had some amazing experiences while working there. I met veterans and members and heaps of inspiring people if only they treated their staff in similarly. I also worked with some of the most amazing people who have become life long friends.
Pros
9-5, volunteering opportunities
Cons
Management, pay, work progression
Interesting and enjoyable. I did find it hard at times,depending on the customers. Boss very good and understanding in certain situations. learnt to pull pint's, handle customers,topped up my retail skillsI enjoyed the Live bands...
Pros
got on well with the boss
Cons
worked 99% of saturdays
If you value your mental health then avoid this role at all costs. The Legion could be a great place to work if it employed decent managers instead of incompetent bullies.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Terrible management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Royal British Legion. Our community is ready to answer.
The Royal British Legion Reviews by Location