The Open University UK

The Open University UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom112 reviews
Working
I loved working at The Open University, fabulous work colleagues, good working conditions. Great grounds for long walks to relax at lunchtime. Gym very close by.
Nice people to work with
My peers are nice that's the only positive I have about this company, the shifts pattern is ridiculous cant have a life with these patterns and this department get walked all over on, a lot of sexism in the office as well.
Rubbish
This is a rubbish place to work they built it up and I started working here and it turned out the job was not lerm term as promised. they are in finance trouble as they are so rubbish at everything I hope they go bankrupt as their behaviour stinks
Pros
Odd cheese sandwich
Cons
hard toilet paper
as any other corporation
the typical corporation approach to people
management in business and law faculty has curious approach to managing people

no clear career paths for people who are not connected or related to management
Great company, great people
A great place to work alongside great people.
Plenty of benefits and good holiday.

Various clubs and societies that you can join to meet new people and make friends
flexible
great university very flexible with your personal lifestyle. I have always wanted to continue studying but have been unable because I am trying to build a career for myself at the same time but because of open university they allow you to have both study and career.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not many tutor sessions
good employer
Interesting work and the opportunity to work with a diversity of students.
Subject taught when employed was well supported with excellent resources and materials.
Pros
Worked from home
Cons
student fall out.
Didn't have a good experience
I was made a lot of promises about promotions and job security and then was let go without any warning with 2 young children to support. Im sure that not all the managers at the OU had such bad working ethics but i was left in very vulnerable position thanks to the OU.
Good place for part time work
As an Associate Lecturer you get a balance of lots of material supplied for you to teach with and also the autonomy to work in your own style.
The salary is not great and there is annually an issue about whether contracts will be renewed. If this is your only line of work then that's very stressful.

Management when I first started nearly 20 years ago was very stable but over the last 10 years I can't tell you how many managers I've had, some of whom I barely knew their names before they were replaced.

But it's a very supportive culture amongst your fellow associate lecturers, ask a question and someone always knows the answer.

It's a good place to work if you enjoy doing lots of work online using up to date technology. That could also be challenging if you don't!
Pros
Lots of peer support
Cons
When the technology fails
Enjoyable enviroment
A typical day at work was not particularly challenging but the team was always able to provide work. The most enjoyable part of the job was analysing excel spreadsheets and solving their problems before uploading them.
Pros
Good Break setup.
good working environment
good working environment, friendly, always willing to help, management is quite nice as long as they see that you are putting in the effort, job patterns is quite reasonable
Great learning
Hard work but very rewarding. Great staff and management.style. lots of events and ops. Learn on the job. Highly recommend it but lots of work and can involve a bit of travelling.
Pros
Great staff management
Cons
High workload
great education provider
After using open university as an educational provider to study modules in Chemistry, Maths and Biology to enhance my A-levels. The tutors and access to materials was excellent.
Treat their temporary staff as disposable
Don't follow their own internal procedures. Your face either fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't you're out the door the same day, even if your work has been exemplary over a long period of time. HR are a joke. No wonder the Union is so vociferous.
The work is mundane, unchallenging and the pace of delivery is slower than a Yo Sushi turntable! Good people don't stay.
Trying to embrace the change
OU was facing up to the new world of higher education whilst I was there and as a result, undergoing a period of significant change. This did lead to some inconsistent decision making, people moving / leaving which did hit the project. However the team on the ground were good and wanted the project to succeed (it did).

Only really negative thing about OU is the location - quite a way from the nearest mainline station and that the nearest town is Milton Keynes....
Pros
Home / flex working
Cons
Commute / location
A much cherished institution
The work centres around the build-up before assignment deadlines. It is a great opportunity to flex those communication skills. I have learned a lot about clarity, resolving ambiguity that can transpire in instructions given out for essays. I provide practical and moral support to distance learners, connecting and breaking down social isolation, this job requires empathy, liaising and problem-solving skills. This is my second year of providing this consultancy for The Open University for my final course in linguistics at the OU, I particularly enjoy the satisfaction of enabling others to achieve their aims.
Flexible training that works around other commitments
Supportive culture designed to enable those with families/other commitments to succeed. Detailed and comprehensive study material with online and refular face to face tutor support.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Technical problems occasionally with Virtual Learning Environment
Learning Creative Writing
The Open University is a gem of a British Institution. Having always wanted some formal understanding of creative writing this course gave me just what I needed.
No 2 days are the same.
A typical day could be responding to emails or answering the phone, dealing with all manner of enquiries from students across the globe. Assisting students who have differing types and degrees of disability was particularly rewarding.

On occasion students could often be upset and emotional or even very angry. This could be challenging.

The workplace culture is very much about teamwork and supporting colleagues.
Pros
Excellent support mechanisms.
Cons
Current ongoing changes can be unsettling.
Good Intern Opportunity
As an internship for a summer during 6th form. Expanded my academic focus had to work outside my comfort zone. Support was good and I learnt a lot working there.
Pleasant place to work
Everyday throws a challenge in the transformation programme of work. The organisation provides the opportunity to create a work/life balance.
I have learned a lot around engaging with senior Pro Vice Chancellors and Academics.
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Open University UK. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2