The Overseas Teacher

The Overseas Teacher Employee Reviews

The overseas Teacher is a great company to work for with a incredibly friendly and supportive team. We have the use of a fantastic platform which allows us to engage with fellow teachers and offer each other support and advice. The training is incredibly thorough and really prepares you well for teaching. It is also ongoing so great for personal development. I would 100% recommend The Overseas Teacher for anyone looking at a career in online teaching - oh and the kids are amazing too!!
The company is committed to providing high quality teaching and the mentors are professional, friendly and and supportive. It is remote working only which is perfect in the current climate. The Chinese kids are super smart and it’s a pleasure to teach them. The online community of fellow teachers is great and provides support as well as fun banter. The expectations are high so be prepared to work hard and also enjoy the experience. The company also pays for some of the training and also the TEFL qualification.
Pros
The teaching is great, schedule is booked a month in advance so there is some security.
Cons
Requested schedule can’t be guaranteed but cover/extra lessons often crop up.
The communication with managers makes it a calm place to work with the constant support. Whether that be through extra training or an informal call to talk through some stressful point in your day. They are always happy and willing to help!
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Part Time hours
A very enjoyable job with lots of support from approachable management and trainers. Have found lessons and schedules to be really well organised, and there is good flexibility to work the hours you wish.
Pros
Working from home, flexible schedule, great management and trainers.
Cons
You need a very good computer / laptop and top strength broadband, which can be an expensive initial cost if you don't already have them.
Hours are good and flexible, it is fun to teach the children and help them with many aspects of learning the English language. Everything is online which has its ups and downs but generally everything is spot on with very few faults. It is a fantastic job and I am thoroughly enjoying my time working with this company and I can see many potential future opportunities for myself here.
Pros
Great teaching opportunity, lots of fun, brilliant opportunity for learning and adapting to being a teacher.
Cons
Sometimes bookings are slow, but it's still a great company to work for!
A typical day at The Overseas Teacher involves meeting all kinds of new people, both students and co teaching staff that you may have been working with for ages and haven't even met yet! It is a team of collaborative, like-minded and helpful colleagues and seniors. Everyone is super friendly and loves sharing hints and tips, there is never a question left unasnwered. It is a way of experiencing all different types of culture from the comfort of your own home - the pandemic doesn't stop anything at TOT! Hardest part? Maintaining a high energy 24/7 is essential, so you always need your game face! The kids you meet and their eagerness to learn is by far the best part of the job and is rewarding every day
Pros
flexible hours, work from home
Cons
not enough hours!
The people involved behind the scenes are wonderful!! really lovely team and they seem to genuinely care about their employees. It's a really good set up to work from home, everything done remotely but the team and coworkers are really lovely and still make it a friendly but professional environment. They also provide paid TEFL training. The job is amazing, only pros for the actual job! Hours are stable, but on the lower end as classes only run from 9 to 12:30 everyday, so I personally work a second job to make ends meet.
Pros
Paid TEFL Training
Cons
Low Availability of hours
Although I have only been with the company for a matter of weeks, so far, so good! There is fantastic communication between yourself and the team at the overseas teacher and the company is extremely organised. They are there with information, help and advice within seconds of you messaging them (also on a fantastic and easy to use messaging app). The teaching platform is very easy to use, making the teaching very smooth and enjoyable. Working hours are very flexible and overall the job is very rewarding!
Pros
Great communication with the management
Cons
No guarantee of work after 6 months and not a lot of hours available
If you ever have any questions they will usually be answered in minutes and 1-1 phone calls can be organised easily if you are worried about anything. All the staff are so reassuring and lovely. Teaching is incredibly rewarding, if intense and stressful at times.The Chinese students are so talented and funny.
Pros
Communication
Badly organised and poor systems. Barely any students.The only good thing is arranging your own schedule.Not even sure that the TEFL qualification is valid.The TEFL course is so badly written...
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Not enough students
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Overseas Teacher?
I really didn't know what to expect as this was my first English teaching job. From the beginning we had great training, all questions answered and help with every step of setting up our online classes. Teaching the kids is very fun and rewarding and it's great to see them progressing now from week to week. I work in the mornings so I have flexibility with the rest of my day after teaching my classes. It's a nice group and we are having monthly online social events too! Management is very helpful and encouraging and the best part is meeting all of the smiling kids faces every day. they are so eager to learn and it makes it worthwhile. You have to be willing to put the time and effort in to be a good teacher, but when you get started with your classes it becomes more enjoyable and less nerve wracking!
Pros
Company culture, flexible
Cons
Time management of online classes, lots to teach!
This job is great if you want to expand your horizons in teaching (since all training is provided) and perfect if you need an extra bit of income. You only work until 12:30/13:30 everyday due to working on Beijing Time which leaves you with full free afternoons and evenings. You can arrange a schedule that works for you and you can work from home which is always a bonus. The hardest thing about this job is the energy required to teach the children since they are so young. It's really quite tiring but so worth it when you can see they're enjoying learning. Another thing to factor is the unpaid half term or end of term holidays. I wouldn't recommend to rely on only this for a living wage. However, the other teachers are so friendly and helpful and we all help each other with tips and tricks. The English management team are so fantastic and they really have your best interest in mind. Feedback is always encouraged although I'm not sure it's always listened to by the correct people.I started with no experience in teaching languages but, with all the training they provided, it's like a second nature now.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, rewarding experiences
Cons
Unpaid time off, quite tiring
Very convenient English teacher job to have especially over lockdown. The kids are great to teach, and the teaching content is easy to work with most of the time. However there are sometimes errors in the teaching slides that you will have to take the time to change yourself. The salary is fairly good if you can get a full schedule of lessons, however you don't get paid for the 10 minute gaps between your lessons. Also the time you take to prepare for your lessons is unpaid.
Pros
The kids are great to work with and teach.
Cons
Planning time, and the time between lessons is unpaid.
Really enjoying working here. The company is well organized and has a great system going. The training is spot on & paid as well. Very open to new ideas and overall I am very satisfied!
Pros
Flexible hours/schedule, team-oriented, paid training, young & energized management team!
Cons
Pay period is a month behind.
The Overseas Teacher is a brilliant company to work for. Communication is always on point at TOT and you can constantly speak with management for advice and queries you may have. Furthermore, management always offers guidance and give up their time to make sure you feel confident and understand your work. The culture of the company is modern and understands the 'modern way' of working with flexibility in hours and space to be creative with business practices. Finally, the opportunities you can gain to excel a career in education is second to none. Would highly recommend.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
I thought I had things planned out until I graduated and of course life throws up some challenges. A friend recommended the Online Teacher and I applied as I had nothing to lose. on the flip side I have been offered a place in Shanghai with a free apartment (wow) and an amazing salary. Aside from this, the opportunity is a once in a lifetime and one that I hope will broaden my horizons. Cant wait for August...
Pros
very little effort on my side
Cons
relocaion on other side of world is going to be interesting