The Ivy Collection
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

The Ivy Collection Employee Reviews

United Kingdom112 reviews
Featured review
The Ivy Collection selected this as a representative review
Good work place, great food, friendly management and colectivity.
every day have a peak time or more, week ends very busy.

big team and experienced in all departments.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
As a receptionist, you need to clean tables and set up tables with glasses and everything after guests leave. The pay is 9.5/per hour. I worked many years in reception and i never did the work of a runner. IS NOT A RECEPTIONIST DUTIES TO CLEAN TABLES!!!
You also greet and seat guests at their table.
Pros
Beautiful location
Cons
Bad management
You are expected to follow policy and procedure even though the team leaders and management don't themselves...
As a newbie it isn't my job to be reminding my manager what they should be doing or taking up the slack of others when they see an op to get the newbie to do the harder jobs. The food was subpar and kitchen hygiene was lacking. Would never eat here let alone work here.

Avoid
Pros
Cons
All of it
Misogyny, racism, bullying, harassment, discrimination, cronyism and worse are all part of the culture. Worked to death and treated like you should be grateful.
Pros
Money is good if you're a manager.
Cons
Money is the only reason to work there.
Worked at Norwich when they first opened. Soon found out that the owner is more interested in taking your tip/service charge money than the business. We got none of our tips that is company policy. You are not allowed to tell customers this either or you get disciplined. Once someone left and for that whole week of notice he told every customer this he made a lot of money and made that last week worthwhile. Customers were not happy either to find this out.. The owner makes millions from this and does not care about his staff at all. Only image and money.
He should try focusing more on staff well being and management. Some rely on tips to cover petrol, parking and cost of living in a city. This is why the staff turnover is so high.
Pros
Free lunch but soon gets boring having fish cake or shephards pie for dinner.
Cons
Long hours, no tips, no support.
They made it seem like it would be a great place to work, but that facade soon falls, long hours, no support from managers awful to be honest. The free meals on shifts would sometimes not be what you ordered.
Pros
Free meal(when the chefs has the time)
Cons
Longs hours, horrible managers
Only good thing about this workplace is the team you work with. Runners are looked at as the bottom of the food chain in the work hierarchy along with kitchen porters and barbacks.

Management look upon you with contempt, and there’s only a chance of moving positions if they like the look of you. Nepotism is rife. Barely any people of colour in front of house, majority of ethnic and racially diverse workers are all back of house members whilst the front of house team is whitewashed.

Don’t work for this place if you value your mental health. The wage was also extremely poor and barely enough to live off on if you plan on living somewhere other than your parents basement.

Free food sometimes though :)
Pros
clocking out
Cons
everything
One of the worst working experience in my life.Avoid is the usual big company with not respect.After this experience I change my career..to stressful.Bad management
Cons
Hospitality all sucks and this isnt a great place if you hate all hospitality but it is better than some places and you do get good food sometimes when they actually want to cook it and dont serve something horrible. It is NOT the same quality as guests food. chefs are very horrible and think people who arent chefs are less than them its very toxic. runners, waiters and bar are usually understaffed and working the job of two people and this is normal to them. managers some are good some talk down to you and the big managers rarely close. ur told progression is good in this company but its rare to see people get any progression at all
some of this is normal of all restaurants but the ivy is good at adding that fakeness where they pretend its all easy and high class but its at a large expense of the waiters and bar. their mental health comes after the high end service. the pay is ok but retail pays the same or more for easier work where ur not treated bad. oh, and ur social life is dead.
Pros
free lunches and a better hospitality job than most plus the gm is ok
Cons
a facade kept at the expense of ur mental health
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Ivy Collection?
I have been a food Runner in Cheltenham, and believe me i have never ever worked with or known People who would be so mean and treat a person like an item. This job gave me so much stress that i came home crying almost everyday due to being called names by chefs. If u want a decent job go to beefeater!
Pros
Leaving this job
Cons
Basically everything
This job is pretty calm as long as you aren’t lazy and you have half a brain. The food you get given on your break is very good. So many nice people work here, (even the chefs). Carrying the trays of food can be scary at first but all the best runners drop stuff so don’t worry too much. The job requires you to be on your feet and moving about a lot and the building is a bit small, but you will get used to it. The managers and chefs are understanding and quite relaxed all things considered.
Pros
Food
Cons
The rota changes often
The treatment you’ll receive will only last as long as you choose to put up with management taking the stress out on employees and unrealistic serving speed.
The decor and atmosphere should not blind you to how it’s run which isn’t to well at times.
Pros
Free lunch and decent staff discount which may be revoked at their discretion or not given at all
Cons
Rude management and overworking is likely.
Amazing place to work in, especially The Ivy in Clifton, cannot speak for all the Ivy around the country but Ivy Clifton is the best place I've ever worked in. Sometimes stressful, but if youre not prepared for stress do not work in hospitality.
good employer, fast paced, head office comms could be much better, the restaurants themselves are very good to work in but head office culture is terrible.
The managers/supervisors are kind people but I couldn't work there anymore as the language barrier between myself and other food runners was unbearable. After a while it was obvious I was being spoken about in another language which was very uncomfortable. Due to that and an injury (I'd gotten not when I worked there), I didn't feel the job was suitable for me anymore. After I left, they put me on the wrong tax code and didn't (still haven't) paid for the 20 hours I worked for my first week. Where I work now is more pay + holiday pay with less work.
Pros
Staff food
Cons
Language barrier
The best thing about the Ivy was working with passionate and competent people, a very special place.
I have worked in different restaurant and Ivy Brasserie was by far the best.
Having worked at two different Ivy Collection restaurants across the country, it is safe to say they really care about their staff. From the choice of food on the staff menu, to the flexible rotas fit to suit your schedules, you can tell we're well looked after. The management team are great and supportive in providing an enjoyable and professional work environment. They ensure you are working to your best ability, and teaching you many skills that can be applied to many jobs.
The company is only growing stronger and stronger. The Ivy Collection is managed by excellent business minds and is a great place to join, if you are ambitious and want to develop a career.
Hi,

I work for the Ivy Collection since 2015, this company is very much on top of the game. They look very well of their employees, giving benefits, giving a gift for their work anniversary, etc also employees are requested to do surveys, appraisals.

Is also a great company to progress and if you love hospitality this is a great company.

A plus we got an Ivy Hub app which includes all you need to know about the company and your job.
The company has a great people culture, great values and offers loads of support to its employees.
Every day is an unique experience, the company offers loads of development and loads of fun! Great vibe!
I worked there briefly but every minute every hour and every day was AWSOME great team collective and the management are spot on.
Working as a bartender and working in the profession for sometime I can say in a heartbeat best bar and team to work force
Pros
Tips, pay, teamwork and management