The New World Trading Company

The New World Trading Company Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
Bad management
Working here can be stressful especially when you never have a break and are never appreciated for going above and beyond. Hours are given to ‘favourite’ staff.
Pros
Good money
Stay away
On paper, it is a great place to work. The reality soon hits home. They want more and more and more out of you. There is no work/home life balance. They would be happy for you to work all day every day! I did 70+ hrs some weeks with no thanks, they just wanted more! I was the head chef. The mangers were woeful! There was only 1 manager that was any good. We had some good times, but the bad ones massively out numbered them. The GM wanted it his way or no way.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the place
the absolute WORST
The company has copious Americanised company values that they expect staff to learn and abide by but seem unable to stick to themselves. 2 weeks of training spent memorising a stupid company ethos but no time dedicated to learning the 20 page spec book, this they expect you to learn unpaid in your own time. Management are a mix of jobsworths and clueless idiots. I worked in a new store and after just two weeks it already STUNK. Highly unethical employers, will promise you a set amount of shifts per week but won’t stick to this, in my case they dropped it to zero with no notice and didn’t reply to my messages regarding this. They expect you to invest a lot into the role but give nothing in return, they cover up their appalling treatment of staff with ‘opportunities to visit Prague’ and ‘cool staff parties’ but honestly you wouldn’t want to holiday with these jokers anyway. Awful. If you’re thinking of applying do yourself a favour and apply ANYWHERE else, don’t put yourself through this torture for minimum wage. Maximum effort for minimum wage, I think not.
Regret taking the job
There is zero work life balance
You are expected to work with no expected finish times.

Management does not care about you or your health, just that the figures are accurate.
Pros
If you enjoy selling your soul
Cons
Zero work life balance
nightmarish
Working as a part-time junior chef, i found myself working weekends (friday, saturday, sunday) but due to the sheer incompetence of the managements inability to produce a proper rota, found myself working way over the hours of an average working week over just 3 days.

On the busiest days, the managers rota in the wrong people at the wrong times and completely understaff!

Only credible thing was the wage of £8.80 for a 19 year old which is very good
Don't judge a book...
looks good on the outside but is far from it inside!

You are just surrounded by under skilled people that are merely just there filling the gaps, simply because they are cheap to hire and more than not are in house trained so there abilities do not go beyond...nor their knowledge.

so much micro managing.

first day there, the so called "head chef" disappeared on my first day and left me with a table of 40, no knowledge of the booking and a "pre-order" taken as they were all seated..... smh!

Also witnessed very questionable practices, like deep frying salmon kebabs

such a shame really.
Great company to work for
This company is committed to training and introducing you. You feel completely looked after the whole time you work for them. Lots of opportunities to progress, re-locate and move departments (they train you in other areas if you are committed enough).

The management and supervisors are well trained and can support all departments too.
"Rotting at the core. Investors and staff beware. A flawed and ineffective company."
Failure to meet basic contractual entitlements or treat their staff legally. Tyrannical, self- entitled management, who could not care less for the wellbeing of the staff team. Unsustainable growth - multiple new sites opened without the consolidation of existing ones. Completely investor driven growth reminiscent of a public company whose CEO's bonus is tied to annual performance. This company thinks short term, and will be gone within the decade. Senior management get drunk on shift, are complete pigs and serve to undermine the entire staff operation. Middle managers are like puppets to senior management, and helplessly follow their lead in spite of their own opinions or values. The entire operation is overcomplicated and understaffed - the company is relatively cash-poor, with certain sites turning a loss. This translates into the staff operation in the form of illegally underpaying staff based on their worked hours, not paying promised bonuses, or sending home staff mid-shift. No work-life balance, or consistence. Honestly being employed here is like being in a toxic relationship. Get out and avoid in the first place if you can.
Great teams
Long hours, batch cooking, recipe cards, fast paced, high standards, quality ingredients, lack of plates, fashionable food, limited progression without relocation
The worst place I have ever worked BY FAR!
Management are absolutely terrible, extremely rude and have absolutely no people skills or management skills whatsoever. They will do anything they can to make you feel inferior and there is not one bit of appreciation shown. You are not treated like a human being and they will push you as far as possible. Don't even bother asking for a day off as holiday, or simple requests because they won't be dealt with. It's a complete and utter joke that this company was voted in the Times 100 best companies to work for.
Great Colleges
Shifts a the Botanist were hard to come by and sometimes pointless. They'd send you home at the drop of a hat if you were not longer needed. Management never listened and spoke to you like you were their daughter, childish and unprofessional.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Long Late Hours & Poorly managed
Not the best
If I’m completely honest, I wouldn’t work here again. Working for a company that don’t value their staff and under pay their employees for the high amount of work they expect from them is just not worth it. They don’t set an amount of hours on your contract meaning one week you could work 40 hours and the next 65 and you’ll still receive the same pay. I worked my way from the very bottom to Bar Manager and the higher you got up, the less they seemed to care about you. My voice was never heard and my feedback was never taken on board. I just would avoid it completely. Since I’ve left I’ve never felt so happy. I really did enjoy working here but it got to a point where I couldn’t carry on because of the lack of support.
Staff not valued.
Fun and good working hours.

BUT:

A lot of support for staff from headoffice but ethos and company values are not reflected in the single unit management. In other words, when hard times come staff is the first thing to be cut, not encouraged or valued. They benefit from employing europeans that do not know UK laws.
Productive and energetic
A great company to work for, knowing what direction you want to go.
Pros
Free food and drinks
Cons
anti-social hours
Overall good
Like all work places there was good and bad, but the good far outweighed the bad. A fun working environment, that challenged and developed me. Offered plenty of new experience. However, like with many companies that grow, priorities started to change and communication started to break down.
I love it here
I have worked for NWTC for almost 8 months now and I honestly can't rate it enough, compared to other companies within the sector this is by far the best! Everyone who starts goes through rigorous training to ensure they become experts within their field, all of which is paid which is very rare. They pay well for management and staff,they are a living wage employer plus there are opportunities to increase your pay by learning new skills such as on the bar becoming beer masters. As with hospitality no two days are the same, yes shifts can be long or late but that comes with the industry, you get to meet lots of amazing people, not just colleagues but customers too, there is always something different going on. The best part about working here is that it's fun, the hardest part is probably the hours or the stress of dealing with difficult customers, which again comes with the industry. There is a great culture here, everyone is hard working and dedicated to the company.
Pros
well paid, free food on shift, discount for friends and family, investment in development
Cons
long hours, unsociable hours
Terrible work place and poor management!
Overall terrible workplace with rude management, they expect you to work a lot for very little and will not take time to reply to your queries over the simplest of matters.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Little pay, rude staff, poor management
Amazing team work
A typical day in the company is try to be motived with what you are doing.
You have amazing team a managers that they help and treat to you how a family.

They always try to get from you all your best using a good communication each other.
Pros
Good team and adaptibility about holidays
Cons
stress when is busy time
Not great
Worked as a server for a few weeks, recieved roughly a week and a half’s training which consisted of mesmerising the names of higher staff and descriptions of the starter dishes. No practical training was provided before I was put on the floor, a few weeks later I was fired because I “wasn’t right for he role”, which isn’t great considering no one would be right for any role without any kind of practical training.
Pros
Fortnightly pay
Cons
Everything else
expect everything for nothing
How this company got in the Times top 100 let alone the Times top 10 is completely beyond me.
Expect so much from the staff with little in the way of return. Chefs are treated like absolute dogs.

Bar staff are expected to do monthly cleans that take all night sometimes they don't leave until 8am the next day but are still expected to go to work the next day.

Prides its self on team but it's really just money money money. Will happily cut staff shifts down to way below what is necessary and then blame the staff on duty for not keeping up.

Waiting staff have to jump through ridiculous hoops at each table and it;s completely at odds as to the fast and prompt service the company pride themselves on and to make things worse. Waiting staff and bar men only get 40% of any tips left on card the remaining 60% goes towards the managers bonus.
Good place to work if you don’t have a family
Great training and experience but want their pound of flesh from you. Expect 14 hour days 6 days a week. Great if your single and great management training programme
Pros
Healthcare bonus
Cons
Long long hours, ops managers too hard on staff
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New World Trading Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6