The Local Employee Reviews

Not a very good company to work for.
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend24 January 2019
Expected to work long hours on minimum wage with no manager. when things don't go right the lowly workers get the blame and because of their position within the company they were dismissed.
The company have since gone bankrupt!!!
Great palce to work
Cashier/Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester10 December 2017
Just your average shop but you will gain many skills here such as cash handling and people skills. Working with people can be fantastic for any job so you learn all your basics from working in a shop.

Great for school leavers.
Pros
Skills. Freinds and family. Room for improvent.
Cons
Small contracted hours. Bad area
Fun work place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire3 May 2017
Enjoyable place to work, fun employee's etc. Great to socialise with the public. learn new skills. sadly the shop changed management. but over all a nice shop to work at.
Pros
The people
Cons
It changed companies
Fun workplace
Sales assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 October 2015
I met a lot of different people each day, i enjoyed working here, i gradually learned how to do the shops weekly banking, checking orders against invoices.
Pros
worked at my own speed but all jobs were done on time
Cons
not enough security
Challenging working environment.
Convenience Store Owner (Former Employee) –  High Street, Lincoln2 July 2015
Well managed store with a productive and reliable team. Sales were grown by approximately 15% in the first year and targets were met or exceeded every year after that.
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, ENG16 February 2015
i loved my job at the local because the staff and management were very friendly and easy to get along with which made me enjoy going to every shift.

the hardest part of my job was dealing with all the drunken customer that would come in on a friday/saturday evening because some of them would get very angry when we would refuse to sell them anything.
the most enjoy able part of my job was being able to have a little bit of a laugh with my co-workers when we were restocking and also being the person that some of my customers would open up to if they were lonely, it felt good that i had cheered them up by giving them a few minutes to ask how they were and just taking an interest in their day.

i learned how to cash up my own til and how to become a team player.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
drunken fools
A great laugh and a pleasure to have been part of this branch
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Debden, ENG22 January 2015
*Everyday was a fulfilled day with plenty of work to be done. Dealing with customers and maintainance of an very busy Off Licence.

*I have learnt a lot about different types of alcohol brands, flavours, textures, where they came from and memorizing the information too. This helps to give customers a better service. Working lottery and paypoint machines as well as the old tills we used with having to do the opening of the shop procedures that involved typing up stuff on the till along with banking, stock take and promotions.

*I had a great relationship with my boss and to this day I still in contact after the shop unfortunately went bust in late 2009. I really got on with my manager and very satified with her management skills.

*I could not ask for such an amazing team. I seriously had a great laugh with everybody here at The Local, my main branch. I was also in contact with other members of staff from other branches and done some shifts for the Chingford Hatch and Woodford Bridge branches.

*Working within an Off Licence may have many difficult parts of the job, I can all honestly say, within these branches I worked in, I could not say, there be a hard time. Maybe, only one I can think of right now, is informing customers about certain products not in stock nor discontinued, especially near the end of our closing down date.

*I love greeting and meeting people and I thoroughly enjoyed making new friends in such a small area, it was like everybody knew us here at our store. I have such a great memory I would often get their order ready under the counter before they
  more... reached it. I really miss many of the regulars of all different ages.  less
Pros
Different amounts of staff discounts on particular products
Cons
Selling tabacco products.
Stressful volintary work
FR OM SALES ASSISTANT TO ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  oxford24 May 2014
Meetings with disgruntled parents and passifing them. Staff meetings, Banking and wages.
Pros
got to see my children more at playgroup
Cons
voantary
This was a good job in sales with a good chance to learn and advance.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cromer6 February 2014
My role within this job was to serve customers, Keep the shop refilled and to help close the shop down at the end of the day.
All tills were computerised with has helped me build on my I.T skills, my responsibility were cash and credit card handling as well as the sale of alcohol and Tobacco.
Pros
This job helped me greatly inprove my experience working with people
Cons
My hours started to drop as the company fell on hard times.
Fun,productive and everyone enjoyed are job
Trainee Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, WLS18 October 2013
The local was a offlicence not far from where I lived, a typical day was I would open the store, cash the tills ready for the day,set up ATM with money ready,random stock checks on items in the shop,fill up shelves and serve customers.This was the first job I ever had and made me love retail work i learnt alot from this job about customers how to work tills and stock checks.The managment were amazing it felt more like a family than it being managment and assistance.We had a few different members of staff in the 4 years I was there but everyone was friendly and really lovely people.The hardest part of the job was I was working whilst there was a armed robbery.The most enjoyalbe part was the whole job staff customers and the job requirements I would of loved to stay there but unfortuenatly it went into liquidation.
Pros
15% Disscount off everything Everyone included customers were happy
Cons
N/a
Great place to work, fun and challenging at the same time
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ENG19 August 2013
Was very happy here,i started part time but my boss saw my potenial. i saw soon fast tracked to senior sales and was being trained to take over the store. was very dissapointed when the company as a whole went under.
Pros
Honest and hard working boss
Cons
company went under