The Ivy Collection Employee Reviews

Featured review
The Ivy Collection selected this as a representative review
Productive and great place
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset7 December 2018
Good work place, great food, friendly management and colectivity.
every day have a peak time or more, week ends very busy.
big team and experienced in all departments.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Is great if ur foreign and u need a job.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London17 September 2019
Is a moders slavery based. U cannot have an opinion and if u answer in a polite way to a manager, is insubordination which will be reported and they will give u a warning. If they are short on staff u will end up doing things out of ur duties. Overall, is nice for ur cv, it pays decent but is stressful.
Ivy Glasgow
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 September 2019
The ivy say that you get meals on shift but that few and far between as when its busy or if the person you've ask to put you meal on ie a check on fir it forget as they are busy you don't get anything your uniform is only a top n its tight n in a busy n hot kitchen doesn't help with the heat or when your carrying up the order as the sweat drips off you the managers are not helpful for exple I want paid the first payday n the GM said yo me I must of put in my bank details wrong I check n told him they were right n it was the AGM that pushed for myself n others to get paid at least some of our money in cash wouldn't tell anyone to go work here
busy enviroment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Manchester27 August 2019
It is a fast pace environment so you have to be efficient and fast, you get to learn a lot in terms of high standard service and also how to be calm while facing difficult guests. It is a large team so it is difficult to get everyone to get the job done as managers miss out how works and who does not. The most enjoyable part of working here is the knowledge you get day by day.
busy, dynamic, challenging, but very friendly place to work
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 August 2019
A demanding but stimulating place to work. Great team of people working there. Can be exhausting at times, as it's always busy, and staff are often required to work long hours. Friendly working environment (FOH), but not enough time allocated to staff training, and can get overwhelming, due to high demands on staff, and demanding (bordering on challenging) clientele.
Pros
free staff food, good sallary, central location
Cons
long hours, demanding clientele
Great place to start your career in food.
Food Runner/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Winchester23 August 2019
The Ivy was a lovely place to work as the individuals who dined were very polite and respectful of us working around them. The management were supportive but were not on some occasions.
Since leaving the Ivy i have asked for items i require for my new job, and have refused to email me back.
Pros
Free Meal when Working 7 Hours.
Cons
Hard job, lifting heavy trays all day.
The Ivy
Runner (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 August 2019
Working for the Ivy Collection was enjoyable. Every time I went in you never knew who would be there. The staff listen to one another but management can slow. However, they were very understanding with regards to my needs and accommodated as much as possible. They try to make everyone feel at home.
Fun place to work
Bartender (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Harrogate16 August 2019
Very professional and good training. A pleasure to work for the company and with members of the team. They are also very flexible with the hours you can work and look after staff well
Awful
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 August 2019
I worked in the team of runners, i was the only english person and there were only two or three of the team who spoke semi decent english, so there was a massive language barrier. I could barely talk to anyone, which is no fault of theirs, this was just a really hard thing in my experience. I handed in my notice as i believe to have a job elsewhere and they found someone else. I asked to be put back on the rota and not only was that not done, i messaged different managers fordays to no reply, they have ignored me. The gm then contacted me around a week later after being told he would call me in a fee days, and when i replied to him email, he didnt respond. This company is a job and just want to take advantage of make non english speaking people do the shittest jobs they can possibly think of . Do not work bere
Lack of support
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 July 2019
I worked at the Ivy and at no time gained any support from senior manager, no praise, no reviews. All about cutting wages and delivering high service with no staff. Building falling apart and money wasted.
Jobs not posted so no way to progress through company just new people brought in.
Avoid at all costs, the sales pitch is good but the reality is not
Pros
discount
Cons
no support, no guidance, poor management
Fun But challenging
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Marlow, Buckinghamshire4 July 2019
When i worked at the Ivy it was a great experience however the management was a bit lacking and the building was poorly designed for the staff for example the 3 flights of stairs that we ran 10 times a day for prep.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Poor Management
Os romenos e que mandão na cozinha
Kp (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire29 June 2019
Se não és romeno não val a pena trabalhar na cozinha porque eles dominam tudo e o chefe está na mão deles ,eles e que decidem a rota , quem e promovido e e posto na rua , quem come ,etc não descanso . Quando para eles está fraco mandante para casa.
Pros
Tudo
Cons
Tudo
Long and hard shifts with little rewards
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Granary square27 June 2019
Nice posh decor it’s the bait that got me to work there. However was one of the worst places I ever worked. Too many demands from the management with minimum rewards. Long hours, huge staff turnover some of the negatives. Never understood how can they countinously mistreat staff and then expecting it to perform. Had people leaving after a month or less. Positive the meals are not bad when the chefs had time to cook them for you.
Pros
Decent staff meals
Cons
Everything else
Not good working hire
Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 June 2019
Not good company strees Bad management thinkink sometime you are only dirty dogs some workers hire very lazy very lazy not good working for this company
Not great at all.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk3 June 2019
Here I couldn’t enjoy my work. Starting from working condition, hours... and of course the management.
On interview they promise you much more then they actually do after.
Pros
Staff meal(definitely not like for a guest as they say)
Cons
Long unorganised hours.
Maintain the fake caring facade at any cost
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire29 May 2019
Fellow lower level staff were fine to work with. Management were unorganised and overly demanding, sometimes shouting at and insulting staff, I've seen fellow staff upset after being shouted at a number of times. This place would prefer it if you had next to no social life as rotas only came out 2 or 3 days beforehand for each week. Your days off are screwed because especially food running sometimes for 12/13 hours with no break mentally and physically drains you. You get called in on your days off too sometimes, as people regularly called in sick because of being overworked and getting ill. The atmosphere especially for the waiters and front of house staff as well as chefs was very tense, almost Gordon Ramsay's kitchen nightmares level some of the time behind the scenes. Sometimes you don't get food you're entitled to because chefs are too busy. On many occasions you are made to take your break ridiculously early or ridiculously late. I've overheard managers say to each other that it doesn't matter if some staff havent had their breaks. A completely numbers driven business desperately trying to maintain the fake caring high quality service facade at great expense to the staff, especially runners ,waiters and bar staff. Understandable pressure from above but the brunt of the pressure is felt on the shoulders of the lower level staff to avoid being shouted at. Not even worth trying to get holidays booked off half the time as holiday requests are regularly lost or forgotten and have to be followed up numerous times.
Pros
Free lunch (if they let you have it)
Cons
Work schedule is highly unpredictable and all over the place.
Premium brand, professional teams
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 May 2019
I have been working at The Ivy head office for a while now, and I cannot praise the company enough. Management is supportive and compassionate, not to mention passionate about the role and getting the right people into the business! I am grateful to be part of such a great company that is constantly expanding.

No complaints here.
Pros
Discount on food in restaurants
Cons
Not many cons!
Horrible
Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 April 2019
If you want to be bullied and promised progression and fairness and then let down this would be the perfect place but seriously I can’t even be bothered to write out half the stuff that occurs here.
Apply at your peril
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 April 2019
Worked with some great people- my colleagues work hard . To say management are rude, manipulative and lazy would be an understatement. If you're decent you'll get exploited- whilst you take 14 tables managers will be too bothered flirting or gossiping in the back. You do get meals which are okay (only decent thing other than the wage). Once they've hired you they think they own your soul so get ready to be worked into the ground (except if youre a favourite- you'll do nothing and get promoted for the privilege). Apply at your peril.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Management. Shift patterns.
part of the opening team for a flag ship branch
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  market grill covent Gareden13 March 2019
its all go run run run turn as many tables as possible
run out of nothing and over purchase . being senior we had to keep up staff moral and also keep up the standards never being scared to jump in and get our glove oiled up.
Pros
its crazy
Cons
its crazzy
Decent
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 March 2019
The job is good, great company with good pay and benefits. Very high standards but easy to get used too. Only down side is management is very harsh similar to a headteacher.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ivy Collection. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9