The Hut Group Employee Reviews

Security management are a joke
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 October 2019
After a long time working for The Hut Group as a security manager I need to express how terrible the place is.
Senior management: The management throughout the company is shocking due to many very immature people being promoted too soon, because it is a "cool" thing for a company to do. This is a general problem that the Hut Group is facing but it is worse when working in security due to the attitude of the senior staff. The group head of security is the best example of this. It seems he was lucky to get the role because his senior employed him because they worked together in the military (jobs for the boys) which shows how corrupt even the security team is. He seeks to further his own career by stepping on others which is common at the Hut by both us management staff and below.
Culture: Bullying is a serious problem here at the Hut and is the reason that I am leaving. Seeing people get spoken to like naughty children or ignored because they are actually good at their job and actually show up their lazy seniors is a poor company attribute. The expectancy to work 12-15 hour days 5 days a week means that your salary is under industry norms. The so called unicorn company relies on behind big investments that allow it to hide its poor performance. Buy buy buy and fake it until they make it is the unofficial motto here.
To sum it up, I would not take another role at the Hut and would advise anyone considering it to avoid it unless you are desperate for work. Definitely avoid any security roles and don't be surprised to have your enthusiasm sucked dry by the two faced senior
  more... management if you do take a role.  less
Pros
Big name that people fall foul of thinking means something
Cons
Culture, long hours, management quality, salary
Stressful and negative environment
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington13 October 2019
Poor management
Very stressful due to constant pressure to achieve KPI’s
The management team is a clique have to be a brown nose to get anywhere. Overall bad experience
Pros
Cons
Long hours, stressful
Please don’t bother
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire2 October 2019
Management are awful. You are treated like a nobody, you are just a number. You only get somewhere if your related to someone in the higher departments. Possibly the worst job I’ve been in. No help or support for anything in the job role or personally. They are very belittling and some occasions can relate to bullying. The hours are ridiculous too.
Cons
Keep your sanity at home, you will lose it here.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northwich1 October 2019
Customer service is provided under management that often do not know the answer and often the customer is telling you information that you should have already been told.
Support structure is laughable to what is expected of you for long hours, few breaks and barely any holidays over the year to keep your mental health in check.
The people you meet within the role will make the job 1000% times better and you will support each other through the tough time of working there. Mental health from stress and anxiety will take a battering for the work you are put under and lack of support you will get.
AVOID
Brilliant place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northwich29 September 2019
Brilliant set of people working here. Laid back company with lots of room for career development. Miss working this place in all fairness. Gutted I had to leave when I did.
There's a reason there are so many bad reviews..
Support (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 September 2019
Yep - there is a reason why there are so many bad reviews spanning across multiple sites! It really is a horrendous place to work. There is absolutely no support from management.. No direction for your role. No praise or gratitude for the work you do AND the constant extra time you have to put in due to under staffing. If your face doesn't fit, you're out! Just heed the bad warnings and trust me, stay out of this place.
Pros
Commutable location via public transport
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no work life balance, no management, no support, no direction, no free parking
Avoid at all costs
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire11 September 2019
I had the unfortunate experience of working in the Northwich office as a Graduate service desk analyst. In reality I was thrown into a situation where training was non-existant and any mistakes were punishable. Eventually after hours of over time, flexibility and educating myself ooh, they had the audacity to extend my probation for another 6 months. Obviously I quit the following week.

I didn't mention that my manager had no experience in IT but was friends with fellow managers which substituted any experience needed.

There are many clicks and if you were not recruited by a friend, you do not stand a chance in any promotion or pay rises. They will remove you within a year.

The company is only ever just about holding itself up. Staff turnover it extremely high and their owners slander any ex employees calling them lazy. Do some basic google searches and you will see what I mean.

There is a reason they barely do business in the UK and he majority of brands are based abroad.
chaotic workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire8 September 2019
Team leaders never need to work
throw loads of work unto employees
you have no promotion if you don't flatter your team leaders
Long hours, less pay
modern slavery box
Enjoyable workplace - poor management
Partnership Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester29 August 2019
Loved my role, learn/progress very quickly as get to take on many responsibilities but salary not there to back it up.
I value my time at THG but decided to move on for the sake of my long-term career.
Could be a lot better if management did more to support their staff.
Multi skilled operator (Former Employee) –  Warrington28 August 2019
Started off great but over time realised there was no future there.Given too many false promises and not enough support. Expected to be on your emails 24/7. Bit of a shambles actually.
Non responsive
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 August 2019
Don’t bother to reply. Non responsive HR team even after follow up. HR advisor was rude and abrupt, was unable to answer basic queries in relation to the position and promised a call back which never came. AVOID AT ALL COSTS
The hut group
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire20 August 2019
good company long shift 9.50 per/h i worked 1 year there in outbound team /inbound team i do several job the shifts that i worked starts sunday and end tuesday 12 hours per day i worked with contract but i had to go into my country had some problems and i came back after 5 months . Now i want to try something new
Bullish management
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northwich, uk19 August 2019
The hut group is not a good environment for someone young and taking their first steps into the workplace. The managers are young and in experienced. You are treated like children and spoken to with little respect. They change the goal posts all the time eg shifts and expect you to drop everything to accommodate otherwise, ‘you will be sacked’. I personally felt intimidated, unsupported and actually bullied by my manager and would definitely not recommend this a place to work
Pros
Cons
Management, shifts, hours, lack of respect
Avoid avoid avoid
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Warrington14 August 2019
Security manager is nothing but a clueless bully, goes through half a dozen guards a week, I diddnt stand a chance there as no body does ,expect 12 hours a slavery with no sitting like the SAS avoid avoid avoid
Advice to hut group is get staff who love the job not themselves
Useless place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire22 July 2019
This is the worse company going. I've been today to do a 12 hourshift for them. Then at the end of the shift they say I'm not needed tomorrow after I've already been told it was ongoing work. I advice people to stay well away from this place because they will do the same trick to you to.
I'm not a happy guy at the moment:(
Pros
2 brakes
Cons
Staff arnt very friendly
Awful and mafia-like management
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire14 July 2019
I worked at this company for nearly 3 years. They do what they want with the workers, they lie to them and there's only room for their friends to grow, no matter how good you are at something.

I ended up stressed and had to leave because some mafia like supervisors and managers from my department (b2b) put me on the lowest jobs to benefit their friends even though they new I was good at some computer jobs. I saw a lot of cases like mine. You can't even get help from HR because they only care about company's numbers.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, bad environment, impossible targets, short breaks and huge queues to leave the building
Non Productive and Not Fun
Warehouse operator (Former Employee) –  Warrington9 July 2019
The Hut Group is a company that has gone from a Hut to 400 million profit in 5 years, and is growing faster than it can cope. Sub standard management annoys employees, and junior managers are not capable of the functions they are given. Legitimate grievances are ignored and union membership has skyrocketed.
Working processes are failures, such as the live racks that are not live: the boxes of products do Not slide forward because the angle is not enough. Staff does not know how to use the in house computer systems.
The high level business strategy is correct, they are buying out the suppliers.
Pros
Alternate 3 or 4 days off
Cons
12 hour shifts
senior video producer
Creative Lead - Video Producer - Myprotein (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire9 July 2019
Treatment of staff whilst at work and after leaving is terrible. They only look after the sales , buyers and trade teams, They underpay and expect the world in return. One of the hardest places to work and stay motivated and excited about a role i've ever worked in.
Pros
zero
Cons
everything
Depressing place
Cleaning Operative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire2 July 2019
Worse place I have ever worked. To many polish, job boring, don't go there you LL wish you were dead. Did have canteen but not much else , I am glad I don't need the job that much.
Cons
Very very very bad experience
Operator (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire30 June 2019
Very bad experience management from this company have big problem, much people was maltreated there .no body care,not discipline,all members from THE HR don't care about the people who work there.dont have any respect ..
Pros
Bad bad company
Cons
Very bad experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hut Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5