The Institute of Cancer Research

The Institute of Cancer Research Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Excellent work culture, lovely people, colleagues and seniors
Great perks, on site facilities

Opportunity to train and develop

Travelling from London can take its toll
ottimo posto, molto professionale e stimolante. Consigliato
Nice place to develop scientific and soft skills. Benevolent management. People are nice and fun. Management allows a lot automy with responsiblilities.
Working for such a prestigious and relevant institution I had high hopes for the organisation culture and work experience. Unfortunately I found that there was a significant level of poor people management, and favouritism. There was zero opportunity for professional development unless you were a scientist or in favour.

I found the HR department to be unprofessional and inadequately informed although other departments particularly IT and estate management were good.

Such a shame.
Pros
The research and core function is exceptional and the Surrey site is pleasant
Cons
Poor people management, lack of professional development, lack of respect for professional support services
Gute Ort um den PhD zu machen. Sehr kollaborative.
Although I only spent two weeks on an intern placement plan the atmosphere was amazing. I observed various experiments, a good work-life balance, great team mentality, communication of weekly news across all areas of research via email/intranet, clear support, and training opportunities for employees and performance are rewarded with the commitment to promotion from within.

Overall it's a good place to learn and be associated with cutting-edge science and research.
Great people doing a very important job. Made good friends and all managers are tasked to help you make your work easier.
It is a great place to work.
Great place for a short term contract. Growth perspectives, opportunity to attend internal/external courses and ability to share experiences outside of work hours. Was based in Sutton.
Working at the Institute of Cancer Research was a great experience, very friendly and dedicated people are working there . Fantastic place to work. I would definitely go back to work there again.
Working for such a purpose brings rewards of its own, however the ICR thrives on it's employees relentless prositivity and drive to succeed both personally and for the benefit of the company and its research.
Pros
Great Staff, easy to get along with. Good atmosphere.
Cons
Inconsistent management approach
Hard to do things as part of a team. People often too busy.
Some facilities simply do not work properly...you want a mass spec help for example and they don't even bother replying to your emails.
Este año en londres, y principalmente en ``the institute of cancer research´´, me ha servido para desarrollarme como persona, tanto a nivel personal como a nivel profesional.

He aprendido un monton de tecnicas, planificacion de trabajo, etc... En uno de los mejores centros de investigacion del cancer del mundo, y de la mano de los mejores doctores que existen en este area.
The best place to work.Great scope for learning. Work /life balance was good. Friendly environment. Management was very helpful.
Highly resourceful place, with great atmosphere to do good research in oncology.
Tendency towards marketing is off-putting, but probably a necessary evil. Also has a decreasing number of academics. Management ignores the huge amount of attrition occurring due to heavy handedness of some individuals.
Pros
Relaxed environment, well funded
Cons
Distributed sites (hour and half apart)
Typical day includes, molecular biology, cell biology, in vivo, training staff and management of lab.

My co-workers are fantastic.

Hardest part is lack of job security based on funding issues.

Most enjoyable part of the job is my reseach on preventing tumour metastasis and also communicating this work to the lay fundraisers/donors
Worked 9am until 5pm.
I learned more about Scientific Computing.

A Linear Management Structure.

Very professional and easy going.

Organising the Business Analysts who where sited in a different office.

The flexibility such as home working.
The ICR is a charitable organization that is both educational and research facility in the fight against cancer
Pros
Free gym, onsite canteen and bar facilities.
Cons
Advancement opportunites
Learned to use Agresso, friendly co-workers, work long hours at month-end, like the travelling that to meet stakeholder offsite and excellent working conditions.
Pros
location to some of the nest resturant and bars
Cons
none really
Depending on the time of the year, my job is fun and very enjoyable.
I can go on lots of diffrent courses as long as they are relevent to my job. My line manager is fantastic but the higher managers are abit more quite and less interactive. Co-workers are easy to talk to and really easy to get on with. there is'nt a hard part to my job. Most enjoyable part of my job is the people i have a laugh and joke with and to get grate feed back from people when you have a done a good job.
Pros
free gym
Cons
stuck on a wage scale