The Jockey Club

The Jockey Club Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
i enjoyed working here but it wasn't a secure everyday job you get emailed the days you are needed and if you can work then you apply for the position you'll work from about 10 to 7 if you're under 18 as you can only work certain amount of hours. I wouldn't recommend this job if you're looking for a job that is guaranteed work everyday as its more of a come in when we need you kind of job overall although the pay was good i was very tired by the end of it .
Pros
lunch is provided
Cons
Hard work but well paid and very flexible. A great job to fit around other commitments such as work, study and family. Would recommend working here; lots of opportunities for shifts across multiple venues and events.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible, Free Lunch
Cons
Long hours, On feet all day
It helped me learn how to work ion a pressured hospitality environment. I was always surrounded by team members that were willing to help and teach on the job whilst performing to achieve quality customer service.
Terrible firm to work for badly paid, some of the senior mangers haven’t got a clue what they are doing, if your face doesn’t fit then you haven’t got a chance of moving on.
For the first few years working there was great but over the last six years or so things have gone down hill fast.

I would definitely not recommend working there now.
Absolutely terrible firm to work for the management were only worried about themselves they would say that everyone was equal but that was untrue if your face didn’t fit then you had it.
The pay was useless.
On my first shift everyone was so kind and helpful. Everyone who works here is very friendly and we also manage to have a good laugh between jobs and serving. Would definitely recommend for workers of all ages.
I worked in hospitality as a Bartender, Kitchen porter and waitress. You get treating that dirt on the floor. the managers work you like a hamster and you hardly get tips.
The jockey club is a good place to gain skills, but you barely work with the same people twice. Its seasonal so very good for part time. You are on your feet all day and the one break is very short. The pay is sufficient but doesn't feel like it when you are working. Uniform is very strict.
Pros
free lunch, 30 min break
Cons
long days, working with inexperienced people
The Jockey Club is great to work for if you are looking at starting your career off in a racecourse.
Little career progression unless moving departments continuously. Expected to work long hour for basic pay.

A good starter place for your career but not a long term if staying within the same job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Jockey Club?
Worst part of working at the jockey club was the fact you never had any secure colleagues as they would always change every shift this meant you spent half the shift getting to know your team to then never see them again and having to start all over the next shift
Working race days is a very long day but the people are great and they help you through the shift and I can’t speak for every manager but the ones i worked for were great, I miss working there.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Not full time
Varied job roles, including being a waitress, bar tending, serving food or coffees, working in the kitchen and cleaning up.
Offers flexible working hours to suit everyone.
A typical day at day would insist working with a fantastic group of people. You would always learn something new, everyday your there. the management are helpful, supportive, encouraging, welcoming and down to earth. The hardest part of working here is standing for long hours and no covering when it rains.
the most enjoyable part is the people I work with, they are fun, exciting, completely different from each other and always there for a shoulder or an ear to lend.
Pros
people, free food
Cons
standing for long hours
Waited over an hour to be assigned a post but onced delegated, my role was well explained and I had good support to help me gain confidence. Pay could've been a bit better though, at least £8.
Keep busy during the races by serving customers both food and drink.
Enjoyable as you're working but with friends and get to watch the races and live bands.

Management we're understanding and easy to talk to.

The hardest part was the long hours and travelling, however you did get paid for these so it makes it worth it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
It was a good enviroment to work in, but very loud. but this made it enjoyable as the people were having a laugh and joke with all the staff so it made me enjoy my job more.
All work is on a casual basis. This is great for people who have another job, have children or students at university. Events work is a bit patchy and you need to call staffing regularly to be booked in for work. Management and organisation of conferences and events is not always good. The races are well organised and always need staff.
I have a lot of kitchen experience but not much FOH. Learned how to wait tables at large dinners (400-600 guests), how to set up for next events, how to work some of the equipment, how to fold napkins and box tables.

We always have a laugh no matter how hard the day is - such a lovely bunch of people to work with.

The hardest part of the job is waiting for someone to put us on breaks - work for more than 6 hours sometimes without a break!

If you take no notice of the moaners, get on with people and just get on with the job, then it's a great place to work!.
Pros
Free Lunch (most of the time!)
Cons
Disorganised Functions
JCC is a good place to get some causal work and superb bar experience, however, the management can be stressful at times, for example taking over an hour and a half to permit leaving after the shift has ended at times
Pros
free lunches/tips
Cons
long hours/not consistent work
I worked at the Jockey club during the autumn/winter period and I did not enjoy my time working there. For the amount of work I had to do, my wage did not make up for it. £4 an hour is absolutely disgusting for running around on your feet all day, dealing with rude customers, having literally no training whatsoever, having no supervisors on most shifts, having to carry large trays of drinks and more than likely spilling them (due to literally getting thrown into the job and having no training) and having to learn the whole menu and drinks menu within 10 minutes. You will most likely be thrown in the deep end, and waiting a week and half for £30 after an 8 hour shift (after tax) is not compensation. On days with no supervisors, I was completely left to deal with everything, and I had to spend my break working because nobody knew where the break room was. I think in order for this company to have more staff wanting to apply for their jobs, they need to raise the wage. Its disgusting how much work you are required to do. Not only that but you work at an average of twice a month. It’s perfect if you need a small, extra job and you don’t apply for the waiting role, but don’t be expecting the best help when it comes to settling in because they could not give any cares about you, you can’t talk to higher staff they’re so snobby, they would tell you to get on with it and literally laugh at you because “why should they care”. The management is vile. Be careful. Also, pocket your tips you will need them.
Pros
Free lunch & transport, foods nice.
Cons
Poor wage for the amount of work, unsupervised, out of control
LOvely staff members and great environment to work in. Get the opportunity to work in different areas of the race course which is nice as it allows you to meet new people.
Fun and rewarding work. Call dencre and Despatch work. Well managed. Part of a great team of people. Regular hours and acceptable pay. …………………………………..