The Range Employee Reviews

Avoid this company
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset23 September 2018
Senior Management are awful and very lazy and have no idea how to manage staff or do their job. Shop floor staff and floor managers are friendly and make the job bearable. They are the best thing about the job. You will be overworked and working for a basic wage with no extra pay for weekends or bank holidays.
Pros
Staff discount. Great shop floor staff
Cons
Awful senior management. Basic pay.
Not a fun place to Work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire19 September 2018
Just really bad place to work really, management were a nightmare, the only really positive, was the people i was working with, other than that, its just reaaly bad.
Pros
20% off stock to staff
Cons
Terrible treatment of staff
Horrible Company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 September 2018
Pros:
- The other members of staff on the same work level as me were wonderful people to work with (save maybe 1 or 2)

Cons:
- Low wages, High performance demand
- Cheap standards, not even enough seating for staff in the lunch room, leaking roofs constantly, rats in the warehouse. We had to try and make the best of what we had.
- Management was mostly awful, started good, but it declined over time, the company went though 3 district managers in the few years i worked though (all of them quitting the company)..
- Some of the store managers were nice, but the staff managers had some of the worst people I've ever worked with, including one control freak who treated staff like lower forms of life.
- Even some of the supervisors acted like they were managers pushing staff around like they were garbage.
- Often in doing late shifts, they left us locked in the store at risk of us missing the only bus home that ran hourly.
- No dedicated cleaners or first aid on staff, so was never prepared for accidents happening.
- Had a security guy to begin, once he quit they never rehired, so the company blamed other members of staff then thieves stole items
- Doctors appointments and holidays you arranged with management were forgotten about by them and you were disciplined for missing work when you didn't show up.
- Company was to cheap to fix toilets when they broke down, the only mens toilet was broken for over a month.
- Expected to know how to work the system for item tracking when not ever being trained on how to use it, and when you did ask nobody ever had the time to
  more... teach you.

This was one of the worst working experiences I've had in terms of the company itself. The man who owns it (I use the term man loosely) is a greedy, selfish, shallow little despot who treats those working for him like the just a number, your not worth anything more to him then that.

Every person I meet after leaving the place who also quit said the same thing, it was the worst experience, any all the jobs they got after it was far better for them.

This place is truly the pits to work for, do not apply, your worth more then what this trash hole of a company will ever give you back.
Good working place for not english poples
Order Picker, Packer (Former Employee) –  Thorne11 September 2018
Its good working place but a lot of peoples they do not understand
english language that reason i was feeling not confortable in work but really good work hours and they have really good truck service
Nice place to work
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire10 September 2018
I really enjoyed the role and liked everything about the job. I got on very well with all my colleagues and learned a lot from my time there.
The best part of the job was dealing with customers
Just a number
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth10 September 2018
I loved the role of customer service adviser. I enjoyed the team and the role itself. Unfortunately, the company are very strict with absence and holiday allowance. No holiday allowed during school holidays which makes life hard for working parents.
Professional and Enjoyable
OPERATIONS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norwich6 September 2018
Professional and Enjoyable workplace with kind and hardworking colleagues and flexible hours, not too far from home with a casual but structured workplace
Pros
Flexible Overtime Hours
Cons
Management issues
Decent place to work but some downfalls
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield16 August 2018
A typical day at work involves pricing your department, unloading and putting out stock upon receiving deliveries, tidying your department, covering the tills, assisting customers with general queries and complaints, and occasionally answering the telephone. Most people were great to work with, lovely customers. Sometimes physically demanding and working conditions could be improved.
Pros
Easy work, nice colleagues, flexible hours
Cons
Poor working conditions (mice and droppings were seen often, no air con - 30+ degree heat in the summer), very rarely receive commendation from management for hard work
Awful
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pitsea, Essex15 August 2018
My worst job, Management think they are the best thing since sliced bread and belittle staff in front of customers.
There are no incentives to do a good job. No extras if you are training others, even management!

Such a high turnover of staff and there is no wonder why.
Pros
Cons
Discount is not on everything.
worst company ever
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadheath, Greater Manchester13 August 2018
the managers did not know how to mange , the staff turnover rate was so high . you were forced to do overtime and they didnt care about anything else except for the company its self they ever awarded you with anything
Pros
when we left at the end of the day
Cons
the managers
Vile, disgusting place to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 August 2018
It's been a while since I left so need to try and remember everything as I wanted to do a review as soon as I left but never got round to it.

This is by far the worst job I've ever had and I've been in the working world over 10 years now and had some bad jobs but this place was the beyond bad.
It comes to something when you're going to work and constantly coming away crying!

Moral is extremely low at this place. It's very rare you see anyone smiling. Everyone's miserable and doesn't want to be there.
There is a small handful of colleagues who i respect and they got me through but a lot of people there are awful mainly being management. But i will get to that.

Training, what training? Got a day of being shown how to work the tills, the rest you have to work out yourself and hope for the best.
If you're a decent person with ambition (i.e the job is a means to an end whilst at UNI or working towards better things ect), you will be treated like some sort of invalid. It's like the settlers (mainly the older people in management) can't stand that you want to go somewhere in life whilst they moan about their job but can't be bothered to do anything about it.
The amount of times i felt looked down on and like people didn't have the time of day for me because I wanted more from life. It's draining!

Work conditions are horrendous and I don't know how they get away with it. In the winter it is absolutely freezing. The tills are right in front of the doors and at times it was bitterly cold! It's no wonder I was constantly unwell yet they'd moan if anyone rang in sick.
  more... Go figure.
My hands at times were so cold I'd struggle to function. Their air con is a joke and obviously just there for show. Even customers used to say how bad it is.
Then there's a till where god help you if it's a windy day and you're on it. It's like being stood in Gale force winds all day at your till, it's ridiculous especially when there's other available tills to work on but management put you on that one, where's the logic??

Tills never work properly. Constantly freezing, sometimes can take ages to unfreeze and you've got a big que of customers, very unprofessional.
But then the place as a whole was unprofessional. Some of the staff spoke to customers like utter rubbish, I don't know how they get away with it.

Never get 2 days off together, when full time you feel like you live in there. It really got me down.
Over Christmas, public holidays like Xmas day are classed as your days off. So no extra time off.
Then why they're open boxing day I'll never know, absolutely dead. I along with other staff were absolutely bored to tears and was put on a section to aimlessly tidy the whole shift. I didn't serve 1 customer that day and I was till staff. The job was just torturous, I'm struggling to remember everything but it was honestly so bad. Even a 4 hour shift felt like an eternity, I wasn't a happy person whilst there.

Management, where to start. Found the store manager totally unaprochable. She seemed to throw her weight around a lot and I felt like she spoke to people like a piece of dirt at times. A lot of people felt the same. Also found her unreasonable at times. Clearly didn't care if staff were unhappy. Also walks around the store on the phone a lot, is she actually doing anything or just trying to look important/busy?
2nd down from her, assistant manager or deputy whatever she was. Couldn't stand hed nor could most staff. Amount of times she spoke to me like an invalid, what is the need? Also can honestly say in the time i was there I never saw her do any actual work. Just stand at the top of the stairs making sure staff aren't talking.
God forbid you talk in there... I know we're there to work but wow, you were on edge to even be seen discussing work matters because you'd be told off like a naughty school kid if you were seen talking.
Then you've got someone else in management who thinks they can come in on their day off and dictate to staff (swearing also). Seriously needs to get off that high horse.
I could go on, most of management could do with a course in how to treat staff with more respect and learn some decent customer service skills.

I know this is a long review but I can't stress how bad this place is to work. I can't speak for other branches but the one i was at was dreadful.
No respect, treated like an invalid, staff moral extremely low. Everybody hates it there.
If this was my company I'd be ashamed.

2 words to finally sum up my time and my experience there.. Soul destroying
Pros
Paid 15min break, walking out of the door at home time
Cons
Poor management, poor working conditions, no appreciation, rarely get 2 days off together, just everything about this place
A good place to work.. if they keep you.
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln1 August 2018
I worked at The Range only for my probationary period, which they got rid of me after. After I had left I heard stories that they do this as its a cheaper way to have staff, and that they've done it to a few people.
Pros
Overall Good Job
Cons
Unsure if they'll keep you
Poor working conditions but great employees
Warehouse/FLT Driver (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway29 July 2018
I know the warehouse was about to be relocated but it was not in thebest condition nor the trucks being used,hours were not bad but
and employees great people.
Pros
Hours not bad, employees great bunch.
Cons
Run down warehouse, and trucks
Bom Ambiente de Trabalho
assistente de loja (Former Employee) –  bangor29 July 2018
Ambiente de Trabalho relaxado, ritmo de trabalho acelerado.
Pros
Boa relação com a Gerência
Cons
folgas rotativas e salário baixo
Ok
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe27 July 2018
jobs ok

hours can either be really short or an 8 hour shift

Typical day: come to work serve customers
first 15 min break
serve more customers
put stock out/ fill fridge
Pros
2 x 15 mins break 1 x 45 min dinner break
what is there to say
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn26 July 2018
a typical day at work starts off with low morale
i learnt some good things and some bad things
management hit and miss
hardest part of the job trying to get through the day without struggling to actually get anything done due to high workload and lack of staffing
the most enjoyable part of the job is going home knowing that you have it all to do again the next day
Pros
pros we dont have pros in this industry
Cons
conned into thinking people know what they are doing
good place to work poor staff relations
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea25 July 2018
Management treat staff poorly

Leant how to drive a flexi forklift

How to book in goods

Sending goods out by computer and sending out on own lorry
Its an OK place to work
warehouse/Forklift operative (Former Employee) –  Worthing25 July 2018
Work wise and colleagues were great. The Manager had no idea what he was doing. If he came to work in a bad mood then everyone would know about it. Such a happy man!!
Pros
Free sun tan in the summer whilst working in the yard
Cons
The Manager
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster23 July 2018
The management in this place of work were never happy and always had their favourite staff. They would talk about other staff behind their backs and always made situations worse for some staff who worked there.
Do not work here!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire19 July 2018
Managers are disgusting. Don't listen to customers, they talk behind staffs back. Not good environment! Do not work here! Hence why I have a better job now
Pros
Cons
everything!