The New World Trading Company Employee Reviews

expect everything for nothing
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  Cheshire11 November 2018
How this company got in the Times top 100 let alone the Times top 10 is completely beyond me.
Expect so much from the staff with little in the way of return. Chefs are treated like absolute dogs.
Bar staff are expected to do monthly cleans that take all night sometimes they don't leave until 8am the next day but are still expected to go to work the next day.
Prides its self on team but it's really just money money money. Will happily cut staff shifts down to way below what is necessary and then blame the staff on duty for not keeping up.
Waiting staff have to jump through ridiculous hoops at each table and it;s completely at odds as to the fast and prompt service the company pride themselves on and to make things worse. Waiting staff and bar men only get 40% of any tips left on card the remaining 60% goes towards the managers bonus.
Good place to work if you don’t have a family
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 August 2018
Great training and experience but want their pound of flesh from you. Expect 14 hour days 6 days a week. Great if your single and great management training programme
Pros
Healthcare bonus
Cons
Long long hours, ops managers too hard on staff
Good pay but not worth the lack of financial security
Barback/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 May 2018
Very nice, clean building and friendly staff. The work is very physically demanding and the hours can be long (8-10 hours or double shifts) but you do adjust to it. The company provides paid for training as well as a 'core manual' detailing company's values and employee benefits. So they seem to mean well but don't actually deliver.

The hours went from roughly 20 a week to just one shift on zero notice. And despite the existence of a permanent 16 hour contract. As well as this, shifts were frequently cancelled or shortened with very little notice, sometimes on the day. Apparently busser's receive similar treatment.

I'm giving two stars because I met some great people during my time working here. And I did genuinely enjoy the work itself but I was forced to leave due to substantial loss of earnings. So I don't recommend this job unless you're a student looking to make some extra cash
Pros
Good starting rate, lovely staff
Cons
No shift security, poor management
Job
Door Host (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2018
Got offered a job here by member of managment, got told to hand my notice in yo my previous job, ( hand it in to them) to then be told after i cant retract my notice i dont have a job, no communication between managers what so ever, so that left me out og a job
Great
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 March 2018
busy days
learned so much about hospitality which
management was ok! senior managers, second to none, up to GM, I felt a little in-experienced.
good work place culture, strong.
Pros
good pros
Beautiful buildings
Busser (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 February 2018
Each site is beautiful without a shadow of a doubt. However sites tend to have lots of problems. Core manual is a great idea but never followed through on the side of the staff. Long hours, but good pay for some seasons however hours can go from all to nothing in the space of a week
Pros
Good pay, staff food on 8+hr shifts
Cons
Cliques, little space for promotion, poor management
Good company
Senior Chef (Current Employee) –  Birmingham29 December 2017
I love working at the Canal house. I really can't see myself moving anywhere else at this moment. I have learnt so much in the last 6 months. I am hopefully due for a promotion to junior sous chef in the near future. I am planning on helping NWTC becoming the number one restaurant in Birmingham.
Pros
Busy environment
Cons
Not for the faint hearted
Supportive and innovative company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey16 June 2017
A truly fantastic and supportive company to work for with fantastic Operational support. Big enough to send help when needed with many teams to put together menus and train staff.
Pros
Free lunch, dental and medical
Cons
long hours but it is hospitality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New World Trading Company. Our community is ready to answer.

The New World Trading Company Reviews by Location